• Published 26th Jun 2012
  • 5,737 Views, 243 Comments

The Walls Came Tumbling Down - Dianwei32



Fluttershy Overcomes her Fears with Rainbow Dash's help

  • ...
10
 243
 5,737

Once More Unto the Breach

The Walls Came Tumbling Down

Chapter Eight

Once More Unto the Breach

Fluttershy stood in front of the mirror in her bathroom, going over her appearance for the fourth time. Through the open windows she could faintly hear the Ponyville clock tower chime seven o’clock. Alright, Dash should be here any minute. She reminded herself. How does my mane look? It looks like it always does... is that okay? She ran a critical eye over her light pink mane. Should I style it for tonight? Do I have time? Oh Celestia, I have no idea what I’m doing.

Does Dash have any idea what she’s getting herself into with you? Her mind broke in. You sound like Rarity, and you know how much Rainbow hates all of that girly stuff.

Fluttershy dropped her head to rest on the sink. I know, but this is my, our, first real... date. Heat flooded her face as she thought about the reality of the situation. Rainbow asked me out... I still can’t believe it. A huge, dopey grin spread across her face even as her cheeks darkened to a crimson hue.

Oh yes, a date. The voice in her head sneered. Now little miss hates-the-spotlight will be walking down the street hoof in hoof with another mare.

No. I’m not going to let you ruin this. Fluttershy picked her head up off the sink and trotted out of the bathroom. You’ve tormented me for years about my feelings for Dash, even before I knew I had them. We’re just going to have a nice, quiet dinner and you’re going to keep your big mouth shut.

Ooh... where is this new-found confidence coming from? Her mind quipped. I’m sure Rainbow Dash will love seeing this new side to you... especially after you two get back from dinner.

Despite her best efforts, the thought lodged itself in Fluttershy’s mind. Oh no... what if Dash expects something to happen tonight? She unconsciously began pacing around her living room. That seems too fast... but then again Dash is all about speed. Oh no oh no oh no.

A sharp trio of knocks at the door jolted Fluttershy out of her nervous pacing. She trotted over to the door and took a deep breath to calm her nerves. She pulled the door open and found Rainbow Dash standing outside, she was tracing her hoof in the dirt and had something hidden behind her back.

“Hey ‘Shy.” Dash looked up from her drawing in the dirt. “I... I brought ya something.” She pulled her hoof out from behind her back and revealed a bouquet of white lilies.

“Oh, Dashie!” Fluttershy took the bouquet and deeply inhaled the fresh scent of the flowers. “Lilies are my favorite. How did you know?”

“Just a lucky guess I suppose.” Dash picked up a hoof and scratched at the back of her neck.

Fluttershy gave her a skeptical look. “A lucky guess, huh?” Rainbow shuffled her feet nervously before finally letting out a small sigh.

“Alright, ya got me. I stopped by Rarity’s on the way here and asked her what I should get. On a side note, I’m never doing that again.” Dash rolled her eyes. “Rarity practically tied me down to try and get me all dressed up for tonight.”

Fluttershy could not help but giggle at the mental image of Rarity trying to put Dash in a dress. “Well, it was a very sweet gesture.” She looked down to admire the flowers again, but something caught her eye. “Hold on, it looks like there’s an empty stem in here.” She reached up and pulled a single bare stem from the bunch.

“Oh, yea.” Dash resumed tracing a pattern in the dirt, unable to meet Fluttershy’s gaze. “Ya see, I was kind of... nervous about tonight all day and I skipped lunch. On my way over here, I was so hungry I kind of... ate one of your flowers. Sorry.”

“That’s perfectly fine, Dash.” Fluttershy licked her lips as she eyed a particularly delicious looking lily. “I wouldn’t want to eat all of these myself anyway. It would spoil my appetite for dinner.” She leaned down and bit off the flower, relishing the smooth texture and slightly sweet flavor. She swallowed and continued. “Speaking of dinner, where are we going?”

A mischievous smile spread across Dash’s face. “Oh don’t worry, ‘Shy. It’s gonna be awesome. The Wonderbolts are doin’ a meet-and-greet at The Greasy Trough, and I scored us seats!”

“Oh...” Fluttershy dropped her head a little bit. “That sounds... nice.” She absentmindedly bit off another flower from the bunch.

“I’m just messin’ with ya, ‘Shy.” Dash reached over and gave Fluttershy a light punch on the shoulder. “Give me a little credit. I may not be good at all the mushy romantic stuff, but I still know how to show my marefriend a good time.”

So, we’re a “marefriend” now, are we?

Fluttershy bit her lip to suppress a squeal of glee. She instinctively hid behind her mane s her face flushed a deep crimson. “Y-your... marefriend?”

