• Published 22nd Sep 2016
  • 2,227 Views, 166 Comments

My little Twily - Bronycommander



A German veteran Of WW1 and WW2 has lost everything. 15 years after the war, he finds a lost unicorn filly

  • ...
3
 166
 2,227

Chapter 6 Memory’s and past

Chapter 6 Memory’s and past

When I opened my eyes, I was transparent. And so was everybody and pony else. I looked around.

“Wait a sec. Is the house of my parents?” I was confused.

“Well, yes, the spell I casted was a memory spell that shows us your life,” Celestia explained.

“Interesting. For born on a farm, your room looks very nice." Jonas looked around. The walls were painted baby blue. He stopped when he saw a crib with a sleeping baby in it. Cadence had a big smile on her face.

“Mr. James, that is you, isn’t it?” I smiled and nodded. Suddenly the baby began to cry. Everypony jumped. A Cat ran in and jumped on the crib so she could see what was wrong. “Meow! Meow!”

“Coming!” a female voice called out. Then an adult woman came in. She had blonde hair and blue eyes just like me. “Shh, Jessie, Mommy is here.” She gently lifted the baby up and rocks him gently and sang the same lullaby I sang for Twilight.

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
How I wonder what you are
Up above the World so High
Like a Diamond in the Sky
When the blazing Sun is gone
When there nothing shines upon
Then you show your little light
Twinkle twinkle all the night
Then the traveler in the dark
Thanks you for your little spark
He could not see which way to go
If you did not twinkle so
When the blazing Sun is gone
When there nothing shines upon
Though I know not what you are
Twinkle twinkle little star

She smiled as the baby was asleep again. “Mommy loves you, Jessie.” She carefully lowered the baby back in the crib. She gave him a kiss on his forehead. “Sweet dreams. Come, Minnie.” Minnie let out a quiet, “Meow” before she followed my mother out of the room. A single tear escaped my eye. Good memories.

“James, was that your mother?” Twilight asked with tears in her eyes.

“Yes and this was our cat Minnie who had deployed a maternal instinct for me. She was always the first one in the room when I cried.”

“What race is she?”

“European Shorthair. Unfortunately, she died a few years after I was born from a disease. She had live longer if it was properly treated. But the medicine was not so far, as it is today.” Everyone even the guards and Princess Celestia a tears in their eyes.

Velvet spoke up, “This reminds me so much when you were born Twilight. The same goes for you, Shining.” Julia and Sarah said the same to their children. “This is a nice memory, but close your eyes and we will visit the next memory,” Celestia spoke softly. We all nodded before we closed our eyes.

As we opened our eyes, we found ourselves in the same room but it was painted sea blue. I saw my younger self reading a book about Germany. I was 8 years old. “Hey big brother, what are you doing?” John entered my room.

He had also blue eyes but brown hair instead of blond.

“Reading. I am so interested in Germany that I want to go there when I’m older. I also want to be a soldier like Dad but a doctor like Mom.” Mom and Dad entered the room. “I can see you have got my friendly, polite and helpful personality but the patriotism of your father,” Mother said.

“I think you should become a Medic James. And you John should become an officer.” My brother was similar to me but he always wanted to be a commander.

“But now time for Dinner.”

“Yes, Sir!” We both saluted.

Shining Armor giggled. “This reminds me when I was younger and dreamed to be a royal guard.”

“Guess we aren’t so different from each other. My brother had the same patriotism but for the USA instead of Germany. He wanted to be a commander. Despite the difference in patriotism, we understood us very well. My father was an officer in the US Army while my mother was a Nurse with German origin. My brother was born two years after me. I was born 1895.” Twilight’s family had their mouths wide open.

“If you were born 1895 how can you still, be so young? Shouldn’t you be to suppose an old man?” Shining Armor was surprised.

“I had an accident that changed my life. I can’t age anymore. It will be explained later.”

“Ok.”
“An Interesting Story. But this is just the beginning. Let’s continue, shall we?” We all smiled.

Age: 18

This was the day when I decided to immigrate to Germany. My Parents and my Brother stood in the doorway while I was standing outside. “I will miss you James. But I respect your choice. Good luck out there,” My father said.

“My little boy grown up.” Mother had tears in her eyes.

“I will miss you too, brother. I have made something for you.” John gave me a pocket watch with a family photo in it.

“That’s very nice from you John. But don’t worry. I will write letters to you.” We did a group hug.

“You care for your family very much,” Velvet said with pride. Everybody else had a smile on with their faces.

“Yes I do. Very much.”
They saw me next when the Great War began. I was enthusiastic just like everybody else. “How can Humans be so enthusiastic about such terrible?” Cadence was shocked.

“Well, I was a young fool. Young and patriotic. The Sarajevo assassination was the reason the war broke out. Before there was a great distrust. After Heir to the throne, Franz Ferdinand was killed; the start of the war was unstoppable.”

Before anybody could say something we were interrupted. “Hang in there! I got you!” a young man in a medic uniform ran through us to help a wounded soldier. I recognized the medic as me.

”Don’t worry, you going to be fine. How can you be so calm with such a wound?” I asked while carried him to the infirmary.

“I have a trick: Count to four, inhale Count to four, exhale,” The soldier responded.

“How’s your name, kid?”

“Just call me James.”

“I’m Hauptmann Fritz. Fritz Schulz.”

“Pleasure.”
I sat him carefully down. As I was about to check his wound, he called out, “Enemy, six o clock!” I turned around.

A France soldier tried to attack us but I quickly drew my Pistol 08 and shot him in the head. “Wow James. You are a good shot. With an aim like that you could be a sniper. James is just your nickname, isn’t it?”

“How did you know?”

“I read about Jesse James. A Friend of mine saw you when you came first into Germany.”

“Ok I admit it, I am German-American.”

“No reason to be embarrassed. I watched you quite some time. I’m impressed that you leave never a comrade behind no matter what. Your name fits you very well. You earn the iron cross for your braveness. I will pass on my recommendations to the Kaiser.”

“Thank you Sir but for now, you should rest before you do anything,” I responded surprised by his action.

“You’re the doctor.”

Velvet shielded Twilights eyes. Still, she tried to peek through it. “How could you do such a cruel thing?!” Velvet asked with a shocked voice.

“It was war. I had to fight. What else I could do?”

What I didn’t expect was that Twilight spoke up, “It’s ok Mom. He was a medic. He did only defend himself. Medics are protected by the Geneva Conventions. Medics must not be attacked. It’s against the law which the blue soldier broke.”

“You learned much about the human world I see." Princess Celestia was proud of her. I was still worried about Twilight that she was shocked when I shot the French. She showed no sight of it however.

“Twilight, I’m sorry that you have to see that.”

“As I said before it is ok. It was not good what you did but it was self-defense, so it is understandable. Besides ,I looked away.”

I let out a sigh of relief.

“Achtung!” called someone out. I and my comrades stood at attention. A car drove by. It was Kaiser Wilhelm II. “Is this Kaiser Wilhelm?” Paul asked curious.

“Yes it is. He was visiting the front and he gave me and some other soldiers the iron cross. For me, it was an Honor to get an award from such a Royalty. And I am proud of it. I will never forget such a proud moment like this”. I had proud in my voice. “Soldier Günther.” The Kaiser gave me the cross then walked the next soldier. Hauptmann Schultz” The Kaiser gave him a cross too. The last one was Hoffmann. One of my best friends I knew in the war. “Soldier Hoffmann.” The officer of our company said. Kaiser Wilhelm did a morale speech before he left.

“Wow impressive. This must be a great day for you. Getting an award from the Kaiser personally must be exciting.” Shining Armor was impressed.

“Yes it was. The Iron cross was given to soldiers with great braveness, which I showed when I helped injured Soldiers. I had great respect for the Kaiser and the commanders. This is also the reason why I’m so respectful towards Princess Celestia and Cadence.” Cadence blushed.

“From your experience, I can understand why you are so respectful towards me and my niece, but you don’t need to,” Celestia spoke in a friendly tone. “I was also respected for my actions. After that I served as a Sniper.”

The Memory changed to the time when I was a sniper. A young recruit was standing next to me and was very nervous. “Sir I think, I getting sick. This is normal?” He asked.

“Don’t worry, I know a trick: Count to four, inhale, count, to four, exhale.” He was doing it as I told him.

“Thanks Sir, I’m much calmer now.”

“Anytime kid. Now watch.” I aimed down the scope of my rifle and did the trick Schultz, told me to have a steady aim. I hit one French Soldier, operated the bolt, shot a British Soldier and just barely another but hit him still. “Lucky shot. Still counts. But Skill always beats luck.”

