• Published 27th Aug 2016
  • 433 Views, 5 Comments

A Rainbow in the Dark - Misty Green



Data Swift, the lone stallion and embodiment of balance, finds himself as the center of Equestria's fate... again. Which is made all the harder when his need to maintain balance is clouded by his want to transcend good, especially for his beloved.

  • ...
 5
 433

Taken

Author's Note:

A bit of a warning:
Shit ain't gonna make sense at first.

Enjoy!

In a clearing within the Everfree Forest, far from all civilization, shadows had begun to collect under the moonlight. They flowed in from random directions as if they were snakes drawn in by an unseen force. Over the course of three nights, they slithered their way to the center of the clearing where they melted together, shaping themselves until they appeared as the shadow of a single stallion, cast on an invisible wall.

But on the approach of midnight of the final day, the shadow opened its piercing green eyes as the last of the snakes made its way through the clearing. The surrounding trees began to bend into the clearing, pulled by some unseen force as they creaked and groaned in protest. The ground was also quaking, adding a deep rumble to symphony of creaks, but the air on the other hoof grew still and heavy.

It was when this slithering shadow joined its brethren that the stallion began to glow, growing in intensity with the passing moments. Brighter and brighter it grew, until finally it burst, releasing the creaking trees from their paranormal restraints, and calming the rumbling earth. A maniacal chuckle was audible under the blinding light, and continued as it dissipated, revealing the regal king of shadow himself. Sombra had returned.

"Did they really think a simple crystal could dispose of me?" He Laughed. "Now that I have finally reformed, I can have my revenge on the tiny dragon who did that to me."

He paused, frowning. "No. That's twice now I've been defeated. I need to be stronger if I'm to reach my ends unchallenged."

A smile spread itself on his face. Giggles emanated from his throat. "And I know just how to do it!" He released a fresh wave of laughter as dark crystals sprout from the ground around him, and grew to form a castle that consumed the clearing.

---A few months later---

"I don't get it Spike. Why here, why Ponyville?" Twilight inquired. She was in her castle in Ponyville, sitting in her throne with spike right beside her.

"I don't know Twilight." Spike said with annoyance. He was resting his chin on the table like a bored school pony.

"There has to be a reason why that chest built my castle in Ponyville."

"Well, why don't you ask it then?"

Twilight Sparkle glared at Spike, "Realy?"

"I'm sorry Twilight, but don't you think you're thinking way too hard about this?"

"I don't know. Maybe I am, but I just can't help but think about how strangely placed my castle is."

Spike sat up. "Maybe you should get some rest, it's getting pretty late."

"You know, you're right. Sleep always helps when it comes to solving problems."

Spike rolled his eyes as he stood. He made his way through the door with Twilight just behind, and together, they climbed the stairs to Twilight's room. Since Twilight got her new castle, Spike could've found his own room to sleep in. But he hadn't yet grown used to sleeping in his own room, and for that Twilight was thankful.

She was silently nostalgic for her old home. She wished she hadn't teleported to Golden Oak Library when she fought Tirek. Maybe then it would've been left alone. But isn't this what every filly dreams of? To live in a castle of her own? To run a kingdom where her every whim would be accepted without question?

Twilight is living this dream (or most of it anyway, for she'd rather not be pampered by guards), but tonight she wished she wasn't. Maybe that's why she started looking into her castle's placement, to criticize her unwanted home. Maybe she truely was thinking too hard about it, but she just couldn't get past how unfair it felt.

When they'd reached her room, she crawled into bed. "Don't stay up too late reading Power Ponies, Spike."

"I won't Twilight," He promised as he opened the latest issue of the comic.

Funny thing was, Spike fell asleep long before Twilight did. She tossed and turned for seemingly forever, fighting her adamant grief for her home. She'd growled with frustration until she'd managed to repress her feelings, and closed her eyes.

She didn't even get one measly hour.

She was awoken by Spike's whimpering. Twilight began to seethe. First her own mind wouldn't let her sleep, but now Spike! She turned to ask Spike to quiet down, but instead found Sombra standing before the now open window, holding Spike with his telekinesis. Spike had been gagged.

Twilight's annoyance turned to shock. "H-how..."

"Don't worry my princess," Sombra mused, "I'm only borrowing your friend here for a little while."

"Not if I can help it." Twilight recovered from her shock. Spending years protecting Equestria can do that.

Sombra only laughed. "I admire your courage," He said while walking towards Twilight. "but you can't even hope to defeat me." He then cast his nightmare spell on Twilight, petrifying her where she stood.

Once the spell wore off, the emotional roller coaster Twilight rode corkscrewed into panic. She flew out the open window in search of Sombra. She looked in every direction she could think of, but in vain. She wasn't good a tracking, nor did she know if Sombra simply teleported away! She needed help.

She turned to the first place she could think of, and teleported to each of her friends' houses to wake them, and to teleport them to their new throne room.

"What in tarnation is this all about Twilight?" Applejack exclaimed between Twilight's flashing in and out of existence.

"It's Spike! He was taken by Sombra!"

"Woah, woah, woah," Said Rainbow Dash while rubbing sleep from her eyes, "Are we talking about the same Sombra who took over the Crystal Empire?"

"Yes, and he took Spike!"

Pinkie Pie joined in, "Then which way did he go? I'll teach king meany face to kidnap baby dragons if it's the last thing I do!"

"That's the thing. He used his nightmare spell on me before leaving. I haven't the faintest clue where they wen't"

"Don't worry darling," Rarity reassured, obviously amused by the situation. After all, Sombra wasn't at all the hardest foe they'd faced. "We'll find Spike. We just gotta do a little searching is all."

"But we don't even know which direction he went in. How are we supposed to track them down without even knowing what direction they went in!?"

"I could start asking some of the birds around here to..." Fluttershy offered before Rainbow cut her off.

"Hold that thought Fluttershy!" She was pointing at thin air. "Is that a green flame I see."

To their amazement, the small fire appeared and transformed into a piece of parchment in front of Twilight. Using her Telekinesis, She held it up to read, "Sombra took me to the Everfree Forest."

Twilight sneered. Crafty dragon, she thought as her smile contorted in anger. Then she said aloud, "Come on girls, let's go get our friend."

"But, Twilight," Rarity asked, "doesn't this seem at all out of place to you?"

Twilight noticed the suspicion in her friends eyes. It was equal to the worry in them as well, but she herself was too panicked to pay it any thought. "How couldn't this be Spike?" She asked. "I don't know any other creature capable of sending letters this way."

"I don't know Twilight," Pinkie stated. "This sits about as well as tired Applejack's muffins."

"There's no doubt in my mind that it is Spike. Now, let's go girls. I don't think we have any time!" Twilight exclaimed as she bolted out the door. Her friends shared a glance at each other, than galloped after her.