• Published 4th Dec 2011
  • 1,182 Views, 9 Comments

Guardian - Zodiacthehedgehog



Equestria is under threat and the only one who can save it can barely remember his own name.

  • ...
8
 9
 1,182

Fear

Guardian
Chapter 6: Fear

Silver was back on the cliff overlooking the dark ocean. Everything was the same. Grey sky, black water, and Rage was mumbling to himself. There was another pony here. He looked like Silver, the same as Rage, but the pony was blue. He sat on the ground with his head hung. He looked to be crying, but no sound came from him. Only clear tear drops fell from his cheeks. Silver decided to call him Depression.

“Uh...” Silver didn’t know what to say.

“She died... she died because of me,” Depression sobbed.

“Let’s get them! Those Shadowshapers will pay!” Rage bellowed as he ran around in circles.

“No pony is getting any pony!” Silver shouted. His sudden aggression made the two ponies stop what they were doing and look at him. Silver took a deep breath and exhaled silently. “You two be quiet and pay attention,” Silver said, “I don’t want any of this to change me on the outside. I need to stay strong for the Guardians, for my friends.... for Twilight. You,” he pointed to Rage, “Cool it until I’m alone. And you,” he pointed to Depression, “Don’t let me break down in front of any pony. I will deal with all the build up when I can, but now isn’t the time,”

“We can’t help it,” Rage said quietly, “It will get harder as the more crystals you destroy. Soon, we will be a whirlwind of emotion that you won’t be able to control. You will be destroyed from the inside out, like the last one...”

“Who was the last one?” Silver asked.

“I’ve said to much!” Rage suddenly shouted. he winced as if he was in pain and went back to mumbling. Silver sighed and looked towards the south, over the cliff.

“Isn’t this were I’m supposed to wake up?” Silver asked. The other ponies didn’t answer so he hung his head in thought. After a few moments, Silver gasped. A sudden splitting headache came over him along with pain in his side.

“Wakey, wakey,” Rage said.

Silver opened his eyes to see he was being dragged across a cobblestone street. The stone dug into his back and didn’t help his head. He struggled weakly.

“Let go, I can walk!” Silver exclaimed. He was dropped and when he rolled over, he saw Twilight and Onyx looking at him, worried. When he stood up, he wavered a bit. Onyx came over and steadied him. “What happened?”

“Well, after you fell off the hotel, Twilight and I dragged you away before it collapsed,” Onyx explained, “We were taking you to the hospital, but it was too full of injured ponies from the altar’s power. We were just about to discuss were to take you,”

“Well, I’m fine,” Silver said, “Let’s just go home,”

“Unfortunately, only Twilight can,” Onyx said, “We got a new job and location. The Altar of Fear in a forest not far from here,”

“And you’re not going anywhere without going to a hospital first,” Twilight sternly said.

“I’m fine,” Silver repeated, “and if there is another altar nearby, then Onyx and I have to find it,”

“I’m coming with you then,” Twilight said. Silver hesitated. He thought back to that feeling right before he entered the hotel.

“I’d rather you not,” Silver slowly said, picking out his words, “but if you insist then I can’t stop you,”

“Why would you not want me to come?” Twilight said, looking hurt.

“Because I don’t want anything to happen to you,” Silver said. There was an awkward silence for a few moments. Silver huffed and turned around. “Whatever, come on then,” he said. He looked around and saw the forest Onyx was talking about. He started off in the direction. Onyx and Twilight looked at each other for a moment then followed him.

The forest was as dark and stuffy as the one near Ponyville. Silver shivered though it was very warm in there. He felt sick and tired, but he pushed on. Twilight walked up beside him. She didn’t say anything, but her presence comforted him somewhat. Onyx was sneaking along up ahead, scouting. Silver sighed and decided to look around. The trees were tall and blocked out most of the light. The brush on the ground struggled to get a hint of sunlight. The only flowers that were around were black and with barely any petals. Silver found it harder to move his hooves after each step. Twilight was also struggling and soon Onyx came back, panting like he had just run a ten mile race.

“I think it’s time for a break,” Onyx said wearily. The words barely left his mouth when Silver collapsed on the ground.

“This isn’t natural,” Silver said.

“Considering what happened to you, it isn’t natural you aren’t dead,” Onyx said as he sat down, “I will be first watch, I have a bad feeling about this place,”

“Me too,” Twilight said as she lay beside Silver. Silver couldn’t move if he wanted. It was as if a great weight was suddenly set on him. “Are you ok?” Twilight asked worriedly.

“Just a bit tired,” Silver said.

“You look like you are in pain,” Twilight put a hoof on his back.

“Do I?” Silver asked. He didn’t feel any pain at all.

“He seems fine,” Onyx said. Twilight shook her head.

“Maybe we should go back...” she trailed off at a glance from Onyx.

“No, not yet,” Silver said, “after a little rest, we must keep going,” Silver sounded more confident than he felt. Twilight just sighed and lay back down. Silver tried to keep his eyes open, but it was no use. His eyes slowly closed, as did Twilight’s.

