• Published 1st Jul 2012
  • 1,538 Views, 20 Comments

Friendship is an Imagination - CookiesOnFridays



Twilight Sparkle, a smart mare who believes in her friends. But does she really have friends?

  • ...
4
 20
 1,538

Rarity and Fluttershy

(Well summer fever is gone… Now I’m really bored and I can focus on writing… Maybe… I decided this will still be a beta until chapter 5 because there will be a twist.)
Chapter 3- Rarity and Fluttershy

“Miss. Sparkle, are you alright? You haven’t moved ever since you stepped into this room.”

I just stood where I was, mesmerized by the beauty of the entire room…

My new care taker coughed and looked at the chamber around us, “I am sorry to say this Miss. Sparkle, but I don’t know how you are struck so well upon these… Well… Books…”

You heard him! Books… This place was filled with books from top to bottom. I didn’t care what kind of books they were but I didn’t get to read anything for a week or so. My brain was dying to read something, to smell the old scent of wood and pine in my nostrils, to feed my mind with knowledge and imagination.

“Hush…” I said still gazing upon the neat stacks of books all around me. “You’re ruining the moment…”

In the corner of my eye my new care taker rolled his eyes again and trotted away. Leaving me to enjoy the beautiful sight!

The room was tall as a tower with a great spiral staircase reaching all the way to the top. The staircases were connected to the large bookcases so I could take one book out and read them whenever I pleased.

Finally dropping my gaze, I looked at the rest of my surroundings. This looked like a study and I spotted some open doorways. Curious, I decided to explore my surroundings more. Entering one of the open doorways, I came upon the bedroom fit for a dragon. And when I mean dragon, I really mean a dragon. This room was smaller than the study but was very royal, like something out of a fairy tale. The floor was covered from corner to corner by a fluffy rug.

“Wow… So this is the Princess’s room….”

“Holy mother of apples, this room is huge!”

I turned around sharply to meet my friend Applejack who looked just as mesmerized as me.

I just smiled, “Well Applejack, I never knew you liked books-“

“Not the books Twi, I talkin’ bout this room… The bedroom! I’ve never seen anything so large and roomy like this one!”

I watched as she dashed for the bed and placed herself comfortably with her tushy up.

Applejack let out a soft moan, “Oh yeah this feels real good…”

I rolled my eyes and walked back into the study room to see what kind of books there were to read. Since the Princess was alive for such a long time, I bet she has really old books like the ancient times of dragons! Or even the story of the dark plague. Or even better! The story of the-

“Oh my! The story of the crowned jewels! This book is extremely rare, you know my dear?”

My turned around turned toward the direction of the voice. I let out a small gasp as I remembered that familiar marshmallow coat and the majestic purple mane.

“Rarity!?” I said stunned.

“What is it? My, my, you look very surprised! Why, you didn’t forget about me now did you Twilight?”

I shook my head still stunned, “No it’s not that, it’s just… How did you get past this high level of security?”

Even though this was the royal room, it was heavily patrolled by guards outside and in the hallways. I figured it was because whenever the Princess got a little loco, they needed someone to stop her.

Rarity just laughed and she flipped her mane. “Oh you know very well what I am capable of. I almost seduced a dragon to leave! Do you not remember?”

“Yeah I guess so… Wait… Was Applejack with you?”

“Well of course! How do you think she got in? A mare like her can’t even get in without having to buck one of the stallion’s jewels off… And speaking of jewels the guards each had a ruby on their armor... Maybe I could-“

“Don’t even think about it Rarity.”

“Oh come on! You know I was just joking.”

“Hey now what’s all this ruckus that y’all are makin’?” Applejack said as she popped into the room.

Rarity just looked at Applejack with disgust, “Honestly Applejack, you must really wash up before taking a nap! Did you even wash your hooves?”

“Now listen here missy… I don’t mess with your things and you just don’t mess with mine and we’ll all be fine and dandy ya hear?”

“I couldn’t agree more my dear. But really… Why don’t you go wash your hooves?”

I looked at Applejack as she just sighed and she walked towards a bathroom. And I swear she said something about how apples were like dirty jewels.

“Well now that she is out of the way… Why don’t we have a cup of tea?”