“Wow you barely miss, how can you be so a skilled sniper?” The recruit was speechless. “Years of practice.”

“This is how a sniper fights? I must say your nickname fits very well James.” Twilight was very impressed.

“Thanks, Twily. Despite the horror of the war, there were also nice moments like the Christmas truce.”

The scene switched to a few German and British soldiers singing together. “Ah, the Christmas truce in 1914. Beautiful memories.”

“In Equestria, we also have a Holyday like this. It is called Hearth's Warming Eve. It is about the founding of Equestria,” Twilight explained.

“Interesting, I never thought that we have so much in common.”

The Christmas scene faded. We found ourselves in a storage room. “Looks like a storage room. Wait what’s in these canisters?” Jonas did take a closer look: “giftgas lungenkampfstoff vorsicht!” But there were also all other kinds if poison gas. “This is where the accident happened isn’t it?” Jonas asked. I nodded

“So you like it in France James?” Two Soldiers walked in.

“Yes, Hoffmann, I really do. Despite the war, the cities are beautiful. But I feel a little bit unsafe with these canisters.”

“Relax man, what’s the worst that can happen?” Just as he said these words. we heard a hissing sound.

“What is that? Oh Crap! The gas is released! Quick, we must get out of here Hoffmann!” Before my younger self and Hoffman began to cough violently, I turned to the children. “Please look away.”

“Why?” Paul asked. The answer was the violent coughing and vomit that came up.

Velvet, Julia and Sarah did their best to spare their children from this scene. Celestia putted a wing over Cadence. Even Celestia and her guards couldn’t get well with this. “That must be a horrible experience for you. But how can you survive something like this?” Nightlight was shocked.

"I still I wonder the same question over and over again. The victims coughed literally their lungs out. Horrible and painful. But when I was recovering in the hospital, I met my future wife.” Cadence had a big smile on her face.

“You did? Please tell me how you meet her, please!” She begged excited to hear it.

“There isn’t much to tell. She was the nurse who fixed me up. Love on first sight. But see for yourself.”

We were now in a hospital. I was talking with another Soldier that was lying in a bed right next to me. “You lucky that you've survived all that. I barely survived an artillery strike just next to me. You had damn good luck. Your friend hadn’t so much luck.”

“I know, poor Hoffmann. May, he rest in peace.” A Beautiful nurse with brown hair and green eyes walked in.

“Which of you is Günther?”

“That is me *cough*”

“I am here to take care of you. I must admit you're pretty tough.” She looked at me with an amorous glance. I couldn’t help but do the same.

“Well I was born on a farm so it isn’t anything new to…” I was cut off by a kiss on my lips from the nurse. My comrade just laughed.

“Watch out James. This kind of disease cannot be cured.”

“Whatever.I...don't believe we've been introduced."

“Lena. Lena Engel.”

“Such a nice name. You a really an Angel." That caused Lena to blush. As I recovered, we spend more time together. I told her about my origin and my brother. Lena was thrilled. Shortly before I had to go back to the front, I asked her, “Do you want to marry me?” Lena had tears of joy in her eyes.

“More than anything. But I think it is better that we wait with our wedding until the War is over.”

But how long will that take?” She asked me in a Forlorn voice.

"The commanders are saying 'not long'" I replied with a uncertain expression.

"And what are you saying?"

I looked into her eyes for a few seconds before I kissed her. "ll come back. I promise. However this war ends, whatever it does to me, I will come back...to live whatever's left of my life as a husband."

Before I left, I wrote the letter for my Family.

Dear Father and Mother;
I’m glad to tell you that I’m getting married! Don’t worry about me I am fine. How is it going in the USA? How is my Brother? You’re Son Jessie.

Cadence had tears in her eyes. “This is so beautiful! Congratulations! I can feel as the princess of Love that you were made for each other.”
Celestia, Twilight, her family and my friends had also tears in her eyes.

“This is also how you met your wife. And how you had this accident. But how did you find out, that you can’t age anymore?” Shining Armor was still confused.

“Through a blood test. It was surprising for me and the doctors. And I found also out that I had got another surprise.”

West front 1917

I was talking with Schulz about Lena when an artillery strike hit us. Schultz managed to go to cover, I couldn’t. I survived it but had splitters in my chest. “Hold on James, I try to remove them. It’s a miracle that you survived this.” After he removed the splitter, and stopped the bleeding, he helped me to the hospital. But when we arrived, we realized that the wounds had already healed.

”How is that possible? You should be seriously wounded or dead by now.”

“I think I have the answer,” A scientist said.

“We found out that the different toxic gases mixed together seem to change your DNA. You can’t age anymore and are able to take more damage than a normal human could ever take.” I and Schulz were speechless.

Shining Armor asked confused. “Ok, how?”

“I had the presumption that the accident changed me. I never expected this. But the Scientists could never find out how this works.”

“Even with a lifetime of 1000 years I never had an experience like this.” Even Celestia was confused by this.

A Soldier spoke up, “Mail for you Günther.”

He handed the letter to me. I began to read:

Dear Jessie,
We are glad to hear that you are getting married, and wish you good luck as a future Husband. But we are sorry to tell you, that your brother John who joined the US Army, is reported missing.
Your Parents Cole and Kate

I cried.

Nightlight gave his condolence. “My condolence to hear this.”

“It’s ok. He was never found. But in my Heart, he is still alive. The war was over in 1918. After that we married.”

“I hereby pronounce you husband and wife.” A priest spoke up. We saw my Wedding. I smiled. I was wearing a black suit, my wife a white dress. The guests were cheering, even Schulz was here. He was wearing an eyepatch.

“This is such a beautiful moment. If only your brother was able to this! He would be so proud of you.” Twilight looked with tears over the now married couple.

“Sure he would. The post years were difficult. I was spared from the collective redundancies. Schulz was not. I supported him as much as I could. I had no problems with the new democracy. My Wife and I managed to get over the crises that came. But then the Second World War started. Schulz was fallen when the war began. I was serving in the Luftwaffe.”

We were now in the Air. Shining tried to hold on Cadence because he feared to fall. “Relax, Shining. Since this is a memory, you cannot fall to the ground. We are floating.” Cadence calmed him down. Before he could say something, he heard a roar of engines.

“Achtung! Angriffstrupp ist unterwegs. Ziel erkannt. Abwurfzone markiert.“ Three Stukas were about to dive.

“Please cover your ears. This will be loud.” I said.

Everybody and pony did this as the Stukas dived. The Sirens were very loud.

“Dammit, this was loud. But for what did you need these things?” Shining Armor asked still covering his ears.

“To demoralize and scaring the enemy. And the Sirens did a very good job. I was on the western front and in Africa. Even there, I spared wounded and surrendering soldiers and civilians as well.”

Occupied France 1940

I did a walk. Two SS soldiers cross my part.

“James, what are these men?” Twilight asked curiosity.

“SS. The “Elite”. They were known for being brutal and merciless. I believed in a fast victory but never believed in the propaganda. However, I followed orders for the protection of my Family.”

Crying was heard. I found a lost child in an alley. “Please don’t hurt me,” It pleaded in French. Thanks to the first world war, I could understand and speak fluently French.

“I won’t hurt you. Are you lost?” the Child nodded sobbing. “Don’t worry, I bring you home. How is your name?”

“Lucas. Marchand," The Boy answered.

“A nice name. I am Private Jessie Günther but you can call me James. Where do you live?” I picked him up.

“I live in the Axe historique 16. Do you know where it is?” I chuckled.

“Yes I do. I live there as part of the occupying force. A nice place.”

“This I my house.” Lucas pointed to a small house. I knocked on the Door. A Woman opened the Door.

“Yes? Can I help you?" She asked with a sad voice but tried to hide it.

“I believe, you are missing your son?” I revealed Lucas behind me.

“Mommy!” He cried happy.

“Lucas!” They embraced. “I can’t thank you enough! How is your name?"

“Private Günther. But you can call me James. How is your Name?”

“Lucie. The uniform suits you very good. Do you want to come in?”

“Sure why not.”

“You have a heart for children I can see.” Celestia smiled.

“Well, in France we had order to show us from our best side. But I always help children in need, no matter what. And I must admit our uniforms looked very good, especially the black uniforms of the SS.”

“I must say, despite that the SS did bad things, but their uniforms looked very beautiful,” Julia added.

“After we met, we stayed in contact. Despite the difference in language, we understood us very well. In the Battle of Britain I earned the iron cross again.”

We were again in the air. We saw many planes. “Is this the Battle if Britain?” Twilight looked around. We heard Radio chatter.