Dash’s eyes shot open as her normally cocky demeanor was replaced by a look of sheer terror. “My... did I just say that out loud?” She appeared to be on the verge of running away again before she simply shrugged. “Ah, to hay with it. Fluttershy, would you like to be my marefriend?”

This time Fluttershy was unable to stop the squeal of glee from escaping. She quickly regained her calm composure. “Dash, nothing would make me happier than to have you as my marefriend.”

“Oh... nothing?” Rainbow waggled her eyebrows.

Oh, she’s good.

If it were possible, Fluttershy’s blush deepened and she immediately began drilling holes into the ground with her eyes. The thought from earlier resurfaced. Oh no, she does expect something to happen tonight.

Dash merely chuckled. “Ya know, you’re really cute when you’re flustered ‘Shy.” She leaned over and gave Fluttershy a quick kiss on the cheek before turning to trot down the road. “Come on, I figured we could grab a bite at the Cantering Café.”

The couple made their way down the meandering road from Fluttershy’s cottage to Ponyville. Celestia’s sun inched its way towards the horizon, and bathed the sky in brilliant shades of red and orange. After several minutes, they arrived at the café in question and chose to sit inside. They requested a table near a west-facing window to enjoy the sunset. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were looking over the menu when the latter felt the soft caress of a hoof traveling up her hind leg.

“Dash! We’re in public!” Fluttershy chided, drawing a chuckle from the other pegasus.

“Relax, ‘Shy.” Rainbow waved a hoof airily. “There’s a reason I wanted to sit inside. Tablecloths.” She grabbed a portion of the linen cloth draped over the table that fell all the way to the floor and held it up. “That way no one can see what goes on under the table.” She bounced her eyebrows.

“Oh...” Fluttershy’s cheeks burned red and she buried her snout in the menu. She felt as though something were missing. It took her a moment to realize that her internal dialogue had yet to make an appearance at the café.

Don’t worry, I’m still here. As if on cue, the voice cut into Fluttershy’s thoughts. It’s just much more fun to watch you get flustered all by yourself.

Fluttershy let out an inaudible sigh and cursed herself silently. Well, I’ll gladly sit here and be flustered if it keeps you quiet.

Dash finally noticed her marefriend’s silence and reached up to pull down the menu she was studying so intently. “Hey, sorry ‘bout that. I...” She paused, weighing her words. “I just tend to move kinda... fast. Let me know if I try and do anything you’re not comfortable with. I really want this to work and I don’t want to risk losing you because I tried to move too quickly.” Rainbow grabbed Fluttershy’s hoof and held it between her own.

Darn, and we were having such fun.

Fluttershy ignored the intrusive thought and felt a warmth spread through her chest. “Thanks, Dashie. That really means a lot to me.” She dropped her eyes and continued. “I want this to work too. It’s just that... I’m scared of what everypony will think if they see us together. I don’t want to go through Flight School all over again.” Tears pooled in her eyes as she finished.

“Are you messin’ with me, ‘Shy?” Dash raised a quizzical eyebrow. “Lyra and Bon Bon have been together for what... years now? Nopony gives them any grief about it.” She turned and a smirk played across her face. “Not to mention, they’ve been sitting over there since we came in trying to see who can get their tongue further down the other’s throat.”

Fluttershy turned and followed Dash’s gaze to a booth in the corner of the café. Despite the glow of the setting sun, the booth was shrouded in darkness, no doubt an effect of Lyra’s magic. Even through the artificial shadows, it was easy to make out the forms of the two mares in question, who were kissing with a surprising vigor. Fluttershy turned back to stare at her menu, her cheeks flushed a deep crimson.

“See?” Dash turned back. “If ponies can put up with something like that, I don’t think they’ll mind a little hoofsies under the table.”

Their conversation was interrupted by their waiter arriving to take their order. Fluttershy ordered a daisy and tulip salad while Dash got an oat burger with hay fries. The couple sat in easy silence for the meal, and occasionally traded bashful smiles and glances. Partway through the meal, Fluttershy worked up her courage and ran one of her hind hooves up Dash’s leg, returning the favor from earlier. Rainbow, who had a mouthful of hay fries, jumped at the unexpected contact and started coughing as her food traveled down the wrong pipe.

“You’ll pay for that.” Dash smiled after she recovered from her coughing fit.

“Oh, I hope so.” Fluttershy winked at Rainbow, whose mouth fell open slightly.

Whoa whoa whoa... when did you learn to be smooth? The voice in her head sounded genuinely surprised.

