• Published 4th Sep 2016
  • 660 Views, 15 Comments

Mare Do Well - Dodringo64



Strange things start happening in Ponyville when Twilight begins receiving messages from an unknown killer.

  • ...
8
 15
 660

Accusations

"Whoever this Mare Do Well is, they are destroying us! First they kill Rainbow, then they butcher Mr and Mrs Cake right in front of me and now they have Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo!!" Twilight trotted frantically around the castle hoping to come up with an idea on how to stop the Mare Do Well.

"I just can't believe they're actually g-gone! The B-Baby Cakes as well!" Pinkie cried, still upset after what happened to who was practically her family.

Applejack began to comfort Pinkie. "I know, Pinkie. It must be hard to deal with this, especially so soon after dealing with Rainbow, but right now we really have to focus on our main concern, getting our three fillies back!"

"Agreed. I just don't know how we're going to do that! The Mare Do Well could have taken them anywhere at this point and we don't have the time to be searching the whole of Equestria for them, they'll be killed before we get the chance!" Twilight wasn't sure what to do, and the fact that the CMC could be anywhere didn't help.

"It wouldn't be too much of a leap to assume that they're still inside Ponyville. It makes sense that the Mare Do Well would still be here." Starlight said.

"You know, you might be right, Starlight! Although, it might not be such a good idea to split up in case the Mare Do Well comes back. I'll take Starlight and go and check the Everfree Forest. Pinkie and Rarity, you go and check the east side of Ponyville. Applejack and Fluttershy, you head off to the North and see what you can find. Spike, you stay here and keep this place secure!" Twilight ordered.

"Aye-aye, Captain!" Spike said. Over in the corner, Pinkie was still crying uncontrollably.

"Noooo, why did they h-have to g-g-go! It's too much!!" Pinkie cried. It seemed to be too much for her.

"Alright, come on then darling. Even Fluttershy isn't as upset as you, which kind of surprises me. Anyway, let's go." Rarity said, trying to cheer Pinkie up.

"O-okay." Pinkie agreed, having finally stopped crying.

"Alright then, if we don't find anything within one hour, we'll come back here and think of something!" Twilight said before everyone rushed out to search for the three fillies.


Twilight and Starlight fought their way through the Everfree Forest, searching for any sort of clue that would help them find the CMC.
"I'm sorry I decided to bring you here, especially after what you went through with Rainbow. I understand how hard that must have been for you." Twilight said to Starlight.

"No, it's alright. It was really hard to watch, though. I feel like the only reason I'm still dealing with it is because I know that we need to stop this Mare Do Well. Hey Twilight, what even is the Mare Do Well in the first place?" Starlight asked.

"Well, it was before you came here, but basically Rainbow started to view herself as better than others because she had saved a bunch of ponies, so we dressed as that thing to show her up. The only thing is, that was a team effort. I don't know how this Mare Do Well is doing all of this." Twilight explained.

"I see. Twilight, what if we're too late? What if the Cutie Mark Crusaders are already dead?" Starlight said, looking worried.

"Don't think like that, Starlight! We'll find them, and get rid of that Mare Do Well!" Twilight said. They had already passed Zecora's house and went deeper into the Forest since that's where Rainbow was killed.

"So Twilight, who do you think it is? Doing the killing, I mean." Starlight asked.

"I wish I knew. All I can tell is that from what you told me, it must be someone Rainbow knew when it told her it's name, but that could be anypony!" Twilight said, still puzzled at who could be committing these crimes. "I don't think we're going to find anything! Where could that Mare Do Well have taken them!? We really need to find them soon or who knows what's going to happen to them!?" Twilight and Starlight began to head back to the castle.

"There is still one thing that I don't get, though. Why did the killer let me go? I mean, I was right there and for all they knew, I could have told anypony!" Starlight said.

"Yeah, that is weird. It's almost as if the killer needed you for something. I mean, it's stupid, but the only logical explanation I can think of is....w-w-wait...no." Twilight said, with a shocked look.

"What is it, Twilight? What's wrong?" Starlight asked. Twilight began to back away.

"It's you...i-it has to be. You weren't killed and your magic explains how there can be two of you. Plus, after everything you did in the past, it explains why you'd want revenge!? Oh no...it's you!" Twilight ran straight back to the castle while Starlight followed.

"WAIT, TWILIGHT! PLEASE!" Starlight yelled as she tried to catch up with Twilight.


Twilight burst back into the castle. "Spike, we need to go right now! It's Starlight! She's the killer!" She yelled.

"Twilight, wait. Slow down, Starlight is the killer!? Are you serious?" Spike said, not sure what to think.

"YES!" Twilight said quickly. She was about to lock the doors to the castle before Starlight came bursting in.

"Twilight, please wait! I promise you I'm not the killer, why would you think that!?" Twilight began to back away.

"Because you're still alive, why didn't it kill you, then!?" Twilight was backed into a wall.

