• Published 4th Dec 2011
  • 1,180 Views, 9 Comments

Guardian - Zodiacthehedgehog



Equestria is under threat and the only one who can save it can barely remember his own name.

  • ...
8
 9
 1,180

The Guardians

Guardian
Chapter 2: The Guardians

Silver was awakened by the sun that shone through his window. Silver opened one eye and looked around. He had to struggle to remember the events of yesterday. It still bothered him that he could barely remember a thing besides yesterday. He yawned and rolled out of bed. The door to his room was ajar, but that didn’t bother him. What bothered him was the lack of noise in the house. He quietly walked downstairs to the kitchen. When he didn’t see anypony, he opened the door and walked outside.

The air was warm and humid. The sun was shining bright on the apple farm. Silver could see Granny Smith asleep on a rocking chair under a tree. He saw the red stallion from before picking up some empty baskets and carrying them out to the field. Silver ran over to him.

“Hi, my name’s Silver, what’s yours?” Silver asked when he caught up.

“Big Macintosh, or Big Mac for short,” Big Mac said slowly. Silver nodded and for a second neither one of them said anything. Soon, Silver cleared his throat.

“So, why didn’t anypony wake me up?” Silver asked.

“Nothing was going on, so why would we wake you?” Big Mac asked.

“Well, I kind of feel like a burden, is there any way I can help out around here?” Silver asked. Big Mac stopped and lifted up one of his enormous baskets. He set it down on Silver’s back and it felt like a whole entire tree was on him.

“So how does it feel?” Big Mac asked with a hint of amusement. Silver grunted in answer.

“Light... as... a... feather,” Silver had to talk in between breaths. He wasn’t going to take the easy way. Big Mac chuckled and led him to the field. It took them half an hour to make it to Big Mac’s spot. Silver wondered if it was on purpose. Thankfully, he was able to drop the basket on the ground under the tree. Big Mac motioned for him to stand back, so Silver complied. Big Mac stood on his fore-hooves and did a mighty buck. The tree shook and all sorts of apple fell. Silver was amazed. Silver had the honor of carrying the dead weight on his back. He thought his spine was going to shatter. They slowly walked back to the barn and Silver quickly set the basket down.

“Told you,” Silver sighed, “Light as a feather,”

“Eeeyup,” was all that Big Mac said.

“What’s this?” Applejack asked as she came running up to them, “I see you’ve got our guest working,”

“It’s my pleasure,” Silver said, “I would feel horrible if I didn’t do something to help out around here,”

“That’s good to hear, there is plenty of work to go around,” Applejack said, “Wanna help me bring some apples into town?”

“Sure!” Silver said excitedly. Silver strapped the two baskets full of apples onto his back. They weren’t heavy at all, he could walk all day with this on his back.

“Ready?” Applejack asked. Silver nodded and they hiked down to Ponyville.

“So, Silver,” Applejack started as they made their way to the town, “Have you remembered anything so far?”

“Actually, yes,” Silver said, thoughtfully, “During the night, I had a strange dream. I can’t remember it clearly, but I know it’s something from when I was younger,”

“That’s great!” Applejack said, upbeat, “Soon, you might remember everything,”

“Ya...” Silver trailed off.

“What?” Applejack asked when she saw Silver wasn’t as excited as she was.

“It’s just... what if there is something to remember that I don’t want to. What if I was a bad pony or worse?” Silver asked anxiously.

“I doubt it, you don’t seem like a bad apple. I bet that you just... got hit in the head or something,” Applejack reassured.

“I guess. So where are we delivering these apples?” Silver asked as he spotted Ponyville getting closer.

“We have an apple stand that we tend to in the center of town. We’re just resupplying it,” Applejack said.

“Need some help with that too?” Silver asked. Applejack chuckled at that comment. When she saw Silver’s confused face, she chuckled again.

“Sorry, sugar cube. I have never seen a pony that wanted to work as much as you do. Actually, my sister, Applebloom, is going to try and run the stand with her two friends. They are trying to get their cutie marks by doing all sorts of odd things. They call themselves the Cutie Mark Crusaders,” Applejack explained. Silver laughed.

When they reached the center of Ponyville, they could see the stand. Applebloom and two other fillies were standing on some stools behind it. Silver took off the baskets and gave them to Applejack.

“What the hay?” Silver heard Applejack say confused.

“What? Something wrong with the apples?” Silver asked.

“No, there’s a new stand over there with some strange ponies,” Applejack described. Silver shrugged and went over to it. The ponies stood up when he got near.

