• Published 26th Oct 2016
  • 704 Views, 2 Comments

Sunset's Banishment - thodori



Sunset's last days in Equestria. Celestia said she left, but the truth was she was banished. And the truth in this case is much stranger than fiction

  • ...
 2
 704

chapter 1 of 2

When I was banished, my world fell apart. I was 30 years old and honestly though that I had my life ahead of me. I was close to unlocking power, power that Celestia had wanted me to unlock. I just needed more time.

She tried to get me to invest in friends instead of my studies, but that seemed like a waste of time. Not just because I was awkward, but most of the people I grew up with had moved on. I did still take part in the musicals. When some pony would just burst out in to song, I was so excited. And then we'd all dance and sing. In another life, I could have been a back up dancer or a singer but I digress.

It started out so small, with those damn tickets. Celestia had wanted me to attend the Gala this Year cause I had never gone before. And I had just figured out how to draw magic straight from the elements... or at least one of them. I don't even remember what I wanted to do with it. So when Celestia showed up in my room and I was packing, that was the final straw. Celestia and I had a huge fight. And instead of just talking about things like we always had, I decided I was going, even if that had meant walking away from Celestia.

Well at first she was passive aggressive. She closed the door with her magic and wouldn't let me open it.

"Sunset. Please. Don't do this. It's just one night. And the elements will be there when your done. All I am asking for is one night. Can't you do that, for me?"

"I don't want to go to the Gala, there's nothing for me there! You realize if I go there will be people there looking to marry me right? I will not be a pawn to them! Look, some times I hate being your student. Look I know I am yelling" I shouted, "But I am not going to change my mind."

"But Sunset, its normal to find a guy and settle down. It's also normal to go out and make friends. Your missing out on what makes life fun, and interesting!" Celestia argued.

You know how you get close to somebody and you just seem to get under each others skin? That's exactly what was happening here. So I decided to throw out a few barbs myself, "The whole reason I am working on the elements is because of you and your sister! Had you been a better sister, we may not have even been having this conversation, would we?"

I wanted the argument to end there and I though this would have done it. But instead of resigning herself to my choice, my words sparked a very clear and hot fire in her eyes.

Her nostrils flared "And what would you know, about sisters or about relationships? You've never had one. Not one single friend this whole time except me. I have tried helping you out. I have invited you out to many different things, forced you to go to different functions. All for you to turn your nose up." She got very quiet. "Sunset, I don't what more I can do to help. I am trying my best."

All the help in the world Celestia, won't work if I don't want it. "Celestia there is nothing more you can do. Just leave me alone and let me do what I want. We've had this conversation before and it's never changed me so far."

"Sunset, I have been patient with you. I didn't get involved when you shunned ponies in school. I was patient when you pushed people away in college. When you told me you were studying the elements, I was over joyed! But you don't understand they won't work for you as you are now. You will need friends!"

" I don't need friends! I am one of the most talented unicorns there has been in 100 years. With your guidance, I have raised the sun! If I can handle that, I know do this. Why won't you believe in me? Haven't I surpassed every expectation you put on me? Let me go!" I bellowed.

At first she let go of the door, "Sunset" she started, with a strong determination, " If you come to this gala, you can keep your position here. I'll let you keep this room and access to the archives. If you walk out that door, you don't come back. You hear me?"

"Fine. If that's the way it has to be! Good bye, Princess Celestia, as the kids say, it's been a slice!" If I could take back that last sentence I totally would. It honestly sounded better in my head.

I took the bag I had packed, and left. Celestia just watched me, and as I left, said "The elements will never work for somebody with out friends, sunset".

"I'll prove that I can make them work!"

And I left, I passed the captain of the guard Vicious Ripost, responding to Celestia, who was in my room, oops sorry former room. I didn't hear what that were talking about, nor did I care. I left for the castle of the two sister's



The trip was boring. I took a train to a smaller town named ponyville. It seemed like a small town filled with hicks. It was late when I got off the train and was going towards the only hotel in town. Then I remembered, a former classmate of mine was here. Not from Celestia' school but before I got tangled up with that witch. And so I asked a raw random ponies, and found out where Cup au'spice lived.

Apparently she had found a stallion named Carrot Cake, and had married. They'd even made a business called Sugar Cube Corner together. She became Cup Cake. I just couldn't get over that.

So after about 20 minutes I found the place. It looked good from the outside, as I have always had a bit of a sweet tooth. I hesitated, knowing I should probably just go to the castle and get the element instead of asking to stay the night. But I was still tired from the fight earlier.

I knocked on the door. And Carrot answered about 3 minutes later.

"Sorry we're closed, you'll have to come back to tomorrow." He said with an irritated voice.

"Is Cup there? We knew each other back in the day and I was just passing through town and wanted to say hi."

"One moment, I'll get her for you." He left me in the doorway.

Cupcake came to the door, and her eyes lit up with recognition. "Sunset, is that you? Come in, come in!"

She ushered me through the door. We sat down at a table in the shop and started chatting away. I was kind of half interested, but not really. She told me all about meeting her Carrot Cake and how the marriage was. It seemed really nice but I was really tired so I didn't pay attention. It seemed like she got the hint and instead asked me a few questions.

"What are you doing in Ponyville?" She asked

"Tomorrow I'll be going to the Everfree to do some magical research on the... ugh, plant life."
"Well you don't have to tell me if you don't want to, Sunny"
"I'm actually really tired, I got in to a fight today with somebody and can't seem to unwind..."

"Ok, we can give you the upstairs suite, the bed already made."

"Thanks, what do I owe you?"

"Not a thing, only if you get a chance could you tell me what really bothering you?"

"Sure, that sounds nice actually."

"Umm, Sunset I do have one other request, do you know of any..." she frowned, going quit.

" any what?"

"any fertility spells?" She blushed and looked a bit ashamed.

"No sorry, I don't." I honestly didn't know. And now I was totally interested.

"Well then never mind, it was a vain hope." She looked distraught.

"Are guys having problems having, you know, kids?"

"I'm sorry, it's late and I'd rather not talk about it right now. Carrot, should be finished making up the room. We will see you tomorrow." She got up rather quickly leaving me with my bag in the shop.

I found my way upstairs and after getting my bearings, found my bed. I was laying on my back, reviewing the day. I went through the fight I'd had with Celestia and the train ride. As well as Cup au'spice, sorry Cup Cake. That still made me grin. What a name to marry into for a baker.

Was Celestia right? Did I really need others? I could have just gone to the forsaken gala, and seen the Blueblood's newest member. Canna Blueblood, I hear she used to be a fisher pony before she married in to royalty. I think her name was Canna Worms. She would have probably been the easiest to get along with there.

Don't get me wrong, I did regret my actions. I should have gone. But I knew there was nothing for me there but heart break, boredom and the possibility of some stallion not getting the hint.

Why couldn't the princess just let this go?

I woke up the next morning not as rested as I hoped, and bought my self breakfast from the Cakes. This little store they had here was great! It was very busy, and the cupcakes were wonderful! And though she was now a Cake, you could still taste the spice in the baking. Carrot was a lucky stallion.

Though a series of well planned teleportations and protection spells, I made it to the castle.

Author's Note:

Thanks to all who encouraged me to write. And I'd be happy to see why you have to say.