• Published 20th Nov 2016
  • 727 Views, 7 Comments

The Search - newHelm



With Rarity trapped in Tartarus, Spike goes to save her, but can he do it before Shadowfang arises once again to destroy all he loves.

  • ...
2
 7
 727

Solution?

Spike wiped his blade off as he stood next to his friends. A field of bodies lay in front of them, more monsters from Sombra's party. "He's getting desperate at this point. He just keeps sending them in droves."

Shining Armor frowned, his armor no longer shining and quite dented. A few pieces were missing. "Have you ever known Sombra to ever get desperate. He never panics, which makes him dangerous. He's playing with us, making us too tired to fight. When we get there, we won't be able to stand at this rate."

Fancy Pants was missing his pith, but for the most part seemed unscathed. "I concur, his tactics are an old trick, albeit a more savage and less safe version. We need a rotation of sorts, something to keep us spry."

Macintosh nodded. "Thee fight, two stand by. Rotate each fight."

Discord nodded. "Sounds good, I'll stay fighting though. When we get to Tartarus, I can't join you. My brother has locked me out, in a way. I can pretty much only appear to be there."

Macintosh raised a brow and Spike chuckled. "He's right, you aren't doing much fighting now. We probably wouldn't even notice you gone."

"Fine." Discord flipped his long blond hair at them as he turned away, swinging his giant red purse dramatically. "Be mean, but I'm going to have to blog about this. Let the world know my pain."

They all gave strange looks to him before Fancy shook his head. "Anyway, to keep things even, I propose myself then Spike, Shining Armor, and Big Macintosh. Armor and I providing heavy combat, and the others light."

Nodding, they all went to continue the journey, but Spike stopped them. "Hey guys, hold up."

They turned and faced him as he fidgeted nervously. "Well, you see, I just. Okay, I just wanted to say thanks. Thank you for helping me on this crazy, insanely dangerous, and yes selfish quest of mine. It would never work without you all. So thanks guys."

Shining Armor snorted and then laughed. "Spike, getting sentimental. This is hilarious. Of course we would help. If it was Cadence, I would stop at nothing, just like you, and I know you would be there in a heartbeat. Not just because you know her either. That's what friends do."

Big Macintosh nodded with a grin. "Eeyep."

Spike nodded and lowered his head. "Yeah, but you didn't have to. So still thanks."

Fancy Pants put a hoof on his back. "Come on my boy, we must be off. So you know, I had to. I care about you, as I'm sure the rest do as well. We would never leave you be on something so dangerous. You have to learn to trust your friends more."

Spike smiled and they continued onward. Once they were out of sight, Sombra appeared. He stood contemplative as he absorbed his surroundings. "Hmm, trust your friends. Oh if it were only so simple." Shadows wrapped around him and he disappeared.


Twilight paced back and forth, making strange gestures and obscure comments. "If he's, then that means. But no, then that would. Hold on, then."

Form rubbed his face then pinched his nose. "Please, Twilight, there's more." He motioned to the cushion. "For example, Discord and myself are swords."

She stopped and stared wide eyed at him. "The Blade of Life's Bane that Sombra mentioned."

"Yes, which is me. Discord is the Blade of Death's Bane. I, when wielded, bring death, he life. It does come with a price. Life's Bane also kills the wielder, and any who touch it. Death's Bane, well, you must already have the capacity of immortality to wield it or else life force comes flowing into you with some strange effects. The last to wield Discord exploded, merging with the universe. Matter of fact, Celestia used it once and turned into a tree."

"A tree?"

"Yes, which in turn seeded and created the Everfree forest. So technically, she's their mother. Tell her I told you that, and that it was because of the tea maker.

"Anyway Shadowfang was placed on trial as Lilly studied Night Light. It was a quick trial, with my brother and it seemed at the time Old gods agreeing that Shadowfang was in fact one of the Living gods. Celestia and Luna were outraged but adhered to our laws. Laws which state all other Living gods must be in agreement to expel or execute one of our own, and my brother and me refused. I did, however, demand he be reprimanded as well as allow Lilly's continued study of Night Light.

"Shadowfang was exiled from our courts for three years, which he devoted to his war. Celestia and Luna pulled out their support, as did the Crystal Empire who did not recognize Night Light as ruler. Lilly and I, we saw the two almost as if they were our kids, and saw the whole ordeal as some drunken party they threw. Punish, reprimand, remember, forgive. Until Lilly's research provided results.

"She first studied Night Light as a pony, how did she act. Well, she acted like Eclipse, but Lilly said she was off somehow. Then she studied her use of magic. It appeared the same, except the colour was off."

"Let me guess, purple and green."

"Yes, but then when she studied the magic residue, that's when it all came out. As you know, magic is directed when used, but dark magic is the subjugation of said force. While that fact would just seem a quirk to most, myself included, it clicked all the pieces together for Lilly. Night Light showed signs of both Star Light and Eclipse's personality. Mainly Eclipse's desire and Star's need for attention. It also showed signs of subjugation magic from Shadowfang. We didn't believe he could enslave the love of his life, so when she told us, only Celestia believed he could. He did though, he subjugated her spirit, forcibly pulling it back and shoving it into a host body. She confronted him, and what happened," He paused, looking away from her. Tears falling from Form's eyes. Teeth and hands clenched, he stood slowly.

Turning to face the wall, he spoke softly with his back to Twilight. "Lilly was the leading expert in biological and medical science. She could tell you eye and hair colour from bones. She was a marvel. As such, she performed several autopsies and taught much of the hows and whys to Greytooth. That is what he did to Star Light. He dissected her alive and used her as a template to modify his own body with magic, before draining her life essence. That is also what happened to your predecessor."

They stayed there in silence. The horror of what she just heard, the sorrow of Form, her shame for understanding and in ways sympathizing with Shadowfang.

After about an hour, Form continued. "After that was unrest. Celestia and I gathered the Living gods together to eliminate him, but Discord stood dumbstruck. He seemed to be unable to comprehend his failure. That his plan had failed so completely. We put into motion our plans to stop him. It was hard on me as well, Greytooth was like my son, but my rage was greater still. Yet my so called brother stood still and did nothing.

"In the end, battle erupted. Six Living gods against Shadowfang, we lost two more of our numbers. That finally shook Discord from his stupor, but it was too late. Shadowfang had become the Demon god. He created many different races of monsters, including the umbra, and using his vast power and armies, hunted the dragons to near extinction. A race of nearly a hundred species, reduced to but a handful of them. I've lived many tens of thousands of years, and I can honestly say, Shadowfang is the greatest threat this world has ever seen. The horrors he wrought upon this planet, scared even the Olden gods into exile.

"By the way, you may come in." Twilight spun around and saw Rarity enter, shame covering her face.

Form smiled at her. "Peace Lady, you should hear all of this as well. After all it does involve you and your beloved."

Rarity smiled and sat next to Twilight. "Thank you, but first, how about some refreshments." Her horn glowed dark blue and sparkled, with drinks appearing before them. "Sorry, but I figured you both could use a drink."

Picking up his drink, Form smiled as he sipped. "Thank you Eclipse."