• Published 6th Nov 2016
  • 2,963 Views, 49 Comments

Sweet Affection - Masterob



Apple Bloom's attempts to set Rumble up with Scootaloo result in potential love between Rumble and Sweetie Belle

  • ...
9
 49
 2,963

Sign of Affection

The Cutie Mark Crusaders were off on their little mission, helping blank flank colts and fillies find their cutie marks, or understand them. Apple Bloom was leading the way alongside her two friends, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.

The girls looked around Ponyville playground, hoping to find some young colts and fillies they could help.

"Another day, more ponies to meet with," Apple Bloom said with some excitement.

"Yeah, who would have thought we'd be helping other ponies look for their cutie marks, or even understand them?" Sweetie Belle said while looking in a few directions, hoping to find some blank flank colts.

"I guess spending so much time looking for Cutie Marks made us experts on them," Scootaloo suggested.

Apple Bloom did a light laugh, "In a way our Cutie Marks is about finding Cutie Marks, looks like we had our special talent all along."

"Then what took so long for them to show up? Would have saved us a lot of trouble," Scootaloo complained, somewhat glaring at her mark.

Apple Bloom shrugged, "Not sure, guess we had to figure it out ourselves, that's how Cutie Marks usually work after all."

"Right, now let's put that talent to work already," Sweetie Belle said, feeling that much eager to help the nearby colts and fillies.

"Right, see anypony Scootaloo?" Apple Bloom asked.

The young Pegasus observed around the area, seeing many colts and fillies, only a few blank flanks in sight.

"Well I can see Shady, we can probably ask him soon, there's also Noi, and there's..." Scootaloo stopped talking a moment, her face turning red in from fluster.

"There's who?" Apple Bloom curiously asked.

Scootaloo gulped a bit, "Um, well I see Dinky...and I also see...well there's a colt with her who also seems to be...you know, blank flanked."

Sweetie Belle looked confused as to why Scootaloo seemed a bit flustered, but when she turned to where she was facing the answers became clear.

Next to Dinky was a Pegasus colt named Rumble, and as Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle knew, Scootaloo had a slight crush on the boy, even though she would never admit it. Apple Bloom shifted her gaze between him and Scootaloo, essentially observing the situation. She wishes that Scootaloo would just admit that she likes Rumble, he's a nice boy and she believes he would make a good mate for her.

"Let's go talk to them then, maybe we can help out Rumble and Dinky, sound fun?" Apple Bloom asked.

Scootaloo blushed a bit, "Um they look busy, maybe we shouldn't bother them, let's go talk to Shady first."

Sweetie Belle started to nudge Scootaloo, "Come on, it can't hurt to try, can it?" Truth be told Sweetie Belle also would like for Scootaloo to just act on her emotions. She believes that Rumble is a cute colt and she also believes that he and Scootaloo would look great together. Plus given Rumble's more sensitive nature, he can probably help Scootaloo feel more in touch with her emotions.

Scootaloo however, still looked worried at the idea of talking to Rumble, she didn't wanna end up embarrassing herself in front of him. "Still, maybe we shouldn't bother them, suppose they get unhappy and-"

"Come on Scootaloo, what are ya, nervous?" Apple Bloom teased.

"N-no! I'm not," Scootaloo said, even though she knew that wasn't entirely true. Unfortunately her friends knew as well.

"Then let's go, come on already!" Apple Bloom urged.

Scootaloo sighed and reluctantly joined her friends as they approached Rumble and Dinky.

The two foals were talking random things, mostly comparing how their older siblings act, and figuring out what other games they can try playing. Dinky noticed the three Crusaders making their way over.

"Looks like we have some company," Dinky said, gesturing to the three girls. Rumble toward them, then turned away a little, trying to hide his blush. Unfortunately for him, Dinky caught that. "Somepony's flustered."

Rumble groaned, "Come on Dinky, that's not funny."

"Then don't be such a dork, this is your chance to let her know how you feel," Dinky said.

"I can't do that, suppose she laughs at me. Besides I don't know how to tell a filly how I feel, how do I even go about it?" Rumble asked.

"Just be yourself, that's all we want in a colt. As a filly myself I can honestly say that you would make a good coltfriend, the only reason I haven't asked you out is because I like our friendship as it is, and I know you feel the same way," Dinky said.

Rumble nodded, it was true that Dinky's been his friend for a few years now and he can't see her as more than that. He's always been ok with that though because the two have always there for each other and he doesn't want things to change if they don't need to.

At that moment the Crusaders had arrived, a big blush on Scootaloo's face as she stood near Rumble, who himself hadn't fully faced them as he was hiding his own blush.

"Hey girls, what brings you here?" Dinky asked.

"Howdy Dinky, me and the girls were just wondering if you two would like to play with us a bit, maybe we can try to get you yer cutie mark," Apple Bloom suggested.

"Cutie Mark?" Dinky said and turned to her flank, "Never thought too much about getting mine." She turned to Rumble, "How about you Rumble?"