“Hello, good stallion. My name is Bluemane and this is my colleague, Marshall Goldstar. We represent the guild know as the Guardians. You seem to be a fit pony to work for us. What do you say?” the blue unicorn asked.

Silver looked at them puzzled.

“I was going to ask who you were and what you were doing here, but that has been answered. I also don’t join guilds blindly. Tell me about it first,” Silver said. Bluemane and Marshall looked at one another, worried.

“Truth is son,” Marshall said quietly, “we’re recruiting because our numbers are slim. Most of us were killed in action just a couple days back. I can’t give you anymore details other than this guild is dangerous and you will be expected to fight at any given minute. We don’t accept just anypony, but at these times it is different,” Marshall explained gravely. Silver cocked his head.

“That’s bad advertising,” Silver pointed out. He meant that to be a joke, but the other ponies didn’t laugh. Marshall gave him a weird look while Bluemane looked at her papers. “I’ll think about it, just don’t expect me to say yes,” Silver said. He slowly turned around and walked back to Applejack.

Later, Silver and Applejack were walking back to the farmhouse when he saw something moving in the trees. The wind picked up and it got awfully cold. The apples on the trees turned rotten and fell off by the dozens.

“What in tarnation?” Applejack asked as she check the trees. The sky grew dark and Silver felt adrenaline pulse in his veins.

“Applejack, I think we should head back to town...” Silver trailed off as he saw red eyes staring at him in the darkness.

“Why on earth would we-” Applejack was knocked back as a shadow charged at Silver with a shining knife. The blade had a sickly green glow etched on it. Silver froze, but then something kicked him into gear. As the shadow got close, Silver ducked his head. He lifted his head up and threw the attacker over him. As the attacker flew threw the air, Silver’s horn glowed a bright gold. A bolt of magic exploded out of his horn and hit his opponent directly in the chest. The shadow spun head over hooves and hit a tree. It immediately got back up and disappeared. Silver looked around erratically. The shadow was no where to be seen. He heard hoof-steps behind him and turned around. Silver was tackled to the ground and held down. Silver struggled, but it felt like magic glued him to the earth.

“I finally got you now,” his attacker said as the blade of the knife was lifted up into the air. Suddenly, his attacker was lifted up into the air and thrashed about. The shadowy figure was thrown to the ground and then thrown against a tree. When Silver thought it was over, the pony disappeared in a black smoke and was gone. Silver was breathing heavily. He looked to his right to see the knife embedded into the ground next to him. He touched it with his hoof and was suddenly overcome with depression and pain. He quickly took his hoof away. He stood up and shook the dust off of himself.

“You better be more careful next time,” said a black unicorn as he walked towards Silver. Silver nodded his thanks.

“Who was that?” Silver asked. The black unicorn shook his head and picked up the knife. He put it into one of the bags he was carrying. “Who are you?” Silver asked.

“My name is Onyx Shadowshaper. I just saved your life,” Onyx said smartly.

“The name is Silver, and I think I could have taken care of my self,” Silver replied. Onyx chuckled and helped Applejack up. Silver was about to say something when a scream cut him off. “No! Stay away!” Silver heard somepony shout. Silver and Onyx both bolted off for the cry.

The scream had led them away from the orchard into the Everfree forest. Silver jumped over roots and dodged the encasing trees. It seemed darker and windier than before. Silver fancied he saw shadows pursuing them, but keeping a safe distance. The wind kept picking up speed until it howled in Silver’s ears. Onyx leaped nimbly over a fallen log and dodged out of the way of a giant oak tree. Silver flapped his wings and picked up speed. He made a sidelong glance towards Onyx. Onyx looked back at him and picked up the pace. It seemed they were racing to the noise to prove something.

Soon, they came to a clearing. It was dark and there was the smell of death. Silver slowed down. For some time, the screams continued. Now it seemed they were suddenly cut off. He looked around the clearing and paced from one side to the other. He stubbed his hoof on something. He lit up his horn to see what it was and cried aloud. Onyx rushed over and lit up his horn also. On the ground in front of them was the body of a orange furred unicorn with a yellow mane. The smell of blood and death was really strong around her. Silver felt bile rising and ran behind a tree. He threw up his lunch and everything before that.

“She seems to have just died,” Onyx said matter-of-factly. Silver walked back over and looked at the cut in her neck. It had stopped bleeding, but it was glowing a radiant green.

“Poison...” Silver thought aloud. An old memory seemed to stir within him, but it wasn’t revealed.

“Exactly!” Onyx exclaimed, “There must be some more of what attacked you earlier. Come on, let’s go find them,”

“What!” Silver shouted, “No way. Let’s head back and get help. It’s only the two of us against whatever number of them. Who are they anyway?”