------------------------------

As we sipped our tea Rarity explained everything that has happened since I was gone. She explained how business was rather going slow and how things were boring without the entire six. I also asked her about Rainbow Dash and how she was doing. But all she did was shrug.

“Rainbow Dash doesn’t really talk to us anymore… Whenever you were around she would just say something just out of the ordinary… I swear she acts like I’m not there.”

“Well she is Rainbow Dash. She says she’s fresh and everything so I wouldn’t blame her for being ‘cool’.”

Rarity took a cracker, “Speaking of Rainbow Dash, didn’t you just explain how you met her with the Princess?”

I nodded my head, “Yes and I just got to the part on how I met Pinkie Pie.”

“Oh my dear you just have to tell me about how you met moi! I love to be flattered once in a while. Please! Just this once, tell me about how you met your lovely friend Rarity?”

As she gave me her ‘por favor’ face and I just sighed.

“Alright fine… But only this once.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

It has been a few months since I’ve been here in the University. So far, I had the highest grade average in my class, which wasn’t a surprise, and everything was going swell. All my friends were here with me. Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack were all huddled in our little group peering through a piece of glass that blocked us from the most wonderful thing in the world…

Rainbow Dash licked her lips. “Oh I just want that so badly… I really need it-“

“Hush Rainbow Dash, it’s mine!… That texture... That beautiful pattern that resemble stars-“

Pinkie started to rub herself against the window, “To me it resembles pickles, barrels, and cumquats! Pickle barrel cumquat! Pickle barrel cumquat! Pickle barrel cumquat!”

Applejack just laughed and smacked Pinkie in the back. “Now listen here all of y’all! That dress is mine and mine only!”

“Sure Applejack whatever you say.” I said as I rolled my eyes.

I noticed Rainbow Dash looking at me with an eyebrow raised and I also raised my eyebrows.

“Why are you staring at me like that Rainbow?”

“Well I uh… Never mind! What do you think of this dress Twilight?”

I fixed my gaze upon the dress once again and felt my eyes get big like dinner plates. I honestly didn’t know what to make of this dress. Not only did it show such grace and beauty, it was the fabric itself…

Universal Silk

This dress was made out of Universal Silk which was very hard to come by. It would have taken decades to make this type of dress. People in the University say that it was fake, but everyone knows that is a lie. Only Universal Silk can show you-

“Your Hearts Desire… That’s what the dress is called… I so want this dress!” Rainbow said as she opened her mouth and licked the glass.

Applejack turned to her and recoiled in disgust, “You know, maybe you should have more manners like Twi and Pinkie here-“

I coughed and pointed at Pinkie who was panting and slobbering all over the glass like a dog.

“Oh that water hose! Let’s go inside the store Twilight, that girl’s spraying water all over the place.” Rainbow Dash said as she opened the door to the store.

I just raised my eyebrows once again, “What water hose?”

Rainbow Dash just face hoofed herself, “Just get in here, Twilight.”

“Well me and Pinkie here will catch y’all later. We got to get to our next class.”

“Alright see you later Applejack-“

I didn’t get to finish my sentence as Rainbow Dash grabbed me and closed the door against my face.

Rainbow Dash huffed and shook her head, “Who the heck were you talking to Twilight?”

“Huh?”

“Don’t play dumb with me Twilight. Is this some kind of prank or something? Cause it has gone real long enough you know.”

“I uh… I… Well…”

I started feeling tears swell up in my eyes. I may have been a smart head, but I got the gist of what Rainbow was saying.

Rainbow Dash turned her frown from frowning, to surprise, then to a face of laugher.

“I-I was just kidding Twi! Of course I could see your- our friends Applejack and uh Pinkie Pie! Isn’t that right AJ?” Rainbow said as she hung her arm to well… The air…

This time I had to laugh, “You do realize that Applejack left with Pinkie right?”

“Huh?” Rainbow Dash looked to her hooked arm. “Well that mare is as sneaky as an… An apple worm-“

“Um… If you mares don’t mind I ,um… Well… It’s just that if you don’t have any business here I will have to well… Uh… I will have to ask you to leave…”

The voice was almost impossible to hear so I frowned and looked around the room, “Did you hear something?”

Rainbow just nodded her head and looked around, “Who was that?”

The voice was still very soft but this time I felt my ears perk up.

