• Published 31st Aug 2016
  • 543 Views, 9 Comments

High Fashion, High Noon - GJT_Productions



An attack on a boutique in Canterlot triggers the emergence of a new Agents of Chaos threat!

  • ...
1
 9
 543

The Mysterious Mr. Hoofer

"'Hoofer', or 'Mr. Hoofer' if you prefer - that's the codename for the head of the Equestrian Intelligence Agency. And that is very bad news."

"Captain, are you seriously suggesting that the head of the EIA conducted a strike against my assigned charges?!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Captain of the Canterlot Guard Gibraltar could hardly fault Lieutenant Captain Shining Armor's disbelieving tone and shocked expression, but remained unfazed as he continued the briefing in his office: "What I'm saying, Shining, is that we have traitors in the EIA. And that means we can't even trust our own intelligence reports anymore. We're fighting the Agents of Chaos blind!"

"I don't understand how this could happen, sir. Every member of that organization is sworn in by Celestia personally, and that oath is renewed every few years!" Shining Armor exclaims in horrified disbelief.

"You're forgetting how hot the passions of pegasi run, as well as the shadowy nature of the enemy we face." Gibraltar solemnly replies. "Know this though, Shining. The current 'Mr. Hoofer', although a unicorn, has supported Lieutenant Captain Aten for a long time, almost from the time Aten emerged as a Lieutenant crusading against the supposed inequalities in the officer composition."

"I never heard anything like that before!" Shining exclaims again, the shock still on his face.

"Of course you wouldn't have had. Besides the usual media blocks on inquiring about the stallion under the code name of 'Mr. Hoofer', Celestia had the knowledge of his support deliberately suppressed. Until now, only Celestia and myself knew about his support."

"... I dread the potential implications of that statement, sir."

"As do I. I do have a double agent embedded in the enemy ranks, and as of now that is the only source of enemy activity I will trust in the future. Even if 'Mr. Hoofer' isn't involved with the enemy directly, his support of Aten will have created holes in his loyalty to Equestria. He might even be the elusive leader called 'Agent Snake', considering there's some similarities between the conduct of the two ponies."

"What about Celestia? What's she going to do, sir?"

"As of right now, she's a bit stunned herself. I'm hoping I can get some confirmation from the double agent, either up or down about the worst-case scenario. Once that happens though, she will not hesitate in doing what is necessary to protect her kingdom."

Shining Armor takes in the full weight of Gibraltar's sternness - such treachery from a high position as the head of the EIA could mean another public execution. And he feared what the public opinion implications of such treatment would mean...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LATER...

"Drip, drip, drip... there are leaks in our ranks, leaks that will be plugged by any means necessary!" the disguised Agent Snake was shouting in his cavern office to the pegasi in front of him.

All the major members of the planned Operation Whirlwind - all numbers 11 and higher that were currently still in active service, as well as WA and WD from the Wonderbolts - were present at this "high priority meeting", apparently called in the wake of the attack on Hoity Toity's business. And the tone of Snake's voice made it clear he was very agitated - perhaps an indication of things not having gone as planned.

"Double agents and leakers will not be tolerated! To that end, I am using Agent X as my 'plumber', to close any leaks that might be found. If any double agents and leakers of information are found in my ranks, they will be meant with a most summary punishment! Is this understood?" Snake lectures.

The entire group nods grimly - "summary punishment" almost certainly would've meant a quick death in this case. It seems their former records of loyalty would not protect them now, and even friendship might've been beyond capability of saving them. All had to be cautious. All had to be prepared to backstab a fellow pony. And most of all, they had to have faith that whatever they were doing, it would not lead them to a terrible fate, from one side or the other...