"I promise, I don't know Twilight. I know you're scared, and that it's easy to accuse anyone right now, but the Crusaders are still out there." Twilight didn't know what to think.

"But Rainbow's dead and the Crusaders are probably going to be killed if we don't find them soon. If you were the killer, it would make sense! You were acting weird the day Rainbow died, and you weren't killed!" Twilight said.

"Twilight, please! I was acting weird the other day because I was going to the Crystal Empire. Shining Armour sent me a message and called me over there for some reason, but before I could get on the train, I was taken into the forest, and just because I wasn't killed does not mean I am a killer! Please Twilight, just trust me. We need to find the Crusaders, NOW!" Twilight looked at Starlight.

"Fine...I trust you. Let's go." Twilight said. However, before they were able to leave, Spike began to feel another message.

"Um, guys!" Spike said. Twilight turned around.

"What? Another letter?" Twilight wondered. Twilight instantly grabbed the letter.

Hello again, Twilight.

It looks like you and your friends are still searching for your little fillies. Time is running out, Twilight. Or is my little game getting the better of you? It doesn't matter. Either way I win! As a token of my good will, however, let me just say you might want to head back to the forest. I'm waiting, Twilight.

"We need to head back to the forest. Starlight, go and get the others and meet me in the forest, we are ending this today!" Twilight said.

"Right." Starlight began to head out.

"Oh, and Starlight. I'm sorry I doubted you." Starlight smiled as she left.


Everypony was gathered in the Everfree Forest having just passed Zecora's house. It wasn't long before they were about to come face-to-face with the killer.

"Wait, so you thought that Starlight was the killer? That's crazy!" Applejack said.

"I know, but they have to be up ahead. If we're all together, then it's as good as over!" Twilight said.

"YEAH!" Shouted everypony.

"Are you sure Spike will be okay on his own in the castle?" Rarity said, worried.

"If the killer wants me to play his little game, then so be it. He'll be here." Twilight said. She knew that she was walking into a trap, but it was the only way to save the Crusaders.

As the ponies walked on through the forest, they began to hear the shouts of ponies, no...fillies!

"Sweetie Belle!?" Rarity yelled, dashing off toward the sound.

"Apple Bloom!"Applejack yelled, also leaving.

"Wait, it's not safe!"Twilight yelled, also dashing off with Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie.

When Twilight arrived at the source of the noise, she saw Rarity and Applejack on their knees. The Cutie Mark Crusaders were being held by the Mare Do Well as it held a knife up to each pony.

"You can't do this, you monster!!" Rarity shouted.

"I'll kill ya! I'll make sure you never harm nopony ever again!" Applejack shouted, scared to move.

"What do I do?" Twilight said. She seemed helpless knowing the the Mare Do Well could kill them at any moment. "Just tell me what you want!?"

Just then, unexpectedly, the Mare Do Well spoke to here. It's voice was distorted, so it sounded like no pony Twilight had ever heard. "CHOOSE, TWILIGHT. YOU MUST ENJOY MAKING DECISIONS AS THE PRINCESS OF FRIENDSHIP, SO CHOOSE WHICH LITTLE FILLY GETS TO LIVE."

Twilight didn't know what to say. "What? I can't do that! Who are you?"

"THAT IS FOR ME TO KNOW AND FOR YOU TO LEARN SOON ENOUGH, TWILIGHT. NOW...CHOOSE, OR I WILL CHOOSE FOR YOU!" The Mare Do Well took a step closer to the fillies.

"Twilight, you can't do this! P-please!!" Applejack cried.

"It doesn't matter what I do, it's going to kill them either way...aren't you!" Twilight was about to cry, knowing full well there wasn't anything she could do.

"BINGO!" The Mare Do Well yelled. It went over and picked up Apple Bloom. "TELL YOU WHAT, IT'S YOUR LUCKY DAY!" The Mare Do Well threw Apple Bloom to Applejack, letting her live.

"Apple Bloom, RUN!" Applejack yelled. Apple Bloom ran back to Sweet Apple Acres as fast as she could.

"Sh-sh-she left us?" Scootaloo cried.

"Don't do this! You want me, take me." Twilight said, stepping forward for the Mare Do Well.

"I APPRECIATE THE OFFER, BUT IT IS NOT YOUR TIME, TWILIGHT SPARKLE!" The Mare Do Well took his two knives and with a flick of it's horn, sent them flying into Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo's hearts, leaving them to bleed in the forest.

"NOOO! YOU MONSTER!" Rarity began to attack the Mare Do Well, but it had already took off. It was gone. Rarity started to cry furiously as her sister along with her friend lie dead in front of her. "I WILL KILL THAT PONY!"

"I-I'm so sorry, Rarity." Twilight said, crying. There was no point holding it in any longer. "We need to end this." Twilight said, knowing that this game couldn't go on any longer. Princess Celestia had to know.