• Published 22nd Sep 2016
  • 5,329 Views, 305 Comments

My Little Engineer - Soren Mercer



A space explorer, crossing the known spances of the universe comes across an unregistered planet out in deep space. What happens when he's forced to co-operate with a new species to not only save his life, but the entire species?

  • ...
26
 305
 5,329

Casual Reunion


Date: 02/04/2406 14:06


The pair of Alicorn Princesses, Luna and Celestia, glided upwards towards the peak of the highest of the Smoky Mountains via upward drafts originating from the small town below with an escort of twelve various pegasi. Luna hung back behind her sister, wondering just what her sister was talking about in regards to when Celestia had suggested that they both go and visit the suit. She had to admit, Luna hadn’t even thought to check the top of the mountain and as the group rose higher, so did her feelings of inadequacy and short-sightedness.

“Is he really up here?” Luna shouted up to her sister with a look of morbid curiosity on her face.

“I’m surprised Luna,” Celestia held back a bit to glide alongside her sister. “If you do indeed harbour an infatuation with the Pilot, I would have thought you had already found him by now and without my help.”

“That doesn’t really answer my question, sister.” Luna frowned in reply but kept pace regardless.

“Yes, he’s up here. Last I saw, anyways.” Celestia nodded back affirmatively as the sound of an extremely high pitched scream began to invade the ear canals of everypony in the air, the sound sending chills down the spines of ponies and alicorns alike.

“What is he doing up here, and what is that sound?” Luna shouted back as her head swiveled around to find the source of the audible irritation. Her answer came in the form of passing through the cloud layer that defiantly remained around the peak of the mountain, resisting the efforts of the pegasi to be cleared away.

Built into the top of the mountain, the top peak of it having been scraped away to form a neat plateau, was a massive four legged metal beast with a bright yellow and blue beam of light being fired into the mountain below from under the metal monstrosity. On the torso of the metal beast, the flattest horizontal portion of it, sat the Wyvern next to a small metal shack which in turn sat next to an overbearing production facility set up.

“What is all this?” Luna furrowed her brows before her eyes settled in on a solitary bipedal figure roaming around the deck of the structure, moving from a cargo container to an unfinished project that stuck out from the side of the mountain like a massive sore thumb.

“It seems that late last night, the Suit disassembled all his property to bring it up here and build that basic laser mining platform that’s been mining straight down into the mountain. It’s not only collecting the resources that we can’t get to and also going to provide a clear shot down to the trapped miners below.” Celestia explained as she motioned for the escort ponies to head back down to quell the riots below.

Once the alicorns were alone in the air and watching the suit build his unremarkably rectangular frame, “He’s doing all this to save us? He tore down his belongings to use the resources to continue mining?” Luna gasped with glee, a tear threatening to run from her eye.

“Indeed, he hasn’t slept since he started.” Celestia nodded back.

“I will have his babies.” Luna announced before taking off towards the suit. Celestia’s eyes widened at the sudden announcement and nearly skipped a beat of her wings. Luna turned around and glided on her back with a massive smile, “I’m only joking, Tia!” before she flew off against cackling away to herself.

Celestia, catching herself and returning to her sister’s side mumbled, “I’m not so sure even you believe that to be a joke, Lulu.”

“Time will only tell.” Luna grinned and with a hearty flap of the wings, tore off through the air towards the mining platform as quickly as her wings could carry her.

Getting close enough to be able to do so over the sound of the mining laser, Luna screamed out with mischief, “Pilot!” The suit turned towards the new sound just as Luna collided with him, bowling the both of them over and to the ground. Celestia came in for a landing as Luna remained sprawled out on the pilot’s body, the pair simply staring at each other through the helmet and safety plate of the Pilot’s suit.

“Hello, Celestia.” The suit’s female griffon voice welcomed the older alicorn before he turned to the smaller.

“Hi.” Luna beat the suit to the punch with a simple squeak of the voice and a massive smile on her face. “Miss me?”

“I was planning to come back down today, make sure everyone was alright and explain what I was doing what the hell up here.” The suit replied gradually. His head turned between the pair of princesses in silence for a few moments. “Could you get off me? I’ve got a lot of work to do.”