“James, we have a Spitfire on our tail! I cannot shot it down!” My copilot shouted.

“Relax Hans; I still have a trick up my sleeve.”

“And that is?”

“Watch this.” I did a looping which the Spitfire pilot didn’t saw coming. Now I was behind him. “Wohls bekommt!” I shouted while shooting him down. Hans was surprised after the Spitfire was going down in flames.

“We will definitely get iron crosses for this if we survive the battle.”

“Battle or no battle, we must abort, we are at low fuel. Inform our escort that we are going home.”

“Will be donem” Hans replied.

“Impressive James. I bet that this was not easy.” Twilight was impressed.

“The Germans had the disadvantage that the planes had not enough fuel for this task and the stukas were slow and vulnerable without escort. If we had not this disadvantage we had won the battle. After this defeat I was in the Africa corps that was founded 1941.”

Now we were in a Desert. A Man wrote a letter.

Dear Lena,
I miss you very much, but you know that I have to do my duty. I wish you could be here, the sunsets are beautiful here. Don’t worry about me; I have no problem with the heat here.
You’re Husband Jessie

“Phew, it’s hot here.” Hans wipes the sweat from his forehead.

“Still better than freezing at -40 degree. And we earned the iron crosses honestly, don’t you think?”

“Of course James.” He proudly shows me his cross. I did the same with mine.

“Despite the heat, the sunsets are beautiful.“

“I agree with that, James.” We looked into the sunset until it was night. “James, you should sleep, we have a great day tomorrow.”

“I know, I just love the night. The stars, the moon, simple beautiful. Oh, look, a shooting star.” I pointed to the sky.

“Make a wish James,” Hans replied. I closed my eyes.

“James, may I ask what do you wish for?”

“Simple Twilight. I wished that I survive the war and can return to my beautiful Wife.”

I noticed that Celestia had a tear in her eye. “Your highness, is something wrong?”

“It’s just, this remind of my sister I lost long ago.”

“I'm sorry.”

“It’s alright.” She replied before we looked again over my memory.

Goodnight Hans, sleep tight.”

“You too.” He replied before we were asleep at the campfire in our cots.

“You really loved your wife.” Jonas had tears in his eyes as well as his wife and Cadence.

“My Family was what was driving me in the War. The next Day, my wish came true but not as I expected.”

We saw a plane landing. I and my copilot got out.

A Soldier refueled our plane. “I don’t think that it is a good idea to let the gas cans stand in the blazing sun.”

“They need to refuel the plane, where should be the cans otherwise?” Hans said. A canister caught fire.

“Hans, watch out!” I shoved him away. I was caught in the explosion. "Ah dammit, that hurt!”

“James! Medic!” He shouted while running to my aid. I was seriously injured.

My friends and Twilights family were shocked at the sight.

“Come on James, stay with me!” Hans tried to keep me awake. Feld marshal Rommel came.

“What happened here?” he asked.

“Sir, a fuel can explode. My Pilot was caught in the explosion. He needs medical attention or he will die!”

“What is his name?” “Jessie Günther, but most people call him James,” Hans explained.

“Private Günther, look at me,” He commanded. I managed to look toward him.

“Sir.” I tried to salute but the pain kept me from doing it.

“Don’t move, Soldier. How are you?” He kneeled down to me.

“I will make it Herr Feld marshal. But what about the American and British?”

“It’s ok, my Son. But let this be my problem. You have done well. But now, you must rest.”

“But I can’t abandon my comrades.”

“They'll be fine. As will you. I will put you in the Field hospital and I will send you home. When you recovered again, then you are free to return of course.”

“Thank you, Herr Feld marshal.” Hans gave me a bottle of water.

“Take a sip, it’s good for you.” I took a sip. After that, Hans helped me to the Field hospital.

“That was the famous Erwin Rommel the “Desert fox” I am correct?” Twilight asked.

“Eeyup. I respected him. He also cared about his soldiers.”

“That was very generous from him,” Julia spoke.

“I was very grateful for that. Back home, my wife had wonderful news for me.” Twilight smiled because she knew what I was meaning.

I saw myself standing in front of my house.

I knocked on the Door. My wife opened the Door. “James, is that you?”

“Who did you expect?” I asked in return. She hugged me. She cried.

“When I heard the news that you were wounded, I thought that you died!”

“Hell no, It takes a lot more to finish me off.”

“Don’t ever leave me!”

“I will always with you Lena. I will be always in your heart.”

She looked at me with a smile. “James, I have something to tell you.”

“And that is?”

"I’m pregnant!” She exclaimed happy. I had tears of joy in my eyes.

“I’m going to be a father. And you will be a mother!”

"Yes James, we are going to be parents.” She hugged me harder. I let out a cry of pain. “Oh sorry, I forget the wounds and bandages out of excitement.”

"It’s ok; I’m on vacation, so I can spend the entire time with you.”

Cadence let out a Squee. “Congratulations! I can imagine how happy you must felt.”

“Apart from the birth of our son, it was the happiest moment I had ever in my life.”

September 1943

“Is this a hospital?” Shining Armor looked around.
He stopped when he saw a woman with a newborn on her arm.

“Congratulations! It’s a boy.” A doctor said. “How shall we call him James?” “How about John? As a memory for my missing brother.” That sounds nice.” Lena and I had tears of joy in our eyes.

Everybody and pony had also tears in their eyes. Even the Guards. It was so nice to see Lena and John in color again, instead of black and white as it was in the photos and pictures. Lena with her brown hair and green eyes, and John, also called little John with green eyes and blonde hair. „The birth of a child is always something nice, isn’t it?” I asked.

Everyone nodded. Velvet said with tears, “This reminds me so much when our Foals were born.” Julia and Sarah said the same.

“This must be the happiest moment in your life!” Cadence looked with joy over the newborn child. “Yes it was.”

A few Days after John’s birth, I wrote a letter to Lucie and Lucas. They saw me now writing the Letter.

Dear Lucie and Lucas,
I know it’s long that we haven’t seen each other, but I have something to tell you: I’m father now! We named our Son John. Since the Africa corps is no more, I will return to France. How were things over there?
Sincerely, James.

“You really closed that French Family in your Heart.” Twilight was smiling.

“Yes I did. And you are no exception.” She blushed. “Back in France, I had to go through Training again. Was no problem since, I had experience from the First World War. I was a simple infantryman.”

“Looks like training ground.” A Guard looked around. Before I could confirm it, an officer spoke up.

Gentlemen, welcome in France. Since you are here, we will check your basic training. We will focus on basic weapon skills but before that, we will check out your fitness. So run to these Sandbags.” I did as the officer told me. “Over the barricade! Over the pit! Up the ladder! Dive to prone in front of the wire! Crouch through, you idiots! Heads down! Well done. Not too much out of breath, I hope. Now move to the weapon station.” He commanded which I did.

“Wow. Impressive how good your stamina is.” Shining Armor had an impressed look on his face.

“I trained my stamina very often. A good stamina can save your life on the field.”

Now the officer explained the weapons. “This is the Mauser C96 pistol. Holds ten rounds and is, reloaded using clips. Free fire on the targets on the range.” I shot on all targets.

“Well done now move to the next station. This is the MP40 machine pistol. Fully automatic using a 32 round magazine. Cover is all important. Can hide you and save your life. Blind fire is the type of firing when you cannot see. Useful if you don’t wanna expose yourself. So use blind fire now and see what you can hit.” I did as ordered. “Well done. Now be more accurate and control your breathing. Free fire on the range, this time control you’re breathing. I controlled my breathing while firing.

“Good well done. Move on to the next station. This is the Mauser k 98 rifle. Single shot, bolt-action. Reloads using the 5 round clip. Obviously accuracy is improved if you aim properly down the sights. To be more accurate estimate the range while downing the sight. 300 meters is a good zero point for your rifle. Practicing the range and firing on the Targets.”

I estimated the range and fired. “Don’t forget to bolt the rifle after each shot Soldier. Much better. Bullets are affected by gravity. This is another reason to downing your sights or just aim high. Now fire again on the targets.” I did as ordered.

“Good well done. Now move on to the next station.” This is the MG 42. Bipod mounted to keep it steady. Use a 45 drum. Deploy the weapon in front of you. Good. The rate of fire is so high on this weapon that the barrel can overheat. If it overheat to far the barrel may burst. Making the weapon unusable, and you defenseless. Replace the barrel now.” I replaced the barrel. “Good. Open fire. Short bursts.”

Before my former self fired I turned to the children. “Cover your ears, this will be loud.” They obeyed.

