• Published 28th Jun 2012
  • 655 Views, 13 Comments

Gears Within The Soul ~ Memories of Solid Gear - Solid 6GEAR



short stories of an OC pony and her life

  • ...
6
 13
 655

Chapter 2: Start of a New Leg

Several months had passed since Little Gear had last seen the previous strict Nurse who'd taken care of her in the section of the hospital she'd originally been put in. It was close to the Emergency Ward, so she got a lot of careful attention to her health due to that. She was grateful for the attention at first, but after these several months of being watched even WHILE EATING...yeah, it didn't set well with her.

“As much as I enjoyed being somewhere that felt like I was capable of being unable to hurt myself, it also felt pretty...restrictive.” Little Gear states to the nurse helping her move the IV with her to the new location in the Hospital. None other than Nurse Redheart was helping her, somepony that she'd heard was an up-coming and really great mare with a knack for patients.

“Miss Gear, I am just glad you realized that at such a young age. Even other ponies your age in that place love to be the center of attention, so I must ask...are you certain about moving to a more busy section of the Hospital?” Nurse Redheart gazes levelly at Little Gear, the filly stopping for a moment and prompting the older mare to pause as well. She brushes out a lock of mane from her face, fixing the nurse with her oddly-toned double-iris eyes.

“Yes. I would prefer a spot where I can occasionally be on my own. Even in school, teachers were surprised that I would do things on my own. To them, I was a set of wheels, an axle with twin cogs that keeps the clock moving at a steady pace.” Nurse Redheart was mildly impressed with Little Gear's analogy, something of which she felt was more mature than such a filly should be capable of.

“So to you, it is preferable to be somewhere that would stabilize your current location?” Little Gear took a mild glance to Redheart, before sighing and looking forward before continuing to walk. She'd finally gotten used to walking with the crutch and could move at a decent pace. It still sounded heavy with the thump of the rubber end, so each third step had a mild 'thump' to it.

“To me...yes. I do not like to hold up other ponies for something as simple as my situation.” she states, sounding rather...cold and aloof, too aloof for Redheart's liking as she takes another glance to the half-sulking filly.

“So you want to go into the place of the Hospital the most filled with other patients who are going to be around shorter than you ever will?” the question cut deep through Little Gear's mild apathy, causing her to look aside to Redheart.

“Yes. I would prefer to know that others are going on with their lives. Its a....reassuring thought, a reminder that progress continues even without my input.” Little Gear grumbles, once again Nurse Redheart getting even more curious about this little filly's life. She fights down the urge to ask about what her life was like before the accident, smiling to try and lift the mood of the conversation.

“Being so realistic in the way you look at the world...is it really so healthy for a filly your age?”

“If I wasn't, who would be?” Little Gear snaps immediately, blinking before blushing and carefully keeping her gaze focused ahead once more. Nurse Redheart smiles faintly, glad to finally have hit what seems to be the biggest nagging issue for her.

“That's what us older mares and stallions are for, hon. You shouldn't be troubling yourself with such problems. Its often better to let a wiser and older pony to assess what is going on, especially since you won't have all the answers.” Nurse Redheart states, Little Gear giving a derisive sigh.

“...yeah, I guess so. Look, don't expect me to spill my emotions all over the place. I'm not a touchy-feely filly, I don't like sharing my feelings with somepony I hardly know.” she continues to grumble, the moment totally being ruined with her reaction.

“I see...” Nurse Redheart trails off, letting the topic drop as dead as a broken tree limb does.

~

It was five days later that Little Gear was enjoying watching other patients get checked out of the hospital, and occasionally a few going in for various injuries. It was this fateful day she saw...oddly enough, another Earth Pony arrive who had the same issue as she did, only his missing limb was the rear left leg. They exchanged a significant gaze, Little Gear noticing that his was filled with more wisdom than hers.

Some hours later after he'd been brought in, Little Gear was informed by Nurse Redheart that she'd have a new friend in the room. She'd been used to this, it was the usual thing since she'd requested to have a room that was two beds for patients instead of a single patient room.

It was to her utter surprise then, that the Stallion she'd seen enter earlier was her new roommate. She looks at him curiously, as he simply takes off a hat she hadn't noticed him to be wearing earlier. The fedora was a simple tanned brown, his cutie mark a curious gem with yellow stripes and catlike in design.