“I… I… I’m sorry, you could stay here as long as you like-“

I aimed my head at the direction of the voice and pounced behind Rainbow Dash, landing on a soft, squishy, yellow coated pink maned mare.

The mare seemed extremely terrified but smiled and bit her lip, “I uh… Well I am… This position I uh…”

“Oh… Oh… OH! Oh I am so sorry! I didn’t mean to do that-“

“Now, now what is all this noise? I just can’t focus on my work with all this noise and such.”

My attention turned toward another mare as she walked into the room. My mouth almost opened as I’ve never seen someone as white (Note- I don’t mean in a racist way), clean, and elegant as this mare before me. She had royal-like purple hair that curled elegantly at the end and her tail was absolutely gorgeous.

-----------------------------------------

“Oh darling you simple express me so very well!”

I smiled at the compliment, “Well you are Rarity. And there is no reason to not describe you as well as this, now is there?”

“I suppose you’re right Twilight dear. But I say that this is the part where you’ve also met Fluttershy as well?”

I nodded my head.

-------------------------------------------------

“So you run this entire place by yourself?” Rainbow Dash said rushing back and forth looking at each individual piece of clothing.

The yellow mare nodded her head, “Yep, I use different types of fabrics like silk and-“

While the both of them chit chatting at the other end of the room, I got to get to know Rarity. She turned out to be a total fashionista.

“Honestly, the uniforms in this University are absolutely horrid! I mean, look at those stripes across from the shoulder to the waist! And the colors, blue for stallions and red for mares, it should be the total opposite!”

I just nodded my head as she just kept on rambling on for hours and hours. I didn’t understand what she was saying most of the time because she was talking about different types of fabric, so I just stood there nodding my head like an idiot.

“You’re not listening to me, are you my dear?”

I nodded my head but I quickly snapped out of my trance and shook my head instead.

The mare laughed as she patted my mane, “Oh you, I really like you. It’s nice to have company around here besides Fluttershy over there.”

I looked at the squishy yellow mare who was still talking to Rainbow Dash.

“So that’s her name.”

“Mhmm. She is really nice but she can be really shy. She always ignores me for some strange reason… But I got used to it and hid that thought in the back of my head.”

-------------------------------

I shook my head, “I still find it strange that Fluttershy ignores you most of the time.”

Rarity just let out a small sigh and sipped her tea, “I know my dear… It still breaks my heart to hear that. But still I am just glad we’re friends.”

-----------------------------

After my little chat with Rarity, she disappeared into what I figured was the supply room. With that done, I approached Fluttershy who was giggling well uh… Timidly.

“So…Um… what are you guys talking about?”

Rainbow Dash looked at me and gave me a smile, “Oh nothing. We were just catching up together.”

“What do you mean catching up?” I said frowning.

Rainbow Dash face hoofed herself, “Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you now didn’t I?”

“Tell me what?”

Rainbow Dash hugged Fluttershy and continued laughing. After a few minutes of constant heart filled laughter she stopped and placed an elbow on me.

“Twilight, meet Fluttershy. Fluttershy, Twilight.”

The yellow mare shyly bowed her head, “H-H-Hello. M-My name is Fluttershy- Wait but you may know that already… Oh I-I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to waste your time and I-“

“Oh stop crying Fluttershy! She’s not going to hurt you.” Rainbow Dash said dragging her closer towards me.

I kept my smile up and as a bit of time went by I got to know Fluttershy a bit more. I learned that her special talent was taking care of animals and was currently studying how to make clothes at this University.

I also learned that she was one of Rainbow Dash’s old friends from Summer Fly Camp when they were just fillies. To me, it was actually a major surprise since she never even mentioned Fluttershy before. But as they finished explaining and they continued laughing I just smiled deeply.

‘Must have been a while since you got to see her Rainbow Dash.’

-------------------------

“Well ain’t that mighty cheesy, Twi!”

I turned around to see wet Applejack wrapped in a towel smiling at me.

I sighed, “What did you get yourself into this time?”

She just gave me a super big grin. “I just had the best bath/shower ever! You have to check it out Twilight!”

“Oh me first! Me first! I haven’t taken a shower since this morning! Well that is if Twilight here doesn’t mind.”

I shook my head, “I don’t mind at all.”

Rarity clapped her hooves together and dashed for the bathroom. After she disappeared behind the door Applejack said that she was going to head home after she was all dried up.

