• Published 4th Sep 2016
  • 659 Views, 15 Comments

Mare Do Well - Dodringo64



Strange things start happening in Ponyville when Twilight begins receiving messages from an unknown killer.

  • ...
8
 15
 659

The Crystal Massacre

It had been a whole two days since Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were struck down by the Mare Do Well and Rarity had locked herself in her boutique all this time hoping it might ease the pain. Unfortunately, her friends needed all the help they could get against Mare Do Well.

"Rarity, please! We need your help if we are going to stop this from happening to any other ponies!" Twilight shouted, hoping that something could be done to get her out.

Rarity yelled from inside the boutique. "NO! My sister is dead as well as her friend and I have no idea what to tell our parents. I'm not leaving, there's nothing we can do about that monster anyway."

"Applejack, can you try talking to her?" Twilight asked.

"I'm not sure if that's a good idea, my sister was left alive and her's is dead, she can't be too happy about that." Applejack said. She was right, the Mare Do Well had left Apple Bloom alive as some sort of gift.

"Can anypony help?" Twilight begged.

Starlight walked up to the boutique. "Look Rarity, I know it's hard. We lost Rainbow, then the Cakes and now your sister. I can't imagine what you are going through, but if we can end this now, you will have done right by Sweetie Belle."

"Please Rarity, just do this. Not only for us but for any other pony who might also be in danger." Spike said, also walking up to the boutique.

The door to Carousel Boutique opened and Rarity walked out. "Fine. I'll help. You need to understand though, I'm doing this for Sweetie Belle now." Rarity said.

"We understand. Now, we need to find the Mare Do Well, we haven't heard from him since the murder." Twilight said. Everyone left for the castle to prepare for the inevitable.


When everyone had arrived back at the castle, there was only one thing on Twilight's mind... one thing she had to do.

"We need to contact Princess Celestia. It's the only way." Twilight said. Everyone agreed that it was the only option at this point.

"Are you sure, Twilight? What if this is what the Mare Do Well wants? Who's to say it won't kill somepony else if you do contact the princess." Applejack stated.

"I know. I've thought about that and as bad as it sounds, we might have to take that risk. Spike...take a letter." Twilight said. Spike began to take down Twilight's words.

"Dear Princess Celestia, you probably don't know what's going on in Ponyville right now, and it's not good at all. There's a killer and he has murdered Rainbow Dash as well as the Cakes and Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo." Once Twilight had mentioned Sweetie Belle, Rarity began to burst into tears. "the killer sent a message telling us not to contact you but we have no other choice right now. Please, you need to get here, but be careful. Whoever it is, they are dangerous." Twilight thought for a moment about whether sending the message was a good idea, but what other choice do they have? "Spike, send it...now!" Spike sent the letter. All they had to do now was wait and hope that Celestia could help.

"Okay, let's just go over this one more time. We know that whoever this is, they have to be a Unicorn. That much is obvious." Twilight said, hoping for some answers.

"Twilight, have you thought about the idea that it could be an Alicorn? It's not completely impossible." Rarity said.

"I don't think so. It's a possibility but there's no motivation for Celestia, Luna or Cadence to do anything like this." Twilight said.

"Oooh, maybe they're a ghost! Or a zombie!" Pinkie shouted.

"I really doubt it Pinkie." Twilight said.

"You know, I like Rarity's idea. It's not a stretch to assume that an Alicorn could be behind this." Applejack said.

"Well, it can't be Celestia or me, obviously. It can't be Cadence since it was her's and Shining Armour's anniversary so...Luna? But that doesn't make any sense!" Twilight yelled. Could it really be Luna?

Before Twilight could get another word in, however, Spike began to receive another message. Twilight was just hoping that this was a reply from Celestia. It would make sense that she would want to take immediate action. "Who's it from, Spike?" Twilight asked.

"Uh-oh! You're not going to like this, Twilight!" Spike shouted. Twilight grabbed the letter and began to read aloud.

Hello Twilight,

I warned you that if you contacted the princess that somepony would get hurt, and that somepony just so happens to be here in the Crystal Empire! This is it, Twilight, the moment you've been waiting for! It's our final showdown! I'm looking forward to ending your reign, Miss Sparkle, I just hope you'll be willing to pay the price! I'm going to make sure I hit where it hurts this time.

"This is really not good! You were right, Applejack! It probably has Cadence or worse, my brother!" Twilight said, shocked and scared.

"Oh, this is bad, very bad! I will not sit around and let you lose a loved one and have to deal with the pain of it! We are leaving for the Crystal Empire right this instant!" Rarity yelled before making her way to the station.

"...she's right, everyone. I said this would end today, and it will. Now...who's with me?" Twilight said.

"YEAH!" Everyone yelled as they left for the station. However, Twilight stayed behind to talk to Spike before they left.

"Spike, stay here. You'll be okay on your own, I know it. Just be on guard, okay." Twilight said to Spike.

"Sure thing, Twilight. I'll keep the castle safe!" Spike said and left to do what it was Spike did when Twilight wasn't here.

Twilight and her remaining friends left for the station and boarded the last train of the day leaving for The Crystal Empire. Twilight knew it was dangerous, but they had no other choice.


After a long, intense journey to the Crystal Empire, they had arrived. Twilight wasted no time getting to the castle.

"We need to go right now!" She yelled, dashing off as everypony followed. As they began to approach the castle, everything seemed normal...too normal.