“Hello there. I've been told your name is Little Gear. I'm Cats Eye, used to do quarry work for a gemstone mining company before....well, you can probably guess.” he states, giving a soft grin at her shocked expression.

“So...they couldn't do anything for you either with Unicorn magic?” she asks, rather hopeful. He simply nods, prompting Little Gear to speak more, “Well, that's a relief, I thought I was the only pony in the world who had that happen...” He moves over to his bed, sitting down on it and positioning himself to watch her.

“There's more than just me. Ponies in hard lines of work run the highest risk of it, really. Not uncommon, but it isn't something Princess Celestia would want to hide from the public. After all, she's been demanding somepony in the sciences to develop an idea that would work. Replacement legs and wings? Maybe even replacement horns, for the Unicorns who are unfortunate enough to have it broken? Would be a grand thing to create, y'know? So many ponies given help, especially in a way that gives the Princess some relief.” Little Gear just stares at this strange pony, who somehow just spilled all that as if it was common knowledge.

'Well, it kinda is...I'd read as much in the news from Canterlot lately...' she thinks to herself, looking away, “W-well...why did you bring that up to me? I'm just a little filly, how could I be of any help to such a major problem?” there's a chuckle from the stallion as she finishes that sentence, startling Little Gear a little more. All of her usual firewalling to avoid enjoying the conversation had gone unnoticed.

“Why? You're still young, Miss Gear. Besides...with that name of yours, something tells me your family knows a thing or two about stability. Clock makers who have a daughter that lost a limb from an accident that has never been talked about? I may not be a private detective, but even I know that sounds fishy.” he nudges, pushing the topic in ways that Little Gear couldn't help but feel disturbed with.

'Why does he know about the swingset accident that day? I didn't tell Snow Glider to let anypony know I got stuck on the chains and tumbled off it, breaking my shoulder completely at the joint. What is he hiding....?' she thinks to herself, watching Cats Eye carefully set himself into the bed and hanging up his hat.

“Miss Gear, do you mind if I ask why you lost your leg?” he asks, gazing earnestly at her.

'...I can't say 'no' to that face. He looks honestly curious, not to mention that voice is just so gentle...he can't be a bad stallion, right?' Little Gear nods, “Sure. Well, you seem to know it was an accident, so that much I can say is true. As for what happened?” she pauses, letting the air sit quiet before continuing, “I goofed up on jumping off a swing set in the playground. My leg wound up curled around a chain, got stuck and because of momentum I just...snapped my entire shoulder joint out. Clean break, doctors said it couldn't be repaired with magic.” she states, curiously eying Cats Eye.

“Mmmm...I see. Well then, all the more reason for you to try figuring it out for yourself. I have a few books for light reading here, if you want?” he asks, pulling out a few large tomes. They looked big to Little Gear, something of a dangerous weight given her light frame...even for an Earth Pony she wasn't as solidly built as usual.

“Uhm....maybe later. Why are you so interested in anatomy and mechanical designs?” Little Gear asks, having noted the titles of the books.

“Isn't it obvious? I plan on making a prosthetic for myself.”

“Prosthe-wha? What is that?”

“Pros-the-tic.” he draws the word out for her, letting Little Gear hear the word in full, “Its what you call a fake limb designed to mimic the original. I figure if nopony's gonna try making it for me, I'll do it myself.” Little Gear grins, already liking how this stallion thinks.

“So...you plan on doing it yourself, with no knowledge of how it should work?” she queries, mildly amused. Cats Eye shrugs, not put off by her smugness.

“Yeah? So what, does it matter that much?”

“Well...yes. You need to know how counterweights and basic movement work, what the gears within the prosthetic itself would do. Not to mention you'll need a way to power it, which would be really difficult if you do an external power source. If internalized, you'd need to know how magic works...”

“Well then...why not make a leg for yourself? That crutch can only work for so long, hm? It breaks down just like anything else.”

“But just like anything else, it can be....improved upon....” she blinks, before giving a bright heart-warming smile to Cats Eye, “Thanks, Mister Eye...I think I know what to do in my spare time now...” she says, getting up and strapping on the crutch to head out. Cats Eye smiles softly, watching Little Gear leave the room.

“Now there's a filly with grand ideas just waiting to be explored. Maybe...I can give her some funny stories later to retell to other patients. If I'm not to stay here forever, I should pass on what I can.” He mutters to himself, sighing and settling down in the bed to relax for the rest of the day, being careful to not bother Little Gear as she sets to work in designing her own personal prosthetic.