• Published 16th Aug 2016
  • 17,839 Views, 389 Comments

Fall Apart - Shimmer Shy



The Crusaders don't admit to being Anon-a-miss, and, feeling as though she's no longer wanted in the human world, Sunset goes back to Equestria. Little does she know, Canterlot High falls apart without her and its connection to Equestria.

  • ...
21
 389
 17,839

"It Wasn't Us!"

"What?!" Sunset Shimmer stared at the three younger girls in shock. Each of them had a similar look of surprise on their faces, one of which was meant to seem innocent. But a hint of guilt tugged at the edges, barely noticeable. "But...I was sure-"

"Cut the act, Sunset," Rainbow Dash growled. "Can't you just be honest with us for once?"

"I'm trying! You guys don't under-"

"Gosh, girl! Quit the lyin'!" Sunset's efforts to defend herself were cut off by Applejack, who sighed. "Tell you what. You tell us all the truth, take down 'Anon-a-miss's' page, 'n all will be forgiven."

Sunset's hands were balled up into fists as she tried to conceal her rage. She couldn't understand why they didn't believe her. Did they not see that she had changed? Had she not proven herself to be trustworthy? Apparently not.

Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath and let herself relax. "I have told you once, and I will tell you again. I am not 'Anon-a-miss'. Now, you can believe them-" She gestured to Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo, who had been shooting each other terrified glances throughout the argument, and who were suddenly drawn to attention. "-and avoid me for the rest of your lives, or you can believe me and give me a chance to prove myself."

Rarity spoke up. "I'm sorry, Sunset, darling, but I'm afraid there is nothing to prove. I know my little sister well enough to know she'd never do anything like this, and I'm sure her friends wouldn't, either. There's no reason for them to."

Though Sunset hated to admit it, Rarity had a point. There was no logical reason for them to frame her. None that she could see, at least. But they had to be behind this; there was no other way. She knew she herself was not responsible, surely none of her friends-or, ex-friends-were, and no one else could have gotten the pictures and secrets. If only she could find a way to expose the three...

"Well, Sunset, I guess you have our answer," Applejack frowned and turned away from her, crossing her arms.

"Yeah. I think it's best if you just leave. Now." Rainbow's harsh tone left Sunset dumbfounded. She wanted to be trusted again-she really did-but that seemed impossible now. Her own friends had turned on her, and there was nothing she could do.

Sunset could tell she was no longer wanted here. "Fine. I-I guess I will," she said, her voice wavering slightly. And with that, she turned and walked away. The café had grown dead-silent. The only sounds that could be heard were the click of Sunset's heels on the tile floor and the ring of the little bell above the door as it closed behind her.

Outside, the blizzard-like snowfall had slowed to a small flurry. The half-foot deep snow crunched under Sunset's boots as she slid away from the café windows and leaned against a brick building beside it. Her mittened hands moved up and down her arms, trying to both warm her and comfort her. It wasn't hard to see she was holding back tears.

Well, here I am again, she thought to herself, looking up at the sky and letting snowflakes gently land on her face. Cold and alone on the holidays. Just like old times, huh?

She took in a breath and held it, internally chastising herself for even thinking about that. Her friends would get over it eventually and figure out she wasn't who they thought. But she still couldn't get over the fact that the Crusaders were 'Anon-a-miss', let alone that they had lied about it. She saw them as family just as much as Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash did. She couldn't imagine why they'd do this to her.

But what if they never find the truth? Sunset wondered. Where else can I go?

Just at that moment, she felt a buzzing at her side, and when she looked down, she saw her orange bag was vibrating. She reached in and grabbed her glowing book and a pen, opening up the book to the page her conversation with Twilight had left off. New words had appeared on the page.

Hey, Sunset. Is everything ok? Did you clear up the whole 'Anon-a-miss' thing with the girls?

Sunset sighed and put her pen to the paper, supporting the book with her left hand and writing with her right.

Not exactly. I think talking to them just made things worse. I did figure out who Anon-a-miss really is, though.

Really? Who?

The Cutie Mark Crusaders, but they won't admit it.

Are you sure it's them?

Positive.

There was a pause.

Twi, are you still there?

Yeah. Just...thinking.

Can I tell you something?

Anything.

Well, I don't think I want to go to Canterlot High anymore. I don't want to be somewhere where everyone hates me. Not again. But I don't exactly have anywhere else to go.

You could always come back to Equestria.

Another pause.

I guess so. Do you think Princess Celestia would accept me?

Of course! Celestia misses you so much! Besides, I'm sure she forgave you a very long time ago. I can get the portal open for you, if you do want to come home.

Sunset closed the book for a moment to think, which was hard to do in the freezing snow. She looked at her options. If she did decide to go back, she'd have a chance to restart with Princess Celestia and she would be back home, which she missed greatly. And she could always come back if things didn't work out. If she stayed, she might be able to get her friends back on her side, but that still left a whole school against her. The answer seemed as obvious as anything, but Sunset was still hesitant to write it down.

Alright. I'll be there.

Great! I guess I'll see you later, then?

I guess you will.

Sunset smiled as she closed the book once again. She couldn't believe she was actually going home. It made her happy and nervous at the same time as she put the book away and walked back towards Canterlot High. When she passed the café, she quickly glanced in. The five girls were chatting together as if nothing had happened. Sunset continued on her way.

When she got to the high school, she quickly spotted the Wondercolts statue, right in the middle of the front yard. She touched a finger to the stone to check if the portal was open. Sure enough, her whole hand went through as if the statue wasn't even there. With a deep breath and a muttered reassurance, she finally had the courage to step through.

Author's Note:

Thanks so much for reading! I hope to continue this story, and I really hope you enjoyed! Chapter two will be up soon!:pinkiehappy: