• Published 8th Nov 2016
  • 2,306 Views, 47 Comments

The Star Child - Joeycrick



A shooting star in Ponyville marks the arrival of the first Star Child. (Prequel to "Freedom Yoshi Planet" by LawtonCash.)

  • ...
1
 47
 2,306

Chapter 6: Lucky Eggs

"Don't get me wrong, I'd be very delighted to be his teacher, Princess." Cheerilee closed her gradebook and placed it on her desk before turning to Twilight. "But I'm just worried about how his classmates would react to him, since he'd be the only one in class who's not a pony," she explained. "Or even from Equestria, from what you've told me."

"Still, I think a classroom environment would be better than homeschooling him," Twilight replied. "He'd be able to better develop his social skills by being with kids in his own age group. He's already close friends with the Cutie Mark Crusaders, actually."

"Really?" Cheerilee asked, looking up in surprise.

Twilight nodded with a smile. "Even as we speak, they're making him an official Cutie Mark Crusader. He may not be able to earn his own cutie mark, but he's willing to help others find theirs."


Yoshi stood tall and proud inside the Crusaders' clubhouse at Sweet Apple Acres. In front of him were Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle, all of them wearing their Crusaders' capes. Sweetie Belle stood at the podium, reading off a scroll.

"We, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, elect Yoshi the Dinosaur to join us as a sister, friend-"

"Waitwaitwait..." Scootaloo interrupted, waving her hooves and shooting a bewildered look at Sweetie Belle. "'Sister'? Yoshi's not a girl!"

"Hey, I'm just reading what you wrote!" Sweetie Belle replied, gesturing to the scroll.

"Oh... right." Scootaloo nervously rubbed the back of her head as Sweetie Belle turned back towards Yoshi.

"Alright... Cutie Mark Crusaders, elect Yoshi to join us as a brother, friend, confidante, bosom buddy... hang on..." The young unicorn's voice drifted off, her eyes narrowed as she skimmed the rest of the speech. Apple Bloom sighed while Yoshi tried to keep smiling.

"This is the same exact speech we gave Babs Seed!" Sweetie Belle exclaimed, turning towards Scootaloo again with an annoyed look. "I thought you said you were gonna revise it!"

"Who's Babs Seed?" Yoshi asked curiously.

"My cousin, who lives in Manehattan," Apple Bloom answered as Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle started bickering amongst themselves. "She's a Cutie Mark Crusader, just like we are!"

"Heh, I'd really like to meet her!" Yoshi replied excitedly.

"Well, we do have an Apple Family Reunion coming up soon that she'll be here for," said Apple Bloom. "How'd you like to join us?"

Yoshi grinned. "Yeah, that sounds fun!"

"Alright, I'll fix it when I get home!" Scootaloo exclaimed irritably as she snatched the scroll from Sweetie Belle's grasp and stuffed it underneath her cape.

"Um..."

The two Crusaders heard Apple Bloom and spun to face her. She was gesturing towards Yoshi with her hoof. The dinosaur was still trying to keep his face looking confident, but found it difficult under the current circumstances.

"Oh... right." Flustered, Scootaloo handed the scroll back to an equally embarrassed Sweetie Belle.

"Ahem..." The young unicorn cleared her throat and began hastily reading from the scroll, her eyes darting from side to side. "Crusaders, elect Yoshi to join us, blah blah blah... here we go... and fellow Cutie Mark Crusader!"

Yoshi smiled as the three fillies clapped their hooves together, with Apple Bloom blowing on a noisemaker while Scootaloo whooped loudly.

"Congratulations, Yoshi!" Sweetie Belle exclaimed, tossing confetti in Yoshi's direction, followed by a bundle of red. Yoshi jumped up, grabbing the bundle with his tongue as he went. Spinning around, he unfurled his Crusader's cape, tying it around his neck in one smooth motion. The other Crusaders ran up to Yoshi as his feet hit the ground, cheering loudly as they hugged the dinosaur.

"Yoshi!" he squealed in an excited, high-pitched voice before he could stop himself.

The three fillies began giggling while a flustered Yoshi covered his mouth, his cheeks turning scarlet underneath his hands. "Whoa! You okay there, Yoshi?" Apple Bloom chuckled.

"Yeah..." Yoshi replied as he sheepishly rubbed the back of his head. "Not sure what came over me, I haven't sounded like that in a long time."