Silver woke up suddenly as if a spell was lifted off of him. He sat up and noticed Twilight and Onyx had disappeared. He looked around, but his friends were no where to be found. He noticed hoof prints in the ground. He checked them carefully and followed them deep into the forest. Silver followed them directly, not wanting to lose the trail. He jumped over a log and crossed a stream. He kept going until he was at the mouth of a cave. Inside was pitch black and Silver was hesitant to enter.

“He comes...” a small, shrill voice echoed. Silver jumped and looked about him. No pony was around. “I hate to break such a strong spirited alicorn, but the task was given to us,”

“Show yourself!” Silver shouted.

“Come inside...” The voice grew softer.

“Silver?!” Silver heard his name. It was Twilight’s voice. Without second thought, he immediately jumped into the cave’s entrance and bolted down into the darkness.

“Twilight?” Silver called as he noticed side passages leading off.

“Silver!” Twilight shouted then he heard her scream, “No! No!”

“Twilight!” Silver screamed as he ran down another passage. Her screams cut into the silence. Silver jumped down holes and turned from passages trying to follow her voice.

“Silver!” She screamed again.

“I’m coming!” Silver called as he turned down another tunnel. Her cries were cut short suddenly. “No!” Silver cried out as he charged down the last passage. In front of him was a door that was promptly broken down by the silver pony. Silver nearly cried out in horror to what he saw. Twilight was on the ground, bleeding. Over her was a shadow. It was in the shape of some creature. It had long sharp claws, a hunched back, pointy ears, and sharp teeth. Its tail had spikes on the end and so did its back.

“The intruder has come...” it said as it slowly backed away from it’s kill. Silver didn’t pay attention to it as he ran over to Twilight.

“Twilight!” Silver called out as he flipped her over. Her face was void of expression. Her eyes were glazed over and her mouth was closed. The cut in her neck was all too visible. “Twilight!” Silver shouted again as if she would hear him and come back. The creature let out a long, shrill laugh. It was now looking over his shoulder.

“I am the things that will kill her. The things you will unleash. It might not be directly from you, but from what you do. Do you value her safety?” The creature hissed. Silver nodded as he lay his head on Twilight’s body, “Do you want to fail another pony you love?” The creature asked. Silver shook his head, “Then face your fears. Face the death that lingers all around us,” the creature preached. Silver could hear the sound of something like blades scraping across the floor. “Fight me, I am the altar. If you want it gone then you will have to kill me,”

“Gladly,” Silver said as he bucked the creature behind him. He felt no contact and suddenly the room went pitch black. Silver looked around in circles. The creature was no where to be found. Silver caught sight of a pair of red eyes looking at him. He shot a bolt of magic. It lit up the room as it traveled at it’s target. Silver gasped when he saw thousands of the creature all around him. The bolt hit its target. There was a loud screech and Silver felt as if he been stabbed by a million swords at once. It made him buckle under the pain. As he did he saw the creature run around, confused and in pain, until he it a wall and shattered like glass.

“Silver! Wake up!” Twilight shouted as she shook Silver awake. Silver’s eyes opened suddenly.

“Twilight?” Silver asked as if he didn’t believe she was here.

“You were having a nightmare,” Twilight explained, “We all had fallen asleep. I woke up when I heard you thrashing around-” Silver had lunged at her and hugged her tightly.

“I thought you were dead,” Silver said softly, “In my dream, we were lost in these caves and this creature... I’m just glad you’re ok,”

“Um... thanks,” Twilight said. Silver let go of her and smiled awkwardly. Onyx leaped out of the brush.

“I found it... but you wouldn’t believe it,” Onyx slowly said. They followed him through the forest. It didn’t take long before they found a cave. Inside, an altar stood, but around it was a shattered gem.

“It’s already been destroyed!” Twilight asked.

“Look,” Onyx said. On the ground near by was dried blood. Silver gulped.

“Since our work has been done for us,” Silver said, “I guess we can go home,”

“And if we’re lucky, some R and R,” Onyx said. As they left, Silver turned around. He imagined the shadow creature smiling in the shadows.

Silver quickly fell asleep on the train. Even thought it was noon, he was already beat. First, he was having a dream about flying through a field of endless clouds. Then, the scene changed to the cliff overlooking the sea. Silver sighed.

“I was having a great dream too,” he said as he turned. Rage seemed to be sniffing the ground. Depression was crying into his hooves. And, a new member to the family, Fear’s head was in the ground like an ostrich's.

“Blood... blood,” Rage muttered.

“Welcome to our dysfunctional family,” Silver greeted sarcastically.

“Who said that?!” Fear shouted as he brought his head out of the ground. He screamed and hid behind Depression. Silver shook his head. Three more altars and three more shadows of himself to add.

“Since you guys are no help, I’m going now,” Silver said.

“Battle, I must have battle!” Rage shouted and ran around in circles doing a war cry.

“Good luck with that,” Silver said.

Silver heard voices. He slowly opened one eye, but kept still otherwise. He could see Twilight and Onyx talking to each other. Silver closed his eye again and steadied his breathing.

“I don’t care what you believe, something is wrong with him,” Twilight argued.