“Nope, i’m staying right here and you’re staying with me.” Luna shook her head defiantly and shifted around a bit to get settled in for the cuddling. Even with the similar body sizes, Celestia could hardly tell that there was a figure under Luna’s furry body -never mind what her weight was doing to his exo-frame.

“Come now Luna, let the human up and get back to work!” Celestia urged her sister to get up with a nudge of her head against her sister’s side, making Luna squeal and inch away from the bare tickling.

“No! I’m not letting go!” Luna pouted resistively and wrapped all four legs around the male's body as best she could considering the position they were both in.

“Can’t we talk about this later? I’ve got a reactor half finished and is already threatening to go critical if I don’t seal it up!” the suit announced while squirming around under Luna who, upon hearing this information, leapt up let the suit roll over onto his back and launch from his position with a welder in hand towards a massive black and red half-cylinder.

“You really need to speak to him about how you feel.” Celestia stood next to her sister who remained curled up on the cold metal ground watching the ass of the Pilot as he sprinted towards the reactor.

“I like to believe that i’ve made my feelings clear with that display.” Luna remarked as her head tilted a bit to the side and her wings threatened to spring outwards. “If he really does require more indications, then he is as thick-headed as the rest of the males of this planet.”

“Well, considering that his mind was mostly on the broken reactor instead of on you, I suspect he may require more firm notifications.” Celestia remarked while the Suit zipped up on top of the reactor via Jetpack to weld something. The welding completed and the reactor turned from red bands around its mid section to a welcoming green. At the same time, below, the laser’s screaming turned itself up in volume as it’s power requirements were finally met and the drill was able to finally hit the full length of it’s reach. Fortunately, the mining platform served to reflect most of the noise away from everything above so the screaming was still no more annoying that a small insect flying around one’s ears.

The suit jumped off the reactor, landing with a heavy thud before standing and hooking the welder to his hip. Luna and Celestia both gasped and nearly bowled him over in attempts to save himself when he reached up and removed his helmet fully to set that on a separate hook on his belt.

“What are you doing? You’ll poison yourself!” Luna screamed as she galloped hard to try and place the helmet back over the man’s head.

“Nah,” the suit replied, still being translated, and held up a hand to stop the princess’s advance on him. “The air up here is just thin enough that the xenon content up here isn’t hazardous to me. It’s also just thick enough that I’m not going to suffocate.” he added the last bit as a second thought at the silent approach of a retort from Celestia. “Now then, shall we head inside? It’s fucking cold up here.” the suit offered, turning towards the shack off to the mare’s right.

Following the suit through the airlock, both Celestia and Luna noted that there was no change in air quality for them, just that it was much more pleasantly warm in the room.

It took the Pilot changing out of his suit for the mare’s to notice that he no longer had his exo-suit on in the first place and was set into a pile in the corner nearby to the door out of the place, unused. As soon as the suit pulled the top portion of his suit off, his undershirt trailing after him, did a pair of blue wings suddenly shoot outwards and smack the eldest sister in the face.

Recovering and spitting out a couple stray feathers, Celestia turned to grin at her sister, noticing the ting of red on her face while she fought to reign her wings under control with her hooves. Needless to say, those wings didn’t surrender.

“So, to what do I owe the pleasure?” The suit began as he stepped out of the bottom half of his suit and tossed both portions to the door next to the exo-suit. He then collapsed down on a dark green couch, similar to the one that had been in his hovel.

Luna remained silent and instead followed after the man, hopping up onto the couch and placing her head affectionately in his lap as she laid down while the white alicorn sat down on a second couch across from them both.

“Luna was getting lonesome and was fearful you’d left the planet to it’s fate.” Celestia announced all at once. “I brought her up here so you could make her feel better.”

“And… just how do you expect me to do that?” the pilot raised an eyebrow first at the content moon princess before turning it to the sun princess.

“A wing massage would be great. They are so stiff after flying up this high.” Luna announced and unfolded her free wing forward so that the human could get at it. The Pilot merely looked at the wing in confusion, completely clueless about how to massage a wing. As far as he was concerned, it was all mostly bone and had nearly no muscle to massage; aside from the main tendon along the front of the wing, that is.

