• Published 9th Sep 2016
  • 1,407 Views, 34 Comments

Torn - pixelbit5



I can't keep doing this. I have to tell my friends that I'm a changeling. How will they react? But on the other hoof, if my hive finds out about my friends, I'll be exiled for sure. I guess I'll have to choose...

  • ...
3
 34
 1,407

Ch 3: A walk in the park

You know what? Buck it. I'm in a good mood for the first time in ages, and it's a beautiful day, so sure. Why the heck not. Let's go for a little wonder.

I stop about a hundred feet short of the castle and take a quick detour through a side alley and into the market street. All around me I can see ponies going about their days, hustling and bustling about, all completely oblivious to the bugpony but a few feet away from them. It's an amazing feeling, just… being here, noling paying you any attention at all. Some changelings would kill for this. Equestrians still haven't completely accepted our kind, even with the whole 'sparkly changeling' thing that went down a few months back, and ponies still tend to run screaming whenever they see our kind. Of course I'm talking about real changelings, not those sparkly hivewrecking traitors. So it feels amazing to just be here, to be treated like somepony instead of someling, and to not be seen as some… some… parasitic monster.

I just sort of walk aimlessly for a while, just soaking in the scene. There's a sort of subdued joy in the air that I can't quite catch. It's like everyone here is happy without reason, just being among friends, getting out of the house, just… being. The thought can't help but make me smile a bit. It's infectious.

Around me in the wooden stalls covered in multi-coloured tarps I can see all sorts of goods and curios that are really quite intriguing to me. One stall has boxes apon boxes of cherries, one consists entirely of lamps, another a cart filled to the brim with apples, the next topped with multi-coloured potions of all makes. I take a look at a few stalls, not really in the mood to buy anything. I mean, even if I wanted to, I couldn't. I'm still broke as heck. I don't have a job yet. Really should get on that…

Eh. Later.

This just feels… right. To see ponies passing you left and right, passing you by without a second thought. This is the life a changeling craves. Camouflaged, inconspicuous, a face in the crowd. In this moment, I'm not Peek, changeling infiltrator and minion of Queen Chrysalis, I'm Black Light the unicorn, nopony special. And I love it.

Walking past a few out of the market street, I step into the town square, the town hall, a stage of sorts, paths leaving off to every part of town, and... Oh, uh… Right. That. The Ponyville fountain. Okay, now that I'm here and not staring through the haze of my own concussive stupor, I can see exactly where I hit. And of course, just as it took a sizable chunk out of me, I took a sizable chunk out of it. There's a bit of rock missing, there are cracks webbing up its side, and some of the water is slowly leaking out. I can't help feel a little guilty. I mean, it was a conscious decision, so I can't help but take at least some responsibility.

Wait. Oh, you've got to be kidding me. Ha-ha! I thought that this was just some shiny rock! Yeah, nope. Black, a little sparkly, radiating magic energy… Yeah, that's the chunk of my horn alright. I almost didn't recognise it. It's all lumpy and misshapen like a regular changeling horn. Must have disconnected from me after it snapped off. I can't help but snicker a bit at the ridiculousness of the situation here. I pick up the chunk and press it to my forehead. Right where it belongs. Heh. Well, right about now it's pretty much useless to me beyond being a glorified paperweight with ludicrous sentimental value. Even with that, I decide to take it anyway. Still a part of me, after all. Couldn't find it in myself to leave it behind.

I look at the crash scene. Ugh. I can still feel the sickening crack of bone on stone, my horn shattering before my eyes. Yeah… Time to get that image out of my head. And now that I think about it, where the heck is my cart? I had all my stuff in that thing! I had some books, a blanket, I think there was a lamp in there somewhere, and… uh… Okay, so I was traveling light. I'm a changeling. Keep in mind here that we're not known to be the most material creatures.

Well, something to think about later. Shaking my head, I start away from the square, pushing the crash into the deepest recesses of my mind. Not something to think about now. I walk through the streets, passing rows of weirdly shaped houses, each coloured in a range of pinks and yellows, foliage hanging from windowsills and plants neatly trimmed outside the doors. I have to say, at first, the little fantasy town aesthetic kind of annoyed me, but now I find it growing on me a little. Sure, it's no changeling hive, but for now, I guess it'll make do.

I step off the dirt road and into a large field of grass, paths criss-crossing its width, trees and benches placed every so often, garden beds lined with flowers and knee high hedges. I don't know why, but it makes me want to take off, just buzz around for a bit, fly up high and watch this town pass by below me. But of course, I can't. Kinda ditched the wings when I changed, and now that I've clearly established myself as a unicorn, I'm not sure I'll be able to change back without someling noticing. I mean, these ponies are a little thick, but they're not complete idiots, as much as changelings want to believe.

