• Published 24th Oct 2016
  • 1,141 Views, 42 Comments

Love the Costume, Vinyl! - SkyLovesPie

  • ...
4
 42
 1,141

IV. Life

Author's Note:

Just a warning, this is the (maybe) one chapter that does contain "cussing", but not really. In the context, it could be taken as such, but it's intended mostly to show feeling and emotion.

Now that that's out of the way, have fun, you brave people!
:pinkiecrazy:
/\ that's my new favorite emoticon.. >_<

Moonlight looked up at me. On his face were several emotions- shock, horror, interest, and many more.

"Please tell me you're joking," he whispered, tears blossoming in the corners of his eyes. "Please..." I could only shake my head solemnly.

"Oh Celestia..." he muttered, tears now streaking down his face as he stared up at the ceiling, eyes far away. I could feel my own tears starting to fade.

"So it's true... my poor Rose Bud..." Moonlight was now weeping uncontrollably. Then he stood up and faced the wall, pain shimmering in his eyes.

"Get out," he growled at me, not caring that it was broad daylight outside. When I didn't move, he wheeled on me. "NOW!" He roared in anger. I still didn't move. If I went outside, it would be the end of me, and my dreams. He walked up to me, and stuck his face in mine. He snarled, and I growled. It was a low, guttural, animalistic sound. I bared my fangs and stood up to face him. My whole body tensed, preparing for a fight. And I knew who the victor would be.

"Uh..." Anger had been replaced by another emotion- fear. He was afraid of me. For the first time in my life, someone was legitimately terrified of me. He was on the verge of tears again. I could hear his heart beating faster and faster. I didn't back down. Now, I wanted to kill. I was beginning to thirst, and water wasn't going to do the trick. He backed up fast, tripping over a box and squishing himself into the corner, ears back.

My advance was slow, as my hunter's had been. I smiled a manic smile, and walked forward. My slow, sauntering lope was as relaxed as I had been in days- after all, what could he do to me? As I shadowed over Moonlight, who was now cramped into a tight corner, I laughed. It wasn't a good, pure sound as it had been in the pub the night before, it was the laughter of a killer. I crouched, preparing to spring upon my friend-turned-food. Just as I leaped, a sound came from the door, breaking my concentration. I turned my head instinctively.

"Moonlight?" called a mare's voice. It was soft and sweet, and reminded me of many happy memories with my parents that had become gray around the edges. I pulled him to his feat, a tear on his cheek. He wiped it away, and walked to the door as normally as possible.

"Oh.. uh... Hi, Hurricane," he said as he opened the door to reveal a pale blue pegasus mare with a gray and blue mane, lying flat and combed to perfection.

"Hi!" She smiled. "Who's that?" Hurricane asked, pointing a hoof at me.

"Oh, that's uh, that's my... friend. Melody Song."

"It's nice to meet you," I said quietly, keeping my fangs hidden. I didn't know if I could trust her yet. I couldn't even trust Moonlight, but that was to be expected. I had barely known him for a day.

"Cool contact lenses... I haven't seen any that were so bright before!" she said, interested in me now. Contact lenses? I thought. Then I remembered that my eyes were red now.

"Oh, uh, thanks," I tried to grin.

"I'm his sister," she said. "Just to clarify." Hurricane flared her wings, and a light breeze kicked up outside.

"Do you want to go explore today?" Moonlight asked us, now not quite as awkward, realizing that I wouldn't attack while she was there. I guessed he would take advantage of this, and spend as much time with her as possible.

"I have an allergy to direct sunlight," I told him pointedly. He glared at me for a bit.

"Oh, that's fine! Are clouds okay, or can you only go out at night?" the pegasus asked curiously.

"I'm not sure, but I think clouds are fine. It wouldn't be direct sunlight, so it should be good," I mumbled. "Why? Can you do something with clouds?"

"Just watch," she smiled. She turned around and walked to the edge of the driveway. Then she backed up, and galloped into the air. She was almost as fast as I was, and just as graceful, what with her spirals and other tricks. Her white-tipped wings were very large compared to her body, and the wingspan was easily larger than 15 feet, surprisingly. She soared above the clouds after a brief period of showing off, and began to circle. Hurricane spiraled faster and faster, and clouds began to follow her. Now I understood what she meant about clouds.

She was kicking up a hurricane.

"Holy-" I was cut off by a clap of thunder, or rather, her breaking the sound barrier.

