• Published 14th Oct 2016
  • 1,877 Views, 109 Comments

Brains and Brawlers - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



The romantic adventures of mis-matched couple Sci-Twi and Gilda

  • ...
15
 109
 1,877

Against Medical Advice

The doors to the hospital emergency room as Gilda was wheeled in on a gurney. Doctors and nurses joined it, guiding it through the halls of the hospital. Numerous orders were given rapidly. So rapidly and with so many speaking that to an outsider, it would be difficult to make out what precisely was being said, to say nothing of by whom.

"Type and match."

"Three units whole blood."

"Prep the O.R."

"Stat."

Gilda laid unconscious on the gurney as she was wheeled through door after door. A bag valve mask covered her mouth and nose, one nurse squeezing it rhythmically. One eye was swollen shut, the flesh around it a dark purple and black. The other side of her face was completely covered in bright red. A large chunk of glass stuck out of her shirt, pointing almost straight up.

Reaching an operating room, the sound of a heart rate monitor filled the air. Its beats were fast and erratic, matching with Gilda's that was trying -- and failing -- to keep her alive after her injuries and blood loss.

"We're losing her!" a doctor shouted. "Prepare defibrillators. Set to three-hundred! Clear!" He brought the paddles down on Gilda's chest.j

"We-e-e-e are the cham-pions, my fri-endssss!"

Twilight let out a yelp, jumping in her seat. Her head slammed into the side window, sending a small burst of pain and creating a very loud THUNK! from the impact.

A cackle drew her attention to the driver, who was grinning at her and turning down the radio. We Are The Champions continued to play at a far more reasonable volume as they continued on. Twilight rubbed at the tender spot on her forehead as she put on her best death glare.

Unfortunately, her "death glare" ended up more like a cute pout that only got more laughter.

"That's not funny, Rainbow," she growled.

"Hey, don't blame me," Rainbow Dash stated, pushing some of her rainbow hair out of her face. "I asked if you had a problem with me turning it up. Not my fault you were caught up in whatever you were thinking."

"Gilda was in a car crash! She's in the hospital! How are you not worried?"

"Because it's Gilda," Rainbow answered. "As AJ would say --" Rainbow ran a hand through her hair, somehow making it look like Applejack's save for the color "-- 'Shucks, that girl could wrassle an angry bear and have it beggin' for mercy in no time.'"

Despite her frustration, a snort of laughter escaped from Twilight. While Rainbow may have been able to mimic Applejack's hairstyle and voice, the accent was way off. It did not sound like the actual southern twang their cowgirl friend used when she spoke, but an over the top exaggeration of it, like in a bad movie where the actors never heard an actual southern accent.

Still.

"Except she's not that tough," Twilight stated. "You saw how badly she got beaten up by... that one girl... the... monster... fish... thingy..."

"Aria."

"Right, her. And this wasn't a fist fight. This was a car crash. Two vehicles each weighing over two tons hitting each other anywhere from thirty to fifty miles per hour. Do you how much kinetic energy that creates? What it can do to a human body?"

"...no," Rainbow answered, giving a shrug.

"Well I do!" Twilight snapped. "She could have suffered severe head trauma, putting her into a vegetative state. She could have broken a rib and punctured a lung, having blood filling into it and causing her to slowly asphyxiate while coughing up bloody froth. She could--"

"TWILIGHT!" Rainbow yelled, glaring at Twilight as best she can. "Stop! Just STOP!"

The shouting caused Twilight to jump again.

Rainbow's shoulders were hunched, and arms tensed. Not that Twilight was looking, she could see the white of Rainbow's knuckles on the wheels. A pang of guilt shot through Twilight, making her look away.

"Sorry," she said. "I wasn't thinking about how you must be feeling about all this."

Rainbow gave a sudden sigh, her body relaxing some.

"Well considering how often I've been accused of not thinking, I guess I can't hold it against you." She turned to look partially at Twilight, lips pressing thin. "Just... think positive thoughts. Gilda's tough and she's gonna be fine."

"Right," Twilight said with a nod. "Okay."

The rest of the ride was in silence, Rainbow focusing on driving and Twilight mentally chanting to herself. After reaching the hospital and finding a parking spot, the pair walked toward the entrance, both resisting the urge to run. A quick stop at the receptionist desk got them a floor number and directions to the elevator bank.

As the pair headed for the nurse's station, they found Gilda standing beside it.

Twilight did not remember moving toward her girlfriend. One moment, she was standing next to Rainbow Dash, the next, she was hugging Gilda.

"Glad to see you too, egghead," Gilda grunted out, "but could ya ease up your grip there?"

"Sorry," Twilight said as she let go, taking a step away and putting her hand behind her back. "I'm just so relieved to see you're okay."

"Didn't I tell ya?" Rainbow said as she swaggered up to join the other two. "Gilda's tough. A little banged up, but fine."

Twilight studied Gilda for a long moment, taking in the injuries. It looked like they were all entirely on Gilda's left side. There was a bandage above her eye, several red spots soaking through. A large bruise covered the lower portion of her cheek and along her jawline, with small cuts in it. While not in an actual cast, Gilda's arm was wrapped up and in a sling.

"What happened?"

With a sigh, Gilda shook her head.

"Some idiot ran a stop sign," she said. "Plowed right into me." She punched her left fist into her right palm. A wince crossed her face as she let out a hiss. "Hit me right in the door, too."

"And you were driving," the nurse at the desk added. "Which is why you should be in your room, resting."

She turned to Rainbow and Twilight.

"You're friends with her a take it?" she asked, getting a nod. "Then maybe you two can talk some sense into her."

"Why?" Rainbow asked, raising an eyebrow. "What's going on?"

Gilda huffed and rolled her eyes.

"They want to keep me here," she grumbled. "For 'observation.'" She made a finger quote with her right hand. "So, apparently my wanting to leave now is 'against medical advice,' or whatever."

Twilight blinked as she tried to process what she just heard.

"You... you can do that? Just... just leave the hospital? Even if the doctors don't think you should? That's possible?"

"Yeah," Gilda answered. "I can leave under my own power, I'm an adult, and not legally crazy. As such, they can't keep me here if I want to leave." She then turned to the nurse's desk again. "So, stop stalling and give me the papers so I can leave already."

If Twilight was reading her face right, the nurse -- Tenderheart, according to the name tag -- was considering things that were not very nurse-like and most likely criminal. Instead of doing that or yelling, Tenderheart reached over to the printer and pulled off a sheet of paper. It and several others were set on a clipboard and passed over to Gilda.

"Will you at least have someone there to keep you company and call for help if something goes wrong?"

"Yeah, sure," Gilda said as she started signing. "Either of you up for a sleepover?"

"I am!" Twilight blurted out, quickly. So quickly, in fact, that she had not been expecting it herself.

"Eh," Rainbow said with a shrug. "Sure."

"Great," Gilda said as she slammed the pen down. "Now let's get out of here."