I... I don’t know, but that was fun. Fluttershy giggled at Dash’s stunned reaction. “What’s the matter Dashie? You can dish it out but you can’t take it?” She gave Rainbow her best attempt at a seductive gaze.

Okay, who are you and what have you done with Fluttershy?

“Wow.” Dash finally recovered enough to speak, but not before her cheeks flushed a light pink visible through her coat. “Flutters, if I had known you could be this... charming, I would have asked you out years ago.”

After they finished their food, Dash paid the bill and they left the café. Stepping out into the cool evening air, Rainbow wrapped one of her wings around Fluttershy. At first, the canary mare was afraid that the gesture would attract unwanted attention. However, soon the warmth and forced proximity to Dash made her decide she did not care. The pair was walking down the deserted streets of Ponyville when a familiar voice caught their attention.

“Why do ya wanna go that way?” Applebloom’s voice sounded from down the road. “The library’s right there, you’re goin’ the wrong way, AJ.”

Dash and Fluttershy glanced down the road and spotted the three youngest members of the Apple family, Applebloom, Applejack and Big Macintosh. Applejack was trying as hard as she could to push Big Mac down a side street, to no avail. The two mares increased their pace to reach the three earth ponies, Dash never moving her wing from around Fluttershy.

“Hey there guys!” Dash called out. “What brings ya to Ponyville so late in the evening?”

“Well...” Big Mac replied, staring at his sister’s attempt to push him. “We were comin’ down to see Miss Twilight ‘bout-” His words cut off as he looked up to see Dash with her wing around Fluttershy. Mac’s eyes narrowed slightly. He cleared his throat and continued. “It don’t much matter. Come on Applebloom, ya don’t need to be seein’ this.”

“Seein’ what?” Applebloom asked. “It’s just Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy... I see ‘em all the time.”

“True enough.” Mac sneered. “Up until now, we didn’t know they was fillyfoolers though.”

“Filly-what now?” The small filly cocked her to the side. Applejack finally gave up on her attempts to move her brother and sighed.

“Never you mind Mac, AB.” Applejack waved her sister off. “You run on ahead and see if Twilight’s got that book on seeds that grow in cold weather.” Applebloom started to protest, but her sister cut across her. “Now, please.” The small filly walked off in the direction of the library, grumbling.

“What’s goin’ on here, Mac?” Dash spoke up, a slight edge to her voice. “Ya got a problem with me and ‘Shy bein’ together?”

“Eeyup.” Mac replied in his slow drawl. “It ain’t natural, two mares together. If you two are gonna be that way, Ah would appreciate it if y’all would stay away from Applebloom.” He snorted angrily. “We don’t need ya fillin’ her head with improper ideas.”

“Now, hold on a sec, Mac.” Applejack moved to stand between Big Mac, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. “These are two o’ mah best friends. If bein’ together makes ‘em happy, then Ah don’t see how it’s anypony’s business to tell ‘em otherwise."

Big Mac raised an eyebrow and gave Applejack a disbelieving look. “Really now? Ah seem to recall just last week ya had some rather choice words for them other fillyfoolers, Lyra and Bon Bon.”

Applejack folded her ears back nervously. “Well... yea... Ah guess Ah did.” She stood up straight, defiance in her stance. “Things change though. Ah been thinkin’ about it and Ah don’t see any reason why two mares who love each other shouldn’t be allowed to be together.”

“Hmph.” Mac snorted. “Ah wonder AJ, what brought about this here change o’ heart? What changed to make ya suddenly feel this way?”

“What changed?” Anger began to creep into Applejack’s voice. “What changed? Ah’ll tell ya what changed. One o’ mah best friends tried to kill herself ‘cause o’ what Ah was sayin’.”

“Applejack...” Fluttershy tried to explain again.

“No, ‘Shy.” Applejack cut across her. “You done told me time and time again that what Ah said to ya had no influence on what happened, but Ah don’t buy it.” She turned back to face Mac. “So ya see, my hate and disgust for fillyfoolers almost cost the life o’ one o’ mah best friends.”

Big Mac stood speechless for several seconds, processing the recent news of Fluttershy’s attempted suicide. Eventually he closed his eyes and sighed. “Ah’m mighty sorry to hear that Miss Fluttershy,” He opened his eyes, a grim determination set on his face. “but Ah have to stand by what Ah believe in. Ah’m sorry, but as long as you and Miss Dash are together, Ah’m gonna have to ask ya to stay away from little Applebloom. Sadly, Ah also have to say that y’all are no longer welcome at Sweet Apple Acres.”

“What in tarnation?” The fury in Applejack’s voice rose. “Ya think you can just ban ‘em from the farm like that? It’s mah farm too, and Ah say they’re still welcome, together or not.”