“Silver seems fine to me,” Onyx said calmly, “Look, he’s sleeping like a foal,”

“He just seems out of it,” Twilight said, “He isn’t like the pony who first came to Ponyville. Happy and ready to help. Lately, he seems to have gotten... slower,”

“Trust me, I’ve known him for a long time,” Onyx said. That seemed odd to Silver. He had only known Onyx for a few days.

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked.

“I can’t tell you now, but later,” Onyx said. Twilight sighed.

“I’m going to read more on this,” Twilight said. Silver heard her get out of bed and open one of the doors.
“Pfft, read,” Onyx said as the door shut. Silver pretended to yawn and wake up.
“What’s for dinner?” Silver asked.
“Sandwiches, as always,” Onyx chuckled, “Good evening, hope you got some sleep,”

“Yup,” Silver said, “Best I’ve ever had,” That was a lie of course. He felt worn out, not refreshed. Onyx produced some sandwiches when Twilight had come back and they ate in relative silence. Silver was silent because he was tired. More emotionally than physically. It took most of his concentration not to let the feelings inside him exploded until he was alone and far away from, anypony else.

“Well, that was nice,” Silver said when he was done. He put on a smile, “I’m going out for some fresh air for a few minutes,” he got out of bed and went to the back of the train. When he left the car he was just in, he ran all the way to the back. He was thankful that they were in the very first car. When he reached the end of the train, the edge of the caboose, he screamed incoherently. “Why do I have to do this?!” Silver shouted to himself, “I feel as if I am torn into pieces! I need help!” Silver put his head on the railing. He realized he just needed to yell. Needed to vent his anger, his sadness, and fear. At least nopony was around.

“Why don’t you ask your friends?” Nighthawke asked. Silver jumped and reeled around. Behind him was the pony he had met back at Appleloosa.

“You!” Silver shouted, “What do you want?”

“I just wanted to see how you were doing in destroying the altars,” Nighthawke replied innocently, “Three out of six so far, good job! It almost makes me wish to stop trying to resurrect Nafarious so you can have a break,”

“What are you talking about?” Silver asked cautiously.

“You don’t know?” Nighthawke seemed surprised, “Didn’t the Guardians tell you the legend? If at least one Gem of Destruction is active, then Nafarious will rise when the last Lightbringer and the last Shadowshaper fight?”

“We already fought, why didn’t he rise then?” Silver asked.

“You don’t get it do you?” Nighthawke laughed, “Just wait, you will find out eventually,” Nighthawke then faded and left Silver very confused. He sat down and bowed his head trying to think. Silver’s mind was all in a jumble. Just trying to think about what he wanted for breakfast in the morning hurt his head. Silver started to get tunnel vision.

“Silver, you ok?” Twilight asked as she opened the door to the balcony. Silver didn’t answer for a few seconds.

“Yea,” he finally said, “Just... just a bit tired,”

“Come on then,” Twilight said comfortingly, “your bed is waiting for you,”

“Ok,” Silver stood up and with the help of Twilight, they went back to their beds. Onyx was already snoring on his bed. His hoof was hanging off the side. Silver slowly climbed onto his bunk. He fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.

Silver found himself in that grassy field again. The tree had golden leaves this time and the sun was as bright as ever. Only a few clouds were in the sky. Silver spotted another pony lying down under the tree. He assumed it was Sapphire and walked over to her. She waved her hoof at him as he got close. She stood up and hugged him. Silver didn’t know how to feel about that. He laid himself down beside her and sighed. He felt good. No whirlwind of emotions spinning in his mind.

“I’m sorry I’ve been quiet a while,” Sapphire apologized, “I tried to reach you, but you were... disconnected,”

“What do you mean?” Silver asked. Sapphire sighed and shook her head.

“There are three possibilities,” Sapphire explained, “One, you died,”

“Nope,” Silver said as he munched on an apple that fell out of the tree.

“Two, you lost your magical powers,” Sapphire said.

“Nope again,” Silver said as he threw the apple core away with magic.

“Three... you love another pony,” Sapphire said sadly.

“No- wait what?” Silver stood up.

“I have always been able to talk to you because you loved me too much to let go,” Sapphire explained as she stood up with him, “Now, it’s hard to reach you because something is blocking the way,”

“That’s... That’s absurd,” Silver stammered.

“Are you sure?” Sapphire asked. Silver noticed grey clouds forming in the sky, blocking out the sun. Silver didn’t know what to say. His mouth opened and closed trying to form words. This is the part where I wake up now, Silver hoped. But he didn’t.

“Look-”

“Who is she?” Sapphire quietly asked.

“Enough,” Silver commanded. Sapphire seemed o calm down a little, “I may have lost my memory, but I remembered how you died. Yes, I loved you, but I can’t hold onto the past. You were a great pony, I’m sure, but you’re dead now,” Silver had to say it, even though he felt as if his heart was getting torn in half, “Twilight Sparkle isn’t and I need to keep her safe from this war between Shadowshapers and Lightbringers,”

Sapphire just shook her head. The edges of Silver’s vision started blurring so he knew he was about to get a break from her.

“Goodbye,” she quietly said and walked away. Silver was then forcibly pulled out of his dream.