• Published 14th Oct 2016
  • 359 Views, 2 Comments

Crowded - Jesse Coffey



Family members struggle to get along in an area where no space can be accumulated.

  • ...
7
 2
 359

Seven

''Hello, Joe, how are ya?'' greets one of the Manehattan Eye Exam workers as I head off to work on Friday. I'm off to Mr. Saqua's office now. But, bear with me, Mr. Saqua isn't too happy with what I did even though my review's been published for all of Manehattan to see.

''LISTEN UP JOE! 40 bits?! 40 GODDAMN BITS ON THAT CRUD?''

''It wasn't crud. It was great.''

Mr. Saqua didn't seem to think so, and thus said to me, ''Kid, you weren't allowed to bring ANYBODY but yourself to that concert. It's our company policy, remember?''

''Um . . . um . . . WHAT'S WRONG WITH BRINGING THE FAMILY OVER?! If Countess Coloratura doesn't mind my doing so, why do you?''

''GRR! Because it's our company policy! We're loners, so you should be one too.''

Mr. Saqua goes on, ''Mr. Blazinsky . . . ''

''Blazer.''

'' . . . whatever, YOU'RE FIRED! And don't ever to seek employment around here again. And as for that thing you wrote, I'm gonna tell all my staff to stop printing it.''


Horrified at Mr. Saqua's move, I stand on the paper's courtyard outside the building itself. Watching all the cars and ponies go by, I sing a melody out of Stephen Sondheim's songbook called ''Send In The Clowns''.

Then one of the cars stops, neatly parked near the building. It's Countess Coloratura. Countess is like ''What happened with you?''

''I was fired from that building for spending 40 bits on your wonderful show.''

''You have a great voice, Mr. Blazer. You'd be a great star. Anyways, I thought about your whole situation, having a crowded house and thought about helping out with your problem. Meet me at my house later tonight.''

''Can't. It's shabbat.''

''Oh. Tomorrow night then.''

''Deal made, Countess. Deal made.''

Author's Note:

SEND IN THE CLOWNS
by Stephen Sondheim
from the musical production ''A Little Night Music''