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash stood nearby, utterly entranced by the scene playing out before them. Applejack and Big Mac were arguing vehemently, and the siblings looked as though they might come to blows at any moment. Fluttershy looked up and down the street they were on, thankful that it was deserted.

“Ya wanna give Granny Smith a heart attack?” Big Mac shot back. “Imagine how she would react to seein’ somethin’ like that at the farm” He gestured towards Dash, who still had her wing wrapped around Fluttershy.

“Why... you... Ah...” Applejack stammered. An idea struck her. “What if it were me?” She asked.

“What are ya sayin’ AJ?” Big Mac narrowed his eyes, his voice menacing.

“What if it were me together with Dash or ‘Shy? What if I was a fillyfooler? Would ya kick me out into the cold?”

“Ma and Pa didn’t raise them no fillyfooler!” Mac shouted, stomping a hoof on the last word.

“They didn’t raise them no liar, neither!” Applejack matched Big Mac’s anger and volume. “Now answer the question. Would ya kick me outta the house if I was with a mare?”

“Course not. You’re family.” Some of Mac’s anger faded, but it reemerged with his next statement. “This is different. They ain’t family.”

The hay they ain’t!” Applejack’s temper finally got the better of her. She stepped up to Big Mac and poked him in the chest with a hoof. “They’re just as much family to me as you and Applebloom are. Ah ain’t gonna sit here and listen to anypony tell ‘em that they don’t deserve to be happy. Not even you, Mac.”

Big Mac took a step back from his sister. “Ah’m goin’ back to the farm before somepony says somethin’ they’ll regret.” He turned and began walking back in the direction of Sweet Apple Acres. He called back over his shoulder. “Be sure and get that book from Miss Twilight and bring Applebloom home.”

“Ah think somepony’s already said a few things he’ll regret.” Applejack muttered to herself. She hung her head and sighed. “Ah’m a might sorry y’all had to see that.” She turned back to face Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. The latter had tears streaming down her face and was on the verge of openly crying.

“Fluttershy? Ya alright?” Applejack took a tentative step towards the couple. Fluttershy galloped forward and threw her forehooves around the farm pony’s neck, pulling her into a tight hug.

“Thank you,” Fluttershy whispered, her voice breaking. “Thank you so much, AJ.” Her emotions overwhelmed her and she sobbed softly into Applejack’s mane.

“Um... yer welcome?” Applejack cast a curious glance towards Dash.

“We were tormented relentlessly at Flight School because everypony thought we were... together back then.” Dash explained as a smile pulled at her lips. “It’s just nice to have somepony finally stick up for us.”

“Well, shoot.” Applejack stroked Fluttershy’s mane as she calmed down. “Yer makin’ it sound like Ah did somethin’ special. All Ah did was what Ah do best, be honest and tell the truth. If’n you two are happy together, Ah don’t see how it’s anypony’s business to tell ya that it’s wrong.”

“Ah... nng... got... hmph... the book.” Applebloom arrived from the library wearing a saddlebag several sizes too big for her loaded with a book almost as large as she was. “Where’s Big Mac?”

Applejack pulled away from Fluttershy, who had calmed significantly. “He went on home already. Come on, we need to be gettin’ back too.” She took the saddlebag from Applebloom and threw it over her back. She turned back to Dash. “You two enjoy your... night out.” Applejack winked and headed down the road to the farm with her sister. The couple watched them walk down the road until they rounded a corner.

“So, what do ya wanna do now ‘Shy?” Dash trotted over to her marefriend.

Fluttershy sniffed, still emotional from the argument. “Honestly, I just want to go home. Dinner was lovely, and that...” She gestured in the direction Applebloom and Applejack had departed in. “that was...” Tears welled up in her eyes again.

“I know.” Dash reached up and laid a hoof on Fluttershy’s shoulder. “Let’s go home.” Rainbow wrapped her wing around Fluttershy again and the couple made their way back to the cottage near the Everfree Forest. Along the way, the sun finally fell below the horizon, revealing Luna’s moon and stars. The heavens lacked any clouds, allowing the pegasi to observe full grandeur of the lunar princess’ night sky.

“So, this was a lot of fun.” Dash spoke up as they reached the door to the cottage.

“It was.” Fluttershy pawed at the dirt nervously. She wanted to invite Rainbow inside, but on the other hoof, they had agreed to take things slowly.

Here’s the Fluttershy we all know and love, indecisive and scared. Her internal dialogue returned.