Rumble still hadn't fully faced the girls, "Um, same, I guess."

Dinky groaned a bit and leaned in to whisper, "You're being silly, just look at them will ya?"

Rumble gulped and turned to the girls, trying to hard not to blush but making a funny face about it, causing the girls to stifle a laugh and Dinky to face hoof.

Apple Bloom sensed the awkwardness so she decided to continue the conversation, "Anyway we'd like it if you would play with us, even if it's not getting yer cutie marks, we do like the idea of spending time with new ponies and who knows? Maybe you can get yer Cutie Marks just from being near us."

Dinky shrugged, "I don't see why not, me and Rumble were trying to figure out what to do and what to play, maybe this can be fun for us, right Rumble?"

Rumble nodded, "Yeah, sure, fun!"

Dinky glanced between Rumble and the Crusaders, then forced out a nervous smile, one which Apple Bloom had an understanding of.

"Sure then, come on, ah have an idea."

The foals then made their way to another side of the park, with Scootaloo still trying not to blush near Rumble and Rumble trying to keep a straight face. Dinky shook her head in shame while Sweetie Belle had a satisfied smile. She could tell Rumble feels awkward, likely due to a crush, making the idea of Scootaloo and Rumble being together that much more likely.

The foals spent the rest of the day playing a bit, between games like hide and seek, tag and even friendly races. Later on the foals were seen relaxing against a tree as the sun began to go down.

"Wow, who knew you girls were a lot of fun?" Dinky said.

"Of course, what made you think we weren't?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Well I always heard you caused a lot of trouble," Dinky said, annoying the Crusaders.

"Some ponies exaggerate too much honestly," Apple Bloom said with a huff.

"Anyway you two were a load of fun as well, let's do this again soon," Sweetie Belle said.

"That sounds like a great idea Sweetie Belle," Dinky said and turned to Rumble, "Don't you think that's great Rumble?"

Rumble could see Dinky's eyebrows shift up and down, so he just went with it. "Um, sure thing Dinky."

Apple Bloom stood up, "Then it's settled, we can do this again tomorrow, we can play more games, go see Pinkie Pie, or maybe even Twilight. Hopefully ah can even get Tender Taps to come along."

"Who's Tender Taps?" Dinky said.

"A colt that Apple Bloom really likes," Sweetie Belle said with a coy smile.

Apple Bloom turned to Sweetie Belle, obviously very annoyed. "Don't be immature, he's a nice colt and you know that."

"I never said he wasn't, just that you really like him, a lot," Sweetie Belle teased.

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes, "Ah ain't gonna get into this with ya, mah feelings fer another colt are mah business only."

"Hey, there's nothing wrong with like another pony," Dinky said and turned to Rumble. "Isn't that right Rumble?"

Rumble glared slightly at Dinky constantly bringing attention to him, "Right."

"Anyway I'd love to go see Princess Twilight, I want to be as great as she is one day," Dinky gestured to Rumble. "Even Rumble here likes Twilight, he thinks she's the best princess."

"Well I'm sure Twilight would like to see him, she loves mentoring younger ponies after all," Apple Bloom said.

Suddenly a mare called out, "Rumble! Time to go!"

Rumble's ears perked up, "That sounds like Flitter."

"Hurry up little guy, your brother's waiting for you!" Another mare called out.

Rumble's ears twitched again, "And that's Cloudchaser."

"Dinky! You need to come too! It's time to go home!" A third mare called.

"And there's Derpy, all three of them are here Dinky," Rumble said.

"We're coming!" Dinky said to the three mares and turned to the Crusaders, "Yeah, they are, guess we need to get going."

Rumble quickly stood up, "That sounds good, come on." He quickly made his way over to his foal sitters.

Dinky shook her head again, to which Apple Bloom noticed. "Let me guess, he has a crush on one of us and he won't say anything."

Dinky nodded, "Don't tell him that but yeah, he likes one of your friends, I won't say which, though it should be obvious if you paid enough attention today."

"Ah think ah got an idea, don't worry we'll help him out on that alright?" Apple Bloom said.

Dinky nodded, "Good to hear, he'd like that very much."

"Dinky, hurry up honey!" Derpy called.

"I'm coming!" Dinky turned to Apple Bloom. "Great playing with you, bye Apple Bloom." She turned to the others, "Bye Sweetie Belle, bye Scootaloo!"

The other two fillies waved good-bye as Dinky ran off with Rumble. Scootaloo took a breath, "Well that was easier than I thought."

Apple Bloom groaned, "Yah barely said anything to him, how are you gonna get him to like yah if you don't talk to him?"

Scootaloo turned away angrily, "I told you I don't have a crush on Rumble!"

"Right, that's why whenever you got too close to him yer face would turn redder than mah family's apples," Apple Bloom said.

Scootaloo's face again started to turn red, this time from frustration. "Oh, well, whatever Apple Bloom! Let's just get going, I'm sure our families want us home as well!"

