• Published 26th Oct 2016
  • 3,217 Views, 28 Comments

Luna's Twilight Problem - FeatherB



Luna confesses her love to Twilight. (That's all that happens. No, seriously that's it.)

  • ...
3
 28
 3,217

Chapter 2

Luna stormed through her room, nostrils flared, and looking for something to throw. Sometimes her sister was even more infuriating than her video games.

How dare she mention our banishment!

A dress was extracted from the mounds on the floor and flew across the room in a flash of the blue light.

Does she not know how it hurts us still?

She scooped up a pillow with her hoof and sent it sailing into a dresser, which did little except rattle the picture frames on top.

With a snort, she marched over to her four-poster bed and fell back onto it. Then she held up her hind leg that was still snugly covered by a pink and purple sock. With great effort she bent forward and gripped it in her teeth, sliding it off as she laid back again.

Why does speaking with Twilight worry me so? Luna wondered with a sigh, dropping the sock by her bedside. I have spoken to her many times before, and she has always been kind to me. Why wouldn’t she be now?

Luna imagined the look on Twilight’s face; scornful, maybe even disgusted, with her eyes and nose scrunched up. Princess Luna, how could you suggest we court one another? You’re a thousand years old, and I have studying to do.

“No, Twilight does not sound like that,” Luna growled. “We are being foalish.”

He mind was made up. Rolling out of her bed, her horn flared and snatched up the pieces of her jewelry that were scattered about the room. As each silvery piece fell into place, she became more resolute. She would go about her nightly duties regardless of Twilight’s presence. There were important matters to attend to somewhere... but should Twilight have need of her, then she would use that opportunity to express her feelings. If not, then she wouldn’t force an encounter between them. Her sister would be asleep by then anyway, and it would be better to let fate decide.

Luna’s tiara lowered onto her head, dark and glittering. She observed it in her small beside mirror. With a hoof, she brushed the last few stray strands of her mane into place, and stared deeply into her own eyes.

“We will not intrude on Twilight tonight,” she promised herself. There will be other times to speak with her.

Then, when Luna was confident that she no longer looked like a complete mess, she strode out of her room to begin the night.


Luna found herself standing outside the library’s vast wooden doors unable to move from the spot. Somewhere inside Twilight was studying her books. She could tell from the wavering candlelight that seeped out from under the doors. All she had to do was knock.

No! We promised to leave her be, she reminded herself.

But her body remained rooted stubbornly in place. Sister did tell her that we might stop and visit tonight.

Yet the thought of opening the door and interrupting Twilight’s studies was more than she could bear. And so the castle hall remained still except for the wave of Luna’s mane, while her inner struggle raged on.

Minutes slipped by, until the sudden “thump” of a book closing startled Luna into action.

Now is our chance! Come on, move...

Her hoof raised slowly to the doors, but instead of knocking she pressed lightly against one and pushed it open a crack. With forced caution she slid her nose through until she was able to see into the room.

The library was filled with books, as all libraries are, but each was presented neatly on ornate wooden shelves that towered against the walls. Like the rest of the castle, lit torches flickered in their brackets, but were carefully spaced between the shelves. Solid, low lying tables were scattered about the room and surrounded by cushions that were half-hidden in the dancing shadows.

Twilight sat at the far table by an empty fireplace. She had instead lit several candles to read by and lain them about the table’s surface. Her hoof was resting on a stack of four books which Luna presumed she must have already finished, as Twilight was now perusing the covers of another stack, which were lying on the floor next to her.

Go forth and speak with her, or at least say something, anything! Luna’s mind crashed around like a storm. She couldn’t bring herself to move, let alone speak when her tongue felt as if it had swollen to twice its size. Oh, why does this have to be so hard? We haven’t any trouble speaking with our other subjects.

But, as if by magic, Twilight seemed to sense something was amiss. Her eyes shifted in Luna’s direction, just as she was floating another book to the table. For a moment neither of them moved, and Twilight’s face remained cast in the lavender hue of her levitation spell.

“Hello?”

Luna could hide no longer. She walked into the library, putting on a smile that was certainly not the least bit nervous. “Greetings, Twilight!” She cringed at the volume of her own voice.

“Oh, Princess Luna.” Twilight got to her hooves. “Celestia said you might be stopping by.”

See? She was expecting us. What were we so worried about? It took all of Luna’s willpower not to canter the rest of the way to her. “Please, have a seat, Twilight. I—I only wish to speak with you a moment.”

