• Published 26th Oct 2016
  • 1,283 Views, 38 Comments

VRMMOEQGRPG - Yarael-BJ-Poof



Canterlot High has been buzzing with excitement as the countdown to the release of the virtual reality MMORPG, Sword Art Online, ends. Besides, it's nice to take a little break from the real world once in a while, right?

  • ...
9
 38
 1,283

Episode One: Beginnings

10.25.16 12:50P F#X

Fluttershy knocked on the door of Rainbow Dash's suburban house outside of Canterlot City. Nobody answered, so she had to yell, "Rainbow?"

Although it wasn't a yell, it was more of a loud whisper. Not surprising coming from Fluttershy. She knocked again, and jumped back when it suddenly opened. It was Rainbow Blaze, looking a little tired with unkempt hair, wrinkled clothes, and a cigarette in his mouth.

He looked down at Fluttershy and said, "Oh, it's you. Come in."

Fluttershy didn't expect to be, well, expected, so she just said, "Thank you sir," and hurried inside."

She noticed the tv was on, and on it was an episode of The Doctors. Blaze pointed his thumb at the stairs and said, "Rainbow's upstairs. She's waiting for that new virtual reality game to come out." Without another word, he sat down on the couch and fixed his eyes on the tv, never bothering to wait for an answer.

Being the polite kind of girl she was, she said, "Thank you," and walked up the stairs. She went past the closed doors in the hallway until she reached Rainbow's room. She heard loud noises and Rainbow's voice talking on her cell phone.

"Yeah, only eight more minutes!"

"Come on, don't you have the computer plugged in yet?"

"Don't 'sugarcube' me! I didn't do anything!"

Obviously Applejack. Fluttershy waited until there was a period of semi-silence before knocking. Rainbow opened it and said, "Hey Shy! Did you charge your headset?"

She looked at Fluttershy's hands. "Hey, where is your headset? The game launches in seven minutes!"

Fluttershy looked blank. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Rainbow gasped. "Seriously? It's all that's been going on lately! Principal Celestia even canceled school because of it! You didn't question that?"

Fluttershy sat down on Rainbow's bed. "That's why I came over here. I was at school half an hour early on purpose and no one came."

Rainbow groaned and rubbed her face. "Were you even paying attention yesterday? She announced at lunch that school was canceled so everyone could enjoy playing it on the release date."

Fluttershy hung her head. She had been staying up late for the past week working on several papers, so her mind was pretty bogged down with tiredness and scientific data. She figured getting to school early to hand in the papers would give her attendance scores a boost.

Rainbow sat down next to her. "Look, there's this virtual reality game called Sword Art Online that the whole world has been waiting a full year for. It's a role-playing game where you have an avatar and you can team up with other people from everywhere to go on quests. It's gonna be SO AWESOME!" She squished her cheeks with her hands, causing her face to look like :rainbowkiss:.

Fluttershy didn't really follow, but she nodded anyway.

Rainbow continued, "I got AJ, Sunset, and Pinkie hooked on it, and Rarity got interested in it too. I'm surprised Twilight actually bought a headset and everything. I didn't think she would be the action gaming type."

Fluttershy gulped. "Action game?" She remembered the time she played Super Smash Bros. with Rainbow and Applejack. She picked Yoshi as her character, because he reminded her of her favorite pet lizard. She almost cried when she saw him blow up on the side of the stage.

She sort of blended in with the background and said, "Yeah, I think I'll pass. You have fun, Rainbow."

Rainbow understood, and said, "Okay. See ya tomorrow! This is gonna be SWEET!"

Fluttershy closed the door behind her and went down the stairs. She could have fun with her friends some other way. She waved bye to Blaze, who took no notice, and went outside. She got in her car and screamed. A giant gun-like object was sitting in the passenger seat.

She looked at it and growled. It was a game headset. Her quickly beating heart slowed to its resting rate as she took a few deep breaths. She wouldn't let the action games bother her.

She started the car and drove away.


Rainbow was sweating. Her fingers were twitching as she laid down on the bed. One more minute. She couldn't survive another minute.

Let's hope you make the last hour COUNT!

Another call from Applejack.

She answered it in a rushed tone of voice, "Yeah, AJ?"

Applejack sounded the same. "You ready?"

"Hell yeah."

"Ah already called everyone else. They're just as hyped."

"And for good reason!"

They hung up their calls at the same time as the timer ran out.

5...

4...

3...

2...

1...

Adrenaline rushed through the veins of a million bodies around the world. The countdown hit zero.

Link start!

And the game began.

The sounds were so rich, the colors were so bright, and this was only the startup screen.

Welcome to Sword Art Online!