Scootaloo started to stomp away as Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle shook their heads.

"She's so stubborn, she and Rumble would make a cute couple, who knows, maybe he'll teach her to fly," Sweetie Belle said.

"Ah doubt he could do much to teach her, even if he is a good flyer fer his age," Apple Bloom said.

"Anyway I'm sure you noticed but he also seemed a little flustered today, think it's a crush?" Sweetie Belle asked.

Apple Bloom gestured for Sweetie Belle to get closer as she spoke low to her, "Don't tell anypony but according to Dinky, Rumble does have a crush on one of us, and ah think it is Scootaloo."

"Aw, that's sweet, he likes her too," Sweetie Belle said, then wondered. "Wait, how do you know?"

"Think about it, he always seemed to not wanna be next to her, he usually stayed near Dinky, or you on occasion," Apple Bloom said.

"Oh right, he must be too shy to be around her, probably afraid he would do or say something silly," Sweetie Belle said.

"Yeah, though it looked like he wanted to say something to yah at times, any idea what it was?" Apple Bloom asked.

Sweetie Belle shrugged, "Not sure, maybe he was hoping I could give him some advice? He never got the words out, especially when Scootaloo got too close, he probably tried asking me about her."

"We gotta help them get together, tomorrow you, me and Dinky can work on that, maybe even Tender Taps if he wants to play with us," Apple Bloom said.

"Sure, maybe while we're at it we can also get Tender Taps to like you," Sweetie Belle said.

Apple Bloom groaned, "Ok, if you think you can make a couple out of me and Tender Taps, go right ahead, but let's focus on Scootaloo and Rumble.

Sweetie Belle nodded as the two went to go find Scootaloo. Though brought one more thing up, "I'll be honest, I'm surprised you two could even like colts like them though."

"Huh? What's wrong with Rumble and Tender Taps?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Well, they're not very...boyish, like you know what I mean?" Sweetie Belle asked.

Apple Bloom raised her eyebrow, "Boyish? What do you mean 'boyish'?"

"You know, they don't like doing things most colts like doing, take Button Mash for example, like most colts he likes playing his video games, playing with his toys, doesn't mind getting dirty. I don't know much about Rumble, but if he's like Tender Taps, he might not be into that stuff," Sweetie Belle said.

"You can't say it doesn't make them boyish, just because they don't do what most boys do don't mean anything. Look at me, do ah act like most fillies?" Apple Bloom asked.

Sweetie Belle tapped her chin, "Right, maybe that's why you an Scootaloo are good for colts like Tender Taps and Rumble. I mean somepony in the relationship has to be tough right?"

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes, "Stop reading them fairy tale books yer sister keeps around."

Sweetie shrugged, "Hey I don't have anything against sensitive colts, Tender Taps is a nice boy and I like being around him, I just don't think I would ever date him."

Apple Bloom shrugged it off, Sweetie Belle says the weirdest things sometimes, but she can understand her point. Given how frail her sister acts, despite being much stronger than she looks, it's understandable that Sweetie Belle would believe certain things, despite how silly they may seem.

Meanwhile with Rumble and Dinky, the two are leaving the park with Flitter, Cloudchaser and Derpy.

"Did you kids have fun today?" Cloudchaser asked.

"Yeah, me and Rumble played with the Cutie Mark Crusaders, they were a lot of fun," Dinky said.

"The Cutie Mark Crusaders huh? Doesn't Rumble like one of them?" Flitter teased.

Rumble blushed at that, not her too. "Come on Flitter, it's not funny."

Cloudchaser rubbed his mane, "Relax little guy, nothing wrong with liking another pony, so which one is it? The Apple one? The fancy one? Or that scooter loving Pegasus?" Cloudchaser shifted her eyebrows up at that last one.

Rumble blushed, "Can we talk about this later? This feels weird."

Derpy giggled, "It's hard for some ponies to admit when they have a crush, especially the shy ones." Derpy also rubbed Rumble's mane, "Take your time, ok Rumble? I'm sure you'll get that filly, you're a handsome young colt after all, any filly would be lucky to have you."

Rumble blushed at that, "Thanks Derpy."

Dinky patted Rumble's back, "Don't worry, I'll help you out, when we see them tomorrow I'll help you get your filly."

Rumble nuzzled Dinky a bit, "Thanks, you're a great friend, maybe one day I can help you get a colt."

"Hey I'm just fine right now, my priority is helping you," Dinky said and returned the nuzzle. "I promise you that I will help you get Sweetie Belle as your marefriend."

Rumble blushed at the sound of her name, she is the prettiest pony he's had the pleasure of being around, if only he was able to talk to her when he had the chance earlier in the day. Perhaps he'll have better luck tomorrow.

Author's Note:

Scootaloo likes Rumble, but Rumble likes Sweetie Belle. Not to mention, Rumble isn't Sweetie Belle's type. Looks like Apple Bloom and Dinky have work to do.