"I think it's pretty cute!" Sweetie Belle replied with a reassuring smile.

"Really?" Yoshi asked.

Before Sweetie Belle could offer a response, Scootaloo grabbed Yoshi's arm and pulled him beside her. "So... got any ideas on how we should earn our cutie marks?" she asked, wearing a cocky grin on her face.

"Uh..." Caught off guard by the sudden request, Yoshi scrambled to think of something. "Well..." he slowly began, placing a finger on his forehead and running some ideas through his brain. "I... um..." he stammered, his frown deepening with every word.

"Hold on, now." Apple Bloom placed a hoof on Yoshi's shoulder and gave him a small smile. "No need to worry about that just yet. You're still new to this, after all."

Yoshi breathed a sigh of relief and smiled back. "Thanks, Apple Bloom."

"Don't mention it," Apple Bloom replied. "So... anything you want to do to celebrate, Yoshi? It's our treat!"

Yoshi opened his mouth, but before he could utter a single word, a loud grumble was heard coming from the dinosaur's stomach. As he looked down, the Crusaders covered their mouths, trying to stifle their giggles.

Yoshi gave a small chuckle. "Um... you guys wouldn't happen to have any fruit on you, would you?"


"Here you go!" Apple Bloom declared proudly, plopping a large basket on the picnic table outside the Crusaders' clubhouse.

The sight of the fruit that filled the basket was enough to make Yoshi's mouth water. His tongue hung out of his mouth, and he was panting heavily like a dog.

Sweetie Belle chuckled as she and the other Crusaders sat down at the table. "Go ahead, what are you waiting for?" she asked.

Snapped out of his stupor, Yoshi's excited look turned into one of slight worry. "Are you sure?" he asked. "I'm a pretty big eater, and... well, I don't want to leave you guys without anything."

"Don't worry about it," Scootaloo assured him, lifting up her hoof and revealing another picnic basket. "We're already set. You just focus on digging in."

With a wide smile, Yoshi's tongue latched onto the melon at the top of his basket, and he swallowed it in one gulp. While the Crusaders started digging into the muffins they got from Sugar Cube Corner, Yoshi was busy devouring the fruit in front of him.

Apple Bloom smiled as she watched Yoshi grab a handful of apples at once on his tongue and swallow them all. "Y'all really love apples, don't ya, Yoshi?" she said. "Applejack told me you practically emptied an entire basket of 'em when you first met her."

Yoshi swallowed the apples before replying. "Y'know..." he said slowly. "I really love fruit, especially melons. They're my most favorite. Sometimes, though..." He took an apple in his hand and looked at it for a moment, his brow furrowed. "It's really strange."

Scootaloo raised her eyebrow. "What is?"

"I'm not sure why," Yoshi admitted, "but on some days, some fruits just taste really, really incredible. Like it's the absolute best thing I've ever eaten. Yet when I eat that same fruit on a different day... it just loses its flair for some reason. And whenever that happens, it's another fruit that tastes absolutely wonderful."

"Huh," Apple Bloom said, eyeing the apple in Yoshi's hand. "And today it's apples?"

"Eeyup," Yoshi answered as he tossed the fruit into the air and caught it on his tongue. "Yesterday it was grapes." On those words, he plucked some grapes out of the basket and shoved them into his mouth, swallowing them. Smacking his lips, he said, "Still tasty, just... not as tasty as they were yesterday."

"Any guesses on what tomorrow's Lucky Fruit will be?" asked Sweetie Belle, chewing on her muffin.

"Huh?"

"Your Lucky Fruit," Sweetie Belle repeated, pointing to an apple. "The fruit that tastes the best when you eat it."

Yoshi's mouth curled up into a small smile. "Lucky Fruit, eh?" he said, taking several different fruits out of his basket and weighing them in his hands. "Y'know... I'm hoping it's watermelons," he finally answered. "I absolutely love them." He shoved the entire thing into his mouth and gulped-

*POP!*

The sudden sound caused everyone to jump up in surprise. "What in tarnation was that?!" Apple Bloom blurted out.

"I don't kn- WHOA!!!" As Yoshi took a step backwards, his foot caught on something and he fell backwards, landing on his back. "Oof! Ow..." he groaned as he slowly sat up, rubbing his head.

"Uh... where did that egg come from?"