“You sure you don’t want to spend the night here? We haven’t had our sleep over yet you know?”

Applejack just shook her head, “I’m sorry Twi, but I need to be up and at the farm tomorrow early morning. And we can have the sleep over later and also tell Rarity that I said night.”

“Alright, don’t you worry Applejack, I’ll tell her everything.”

Finally when Applejack was gone I was allowed to take a little breather. Taking another look at my surroundings one last time I retreated toward the bedroom where I plopped down and picked up a book.

“Ahhh…” I said letting out a deep sigh.

I was finally at peace… My mind was clear, and I was able to do as a please…

I didn’t know when I felt my eyes become heavy as led, but at some point I fell into a deep hard sleep. I had no dream, nor did I see light or darkness but a dawn. Two paths diverged in half of the sun and moon. One showed shadows of evil, and the other showed shadows of warmth. I had no idea what choice to make, but I decided to take a different road. Making my own path, I concentrated and opening a tunnel that combined them together. But as I walked toward my own path, the darkness seemed to cover the sun. I knew I was too far away to turn back so I had to keep going forward.

The trees started to shift and come to life and their branches turned into claws. Their blank trunks turning into the grim faces of evil and terror. I needed something happy, something to make them go away. Something pink… Something soft… But that mare was nowhere to be found…

“Twilight…” The voice echoed in my head.

“Twilight I’m over here…”

I looked all around me to see where my friend was but all I saw were the faces of evil trees coming out of their roots.

“P-Pinkie!?” I said franticly, “W-Where are you!? I need your help! Please save me, I don’t want to go on this path anymore!”

The mare’s voice erupted into a voice of laughter filled with snorting and honks, “Oh Twilight you know what to do! Remember, you have to always-“

I felt something cold and hard grab my waist and lift me off my hooves. I squirmed and bucked back and forth but to no avail.

“Let go of me! Please let go! I don’t want to walk on this path anymore!”

“Oh but it’s too late…”

I opened my eyes to see the tree truck talk. But that was the biggest mistake that I’ve ever made. The trunk held Pinkies face but was all torn and her eyes were nothing but dark sockets. Her teeth were stained with dried blood and her mane seemed to scream out evil as it flickered from black to crimson red.

“As I told you…”

Pinkies voice started to change as she took my body close to her mouth.

“You always have to face your fears!”

“NOOOO!”

I woke up with a jolt, panting and struggling for breath as I gathered up the soft sheets close to my chest. The nightmare was very unnerving.

But as I shivered, I didn’t notice my care taker opening the curtains and approaching me with a silver cart.

“Good morning Miss. Twilight Sparkle. I’ve brought you breakfast!”

I looked at my care taker and I just stuffed my head back into the sheets.

I heard my care taker sigh, “Is something wrong Madam Sparkle? You must eat your breakfast, or else you will be too weak to get better.”

“B-But I’m not crazy…” I said still shivering.

My care taker took a place on my bed, “Miss. Sparkle… I’ve served in this hospital for ten years and I can assure you, this place isn’t right for you. No, what you need is somewhere outside of here. Of course there are limitations but I think we can arrange something if… Well your friends are willing to help you.”

I sniffed, “W-What do you mean by friends? Princess Celestia says I don’t have any friends… A-And that their all just in my head! What am I supposed to do? I’ll be stuck here forever-“

“No Miss. Sparkle… I mean your real friends…”

I looked up at my care taker and I blinked…

The care taker just gave me a meek smile, “Yes Miss. Sparkle. Your friends... Your existing friends… I have permission from the chief of security to escort you toward the visiting room. I must say though she is rather shy.”

Just from him saying shy I knew who it was.

“Fluttershy… Fluttershy’s here?”

(End Note- BAH! I just want to punch myself for being a lazy arse and I still am. I guess I’m enjoying my Summer a little too much. I planned on finishing this chapter 2 weeks ago and look at where I am! I’m so far behind on my other projects that I just want to flip a table over! Damn it… Oh well I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter. I’ll probably update maybe in 2 weeks… And I promise this time!)

(Editor’s note: Hi, I’m CookiesOnFridays’s editor! I won’t mention my name but thanks for reading this story! Oh, and if you think I should change anything, please let me know through any comments and such. Thanks!)