Onyx sighed, “They are a clan made up of both Shadowshapers and Lightbringers. Mostly Shadowshapers because they are more easily recruited to the cause. Lightbringers take a more... magical way of converting. They are corrupted with lies and pain until they break. It happened to a good friend of mine. He was captured and tortured by the Shadowshapers for months until he went out of contact. I’m hoping to find him again,” Onyx explained.

“I... That’s really rough, Onyx. I hope you do find him... Let’s go find these Shadowshapers and teach them not to mess with Ponyville!” Silver exclaimed. Onyx smiled and nodded.

“All right, so what do we do again?” The first shadow guard asked the other.

“Ugh, first, we spot the intruders,” said the most experienced one annoyed.

“Ya, then?” the first one asked.

“Second, we shout ‘HALT!’” the other guard said.

“Ya, ya?” the first guard asked excitedly.

“Then we kill them,” the second guard finished. The first one cheered and jumped around. He stopped jumping around when he saw his friend replaced with a black unicorn. Then a sudden weight descended onto him and crushed his back. Silver donned the first one’s armor. It was a little tight, but it worked. Onyx put on the other uniform. The two ponies had walked through the Everfree forest until they reached a temple-like place. There weren’t many guards guarding the perimeter, so they took out the ones guarding the stairs. Onyx assured Silver that this is the most likely place that an HQ would be set up.

“Easy enough,” Silver said as he picked up the spear on the ground.

“Don’t get cocky, those guards weren’t professional. That’s why they got outside duty. We might run into complications inside the structure. If so, we might need the armor,” Onyx said. Silver groaned. They slowly walked up the stairs and into the dark entrance. It was like a long mountain tunnel. It didn’t seem to end. In the distance, they could see a red glow. They hastened to the exit and soon found themselves in a large chamber. Guards walked to and fro, looking in every nook and cranny. In the middle was a large table. Around it were a couple of ponies in black robes. On the robes was only one symbol. A red dragon with large wings and horns. They were discussing something that Silver couldn’t hear.

“Hey, you two. What are your numbers?” came a gruff voice behind them. Onyx and Silver reeled around to see a large stallion standing over them. He was carrying a large battle axe and had very heavy armor.

“Uh... forty-two?” Onyx asked warily. The guard growled. Silver coughed.

“Um... What’s your number?” Silver asked.

“Three thousand fifty-six. I am the oldest guard here,” the guard growled. He turned to his friends. They laughed. “Looks like we have intruders boys,”

The large guard shouted and raised the alarm. The ponies in black robes quickly fled, forgetting the documents they were discussing over. An arrow landed right next to Silver. Another nicked his shoulder plates.

“Run!” Onyx shouted. He quickly ran into the tunnel. Silver was about to when the large guard landed right in front of him.

“Not your lucky day it seems,” The guard said menacingly. Silver looked left and right and shrugged. He jumped backwards and fell to the center of the layered temple. He remembered he had wings and used them to slow his descent. He landed right on the table and was about to run when he noticed the map and notes. He picked those up in his mouth and looked for an exit.

“Silver!” Silver looked around to see the source of the voice. There was a blue flash and suddenly, in front of him was a blue unicorn. She pulled on the torch above her and ran right through the closed wall. Silver leaped forward and, without knowing why, pulled on the torch. Instead of coming out of its holder, it fell forward and the wall swung open. He was hesitant to go in there, but when he looked back to see the chaos of his and Onyx’s appearance, he dove into the tunnel as the wall closed. Almost immediately, the tunnel was pitch black. Silver lit up his horn to find his way through it. The walls were made of stone. The ground was damp and moss hung on the ceilings and walls. It seemed to go on forever, but as far as Silver could tell he couldn’t go back. He sighed and trekked forward.

After what seemed like forever, the end of the long tunnel finally came. Silver dashed out of it happily and shed the disguise. The armor made no sound as it hit the soft grass. Silver held the map and notes firmly in his mouth and bolted into the forest. He had not gone far when he literally ran into Onyx.

“Ow!” Onyx shouted, rubbing his head, “Silver! You’re back!”

“Yup, and I brought presents!” Silver exclaimed as he presented the souvenirs. Onyx took them and laid them on the ground. He sifted through them and gasped.

“Silver! Do you know what you brought me?” Onyx asked hastily.

“Not really. I just felt like they were important,” Silver admitted.

“This map shows each Shadow altar and these notes explain how to activate them. If I’m reading these right... oh no...” Onyx trailed off as he reread one of the notes. Silver looked over his shoulder to read.