"Is it just me or is it too calm here?" Starlight wondered.

"Let's just get into the castle and find out for ourselves!" Twilight said. She was determined to end this now more than ever. When they had entered the castle, Twilight and her friends began to call for Cadence and Shining Armour.

"Shining Armour! SHINING ARMOUR! Where are you!?" Twilight yelled.

"Princess Cadence!? Where are you?" Rarity and the others were also yelling. As they walked through the castle, they noticed scraps of clothing on the ground.

"This was from the Mare Do Well! I just know it. It must have been injured in some kind of struggle." Twilight and her friends continued on. As they reached the main hall, they could her the cries of a familiar voice...Princess Cadence!

Everypony ran into the main hall and their eyes immediately turned to Princess Cadence, who was tied up in the middle of the hall. "Twilight! You're here! You have to go, right now! Whatever it wants, you can't be here to find out what that is, please!" Cadence yelled, however, Twilight wasn't listening. Twilight immediately began to untie Cadence.

"I can't leave you, Cadence! Not after everything that's happened, I'll explain later! Where's Shining Armour!?" Twilight asked, frantically.

"I-I don't know." Cadence said, looking around. Suddenly, the doors to the room burst open with a crash. It was the Mare Do Well. Twilight wasn't able to untie Cadence in time.

"WELL, WELL. WHAT DO WE HAVE HERE? TWO DEAR PRINCESSES AND THEIR FRIENDS, I WONDER HOW THEY SCREAM!" The Mare Do Well said, pacing around.

"You don't have to do this, just let Cadence and my brother go!" Twilight pleaded.

"I MADE A PROMISE TO YOU TWILIGHT, THAT I WOULD MAKE SURE YOU FELT PAIN, THAT YOU WOULD LOSE EVERYTHING YOU HOLD DEAR! WELL, TODAY IS THAT DAY!" Twilight looked around.

"Where's Shining Armour? What have you done with him!?" Twilight yelled.

"DON'T WORRY YOUR PRETTY LITTLE HEAD, HE'S AS SAFE AS SAFE CAN BE. ALTHOUGH, I CAN'T SAY THE SAME FOR HIM OR ANY OF YOU SOON!" Twilight knew she just had to stall it.

"I've already told Princess Celestia about this, it won't be long before your time is up!" Twilight said, threateningly. The Mare Do Well laughed.

"HAHAHAHA! IF YOU THINK PRINCESS CELESTIA SCARES ME, THEN YOU ARE DEAD WRONG! CELESTIA HAD BEEN DEALT WITH, YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT!" The Mare Do Well said. Twilight was horrified.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HER!? Where is she!?" Twilight yelled, her hooves shaking.

"SAFE...UNLIKE YOUR LITTLE CADENCE HERE. POOR, POOR CADENCE...SO INNOCENT, SO ROYAL. IT REALLY IS A SHAME TO SEE YOU GO." Cadence was not looking as the Mare Do Well paced around her.

"...I do not care what you do to me, but let my husband and the Princess live. That is all I ask." Cadence said.

"Don't talk like that! We can get through this!" Twilight shouted.

The Mare Do Well whispered into Cadence's ear, however, it was too quiet for Twilight to make out. "DON'T WORRY, PRINCESS. I'LL MAKE SURE YOU ALL GET WHAT'S COMING TO YOU, ANYTHING FOR TWILIGHT!"

"NO!!!" Cadence yelled."YOU CAN'T!!"

"TWILIGHT!!" The Mare Do Well yelled as Twilight watched on in horror. "SO SORRY IT HAD TO END THIS WAY!" The Mare Do Well once again used it's magic and drove it's knife straight towards Cadence. "GOODBYE, PRINCESS MI AMORE CADENZA." It spoke.

Before the knife could plunge into Cadence's heart, Twilight shot a blast of energy at the Mare Do Well, hoping for a miracle. It flew him away from Cadence and made the knife fall to the ground. As the Mare Do Well got up, it picked up the knife again.

"TWILIGHT SPARKLE, YOU NEVER FAIL TO AMAZE ME! I CAN'T WAIT TO LOOK DOWN ON YOUR CORPSE!" The Mare Do Well yelled as it turned the knife away from Cadence and began to send it straight towards Twilight's heart.

However, before the knife hit her, Twilight yelled as there was no running from this one. "LUNA!" She yelled. "Why are you doing this? What have we done to you?" The knife had stopped.

"H-HA-HAHA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! OH, TWILIGHT. AS IF YOU WOULD THINK I WAS PRINCESS LUNA OF ALL PONIES! I THOUGHT YOU WERE SMARTER THAN THIS, I THOUGHT YOU WOULD HAVE FIGURED IT OUT BY NOW. HAVE YOU?" Twilight was confused. She still had no idea who this killer was.

"Then tell me who you are. Who is the pony beneath this costume?" Twilight asked. If she had to die, she wanted to know by who's hoof.

"AND TO THINK I THOUGHT YOU KNEW. I GIVE YOU WAY TOO MUCH CREDIT, TWILIGHT...OR SHOULD I SAY, TWILY?" At that moment, it all clicked inside of Twilight's mind. She knew.

"Please tell me it's not you." Twilight said, tears beginning to stream down her face.

"BINGO, TWILIGHT." The Mare Do Well said as it began to remove the costume that had plagued them for so long.