The last station was the sharpshooter station, which where only little difference was from the standard rifle. Using the scope instead of the sight, loading one bullet at a time and firing from a standing crouch to prone position. The last lessons were the grenade pit and a lesson in close combat.

“Before you go, just remember that you can use your weapon in close combat melee. Hit the barrel with your weapon.” I stroked the barrel with the butt if my rifle. “Well done. Goodbye and good luck.” The officer said before I left.

“For a simple Rifleman, you were trained for many weapons.” Twilight was surprised.

“Well, that was for the case if I had to replace a fallen squad member. The Mauser k 98 was the standard rifle for the infantry. Slow rate of fire but packed a punch. The MP 40 was the standard Sub machine gun used by officers. The MG 42 was the Standard MG that replaced the MG 34. I must admit, that was a clever idea that the barrel can be replaced if it overheats. But I preferred rifles over submachine guns and MG’s.”

"Wasn’t the P38 the standard Pistol in the Wehrmacht?” Hans asked.

“Yes it was. It should replace the P08 which was used by officers. The Mauser C96 was used by Soldiers behind the front lines and military truck drivers. But it was my favorite pistol. I liked the Schnellfeuer version of it. After my training I was sent to Paris again.”

France, Paris 1944

Back in Paris, I was greeted by Feld marshal Rommel again. I was wearing a Heer uniform with a patrol cap. “Ahh, Private James, good to see you again.” He smiled. I saluted. “At ease. Are you feeling good?”

“Yes Sir. Despite the good times I had with my family, it is good to be back again.”

“Glad to hear it. Congratulations for becoming a father.” When he said that I was confused.

“If I may ask Sir, how did you…”

“Know? Well, you are well known for what you do for your comrades and civilians. And I have my contacts.”

“Thank you, Sir.”

“You are a good Soldier. And you will become a good father, no doubt. Stay that way.” He gave me a pat on my shoulder. I was surprised about how he acted. He was like he did know me for years as a friend. “Oh, and if you wondering why I act like this: You have earned my respect for what you do. But for now, enjoy your time in Paris while you can. The Allies could attack any time now.”

"I will Herr Feld marshal.”

“Wow, I never thought that you were so close to the famous Desert fox.” Hans was amazed.

“Neither, did I. But it was a moment I never forgot.”

“Shouldn’t you suppose to wear a helmet instead of a cap?” Twilight asked with curiosity.

“We were wearing caps when Helmets were not fitted for the situation. But I was wearing a cap most of the time because it suited more to my uniform and disturbed not so much when I had to run.”

“Oh, ok.”

Now we heard an engine of a car. A Kübelwagen was driving by. The Radio played Feeling good from Nina Simone. Once the Driver stopped in front of the house of Lucie and Lucas, I stepped out. “Thanks for the ride, Müller.”

“Anytime buddy,” He replied before driving off.

“That is the famous Kübelwagen, right?” Twilight asked again.

“Yes, one of the most used vehicles of the Wehrmacht apart from the Opel Blitz.”

I knocked on the Door. Lucas opened it. “Yes, how can I help…” he cut himself off as he recognized me.

“Hello my little Friend, I’m back.”

“James!” he hugged me “Mom, James is back!” he called out.

Lucie came out of the kitchen. “James, is it really you?”

“Yes, didn’t you got my letter?”

“I got it. After all what happened, I just couldn’t believe it. Anyway, I’m glad to hear it that you are a father now.”

“I’m too!” Lucas added.

“May I come in?” I asked.

“You are welcome here anytime,” She answered. We sat down in the living room. Lucie brought some Tea.

“So, what happed while I was gone?” Lucie had a worried look on her face.

“Well, the Wehrmacht soldiers treated us very well. But when the SS came and the Resistance, everything was getting worse. The SS und Gestapo took people away; we heard nothing from them ever again or took people as hostages and executed them. I’m glad that we weren’t taken yet. After my Husband died in a car crash shortly after my boy was born, I was afraid that I will lose him too.”

I let a tear escape. “Sorry to hear that.”

“That is so terrible. Why would someone do something like this?" Cadence asked.

“The SS and Waffen SS and the Gestapo were all fanatic. They were known for their brutality towards civilians and captured soldiers. Merciless and ruthless as well. I deployed an immediately dislike for them, once I heard how they were. What I still remember is, when you look in the eyes of a member of the Gestapo, SS or Waffen SS, that they showed no sign of emotion.”

Before anyone or pony could say something, we were interrupted. ”Mommy! They are coming for us!” Lucas pointed out of the window. A Gestapo cruiser was driving by.

“Oh non. Oh god no! Please James, you must help us!” Lucie begged.

“Don’t worry; do you have a back door?”

"Oui.”

“Good. I will do what I can to distract them as long as possible. Now go!” I ordered.

“We are very grateful for that. I wish you good luck. Au revoir.” Lucie said before she and Lucas prepared to left.

The Cruiser stopped in front of the house. A Gestapo agent and a SS Soldier left the car. I opened the Door. “Hello Sir!” I saluted the Soldier with a military salute. “I’m Private Günther how can I help you?” The SS Soldier saluted me with the German salute.

“Greetings, I’m SS-Scharführer Dieter Amsel and this is Gestapo Agent Heinrich Bauer.” Bauer saluted too. He was wearing glasses, a fedora and a black trench coat. Dieter was wearing an officer Hat and also a black trench coat. Both had blue eyes and blond hair. No sign of emotion.

I heard a whimper behind me. Twilight, Paul, and Lukas were all scared from the two men but their mother comforted them as best as they could.

“Is Lucie Marchand here? We have some Questions for her.” Bauer said in a cold and emotionless tone.
“I’m sorry; she is not here at the moment. She went shopping with her Son.” I lied. I feared that none of them believed my answer. “If you say so we will try it later again. Heil Hitler!” Dieter said before he and Bauer were getting in the cruiser and left. “That was close.” I said to myself.

“Whoa, you are right, these guys are really emotionless. Our Guards are nothing compared to them. No offence”. Cadence looked over a guard who had problems of hiding his fear.

Even he was scared of the two Men. “It’s alright.”

“You deserve a Medal for this! Saving a family from her doom!” Shining Armor had proud in his voice.

“It was a dangerous move. But you have a good heart. And it was very brave from you to do this.” Celestia had also proud in her voice.

“Thanks, your highness. A few days later I had got a message from Lucie.”

Now my Memory showed me patrolling the Streets of Paris. The invasion hasn’t begun yet. My Rifle was shouldered. A citizen was passing by while giving me a note and an envelope.
“Psst. For youm monsieur,” He spoke quietly.
“Thank you. Now get out of here.” I read the Note.

We managed to escape on the countryside to friends who gave us shelter. We will be always grateful for your help. I and Lucas have also a little gift for you. It is in the envelope. We wish you luck that you survive the war and hope that you can return to your family. Maybe we will see each other again. Lucie.

I smiled. They were safe. I checked the envelope. The gift was a locket. I opened it. It showed a Family photo of Lucie and Lucas. Under it was written: Thank you for everything.

Apart of the Pocket watch my brother gave me, it was the nicest gift I had ever got.

“It was a very nice Idea of them to give you this. I’m also very proud of you. James.” Twilight smiled.

It warmed my heart every time I saw her smiling. “How do you, got your second award?”

“Remember the Soldier that drove the Kübelwagen?” She nodded.

“I saved him while under heavy fire.” Everybody was startled by a whistle that turned into an explosion.

“What was that?!” Jonas was holding his ears.

“Artillery.” I responded,

Now we were on a battlefield. A Small Squad of Wehrmacht Soldiers tried to hold their position. It consisted of me armed with my trusty K98, Müller, our Squad leader armed with a MP 40 and two Riflemen. One was armed with a Gewehr 43 while the other had the new MP 44. Müller was firing a mounted MG 42. I and my comrades were behind Müller behind some sandbags. But it was like the American Soldiers had endless waves of Soldiers.

“There are too many off them! We must retreat or we will be overrun, Squad leader!” Müller shouted.

“I know, Squad, retreat!” The Squad Leader ordered. But as were about to do It, I heard a loud bang. Müller was hit.

“Medic!” he called out while blood came out of his chest.

I called out, “Cover me!”

“You heard him. Covering fire”! My Squad covered me, while I dodged gunfire and explosions. Once I reached Müller, I tried to stop his bleeding.

“If I will not make it, tell my wife I love her.” He managed to say with a weak voice. Once I had bandaged him, I gave him an adrenalin syringe.

“Don’t worry, you going to be fine. I have seen much worse wounds." My hands were covered in blood but as a Medic I was used to it. I picked him up to carry him to safety. One of the riflemen shouted, “Take that, you wretched Yankees! No offence, James.” He apologized as he remembered that I was of American blood. But it didn’t upset me.