"She's amazing, isn't she?" Moonlight whispered to me, awed.

"Yea..." I continued to stare up at her, my mouth gaping open. As soon as she came back down, once it was sufficiently storming, she looked at me in terror. I realized that I still had my mouth open... and my fangs were visible.

Her face was a mask of calm, but her actions and eyes betrayed her. I could see the tears welling up in the corners of her eyes. Why did they both cry? Was there something unknown to me that saddened the siblings?

"You're a- you're a... a vampire," she finally said. A drop of liquid pride rolled down her cheek and fell to the stones on the path below out hooves. "You're not allergic to the sun. You're just a vampire." I closed my mouth, and stared at the ground. How had I been so careless? Sure, I was new to this second life, but that's no excuse. I closed my eyes, and hoped that I was still safe in my bed at home, that vampires weren't real, and this was all a horrid nightmare.

"Bite me." I opened my eyes to see that she bent her neck towards me, as if to donate her blood.

"What?"

"You heard me," she said. "Bite me. Turn me."

"I only changed recently, I haven't even fed yet," I protested.

"What the hell, Hurricane?" Moonlight interjected. "Why would you become one of... them? After Rose Bud? How could you?"

"I won't deny that what happened to Rose happened. But it's part of my quest for knowledge. I have to know what it's like," Hurricane whispered back to him.

"You want to become one of the eternal damned?" He nearly shouted.

"It's not your choice," she mumbled, trying to justify it with herself before rectifying it with her brother. "Come on, Melody. Let's go." And with that, she walked off, her tail held high, flicking Moonlight's nose as she went past. I shrugged to him and followed her. His face was a deep red-orange colour.


"Where are we going?" I asked Hurricane as she led me along a narrow pathway beside the cold grey waters of the Batlantic Ocean. The name of it had always baffled me, as I often fell asleep in History class when I was in school.

"It's a small cave I go to when I want to be alone," she said over her shoulder. The path was next to a short cliff which turned into a small sandy beach. Ordinarily, I imagined that it would normally be filled with ponies having fun. However, due to her hurricane, which was now making quite a mess of my mane and tail, I doubted anypony wanted to be out here. Anypony except Hurricane, that is.

"So uh, you really want me to, uh, turn you?" I stammered awkwardly.

"Yes," she said in a hushed whisper. Her wings, which were open, noticeably drooped. In the pouring rain, which was getting louder by the minute, I could barely see or hear Hurricane. As the path sloped downwards, we trudged on in the newly formed mud. My hooves were usually a light tan, but now they were a deep, rich brown, due to the caked-on wet dirt and clay. Hurricane called something that I couldn't make out.

"What?" I yelled back.

"Move faster! It's up ahead!" I began to canter as fast as I possibly could. I kept to a canter because I didn't want to overrun Hurricane with my vampiric speed, but she was faster than I, so I sped to a gallop. In the distance, I spotted a small opening that was just barely big enough for a pony to fit through. I could see Hurricane's blue coat inside and I galloped at full speed, ignoring the laws of physics as I went.

"It's nice, isn't it?" she said in a low voice. It did no good to whisper in here, because it echoed quite nicely, and Hurricane's voice was repeated around the chamber several times before dissipating. I lit up my horn right as I stepped inside, because I though it would be dark. Turns out, I didn't have to. Why? Because at least two dozen crystals of various colours were scattered around in the cave, illuminating the shadows. In the center, there was a large white crystal that demanded your attention. It's white light brightened as Hurricane walked by it.

"Woah..." I said in awe, unable to stop myself. Moss carpeted the floor, and vines hung from the ceiling. The crystal in the middle, as I got closer, was not really a crystal at all. It was actually a tree with pure white bark. Its flowers were very fragrant, and smelled like oranges and roses. The pale pink petals sat in heaps upon the floor, but there were still may blooms left on the tree. Small golden lights circled around the tree, and I realized they were fireflies. This place was amazing. It was like something out of a fairy tale. Hurricane's eyes lit up as she saw my smiling, yet still awed face.

"This is a small cave I found when I was just a little filly," she said. "I've always come here when I wanted to be inspired or be alone." Te cave didn't seem like something that belonged in my story. Here it was, so light and beautiful and pure, and then there was me. A creature of darkness, of blood, of death. My kind lurked in the shadows of cities, playing as beggars, homeless, orphans, and then, pouncing upon unsuspecting prey. Drinking their blood.

The thought made me thirst even more.