I start mindlessly wandering, just sort of going wherever my hooves take me. Over here, over there, just whatever gets my attention, really. I notice a lot of things that no normal pony would even pay any mind, from the speckled shine of the sun through the leaves of trees or bees flittering around the vibrantly multi-coloured flowerbeds. It's all quite the experience.

I plonk myself down at the base of a shady tree, chuckling lightly. The hive got nothin' on this little country town. I don't know why, but this is the most content I've been since I was a grub. Just something about the way the wind whistles through the leaves or how the sky never seems to cloud over in storm, it makes me feel more at home than I ever did at the hive. The cold grey walls replaced with rolling green fields, the gnarled and dead trees of changeling country replaced with the content tranquillity of the town park, the shifting walls of the hive replaced with neat little rows of clean town houses. You know, I should get out more. Not just for assignments or anything, but just for myself, y'know? Just a little me time. Grab some bits, head someplace, Baltimare maybe, and just sort of hang there for a while. Yeah. I think that'd be nice.

I stare forwards, unfocused, lost in thought. Just sitting there half-lidded, back to a tree, almost but not quite dozing off on the cool grass, just quietly watching Ponyville go by before my eyes. But slowly, a pinkish blur works its way into my vision from above. I blink and focus, shifting my gaze to the poof of fur now residing in front of my eyeballs. Okay, right. This is possibly one of the strangest things I have ever witnessed. A bright pink earth pony is hanging in front of my face, bright pink cotton candy tail wrapped around a sturdy branch, staring at me with big blue eyes and grinning like nothing before, and I can only think one thing.

"What?"

She giggles and reaches out a hoof and sticks her tongue out booping me on the snout. I scrunch up my muzzle in response, bringing up a hoof of my own to rub my snout. "Found you." she whispers, her ears flopping in the wind. I… uh… Okay, I have no idea who this filly is, and frankly, she's weirding me out right about now. She continues to stare into my eyes and I shift uncomfortably, not sure if I should go or stay. Though I'm not completely sure what the heck is going on, I can still voice one thing.

"What?"

The filly pulls out a pink envelope decorated in hearts and stars from who knows where and holds it out to me. I hesitantly take it from the filly's hooves, who is now bouncing in place, still hanging a good two feet above the ground. Before I even get to process what the Tartarus has just happened, the pony starts to slowly rise back into the branches of the tree above me, disappearing from sight. I turn over the letter in my hooves and continue to stare at the space that the filly had just occupied. And, like some sort of broken record, I can once again only repeat my confusion.

"What?"

I stand and peer into the branches of the tree, still speckled with midday sun, but I find that the filly is nowhere in sight. I can see all the way to the other side, and no pink pony. I shake my head and step back to the base of the tree, sitting back down. I have so many questions.

I shift my gaze back to the letter, still in my hoof. I tear it open with my teeth, kinda missing my magic, and pull out the envelope. Or at least I try to. But from somewhere, I get blasted with confetti...

You know what? Not going to ask why, not going to ask how, because if I do, I think I might just start going completely insane.

I blow the confetti off my face and shake some out of my mane before pulling the letter the rest of the way out. Okay, still as pink as the envelope, and whoever that filly was, she sure was liberal with the glitter. It's almost insulting to the eye, but not quite. I scan the scratchy cursive and begin to read.

You're invited!

You've been invited to Black Light's welcome to Ponyville party!

Come to Sugarcube corner this Saturday for fun, food, games and music!
See you there!
~Pinkie Pie

I continue to stare at this brightly decorated piece of construction paper for a few more seconds, dumbfounded. I sputter and turn my gaze back to the empty space that the filly had just occupied, mouth agape. I have way too many questions to be able to put into words, but I can however articulate one single familiar word that by now has imprinted itself onto my brain.

"What?!"


The party was later that night, but I decided to push it into the back of my mind for now. I really didn't need another thing to worry about, much less a reality breaking party mare. I am going to say one thing though. Either I'm crazy, or this town is. Not really sure which at this stage. Could go either way really.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm over at the town hall to pick up the immigration package that they have reserved for me. I wrote ahead about a week before this whole ordeal started, you know, letting the Ponyvillian council know that some random unicorn was moving in. You know, this place could use some work. It looks like it's been built and re built a few too many times. Anyway, let's see here, it should be right over… Gotcha.

"Hello!"

I jump and skitter backwards. "Holy fudgesickle!" I catch myself.