Rainbow's heart was skipping beats left and right, but she didn't notice. The only thing that mattered was the enthralling sight before her eyes.

She selected her language as English, entered her username and password, and waited. She waited for the best day of her life to begin.

Her virtual eyes adjusted to the sunlight. She stood up and looked around. She was in a giant plaza, and there was no one else in sight. She was the first one to be in the game.

A distant flash of blue light caught her eye. It was a player materializing, a young man that she didn't recognize. It didn't look like he saw her. She thought about catching his attention, when more players began showing up. Soon, the plaza was full of a million people, all of which were lucky enough to start the game on opening minute.

Rainbow immediately saw Applejack in the crowd. Her player character was tall, with a white Stetson hat with blue strings attached to it, a black vest with a ton of pockets, a knee-length tan skirt that had red ribbons around the bottom, black boots with white details and steel toes, and a pair of golden braids going down past her hips. Her sword scabbard was old-fashioned looking, with curvy gold-chrome designs on it. The hilt was faux wood with a golden apple on the tip.

They patted each other on the back, and Applejack said, "Well, Ah did worry that Ah wasnt gonna recognize ya, but Ah shoulda thought better."

Rainbow chuckled and said, "Yeah, I guess maxing out does help to make you stand out in a crowd." Her player character had the same rainbow hair, except it was shaved on the left side and down over her right eye. She had a leather jacket that was partially open to reveal a green t-shirt with the words "TREAD ON THIS" on it. On her hands were yellow fingerless gloves with bronze knobs on the knuckles. She had a necklace with a single thing on it: a ruby skull. Her scabbard was silver with her familiar cloud-and-lightning symbol on it, and the sword hilt had a pointed edge that looked more painful than the blade. Her pants were dark blue, with three pockets on each leg, and her shoes were athletic red-and-black track runners with pegasus wings on the heels.

Applejack tilted her hat back and said, "Ah have to admit, you look pretty badass."

Rainbow gave a cocky smile and said, "I figured someone would say that, but I actually like your traditional look. It suits you pretty good."

"YOOHOO!" A cheerful voice sang out from the enormous crowd. It was Rarity, and for a second the two friends had to shield their eyes.

She was wearing a sleeveless, strapless gray dress with alternating pink and yellow verical stripes. She had armlength transparent yellow gloves that ended with golden cuffs at the elbows. Her boots were open-toe, knee-high, and solid pink with silver buckles on the ankles. Her scabbard appeared to be made of diamonds, transparent enough to see the spotless metal blade inside. The hilt had a massive yellow gem on the tip, probably topaz. On her head was a bandanna that was gray on one side and light gold on the other. Her hair was noticeably shorter, but it ended in three curls; two on her shoulders and one down her back. She had tremendous amounts of silver eyeshadow and lipstick, and everything looked like it was smothered in glitter.

Rainbow and Applejack were in a semi-stupor. Rarity noticed this and said, "What, even in a game it's important to keep up your appearances."

"Uh-huh," Rainbow said without shutting her mouth.

Applejack walked over to Rarity and looked at her fancy getup. "Ah know you want to make a good appearance in this game, but don't ya think this is a little bit overkill?"

Rarity snorted and said, "Don't be ridiculous, Applejack. In fashion, there is never such a thing as overkill."

Rainbow rolled her eyes and muttered, "Good god."

Rarity looked around at all the fellow players. "Have you seen Sunset, Twilight, and Pinkie? They didn't spawn here with me."

Applejack shrugged. "They'll show up soon enough."

A lot of people were heading into the market on the other side of the plaza, presumably either buying food and supplies or socializing. Probably both.

Rainbow said, "Maybe they're looking for us over there. Come on, maybe we can buy some cool crap too." she motioned with her hand, and the other two followed.

The market seemed even busier than the plaza, maybe because there were people selling things and pushing heavy objects down the road. It was pretty hard to believe that all the shopkeepers were just game elements and didn't exist in real life.

A fruit salesman caught Applejack's eye. She could get some apples to take with them. Hopefully they were organic. She asked the man, who looked strangely like Flim of the Flim-Flam Brothers, "How much are your Gala apples?"

The man answered her in a tone that was very unlike Flim's, "You mean individually or by the pound?" He had a deep, gravelly voice that sounded tired and bored. Maybe because he already existed in this game and wasn't experiencing it for the first time.

Applejack thought for a minute, then decided on the best choice. "By the pound. You never know when you'll need to eat on your adventures!" She tried to lighten the man's mood.

His face didn't change. Still scowling, he said, "8¥. That good enough?"

Applejack searched her pockets and found more than enough cash to pay for the apples. She set it down and the man took it. He dumped the apples into a small sack and thrust it at her.