“I… don’t really know how.” the pilot admitted, making Luna chuckle before beginning to give instructions on how to massage a wing.

~*~*~

Four hours divided into four wings later, both Princesses were sprawled out on both couches asleep from their wing massages. I stepped into my room and shut the door as quietly as I could, which wasn’t saying much since the door was still of the automated mechanical variety, before sliding into my desk chair to start pulling up files.

“What’s she doing here?” Vinyl demanded with a digital twinge of a sneer in her voice. “I thought I made myself clear that she couldn’t come back.”

“Yes, that may be so, however it is still their planet and they are free to do as they wish; go where they will. I’m nothing more than borrowing land during our temporary stay here.” I remarked and reclined on my seat, tipping the chair backwards to balance it on it’s rear legs.

“I still don’t like it. She’s getting too ‘buddy-buddy’ with you. You’re my pilot, i’m your VI and there is no room for her.” Vinyl sighed to herself from the computer speakers before going silent. “So, are you any closer to being able to save us both from the Intergalactic Police?”

“Well, it’s been a good couple months that they would’ve had to find you in the first place. I don’t want to jinx myself in saying this, but I don’t know if they’re coming at all.” I shrugged back with arms crossed over my chest and my feet up on the console. “And besides, you’re not a VI anymore, you’re a fully fledged AI now.”

“Right, right. AI, not VI. Still trying to get used to that… Never mind that i’m having issues with all these new… thoughts and… opinions…” Vinyl replied, sounding confused and concerned. “Hey, I was wondering something.”

“Sounds about right,” I mumbled back but returned to the console. “What’re you wondering about?”

“If they, the IP I mean, aren’t coming, could you build me a body that I could walk around and interact with the natives of this planet with? Avoiding the blue one completely, that is.”

“Considering I’m not a bio-engineer, I wouldn’t could your bytes on that. If you could find me some existing blueprints and a parts list, then I can fabricate something but don’t expect me to be able to actually design and build something.” I let my head lol backwards and stared at the door upside down.

“You know, it’s funny you should mention that, actually.” Vinyl replied after a moment of digital beeps. “When you had that antenna and had that internet connection, I went ahead and downloaded blueprints for a robot pet body that New Earth humans are fond of having around. All I’d have to do is delete the existing pet program and upload myself into it. It’ll be perfect!” Vinyl announced before bringing up pictures of the sales brochure for the toy. It in itself was as large as the default ponies of this world, just bald and steel grey.

“You’ve been busy in these last few days, haven’t you?” I smirked and looked over the designs, trying to mentally map out the workings and how to put it all together. The sound of childish gigglings greeted me in lieu of spoken word. “Fine, find me some blueprints for this thing and I’ll see what I can do about it.”

“Yes!” Vinyl cheered to herself before getting herself busy while I moved to the media portion of the computer database.

“You know,” I began after selecting a movie at random and setting it to play. “You are going to have to get used to Luna being around. Try as you might, she doesn’t seem the type to be easily swayed by empty hauntings or threats.”

“So, all you have to do is tell her to stay away. It’s that easy.”

“But what if I don’t want her to stay away?” I felt the invisible eyes of Vinyl narrow and glare at me.

“Why wouldn’t you want that? You’ve already got me, we don’t need her around. It’s not like you actually like having her around, right?” the voice of the AI sounded critical and demanding, as though she was daring me to disagree with her.

I accepted her dare. “What if I do like having her around? She’s been with me for the last couple months now, helping to build everything we need to get off planet and back into charted space. I already know she fancies me, so there’s no changing that.”

“Don’t you dare say that you fancy her in return! She’s not even human! She’s a fucking horse!” Vinyl screamed before disabling her audio receivers and otherwise going silent to work on her own thing in the background.

“And you’re a digital entity. What hope do you think you have?” I retaliated to empty space. I resumed my random movie selection and shut off the lights before rolling onto my bed to watch the film. Something had to be done about Vinyl’s hate for Luna…

Maybe some marriage counselling…