“The Enemy is retreating!” My Squad leader shouted as a Tiger tank was driving up and fired at the US Soldiers. They all had no Weapons against the Tiger. My comrades cheered.

“Well done Private. For this act of bravery, you deserve the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross,” The Squad leader said.

“I never leave a comrade behind, Sir,” I replied to my Squad leader.

“I know and I respect that. You two, bring Müller to the Field hospital.” He ordered my comrades.

“Yes, Sir!” They responded.

“Easy now,” Hans said as they careful took him from me. “I owe you one James. Hey! Catch me later, I'll buy you a beer!” “I will, Müller.” I washed the blood off my Hands with a bottle of water.

“I never saw a Tiger Tank in action. If he hadn’t come, your squad would be overrun.” Jonas looked at the Tank.

“Yes, that is a Tiger Tank. One of the most feared tanks of the war. A Legend. 120 mm front armor, 80 mm at the side and the rear. As Main weapon an 8, 8 cm-KwK 36. As secondary two MG 34’s. A dangerous enemy.”

“Interesting, that is how a Tiger Tank looks like.” Twily inspected the tank with interest.

“This is also how you got the Knight’s Cross? Your wife must be very proud of you back then.” Julia was impressed.
“Yes she was.”
Germany 1944

Back at home again, now with my second award, my wife greeted me. “I’m so proud of you. For everything you did. You deserved the award. But please, be careful and do not end like the others.”

"I’m always careful, my dear wife.”

“What did she mean with this?” Shining Armor asked confused.

“The Knight’s cross was the highest award you could get. The NS Propaganda treated Knight's Cross Holders as Heroes of the Nation. This resulted in that simple low ranked soldiers like me, were sent to suicide missions or to the hardest fronts. This resulted also that many died. I had the luck that I was spared from this.” Before he could reply, we heard a baby voice.

“Daddy!” It was John. He was able to walk but was not able to speak right yet.

“Hey little buddy, how’s it going?” I asked happy.

“Daddy! Mommy!” was all he could say.

“Our Pride, our baby, our Son.” Lena was happy too. I booped his nose which caused him to giggle.

It was a nice Memory. Cadence looked at the scene with a wide grin. “He is such a sweet boy. You loved him with all your heart right?” I nodded.

“James, I have something for you.” My wife gave me a small Family photo so it fitted in my pocket. “When you are on the front, you can still remember us.”

“Thank you.” I kissed her. Then Müller knocked on the door.

“Hello my Friend. Now... about that beer I owed ya!" He was completely recovered. He had only bandages around his chest.

“I know a good bar not far from here. This must be celebrated!”

“I'll be right back, Müller.” I said goodbye to my wife. Before I went into Müllers car, I saw through the Window, that my wife brought little John into his bed and read him a bedtime story. I smiled and so did Müller. “You really care for your family.”

Now we saw the Bar, Müller mentioned.

Soldiers chatted with each other. One Soldier played a piano. Müller spoke up, “On James and his Family!” he gave me a Beer. “Thanks, I drink no alcohol.” “Ah a reasonable man. I respect that you want to be a good father. An alcohol-free for him.” He ordered. I give the piano player a tip “Yeah, I know that one.” He said. Then he played “The Songless Nightingale“. Everybody stood up and began to sing. Also a beautiful Memory.

“This reminds me when I hanged out with my friends,” Shining Armor commented.

“It was the last time that I saw my comrades or Müller. Müller was sent to the Eastern front. He never returned.”

Everybody had a sad look.

When the party was over, I was asked if I could drive, since I was the only one that was sober. Everybody tried to get in an Opel blitz before I drove off.

“What happened next, James?” Twilight had look on her face that said “Please tell me.”

“Did you read about the Battle of the Bulge?”

“You took part in the famous Battle of the Bulge?” She was excited.

“Yes I was. It was one of the last offensives on the western front.”

Ardennes 1944/1945

Now in winter uniform I had a conversation with my Squad members. All young recruits. None of them had fighting experience. Except me and my Squad leader.

“I don’t like it, that we are not allowed to make prisoners. It is against my Honor.”

“I know but orders are orders. But I respect your mercy to prisoners. It is also an Honor to have a Knight’s cross holder in our Squad,” One recruit said.

“So we are,” The other two recruits added.

“I know.”

“Squad, listen up!” Our Squad leader joined us.

“Sir.” We all said but he saluted me first before I could.

“At ease. We have order to assist in the Siege of Bastogne. Let’s move out. Oh before I forgot, we will NOT kill prisoners despite the orders from High command. We will show mercy, understand?”

“Yes, sir!” we all responded. I was letting out a sigh of relief. My Squad leader noticed that.

“Relieved Private?”

“Yes, Sir. It is just, I don’t like to do such cruel things. I’m not a coldblooded bastard as the Waffen SS are.”

“Me neither. That’s why I decided to not follow that order.” He explained before we all entered a Halftrack.

“What does he mean with that order?” Twilight asked innocent.

“Well Twily, we had order to only take prisoners if the ‘tactical Situation’ allowed it. Otherwise, we should kill them. I never followed that order.”
“Oh.” She was now frightened.

“How could someone order such a terrible thing?”

“Our Führer who was insane at this point. I didn’t want to scare you.”

“It’s ok; I just didn’t expect something like this.” She was now comforted by her mother who rubbed her back.

“I’m here Twilight, there’s not need to be scared.”

“Thanks mom but why saluted your Squad leader you first?”

“Knight’s cross holders had to be saluted first regardless of their rank.”

Now the battle began. Our Halftrack was under heavy fire. My Squad stayed crouched to avoid being hit. But then an explosion hit us. The force was enough to throw me out of the Halftrack in a ditch. I suffered Shellshock, my vision was blurry. Once it returned, I saw that my Squad was now in cover behind the now disabled Halftrack. They retreated without noticing me. I was too weak to follow them or to call out to them. A splitter was in my left leg, so I couldn’t get up. The Family photo was fallen out of my pocket. I grabbed it and looked at it. “I’m sorry Lena.” I managed to say before I lost consciousness.

“You poor. You don’t deserve to be left behind. Not after all you did.” Paul was close to tears.

“My comrades had not noticed in the heat of the battle that I was missing. I thought it’s over. But it wasn’t.”

It was night when I regained consciousness. Nothing but silence. I putted the Photo back in my pocket and tried to pull the splitter out. It was painful but successful .I putted a bandage around my leg. I had only my pistol. A Mauser C96 Model 712. I limped in the near forest completely lost.

It didn’t take long until I heard a voice. It was young and in German. It also sounded like the Recruit that spoke to me earlier. I could not exactly hear what he said but it sounded if he was blaming himself. I called out, “Hello? Is here somebody?” Suddenly silence, then a loud, “Identify, yourself!” “Private Günther!” “Private Richtofen!” he shouted back before he came closer and I could see him.

He was no older than 18. His uniform was dirty. It was the Recruit who spoke to me before we moved out. I holstered my pistol. He lowered his rifle once he saw me.

“Is it really you? The Knight’s cross holder from our Squad? It’s really you. I thought you died!”

“Hell no, it takes more to finish me off. How did you end up here?” Now he had a guilty look on his face.

“When our Squad retreated, we noticed that you were missing. We wanted to come back for you, but we were ambushed by American paratroopers. I’m the only survivor. I panicked and managed to flee, the others were all shot. I should have died with then instead of fleeing. I’m such a coward!” He broke out in tears.

“Listen, you are not a coward, you did the right thing. Surrendering or retreating is no shame. Or No consent of failure but a away to keep soldiers alive, Regardless what the Führer orders. You are still young. You are not as experienced as I am. It’s ok buddy.” I comforted him. “But now, we should find shelter.”

“Thank you. Let me help you.” he assisted me as he saw my wound.

While we were looking for shelter, he asked me, “How did you survive that long?”

“Using cover as good as I could, duck when I had to and keep moving when trying to switch cover or position. But most of all when in a Squad, work as a team not alone. And the faith, that I can see my wife and child again. Sometimes it is just luck.”

He opened his mouth to reply but closed it as he saw a camp fire. “Are this friendly’s or foes?” he pointed out.

“There’s only one way to find out.” But as we came closer I saw two US Soldiers. One was wounded. Richtofen stepped on a twig. This alerted them. The other Soldier drew his rifle and shouted, “Who’s there?”

“Please don’t shoot, my friend is wounded.” Richtofen begged with English that you could clearly hear his German accent.