“Nafarious... Chaos Dragon? Old God? Onyx, what is this saying?” Silver asked.

“Nothing important now that we have these,” Onyx said, “You did marvelous, Silver! You gave the Guardians the upper hand against The Worshipers of the Old Gods! We can finally be one step ahead of them,” Onyx mused to himself. Silver grinned brightly.

“I’m in,” Silver said after a moment.

“What?” Onyx asked as he detached his gaze from the notes to Silver.

“I’m in, I want to be a Guardian,” Silver said proudly.

“After what we went through, I thought that you would be done,” Onyx said.

“After what we went through made me want to join more. If there really is this kind of evil in Equestria, I want to stop it,” Silver explained, “It’s like I feel the need to do this,”

“All right, I will talk to Marshall and Bluemane. After what you did, though, I doubt they would decline your offer. See me tomorrow at Sugar Cube Corner to hear their answer. Can you find your way back ok?” Onyx asked as he picked up the notes and map. Silver nodded and watched as Onyx left the clearing. Silver sat down for a moment, thinking of what just transpired. He shook his head and laughed.

After a while, he could hear shouts and orders being given. They were searching for him and Onyx. He quickly got to his hooves and plunged into the forest.

Silver stumbled through the underbrush and tree roots. The forest, if it was possible, somehow got darker and stuffier. He could barely see his own hoof in front of his face. When he thought about having to sleep in this forest, another flash of blue appeared and the blue unicorn returned. Silver stepped forward, wanting to ask who she was. She waved her hoof as if saying, “Follow me,” She jumped over a root and led him through the forest. She seemed to glow and light up the area she was in so Silver had no problem following her. She occasionally looked over her shoulder to check and see if Silver was still following. For a reason he did not know, when she looked at him, he smiled. She smiled back and returned to leading him through the forest.

It seemed like a dream to Silver, following this strange and beautiful pony through the Everfree forest. He seemed to float after her and watch her every movement. When she caught him staring at her, he looked away, embarrassed. She would giggle, but as if she was far away instead of right in front of him. She nimbly jumped over a root and opened so branches with her magic. Silver could spot the lights of Ponyville in the distance. Silver stopped right beside her.

“Who are you?” he asked as if enchanted.

“Somepony who will lead you through darkness and help you in your troubles. You will never be truly alone when you need friendship the most,” she answered back.

“What’s your name?” Silver asked. She seemed to not want to answer.

“You can call me Sapphire,” she said after a few moments. The memory he felt rise up while he touched the knife earlier seemed to try to rise again. All he could remember though was loud explosions, ponies shouting, and sadness. Before Silver could say anything, she disappeared right before his eyes. Instead of feeling loneliness, he felt something wholesome watching over him. After that and for some years to come, that feeling never left him.

Silver stumbled into Ponyville. The ponies were all going home from whatever kept them busy throughout the day. Silver saw Applejack helping her sister pack up the booth. It seemed they managed to sell most of the apples that had been delivered to the stand. Applejack looked up and saw him.

“Silver!” she shouted and ran over to him, “What in tarnation happened after you and that unicorn ran into the Everfree forest?” she asked, concerned. Silver then proceeded to tell her all that happened. Applebloom listened as well. Her eyes grew big and there was wonder on her face.

“Wow!” she shouted after he finished, “You really did all that? That sounded exciting!”

“Actually, it was really scary,” Silver admitted.

“And your decision to join the Guardians?” Applejack asked.

“I’m still going to join. I feel it’s my calling and that I should seize this opportunity,” Silver explained. Applejack shook her head and sighed. Silver helped them pack up the rest of the stand and carried some stuff back to the barn. After everything had been put away, Silver crawled into his bed and, after the excitement of the day, he fell asleep almost immediately.

“Sapphire!” Silver greeted excitedly. She bounded over to him and tackled him in a hug. Silver hugged her back fiercely. “I never thought I would see you again!” he cried.

“I told you I would come back, silly foal,” Sapphire replied.

“But your team was trapped in the quarry and was surrounded. How did you escape?” Silver asked.

“Just remember that I will never leave you,” Sapphire said kindly, “You are still so much like that little colt in school that was picked on by those bullies. He relied so much on my help that I became his guardian angel,”

“Remember who got you into the Guardians in the first place,” Silver joked.

“Only because I still needed to protect you,” Sapphire explained. Tears stung Silver’s eyes as he hugged her again. His golden armor clanged against Sapphire’s.

“I love you, so much,” Silver said softly.