• Published 8th Nov 2016
  • 2,311 Views, 47 Comments

The Star Child - Joeycrick



A shooting star in Ponyville marks the arrival of the first Star Child. (Prequel to "Freedom Yoshi Planet" by LawtonCash.)

  • ...
1
 47
 2,311

Chapter 7: BOOM! Egg Shot!

"Huh… very interesting."

Yoshi and the Crusaders had just finished recounting the events of their picnic while Twilight listened curiously, jotting down notes.

"So you were laying eggs right after eating fruit?" she asked, her eyebrow raised. Yoshi gave a nod of his head. "That's strange…" the alicorn said as she placed her notebook and quill back into her saddlebag. "You've eaten enough fruit to fill up the barn at Sweet Apple Acres, but this is the first time this has happened- PINKIE PIE, WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THAT EGG?!"

Behind the four youngsters was Pinkie Pie, laying on her back as she juggled one of the eggs with her hooves. Rolling onto her hooves, she began bouncing the egg like a soccer ball against her back.

Twilight's eyes widened as she snatched the egg mid-bounce with her magic. "What are you thinking, Pinkie Pie?!" she exclaimed loudly, waving her hooves wildly. "Why would you just juggle an egg around?! What if it breaks?!"

Pinkie merely shrugged. "I just took a look at it, and I suddenly got this weird, sudden urge to just bounce it around, y'know?"

"But what if it's a child?!" Twilight yelled. Her remark caused Yoshi to flinch nervously. He wasn't prepared to take on adult responsibilities just yet.

"Nah, it's good," Pinkie Pie said with a wave of her hoof. "No egg babies here!"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "And you know this, HOW, exactly?"

"Hello?" Pinkie said, as if the answer was clearly obvious. She reached into her poofy mane and pulled out a pair of goggles with green lenses on them. "X-ray goggles!"

"Pinkie, you got those from a cereal box, they don't actually- AHHHHH!!!" As Pinkie slipped the glasses over Twilight's eyes, the alicorn saw the x-ray glasses were, in fact, actual x-ray goggles.

"Yeah, and the eggs don't have babies in them, just a whole bunch of glowy stuff!" Pinkie said as Twilight took a glance at the eggs.

"Hang on... this looks a bit like... like magic," Twilight remarked, a look of surprise on her face. "But... how?"

Yoshi took one of the eggs in his hands and looked at it, thinking for a moment. "You think it has something to do with my Star?"

Twilight gave the goggles back to Pinkie and placed her hoof on her chin. "Probably. And honestly? This might sound crazy, but Pinkie might've been onto something."

The Crusaders looked at Twilight with a dumbfounded expression. "Say what?" Apple Bloom replied. "What was she on about?"

"Duh! She's talking about this!" With that, Pinkie grabbed an egg and casually lobbed it over her shoulder.

What happened next, no one was expecting.

The egg streaked through the air, slamming against the side of a tree. Instead of shattering upon impact, however, it ricocheted off into another direction with a loud *PEW!*, the green spots on the shell changing into a yellow color.

"Wha...?" Twilight and the Crusaders watched with their jaws dropped as the egg shot in the direction of a fence. With another *PEW!*, it bounced off again towards another tree.

"I don't believe this..." Scootaloo muttered, her eyes fixated on the projectile as it flew through the air, its spots now red. It slammed against the tree, exploding on impact with a loud *POP!*and stripping the target of its leaves.

Yoshi and Twilight were incredibly dumbstruck, both of them watching the leaves fall from the branches, leaving them bare. "Uh... what just happened...?" Yoshi slowly said.

"Did that egg just...?" Sweetie Belle murmured, now looking at the other eggs.

Her curiosity piqued, Twilight began rummaging through her saddlebags for her notebook and quill. As she prepared to take more notes, she turned towards Yoshi. "Try giving one of those eggs a toss," she said, smiling eagerly like a schoolfilly.

Yoshi hesitated at first. "Um... are you sure about this?"

"There's something special about those eggs you laid," Twilight explained. "And you know how much I love an opportunity to learn more about you."

Still skeptical, Yoshi nodded and took one of the eggs in his hand. As he held it, he felt something emanating from the egg. Something full of energy, almost like...

Magic... is this what Twilight was talking about...? Hmm… Bouncing the egg in his hand to get a feel for it, Yoshi turned towards a series of bullseyes that Pinkie had pulled completely out of nowhere. His eyes narrowing, he took aim and threw the egg as hard as he could.

The egg smashed against the first target, the spots turning yellow as it ricocheted towards the second one. Twilight was scribbling excitedly as the egg bounced off the second target and turned red. "This is incredible! I've never seen anything like this before!"

The Cutie Mark Crusaders were just as awestruck as their eyes followed the egg. With a loud *POP!*, the egg smashed against the final target and exploded.

Did you just bank shot that egg?!” Scootaloo exclaimed as she turned towards Yoshi, who had his jaw hanging open in shock.

“I wasn’t really trying to...” he murmured. “It just... happened.”

The scratching of Twilight’s quill stopped for a brief moment as she looked up. “So that trick shot was unintentional, Yoshi?” she asked. “Interesting... you think it’s the egg’s magic that caused that, or perhaps it’s a natural ability that comes to you instinctively, without you really thinking about it?”

"Who cares?!" Scootaloo exclaimed, earning an eye roll from Twillight. "That was so wicked! Let's see that again!"

"Ooh!" Pinkie Pie squeaked as she grabbed the fruit basket and shoved it into Yoshi's hands. "I wanna see more explody bouncy eggs too!"

Before Yoshi could respond, Twilight stepped up and took the basket with her magic. "Maybe later, okay?" she said. "I'm just as curious as you all are, but Yoshi and I need to take care of a few things first."

Yoshi raised his eyebrow in confusion, as did the other Crusaders and Pinkie Pie. "What do you mean?"

Twilight smiled at the Crusaders. "Let's just say… you girls just got a new classmate!"

"Wait... you mean?!" Yoshi exclaimed excitedly, his mouth curling into a massive grin. Before he knew it, the Crusaders had tackled him in a group hug.

"CUTIE MARK CRUSADER CLASSMATES, YAY!!!" the three fillies shouted.

"That's right!" Twilight said with a smile, lighting up her horn and taking a scroll out of her saddlebags. "I talked to Miss Cheerilee, and she agreed to take you in as a student. You'll be starting next week!"

"This is gonna be so awesome!" Scootaloo squealed. "The four of us, together in school! I can't wait!"

"Congratulations, Yoshi!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed, tossing confetti into the air. "This calls for a celebration!"

Twilight raised her hoof. "Actually…" she said. "That can wait until later, okay Pinkie? Yoshi and I have some things to take care of first."

Yoshi blinked. "We do?"

Twilight nodded her head and unrolled the scroll she was holding. "We need to head into town and pick up your school supplies!"

Yoshi's pupils shrank as the incredibly long list of supplies continued to unfurl.

Sweetie Belle raised her eyebrow while Scootaloo looked over the list. "Uh…? Twilight? This seems a bit… excessive."

"Note-taking notebook? Quiz-studying folder? POP QUIZ-TAKING QUILL?" Scootaloo read out loud, an incredulous look on her face.

"I want to make sure he's prepared for anything," Twilight replied as she took the scroll in her magic. "Don't want to end up short-hoofed… er, handed!"

Yoshi grinned nervously. This is gonna be a long afternoon…

Author's Note:

Sorry for taking so long. I'll add more to this AN later when I'm not feeling so lazy. :P