“You will not be harmed. Step into the light where I can see you.” The Soldier ordered. We stepped into the light. “Great, Jerrys!” he complained.

“Stop complaining and ask if they have medical supplies. I won’t make it without medical attention, John!” the wounded soldier was holding chest.

“Alright Miller. But one wrong move and you are dead. Is one of you a Medic?” John asked us. I raised my hand and began to look over Miller. He had the same wound as Müller so I knew what to do. After I did my work, John began to look over me.

“You look familiar to my grandfather.” That surprised me.

“Was his name John?”

“Yes, my father named me after him. He told me that he went missing in the First World War.” No doubt it was my nephew. My parents never wrote that my brother had a family.

“Did you know that he had a brother?” I asked.

“Yes he went to Germany, why are you…” John cut himself off once he realized that his uncle was in front of him. “No way. This can’t be.”

“Do you need a proof?” I showed him my pocket watch with the photo in it.

“Uncle James? I never thought I would meet you.”

“Me too. Do you want to tell me about your life?” There isn’t much to tell.”

He told me that his father was a high ranked officer in the US army. But he had barely Time for him so John decided to join the Army, so he could have more time with his father. John was born 1924. “So how did you end up here, uncle?”

“It’s a long story.” I told him when I served in the First World War, about the accident, my Family and so. I showed him my Family photo and the locket from Lucie.

“Incredible,” His mind was blown from my story. “But I’m very proud of you. Saving a Family from the Gestapo and founding a Family. Your Son looks very cute.”

“Thanks. How did you end up here?”

“My Squad was attacked by Waffen SS Soldiers. Only I and Miller who was hit escaped.” He explained.

Miller was only 20. His mother died as he was born. His father was an alcoholic. Miller went into the Army to escape his father. I didn’t blame him.

“Do you want a cigarette? Calms the nerves.” Miller asked me.

“No thanks, I don’t smoke.”

“Even if it makes ill, whatever.” He lit a cigarette. Richtofen started to write a letter.

“You’re Girlfriend?” I asked.

“My mother. I write her, that I won’t study at Heidegger this winter. I can’t die.”

“Good for you, Kraut,” Miller commented.

“No, I mean, my mother… beard me when she was 48. It’s a wonder. She raised me all by herself. A Simple woman. And she did go to the Wehrersatzkommando and said; that I am her only son and that I must study and can’t be conscripted.”

“Brave woman.” She earned my respect for that, Miller's and John's as well.

“She was detained for a whole night. For delinquency. A woman, 66 years old. Do you understand?”

“How is your name, kid?” John asked.

“Martin.” I was touched by Martins story. And so were the US Soldiers.

”Listen Kid, the War will be over soon, and I wish you luck that you survive the war. You deserve something better than this,” Miller spoke to him.
“Oh I forgot, our Squad leader wanted to give you this letter.” Martin gave it me. As I read it, I let out a tear of Joy.

Dear Jessie,
I don’t know when we will see each other again, but I wanted to tell you that your Son really likes the story’s I read to him. I’m sure that he will like it to read when he gets older. Don’t worry about us; Volkach is spared from the air raids.
Your wife Lena

“Uncle, can you play harmonica?” John was holding a harmonica in his hand.

“Yes I can.” I took the harmonica and played.

Twilight sniffled. “This is so nice yet so sad. Meeting your Nephew. And then this Story from your comrade. Why was he in Army anyway when he wanted to study?” She had a mix of sadness and anger in her voice.

“He was drafted. All men aged 18 to 25 where suitable to fight. Later it was raised to an age of 45. You had also the choice to volunteer for the Wehrmacht. I choice to volunteer because I could choice what kind of soldier I wanted to be. But in the end stages of the War, we had Personnel and material shortage. This resulted, that old Men and even Children had to fight.”

Twilight’s family was shocked by this. “How can someone do something terrible like this?!” Velvet was shocked.

“The Führer was in control of everything. Everybody who was against him was put to silence. There was also Resistance in Germany but the Gestapo had great success in destroying it. But much worse was, even if only you resisted, your Family was also put into ‘custody’ or executed."

Now even Celestia and her Guards had their mouths open in shock. “This is terrible.” Cadence cried only to comfort by Shining Armor.

“Still it is nice, that you were able to make Friends with your enemies.”

“This happened very often when the belligerents were too tired to fight, or wanted to recover wounded or fallen Soldiers. Or like in this case when we had to work together, as we were cut off from our allies.”

Germany March 1945

A few Days before Würzburg was bombed, I saw my wife and Son for the last time. “They need more Personnel in the hospital in Würzburg. I was ordered to help out for a while. Since you are back on the front in a few days, I have no choice but to take John with me. But on the bright Side, I can visit some friends over there.”

“I know Lena. Just be careful, I don’t want to lose you too. Hans is in captivity of the Western forces, Müller is presumed dead and Richtofen was sent to the Eastern front.”

“Don’t worry about me; Würzburg isn’t as important for the industry as Dresden or Augsburg.” She kissed me.

“Goodbye, my love.” I called out while she and John left.

“You loved your Family with all your heart. You were also worried about their safety.” Hans was also close to tears like Cadence and the rest was.

”If I had known what would happen, I had warned her.”

“Was your friend Müller deceased or still alive? Lukas asked me.

“When the Russians took prisoners, we heard nothing from them which leaded to the conclusion that they were fallen. The last Prisoners were released in 1955.”

“Now I get it.”

16th March 1945

I was far away from Würzburg but close enough that I could watch everything.

The children were startled by a loud explosion. “What was that? “Twilight regretted that Question as she saw the firestorm. “Oh my…” She couldn’t believe what she saw. Explosions and Air raid sirens filled the Sky. The Children were covering their ears. “Look away, sweetie.” Velvet hugged her Daughter.

Even she couldn’t bear it. “I think it is better if we skip this, ok?” Celestia was also startled by this horrible thing. Before we were going to the day after it, I saw the Volkssturm member who spoke to me.

“There’s nothing we can do. We can only hope and pray that your family will survive this.”

17th March 1945

Now, we saw me looking for my family in the burned down city. Everywhere were, debris. Once I reached the hospital, I broke out in tears and cried uncontrollably. The Hospital was completely destroyed. A corpse of a Nurse who was holding a baby in her arms was in the debris which I immediately identified as my wife and Son. Though they were burned, they were still recognizable. I prayed that their death was quick and painless.

I tried my best to not to cry in front of the children, so I buried my face in my hands and looked away. I felt something soft and warm around my legs. As I opened my Tear-filled eyes, I saw Twily on her hind legs hugging me tight. Paul and Lucas did this too. Even Celestia putted a wing over me. “You comforted me and cheered me up when I was sad, now it is my turn!” Twilight looked up to me.

“I now it is hard, but we can’t change what happened in the past. I wish until this day I hadn’t lost my sister.” She, her Guards, Cadence, my Friends and the Twilights were crying.

“Thank you, your Highness.”

“I don’t want to make you sadder but what happened to you after this?” Hans asked still sad.

“As it couldn’t get any worse, I was in Berlin when the battle started.”

Berlin, April 1945

Berlin was a city of ruins. Explosions, Gunfire and Air raid Sirens could be heard from a distance. The Russians hadn’t, broke through our defenses yet. Still, Berlin was a Ghost town. At night, bombers attacked the city while the Flak towers tried to defend what was left. I had a conversation with a Soldier. “So was your wife able to get out of berlin?” I asked him.

“I don’t know. Non-essential communications are banned.”

“Well, no news is good news, right?”

“It’s no news, that’s all it is. I don’t want to think about it.”

“My Family is dead, so I have nothing to lose anymore. Still, I’m looking forward to the end of all this.”

“Me too. Sorry for your loss,” He replied. But then a fanatic Soldier came.

“Soldier of Germany! You should be grateful to fight!” I disagreed with this.

“It’s hardly a fight anymore, Allies from the west, Russians from the East…”

“This is not the time for such talk. Keep it together, Soldier.”

“But we can’t win on two fronts!”

“You’re a disgrace!” But I didn’t care.

I had lost everything I used to love. My Friends and my Family. I had lost the will to fight. Still, I didn’t want to die in a battle that was pointless or end up in Russian captivity. As we patrolled through the Streets, I heard a baby crying. It came from a building that was surprisingly completely intact. This was rare. Next to the building were hanged civilians and Soldiers.

They all had signs. “The Soldier can die the deserter must die. I had to die.”

“This is horrible.” Shining Armor looked at the signs.

“But real. For the Führer, surrendering was not an option. Instead, he ordered to defend the city to the last Men. Everyone who said that the war is lost or refused to fight ended like this.”