Twilight plopped back down onto her pillow, her face growing serious. “Is everything alright? Has something happened?”

Luna stopped and stood opposite from her. The moment had arrived, but with it came a thousand butterflies filling her stomach. She tried to fight against it, desperately searching for the right words. “Oh no, nothing like that. We... that it is I—” She had planned on sitting, but now her heart was racing so quickly the thought seemed absurd. She felt like running, or flying as far away as she could, but it was too late for that now, wasn’t it? She took a few steps back, her shoes clicking on the stone.

Twilight waited patiently, her face framed in the glowing light of the candles, soft and concerned. Her eyes were wide and attentive, and in those deep violet pools, Luna could see herself as she only grew more panicked.

Her face flushed, her whole body growing hot despite the cool castle air. I cannot do this. “I’m sorry, I can’t!” Luna cried, and before she knew it, her legs were carrying her out of the Library and down the hall, her escape echoing off the walls.

“Princess Luna? Wait!” Twilight called after her, but Luna did not stop. She had humiliated herself, and as the castle doors rushed past, she couldn’t imagine ever facing her again.

Twilight appeared in a brilliant flash of light, the sound drowning out Luna’s whinny as she skidded to a halt.

“Luna, what is going on?” Twilight demanded, her beautiful wings outstretched and blocking the hall.

The Princess’ breath came in ragged gasps, her mind reeling with each gulp of air. She could feel Twilight’s gaze burning into her, but she kept her own eyes fixated on the floor. “I’m sorry... I should not have gone... to speak with you. I have many other duties to attend to, and I should not have let my emotions get in the way.”

Luna could hear Twilight fold her wings, feel the light flutter of air, and the soft sound of her hooves as she approached.

“Luna, you can tell me,” she said in that gentle voice. “I’m here to help. There’s no problem too big or too small.”

Very slowly, Luna lifted her head and looked at Twilight. She was wearing the same troubled expression as the one in the library, but perhaps even more pronounced.

She pities me, Luna thought, shivering against a draft of wind. A rock had settled into her stomach, crushing the butterflies, and suddenly the whole thing didn’t seem to matter as much anymore. She drew in a deep breath, and managed a half-hearted smile. “We—sorry, I wished to inform you that I’ve never met a pony as brilliant or beautiful as you, Twilight. I had wanted to ask if you might... might be willing to court—that is, I mean to date me.” Luna shook herself. “I wish to know if you will date me.”

Twilight’s mouth was hanging half open, as if ready to speak, but no words were coming out.

“I know it’s foalish,” Luna said, quickly. “How could you see me as anything more than a princess, or a friend? Please, forget I said anything.”

Twilight blinked, and closed her mouth. “No, no I’m sorry, Luna, it’s not anything like that. It’s just, well... unexpected, that’s all.”

Luna’s heart leapt. “So you will?”

“No—I mean maybe,” Twilight grinned awkwardly. “I appreciate you letting me know, but I just need some time to think about this. I mean, it’s not every day you get asked out by a ruler of Equestria,” she chuckled, and Luna’s heart crashed back onto the ground.

“Of course,” she nodded stiffly. “Take whatever time you need.”

For a moment the world stood still, as they both seemed unwilling to be the first to leave, or continue the conversation.

Luna fidgeted. Her mane was starting to swirl before her face, but should couldn’t bring herself to brush it aside.

Instead, Twilight made the first move, carefully walking up next to the moon princess. “Luna, I do mean it when I say I’ll consider... ‘courting’ you,” she said with another small smile. “I just wasn’t quite prepared for this.”

“Thank you, Twilight,” Luna said quietly.

“You’re welcome, though I should probably get back to studying now.”

Luna, got to her hooves, unaware of when she had sat down. “Yes, I have... things to attend to as well.”

“Great! I’ll see you later then.”

“Farewell.”

Luna waited, unmoving, until the Twilight’s hoofsteps faded behind her. Then the tears came. They were silent, streaking down her face, though she did not shudder or grieve along with them. It felt as if a great weight had been lifted from her shoulders. Instead of being crushed she felt free, but not any better for it.

Many minutes later, she finally went on her way, thankful none of the night guard had crossed her path. There were other matters to attend to, though they were foggy in her mind. If she was to get through the night it was best to distract herself with whatever those tasks might be, and she would follow the rows of shuddering torches to wherever they wanted to take her.