"I'm quite sorry, did I startle you?" Oh my Chrysalis, lady, how thick are you? Yes. Yes you did startle me! And what the Tartarus are you even doing? You don't sneak up on a guy like that! That's just not something you do! I just… I…

I take a deep breath and regain my composure. "Yeah, sorry." I say calmly, collecting the envelope and my horn piece off the ground. Really wish I had my saddlebags. "Today's just been a bit much for me." I say with a smile. "Moving and all."

The mare's eyes widen. "You must be Black Light! I got your letter!" She ticked out a hoof. "My name is Ivory Scroll, but most just call me Mayor Mare. And I must say this it is a delight having you here." Nodding, I accept and give her a hoofshake. "Now, here I have a package reserved for you here, and all you have to do is sign off on it." she says, gesturing to the package. I nod again, almost reaching out with my magic, before remembering the whole no magic thing. I sigh, walking over to the table and pick up the pen in my mouth, scribbling my new fake signature on a line at the bottom.

Satisfied, Ivory helps me transfer the package to my back and I start heading for the door. "Don't be a stranger!" she calls after me. "Remember, you can always come find me if you have a problem, and I'll be happy to help!" Yeah, let's not do that. First off, I really don't care, and second, I think I'll be able to function on my own, thank you. I mean, come on. I'm 26.

Leaving the building with this unfamiliar weight on my withers really makes me wish I had my saddlebags. It'd just be easier to carry all this stuff I guess. You know what? I'll just drop all of this stuff off at Twilight's castle. I'm sure she won't mind. I mean, as far as I've seen so far, she doesn't mind my exploitation of her too much. Yeah. Let's do that. I mean, she clearly doesn't mind letting me stay in her home for a bit, so why not use it as a bit of an impromptu dumping ground as well?


Bonbon's bakery, that's a no, really don't see myself as any sort of baker. Ponytone A Capella group? No. Doesn't really seem much like a real job, plus I can't sing for oats. Weather crew is off the table, can't touch clouds. Farmhand at the Golden Harvest farm? Nah. Quill and sofa salesman? Yeah, that's a no. Actually still wondering why that's a thing.

"Any luck?" Twilight asks, trotting over to where I sit in her library. I shake my head, not looking up from the pamphlet.

I groan quietly. "I swear, either it's something that I have no interest in, or it's something I'm completely unqualified for!" I say, throwing my hooves up in the air. "I know that linguistics is a bit niche but there has to be something here for me!"

Sitting down on the other side of the table, Twilight hums in thought, levitating a mug of coffee over to me. "I heard The Doctor is looking for a new assistant?" she says. It's clear that it's not really a suggestion to be taken seriously, just another option that probably won't fit me. I look up from the paper. "What happened to the last one?" I ask. Twilight winces. "She…" she starts. "She's in hospital. Chemical burns." Twilight rubs her foreleg uncomfortably.

"She okay?" I ask, not just making small talk. I actually am a little worried.

Twi puts on an obviously fake smile. "Yeah. Yeah. Derpy should be fine in a few weeks." she says. I nod and take a sip from my mug. "Sure is doing a number on her daughter though…" Twilight mutters. I decide not to push it too far and turn back to the task at hoof. I swear, we'll be here all day at this rate.

Stagehand for a 'Vinyl Scratch'? Nah. Bit too in the limelight for me. Mailpony position vacant? Not really my style. Archiver for the town hall? Maybe. I'll probably have to hang around Ivory all day, but to be honest, it is the most appealing option so far. I'll consider it.

Twilight clears her throat, and I look up to meet her eyes. "Found anything yet?" she asks quietly.

I shrug. "Maybe. I might go with the archiver position at the hall, but I'm still not too sure."

Twilight scoots around the table. "Maybe you could work for me?" she says quietly, not quite meeting my eyes. "You don't have to of course," she blurts out. "I wouldn't want you to feel as if you have to or anything." She stares at the pillow beneath her and starts twiddling her hooves. "I would pay you of course," she says, beginning to regain her confidence. "Celestia knows I have too much money to know what to do with…" she mutters.

She turned back to me, a little antsy. "It would just be helping out here and there, nothing too major." She smiles. "And maybe you could even help me out on a few research projects!" she says gleefully, quietly clapping her hooves.

I mill it over in my head, taking another sip from my coffee. I weigh the pros and cons, but ultimately in the end I come to a decision.

"Ms. Sparkle," I say, sticking out my hoof. "I believe we have a deal."


She shakes my hoof with a squee. "Oh, it'll be so great to have a study-buddy!" I give a little chuckle, though I can't help ask myself what the heck I just got myself into. Hopefully I won't regret this.