I looked into the building. A Woman tried to calm down her two babies. She looked up to me, once she succeeded. “You don’t like you have still the will to fight.”

“You are correct”

“Can you do me a favor?” I nodded. “Please, bring my Sons to safety. I don’t want that they die in this battle,” She begged. She reminded me of a mix of my Wife and Lucie. She was close to tears.

“Yes, I'll do it.” She hugged me.

“Thank you! After my husband died on the Eastern front, I didn’t know what to do! I will always be grateful for that!”

“Relax, Ma’am. First, we need an escape plan.”

“I think I can help with that.” We turned around to see the Soldier I spoke earlier today. “I got a Radio transmission. A Plane is supposed to land tomorrow not far from here. If you can make it, the Pilot can bring you to safety,” He explained.

“Are you sure that this information is not false?”

“There was a lot of static. I only understood something with Plane, landing, tomorrow. We can only hope that the information was right.”

“Wow, despite your depression, your heart managed to win over it.” Jonas was impressed.

“What can I say, despite my lost, I didn’t want to die in a pointless battle or end up in the hands of the Russians.”

Now it was night. My Squad was a mix between me, the Soldier who had the Idea with the plane, an Old man and a boy. “This is outpost 6! We are being overrun! The Enemy has broken through! Repeat the…” The radio message ended abrupt with static.

“Now it’s only a matter of time.” I said.

“And? We can still win!” The boy was eager to fight. “How should I look into the eyes of my mother if I don’t fight?”

“Just be glad that you can look in her eyes at all!” The old man replied.

“You are just a Coward!” The boy responded. I looked at him.

“How old are you?”

“12.”

“You are a child. The Russians will send you home.”

“I heard from this fanatic guy, that there is a secret underground warehouse full of German weapons. He couldn’t say where it is or if it is real.” The Soldier interrupted.

“Really? Does it matter? Defeat is imminent.” I was not convinced. Our Conversation was interrupted by a sound of an engine.

“Sounds like a tank.”

“One of ours?” The boy asked.

“I don’t think the Russians are that fast.”

“I don’t know, kid,” I replied. But to our bad luck it was a T-34.

“T-34!” Panzerfaust, schnell!” The Soldier shouted. The T-34 fired but missed us. The Boy grabbed a Panzerfaust, aimed at the tank and fired. The T-34 was destroyed but was able to fire again before it was destroyed.

He missed again but the explosion caused debris to fall on me. It made my vision blurry. I felt that someone tried to drag me before my vision went black.

“You didn’t lie. Children had to fight?! At such a young Age?!” Cadence was angry.

“They and old men were the last reserves Germany had.”

“Was that a Panzer Faust the boy fired?” Lukas asked.

“Yes. It was such a simple design. So simple that everyone, even Children or untrained civilians could use it.”

The next morning, I woke up on a couch. It was the same building where I met the woman. “Ugh my head. Why me?” I held my head in pain.

“Ah, you are awake!” It was the woman and the soldier.

“What happened?”

“After the debris fell on you, Infantry attacked. We managed to stop it, but the old man died. The boy fled. But he deserves to live not to die in this hell. I must admit, you are really tough. But enough talking, you got a plane to catch,” The Soldier explained.

As I was about to leave, the woman called out, “Wait! Before you go, can you tell me you’re Names?”

“Just call me James.”

“My name is Wolfgang.” The Soldier said.

The woman gave both boys a kiss. “Goodbye my Children, mommy loves you.” I took one baby, Wolfgang the other. The plane a Fieseler Fi 156 “Storch” was landed on a field, ready for take-off.

“You made it! Schnell, get in!” the Pilot shouted quiet not to wake the boys who were sleeping.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

“Actually bring supplies. But after Wolfgang told me what he and you were planning, I decided to help you.”

“Thank you for your help.”

“You don’t need to thank me, Men like me joined up to fight for Germany's future. And we'll fight to the last man for it if we must.” We gently laid the Boys in the plane.

“I will stay behind.” Wolfgang was about to leaving us.

“What are you doing?”

“You deserve a second chance after all you did. I will stay behind and buy you some time. Now go!”

I boarded the plane and the plane took off. “Do we have enough fuel?”

“Don’t worry. It is one of the last planes which, is fully fueled. I can bring you to London. Leave the talking to me when we arriving. You should catch some sleep. It will be very stressful in London.” Before I pulled my cap over my eyes, I looked out of the window. The Soviets had noticed us, but it was too late as they fired at us.

“You are a life-saver. It was also a very nice from the pilot to help you.” Twilight was sad yet proud.

“Thanks for the compliment. In London, I was brought into the USA and into a cell. The boys were brought into an orphanage. But thanks to my Nephew, I was released quickly.”

10th May 1945 USA Dallas

I was in a cell. Germany was fallen. I hadn’t heard any news what they will do with me. The Door opened. A Guard spoke to me, “Hey Kraut, visit for you.” Visit? Who could visit me? It was John.

“Uncle, long time not see.”

“What are you doing here?” “I’m here to tell you, that you can go. My father has arranged everything. Besides, I’m not the only one who wanted to see you.” He stepped aside to reveal Lucie and Lucas.

“We travelled all the way here to see our favorite German.” Lucas was happy to see me.

“But we also want to give our condolence.” Lucie added.

“A generous move from your Nephew.” Julia escaped a tear.

“After Germany was defeated, I lived with John’s family. They accepted me. They even treated me like I was a real member of it. I helped families in Germany with CARE packages. I returned to Germany in 1950 after the economic miracle came.”

“What happened to your comrades and the two children?” Paul asked.

“Well, Martin was shot by a sniper, Müller died in Russian captivity and Wolfgang was executed after he helped me. Only Hans, my former copilot survived. He watched my home, until I returned, after he was released. As for the Children, they were adopted from a young pair that was similar to me and my wife.”

“Did you ever find out where this warehouse is or if was real?” Jonas was curious.

“I never found out. I didn’t care about this story anyway back then.”

“Yet it is interesting if it was real or only a rumor.” Hans added.

USA Dallas 1950

I knocked on the Door on the house where the pair lived. A young woman opened it. “How can I help?”

“Good day Ma’am, my name’s James I wanted to look after your sons.”

“Ah, you must be John’s Uncle. Come inside, he explained everything to us already. Oh, how rude from me, name’s Ashley. Ashley Connor.”

“Pleasure.” She leaded me to the living room. “Honey, would you please come, we have visit!” she called out.

“Yes, my dear?” a young man walked in. “Greetings, name’s Michael. And you are?”

“John’s Uncle. My real name is Jessie but most people call me with my nickname James.”

“Ah, the man who brought our adopted Sons here. Let me guess: You wanted to look after them before you are going. I promise you, they are in good hands.” As I looked him into his eyes, I saw that he was honest.

“We named them, Martin and Toby. They are sleeping right now. But we will tell them the truth when they are old enough.” Ashley promised me. “Did you found out what happened to their mother?” I let out a sigh.

“After I boarded the plane, an SS officer killed her for this. I found this out in an allied report.”

“Our condolence. But we must accept what has happened and move on.”

“I know. Have a nice day.” I leaved knowing that Martin and Toby could live a happy life.

“A nice Pair. Young and full of love.” Cadence smiled.

“Yes. After my visit, I went to German again.”

Germany 1950

I, now wearing a suit with hat, was leaving the Train station in Volkach. Hans, also wearing a suit greeted me. “I never thought I would see you again.”

“Ey!!!”

“Oh!!!!”

“Look at this. You haven’t changed a bit! You look good in this suit.”

“Thanks, Hans. You look good too. What are you planning to do now?”

“Study at the University. And you?” “I think I will earn my money as Auxiliary worker until I found a better job. Being a Soldier is the only good thing I can do. After my Family died, I don’t know how I continue with my life.”

“Sorry for your loss. But chin up. You’re alive. And you cheated death so often. Besides, you are one of the most decorated soldiers of the war. When I was in the prison camp, many prisoners and guards spoke about you. Despite your loss, you should enjoy your life. Maybe you will adopt a child or marry again to come over your loss. Or a miracle will happen and cheer you up.”

“Thanks man.”

“Anytime. Oh, I forgot, I have a Welcome gift for you.” He led me to a Brand new WV Käfer.

“Wow, thanks. How were you able to buy this?”

“I have a friend in one of the factories that owned me something.”

“So how’s my place?”

“Like I told you on the phone – it’s just like you left it. Here are the keys.”

“The death of your family hit you really hard.” Velvet wiped a tear out of her eye.

“It has. I never came over it until your daughter came into my life.”

