• Published 17th Sep 2016
  • 4,443 Views, 72 Comments

Shadows and Rainbows - Fullmetal_Pony



Sombra and Rainbow Dash took over the Crystal Empire, Equestria now finds itself at war. Then after the first major battle Sombra makes an unexpected move, a peace treaty. But what will it mean for the future of both nations.

  • ...
6
 72
 4,443

Chapter 1

“WAR!” yelled a unicorn guard as he galloped through the streets of Canterlot using his magic to amplify his voice. “EQUESTRIA IS AT WAR! A STATE OF EMERGENCY HAS BEEN DECLARED AND A DRAFT IS IN EFFECT! ALL ABLE BODY PONIES ARE HEREBY REQUESTED TO ENLIST! DEFEND YOUR NATION!”

It was the same in every city and town as word quickly spread. Many enlisted and many more were drafted. Many had never touched a weapon. Many had no business using one. For a land that’s been known for peace and harmony for centuries, war was a foreign concept, and unfortunately they were on their own. They did have alliances with the Griffon and Dragon Kingdoms but after the two went to war with each other awhile back and Equestria refused to take a side it fell apart. The Zebra Tribes lacked a traditional army, the Diamond Dog Kingdom was hopeless, and the Minotaur Kingdom along with Saddle Arabia and Maretonia simply refused to be dragged into a conflict.


(Earlier)

“Sooo, now that the Crystal Empire is ours what do we do first?”

“The first thing I want to do is spend a little quality time with you.”

“Are you sure we have time?”

“It will be at least a day before the others make it back to Canterlot and I just put up a shield to keep the Crystal Ponies from leaving. We can afford a little time to ourselves.”

“Well what did you have in mind?”

“Oh there’s one thing I’ve been wanting to do.”

Sombra went over and started to nibble on her ear. Rainbow had a pretty good idea of where his was heading.


Sombra and Dash were lying in bed together under the sheets cuddled up close from having just made love for the first time.

“That was incredible. How about you?”

“That was so awesome.”

“Was it worth the wait?”

“Definitely.”

A few minutes passed by and then Sombra stretched. “As much as I would like to continue lying here next to you I’m afraid our spare time has run out and we must start making preparations.”

Rainbow let out a sigh. “Ok.”

“Follow me.”

Sombra led her down a staircase that went to an area under the palace. After a minute they came upon a door, Sombra hit the crystal above it with a blast of dark magic and it opened. Inside were rows and rows of suites of armor and weapons.

“Wow!”

“As you can see I already started. I was planning on invading Equestria a thousand years ago but the princesses got to me first. There is enough here to arm almost every Crystal Pony age sixteen and up. The armor is enchanted so that the wearer will become a mindless drone, fully obedient, they’ll be able to endure excruciating pain, know advanced combat, and they will not fear the enemy nor will their morale or resolve weaken. Of course there will need to be officers to direct the troops in battle and they’ll have different armor.”

“Cool. What next?”

“We must start outfitting our troops immediately before Equestria can muster their own. We must be the ones to strike first. In the meantime I’ll get to work on your own armor and regalia in preparation for your coronation.”


(Present)

The castle ball room was quickly converted into a war room where the princesses, Shining, and the element bearers discussed what to do next.

“Stalliongrad is the closes city we have to the Crystal Empire and the most likely to be attacked first. We need to ensure it’s defended so we can use it as a staging area to launch an attack of our own,” said Shining.

“Very well we shall send troops and aid immediately,” said Luna.

“Princess is there anything we can do?”

“I’m sorry Twilight but without Rainbow Dash there is little you and your friends can do. You’re better off staying out of this and returning to Ponyville,” said Celestia.

“There must be something we can do?”

“Princess I hereby volunteer to enlist.”

“That’s very noble of you Applejack but it’s a no. We've already lost Rainbow Dash to Sombra, if any of you were to die in battle then the situation would only get worse. You’re all welcome to stay in the castle and I’ll let you know if there is anything any of you can do to help.”


“Rise my queen.”

Rainbow stood up from having just been crowned. She had her own armor (although hers was more streamline and aerodynamic so as not to hinder her flying) and regalia with the same cape as Sombra’s but a different crown. It had been three days since Sombra and Dash took over the Crystal Empire and the city was once again covered in obsidian crystal, and their army was assembled. Two thousand ponies decked out in enchanted armor stood at the ready and an additional hundred (in regular armor of the same color scheme) were officers of varying rank from the old crystal guard who were loyal to Sombra and allowed to keep their freewill.

“Are we ready now?”

“Yes we must rally our forces. We march now!”


Celestia, Luna, and Cadence ran into the war room after Shining called an emergency meeting.

“Shining is everything alright? What happened?” said Cadence.

“I just received word from our northern scouts, and they report that Sombra and Dash are marching south with an army of at least two thousand.”

“Impossible! How could they muster that many without mobilizing almost their entire populace, and if they did then there is no way they could have trained them to fight so quickly,” said Luna.

“I don’t know how they did it only that they did. We’ve only just started to build up Stalliongrad’s defenses and the troops we sent are insufficient to protect it against such a large force. I’m afraid the city will fall before we can respond.”

“Damn! We must prepare a counter offensive at once.”

“Already in the works. Between the solar guard, lunar guard, and the reserves we’ll have enough troops to match their numbers. Unfortunately most of our new recruits haven’t even started basic training yet so we can’t use them.”

“We’ll just have to make do with what we have. A good number of our troops still have the advantage of flight or magic, and that might be all we need,” said Celestia.

“Then we must leave immediately.”


The battle of Stalliongrad was hardly even a battle at all. There were only three hundred royal guards stationed at the city and most of them fought to the death, the others fled. The city was set upon so fast that they didn’t have time to evacuate the civilians and now they were at the king and queen’s mercy. The Crystal Empire’s forces marched through the streets while singing like a choir.

HAIL KING SOMBRA!
HAIL QUEEN RAINBOW DASH!
GLORY TO THE CRYSTAL EMPIRE!
YOUR NEW NATIVE LAND!

Sombra and Dash stood outside city hall watching the troops march by.

“So what’s the next stage of your master plan?”

“We wait. We’ve already dealt the first blow by seizing Equestrian territory. They will have no choice but to face us with whatever forces they can scrape together or else we will continue to ravage the north.”

“Then I hope they get here sooner than later.”

“Patience Dash. They’ll get here soon enough, and when they do the real fight begins.”