The dinosaur's eyes snapped open upon hearing Scootaloo's words. "Egg? What egg?" Looking down in front of him, he spotted it: a round, white egg with green spots and a black outline. And it was moving.

"Okay, that's pretty freaky," Apple Bloom replied, staring at the egg with a bewildered look.

"Aw, crud..." Yoshi muttered as he slowly backed away, hoping that this didn't mean what he thought it meant. As he moved, however, the egg started bouncing towards him on its own.

"Uh... make that REALLY freaky," Scootaloo slowly said, watching as Yoshi tried in vain to put some distance between him and the egg.

"Why's it following me?!" Yoshi yelled out as he scrambled to his feet and started running in circles around the picnic table, the egg bouncing along behind him. "Come on, I'm too young to be a father!"

The Crusaders exchanged confused looks. "A father?" Sweetie Belle repeated.

"Didn't he say he came out of an egg?" Apple Bloom pointed out. "Maybe that egg is his kid!"

"But Twilight said he's only a few weeks old! How's he old enough to-?"

*BOING! BOING! BOING!*

"He's an alien, Sweetie Belle, remember? Maybe his species ages at a different rate than ponies do!"

*BOING!* "Hi, Apple Bloom!" *BOING!* "Hi, Sweetie Belle!" *BOING!* "Hi, Scootaloo!" The three fillies looked up just in time to see a poofy pink mane bouncing past them.

*BOING!* "Hi, Yoshi!" Pinkie Pie called out as the dinosaur sped past her, his arms outstretched and the egg on his heels. "Hi, bouncing egg!"

*BOI-* The party pony froze mid-bounce, before zipping backwards into Yoshi's path. She held out her hoof, holding the still-running Yoshi in place as she gently moved him aside.

"Hello... what do we have here?" Pinkie muttered, leaning forward to take a close look at the bouncing egg.

"That thing just appeared out of nowhere and started followin' Yoshi around," Apple Bloom answered as she and the other Crusaders approached. "We dunno where it came from."

"Hmm..." Pinkie Pie reached into her mane and pulled out an unusually large pair of goggles. Placing them over her eyes, she began walking around the egg, looking at it closely from every conceivable angle. "Very interesting..."

"What is?" Scootaloo asked.

Ignoring the young pegasus, Pinkie Pie grabbed Yoshi's fruit basket and plopped a watermelon in his hands. "Eat this," she said while continuing to examine the egg.

Yoshi looked back and forth between the watermelon and the pink pony, his eyebrow raised in confusion. "Uh... say what?"

"Hang on a minute," Apple Bloom said, raising her hoof and turning to the others. "That loud pop we heard came right after Yoshi gulped down a melon, didn't it? So maybe-"

Scootaloo rolled her eyes and frowned. "Are you saying that eating FRUIT caused that egg to appear?" she scoffed.

"Exactamundo," Pinkie Pie answered, never averting her gaze.

"Pfft, don't be ridicu-"

*POP!*

The noise caught the attention of the three fillies, who began looking around wildly. Their eyes fell on Yoshi, who was no longer holding the watermelon. Instead, bouncing behind him was-

"Another egg?!" Sweetie Belle blurted out in surprise. "Where'd that come from?!"

"Um..." Yoshi twiddled his fingers nervously. "From that watermelon."

"Aha!" Pinkie Pie lifted her goggles and clapped her hooves together, smiling smugly. "I knew it."

Apple Bloom's jaw dropped. "Say what?"

"I ate the watermelon, and that egg just... popped out of me," Yoshi explained, slowly turning his head towards the fruit basket. "Hmm... I wonder..." Opening his mouth, he grabbed an apple with his tongue and swallowed. As he gulped, a loud *POP!* sounded, and an egg was laid.

The Crusaders stared wide-eyed at Yoshi and the three eggs bouncing behind him. "Whoa..." they all gasped.

Faster than he could blink, the dinosaur found himself being mobbed again. "That's so cool, Yoshi!" "Eggs out of fruit?! Holy cow!" "Can I have one?!"

"Yoshi!" Another voice called out, and everyone turned to see Twilight approaching them. "Hey, everypony! What's going..." Her voice drifted off as she spotted the eggs bouncing behind Yoshi. "Uh..."

"Uh..." Yoshi glanced towards the eggs, sweat pouring down his face as he grinned nervously.

Author's Note:

:twilightangry2:: *in Albert Wesker's voice* "YOU WILL GIVE ME AN EGG!"