“Where are we now?” Twilight looked around until she found a note. She started to read “For: Herr Jessie Günther. Address: Königstrasse 12. Barbital 1 mg. For depression. Take as directed. Date: Sep. 1950. Doctor: Dr. Bernhard Hirsch. Reg. number 73629.”

As she looked up she saw a man on a desk, looking at a Family album. She recognized this man as me. “This is so sad.”

“When I returned home, I deployed a strong depression. Still, I took part on the worship every year on the 16th march and visit the grave of my wife and Son.”

Now we were on a graveyard. I was holding a small bouquet of white roses. I kneeled down in front of the graves of my son and Wife. “R.I.P. Lena Günther Beloved Wife and Mother 1898-1945”

“R.I.P John Günther Beloved Son 1943-1945”

“I miss you so much!” I put the bouquet of flowers in front of the grave of my wife. “I couldn’t protect you! I’m so sorry! But still l love you with my heart. As for my Son: I wish I had longer the feeling of being a father. But I can only hope that your death was Quick and painless. Auf wiedersehen, my Family.” I slowly stood up and walked away. I sobbed and cried.

As I saw this memory, I was trying my best to hold my tears. Again, everyone cried and Twily hugged my leg. “Sad James? Njet! I do not tolerate this! Must cheer you up.” She formed a hand with her magic and booped my nose. I giggled.

“You really learn fast.”

“Even if it’s hard to live as a widower, you shouldn’t blame yourself.” Jonas putted a hand on my shoulder.

“I know. It was then part of the depression.”

“I feel that there are only two memories left.” Celestia also tried to hold her tears.

“Wait! Before we continue, what happened to your friends and your nephew?” Lukas asked.

“He had the misfortune that he was deployed when the Korea war started. He was one of the first US soldiers who lost their lives. Hans suffered a heart attack shortly after I met him in Volkach. Lucie and Lucas died on their way home as their ship sunk.”

“You and your relatives have really bad luck, when it comes to life and Friends.”

“You don’t say, Hans.”

Germany 1955

“This is when we met when the Bundeswehr was founded, right?” I nodded.

I shared my Room with Hans and Jonas. We began to introduce ourselves.

“Jessie Günther but you can call me James.”

“Hans König”.

“Jonas Walter. Do you want to tell is about your life, James?”

“Long story.” I told them about my origin, and my service in WW1 and WW2.

“Wow, a veteran and a Knight’s cross holder. I must say it is an Honor to have you as a comrade.” Hans was impressed.

“I hope you haven’t forgotten how to shoot.”

“Oh yeah? Watch this.” I walked to the shooting range and grabbed an m1 grand. I controlled my breathing and fired at the targets. Every shot hit. “Impressive. Good that you are on our Side. I didn’t want to have you as an enemy in a firefight.”

“I believe that from you.”

Hans wanted to load his rifle, only to pinching his finger. “Ow! Dammit!”

“That is the problem with this American rifle. Back in the War, many of our Soldiers had this too, when they used captured m1s. Do you need a sticking plaster?”

“No, it’s alright.”

“If I may ask do you have a Family, Hans?”

“Yes I have. A Wife and a Son. He was born last year. We named him Paul. And you Jonas?” He scratched his neck nervously and blushed.

“Well, I have a crush on someone. It is a beautiful woman called Sarah. We dated but I’m too shy to ask her to marry me.”

“As a medic, should I give you something against lovesickness?” He gave me a not amused look.

“No thanks. Someday, I will manage to do it. Why you joined the army?”

“I was a Soldier my whole life. I can’t image another job. Besides, Germany needs an army after the Korea war, right?”

“You bet! I joined the army to make my wife proud. And to protect her if she is threatened or if a war breaks out.”
“I-I-I joined the army to impress my girlfriend,” Jonas managed to say still nervous.

“Good luck, Tiger. Hey James, do you have a Family?” As I was about to reply, an officer walked in.

“Achtung!” we stood at attention. “At ease Soldiers. I have news for you. We need men at another Base. Private König and Walter, you will be transferred. Meet me in 30 Minutes. You stay here, Private James. Dismiss.”

“Barely known each other and then this. We will see each other soon or later for sure.” I was convinced.

“It was nice to know you James, bye!” Hans waved as he and Jonas leaved.

“So you joined the army only to impress me?” Sarah looked at her Husband who had an embarrassment look on his face. “Chin up; it was a good idea from you back then.” Jonas blushed.

Are you all ready, to watch the last memory?” Celestia asked. Everyone nodded. I knew what it was. My last Memory was my time with Twilight.

Germany 1960

Everyone saw me as I took a walk in the Rain. “Does the Rain not bother you?” Cadence asked me.

“I like it when it rained. Even as child I liked it. I took walks to feel better.”

“It is your most positive Memory I can feel.”

“Yes your Highness, and you will see why.” Twilight’s family watched as I found her and took care of her. Twilight’s family, Cadence and Celestia smiled. They were shocked and angry when the bullies came but smiled again, as I took care of them and comforted Twily.

They smiled all the time when I played with her and my friends. Between the two weeks, I had a conversation with Twilight as it was a hot day.

Drink a lot, and stay inside or in the shadow. I don’t want that you get a Heat Stroke or a circulatory collapse by this heat out there.”

“Yes I will drink a lot. How did you manage the heat in North Africa?”

“Stay in the shadow, drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and not make a big effort.”

“Interesting James.”

“You have a big heart. You would make a good father. Your wife would be very proud of you.” Nightlight was smiling at the sight.
The last what we saw was our little role-play.

“End of the line. Time to go.” Celestia horn glowed white.

We were back in my house. “Well it’s time to say goodbye.” I hugged Twilight. We all cried.

“I’m going to miss you all so much!”

“We will too!” I, Hans, Jonas, Sarah, Julia, Paul and Lukas said together.

“But we will always in your Heart.” I pointed to her chest. “Thank you for taking care of me James.” “And I need to thank you Twily. You helped me to defeat my depression and make me happy again.”

“What happens now? Are you wiping out our memories and erase any evidence that Twilight was here?” Hans had still tears in his eyes.

“Of course not. That would be very rude of us. Instead you all will keep it. You are all trust worthy enough. Wiping out your Memory’s, would only break your hearts. And I would never break a heart of a child or someone with a traumatic past like you, Mr. James. You all kept my student safe and for that I will always be grateful.” Even Celestia cried.

“Thank you for taking care of our Daughter.” Velvet cried too.

“Can I keep the plush toys and the Dream catcher?” Twilight looked at her parents.

“Of course Sweetie. It wouldn’t be nice if we would prohibit it, wouldn't it?” Nightlight just smiled the Toys.

Well, time for us to go home.” Celestia prepared the spell.

“Wait! Can I use the bathroom before we go?”

“But of course, my dear student.” Twilight trotted to the bathroom. As we waited for her, Hans Radio began to go off.

“14 Adam, please come in.”

“Excuse me.” Hans walked into the kitchen to respond.

I couldn’t hear what he or the radio said, until I heard an enraged, “What?! Why didn’t you have me told this sooner?!”

As he returned Jonas asked, “What is wrong buddy?” “Do you remember that Gang we did encounter in the park two weeks ago?” “Yes why?” “Their Leader has broken out of Jail, and these idiots of prisons guards reported it way too late!” He took a deep breath to calm down.

“No doubt he wants revenge.” Jonas was worried. We heard a shatter of glass from the bathroom. I, Jonas and Hans stood up and sprinted to the bathroom. Hans kicked the door open, his weapon ready. Twilight was gone, the window was destroyed. We heard squealing tires.

“Dammit!” Hans was angry. A Note was on the ground.
“If you want to see your daughter alive again, come to the old Warehouse on the outskirts ALONE. If you come with friends or alert the police, your daughter will pay with her blood! The leader.”

“Mr. James, is everything alright?” Cadence ran in. She let out a gasp once she saw the broken window. “No. NO!” She collapsed to the ground crying.

“Cadence! What is wrong?” Shining Armor was worried. As he saw the window and the note, he knew immediately what happed. “This Leader foalnapped my Sister?!” He was angry yet worried but tried to hide it. However he exclaimed it so loud that his parents heard it.

“My poor filly!” Velvet sobbed while her husband tried to comfort her.

“We must act quickly.” Celestia stayed calm.

“Yes, but first we need a plan.”

Jonas tried to think. I had already a plan. “I will go. Alone and deal with this guy once and for all!”

Author's Note:

Phew, that was the longest chapter I had wrtten so far.
Don't worry Twilight, help is on the way! Experienced Veteran vs a little experienced tennage boy. My bets on James!