She gently took it and turned away, saying, "Have a good one!"

He grunted.

Applejack shrugged and thought, "Ah well. Some people just ain't into havin' a good mood."

Rainbow was browsing the accessory store, looking for more cool stuff to add to her repertoire. She turned around to get to the stuff on the other side of the street, when someone ran into her at full speed. They both fell to the ground, rubbing their heads. Rainbow looked up and recognized him.

It was the guy that had spawned with her in the first seconds. She noted that he looked pretty handsome. She shook the thoughts away though, knowing he was probably some 40-year-old living in his mother's basement.

He helped her to her feet, saying, "I'm so sorry, I was hurrying."

She rubbed her eyes and said, "That's fine. I wasn't looking either."

They looked at each other for another second before he walked away, with the walk turning into a run.

She called after him, "Wait! Wait up!" but he was out of earshot.

All the rest of the time until she caught up with Rarity and Applejack, she was thinking, "Who is that guy?"

"Hey guys, something weird just happened," she said to her friends, but they were staring dumbfounded at something in a more open spot in the marketplace.

"Guys, what's going on?" Rainbow asked inquisitively.

Applejack spoke in a mortified sort of way. "Ah think we just found Pinkie Pie."

Rainbow followed her gaze and her stomach churned.

There was Pinkie, on a small stage, dressed in almost absolutely nothing. She had a black bra with a loose strap, and matching panties, on both of which said, "COME HERE OFTEN". Her stomach and legs were covered in fishnet material, and she had white flats with blue balloons on the top.

Rainbow breathed, "Oh sugar honey iced tea,"

What was even worse was her head. Her hair was jagged in places, resembling lightning bolts, and she had huge streaks of black eyeshadow covering her eyes and cheeks. She had black lipstick on, as well as what appeared to be a tongue piercing. She was singing the Rihanna song Birthday Cake, which made some of the people laugh, but more of a nervous, awkward laugh.

Applejack regained her motor skills, and stormed up to the stage and grabbed Pinkie's arm.

"He want that cake, cake, cake, cake, caAAAAKE!!!"

Applejack slammed Pinkie up against a wall and shouted to everyone, "Show's over, go back to whatever you were doin'." She turned to Pinkie and stared her right in the face.

"What in the livin' hell were you DOIN'?!"

Pinkie grinned sheepishly. "Well, it was a surprise that I was going to share at the next Battle of the Bands, but this came first so I thought I'd give it a shot!"

Applejack rubbed her face. "You realize if you did that at the Battle of the Bands, you would get expelled, right?" She noticed the tongue piercing was a small ornament with the letters "F A G". Wonderful.

Pinkie's face fell. "Oh, I didn't think about that."

Applejack backed up. "Obviously. Now we have to go find Sunset and Twilight."

Pinkie stopped in her tracks. "Can I put my clothes back on?"

Applejack didn't look back. "Please."

Pinkie went back on the stage and a few guys applauded for an encore.

"Sorry, boys," she said in her forced seductive voice. "The show's over."

They groaned and walked away. Pinkie got dressed and went to see her friends.

"Hey Rainbow! Hey Rarity!"

"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE?!" Rainbow threw her hands in the air.

Applejack deadpanned, "She says it was supposed to be an act at a public school event."

Rarity gasped, "Your outfit! It's...it's just DREADFUL!"

Pinkie was wearing a top that was offwhite with a zipper right on the front, over an emblem of a devil emoji. It had sleeves, but very short ones. The top was long enough to cover some of her stomach, but her belly button was visible, brandishing another "F A G" piercing. Her shorts were a dark seagreen, held up by a red braid belt. They were only slightly longer than her panties.

Rainbow grumbled, "I guess you'll never be done humiliating us."

Pinkie answered cheerfully, "Nope. You can call me Punkie Pie!"

Applejack looked up at the sky. The sun wasn't setting anytime soon. She looked at Pinkie and said, "If you're gonna be dressed like this, it's okay IF ya don't sing any more of those songs, IF ya don't make us call ya 'Punkie Pie', and IF ya don't go around actin' like a slutty prostitute. Gotcha?"

Pinkie's effervescent grin didn't fade as she nodded enthusiastically.

"So, how are we gonna find the other two?" Rainbow asked. "There's over a million people here."

"Ah think we just--"

Applejack was cut off by Rarity saying, "I think I see them right over there."

They were there, all right. And something was with them. Something...

humiliating.

Rainbow and Applejack uttered in perfect unison, "Goddammit."

Author's Note:

Another one-shot, finished at 2:30am after watching SAO for several hours straight!!!:pinkiehappy: I should probably go to bed soon...

Also, I had way too much fun thinking up their player outfits.