No, I’m not going to be scared anymore. Not with Dashie. Fluttershy stopped pawing at the dirt and looked up at Dash. The hunger from before returned, stronger than before. “Do... do you want to come in for a bit?” Fluttershy gave Rainbow her best flirtatious look. “It’s still early after all.” She batted her eyelids.

“I... I dunno, ‘Shy.” Dash muttered as her face flushed with color. “I thought we had agreed to take it slow.”

Fluttershy gave a fake exasperated sigh. “Now, don’t tell me the famous Rainbow Dash, fastest flier in all of Equestria, is afraid of a little speed.” She turned towards the door, flicking her tail so the tip of it brushed across Dash’s nose. “I guess I’ll just have to enjoy a nice evening by the fire all by myself.” She threw a smoldering glance over her shoulder as she opened the door.

Okay, seriously, where are you getting all of this? I’m you. I know everything you know, and I don’t know where you’re getting this. The voice in her head had lost its usual condescending tone.

Hush. I’m trying to work my game here. She shot back.

Since when do you have game?

Since tonight, apparently. Fluttershy stepped into her living room and called back to Dash. “Besides, don’t I still have to pay for what happened at dinner?”

“I... you...” Rainbow stood outside faltering in her attempt to form a complete thought. After a moment, she shook her head and trotted in the doorway. “I have to ask, ‘Shy. Did ya get a book from Twilight or somethin’? You are workin’ it tonight. You could teach ‘Seduction 101’ at Canterlot University.”

Fluttershy held her hooves up in mock surrender. “You got me, Dash. I went to the library and checked out How to Seduce Ponies and Get Laid.” She winked at Rainbow before she returned to placing wood in the fireplace and getting the fire going.

And I thought Dash was good at flirting. Her mind quipped. You’re putting her to shame right now.

Rainbow had once again lost her ability for speech and resorted to staring at Fluttershy in shock with her mouth hanging open. Eventually, she managed to work out a single question. “Alright, who are you and what have you done with Fluttershy?”

Finally! Somepony else notices!

Fluttershy ignored the thought and slowly stepped closer to Dash, stopping when their noses were only inches apart. “What’s wrong, Dashie?” She whispered. “Don’t you like the new me?” Before Rainbow could answer, Fluttershy leaned forward and kissed her. She felt something stir in her chest and she pushed forward deeper into the kiss. Dash closed her eyes and focused on the feeling of Fluttershy’s lips on her own.

Fluttershy pulled Rainbow up so that both of them were standing on their hind legs, leaving their forehooves free to roam elsewhere. Dash reached up and ran a hoof through Fluttershy’s mane, drawing a moan from the pegasus. Rainbow tentatively extended her tongue, brushing it along her partner’s closed lips. Fluttershy immediately responded, parting her lips slightly and sending her own tongue to dance with Dash’s.

Slowly, all of Fluttershy’s conscious thought melted away. Nothing mattered to her beyond the cyan pegasus in her hooves. She flared her wings and wrapped them around Dash, pulling her closer. Meanwhile, Fluttershy’s hooves wandered through Dash’s mane and down the edges of her wings, drawing shudders that ran down her spine. Soon she felt Rainbow’s hooves on her chest, lightly but firmly pressing her away. Reluctantly, Fluttershy broke the kiss and leaned back. Both ponies panted lightly with color flooding their faces.

“Hey...” Dash muttered breathlessly. “Not that I’m not really enjoying this, but this seems to be moving a little fast for a first date.” She smiled weakly. “Why don’t we call it a night and we can pick this up next time.”

Every part of Fluttershy’s mind and body screamed at her to just lean back in and keep kissing Dash, but she took a deep breath and gazed deeply into Rainbow’s eyes. “If that’s what you want, it’s fine with me.” She leaned in and planted a quick kiss on Dash’s nose before unfurling her wings and stepping back.

The blush on Dash’s face darkened a shade as she trotted to the door. She pulled on the handle and looked back over her shoulder at Fluttershy. “Ya know, you may never have done this before ‘Shy, but you’re a freakin’ natural at it.” Her confident demeanor faltered for a moment. “I... I’ll see ya tomorrow, okay?”

“I don’t know. We’ll see.” Fluttershy pretended to examine her hoof disinterestedly. She giggled as Dash’s face turned into a look of shock. “I’m just kidding, Dash. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Just when I think I’ve got ya figured out ‘Shy.” Dash shook her head as she stepped out the door. She paused as she was closing it. “I love you, Flutters.”

“I love you too, Dashie.” Fluttershy turned to head up to her bedroom. She doubted she would be able to sleep since her mind was still buzzing with activity. After some time spent tossing and turning in bed, she eventually managed to fall into a sleep filled with rather inappropriate dreams starring a certain prismatic-maned pegasus.