• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 1,844 Views, 28 Comments

Saving Their Souls - Clever Name



A nameless human and his two friends save Equestria.

  • ...
7
 28
 1,844

6: Today

As soon as her name left my mouth the scarlet Mare ran up to me and gave me the biggest hug she could manage. As if she was trying to recive all the affection from me I had been unable to give her while we were seperated, and I was glad to give it to her. I looked up and saw the Earth Pony Colt looking at me intently. I smiled at him. "Eddie?" I had barley finished saying his name when he to ran into me, hugging me as hard as he could. I wrapped my arms around them, intent on never letting them go again.

After a minute the Mare I called Miranda spoke. "I- we just missed you so much."

"I knew you would come back for us, you always do." The Colt I called Eddie declared.

I smiled, it was a true smile this time. Not a mask I wore constantly day after day or the evil grin I put on before a fight. I was well and truly happy at this point. "Don't worry, I wont leave you ever again." I promissed.

They were here, in my arms. After everything that had happened we had found each other once again, with the help of the Princesses but still. It was them, their warmth, their love. Just... them. This was amazing. No, it was better. It was fantastic, unbelievable it was-

Unreal? Not happening? All a dream and you're about to wake up?

I would punch you in the face if I could.

Regardless of my demon I still clung to the two ponies as if my life depended on it. I don't know how long we all just sat there embracing each other, but it wouldn't have mattered. As long as I had Miranda and Eddie with me everything was right in the world. Eventually Celestia had to speak up. "I see that you are happy with our surprise."

I looked up. Everypony was staring at us affectionately, Princesses included. They were all genuinely happy for us, something I hadn't expected for some reason. "I cannot tell you how happy I am to see them again." I said.

Celestia nodded with a smile. "It fills my heart with joy to see such love." She hesitated and bit her lip slightly. "Do mind though, if you can answer some questions. You have given us so many."

I paused, was this a bribe? The only reason they did this was to get meaningless answers? If so what would happen if I refused. It didn't matter, I was happy to accept. "Of course, it's the least I can do."

Celestia warmly smiled at us. "We have a house ready for you to stay in. If you like we could show you discuss it there."

"Lead the way." The gathered Ponies all wished us luck as we left, then they turned back to the party. No sense in wasting a perfectly good party right?


Not to long after we had walked into the house the Princesses had prepared for us. We all entered and sat down in the foyer. I was on the couch while Miranda was tucking in Eddie and the Princesses sat across from me on large cushions.

"So what do you want to know?" I asked getting straight to the point.

Celestia seemed, unsure of herself if anything. I hope she didn't have anymore surprises for me. "Well, everything really."

"Let me stop you right there." I interrupted. "The Bloodbath is like a good scary story. You might think you want to know it but once you do you wish you never asked in the first place, it will do more than keep you up at night."

"But we need to know, we know everything about everypony here in Equestria except for you Humans."

"Why? You'll never look at us the same way if you know everything. Sometimes secrets are supposed to stay secret."

Celestia huffed. "You just said that you would answer our questions."

"But if I told you every detail of the Bloodbath like you want then you would probably never trust any of us."

She raised an eyebrow. "Does that mean that I shouldn't trust you now?

I sighed, Ponies were persistent. "No, you can trust me. What I'm saying is that you'll get suspicious."

"Why?"

I looked out the window.

***

CRASH!

"THERE YOU ARE!"

"No no please!"

"WHERE ARE THEY!?"

"They're in the armory! Please just let me- Ack!"

CRASH!

"COME OUT AND FIGHT ME!"

"There he is! Get him!"

"YOU WILL ALL DIE HERE!"

***

"We've all done things we shouldn't have." I said quietly.

They deserved it.

Shush.

Celestia nodded. "I understand that you may not want to share your story, but what can you tell us?"

I sighed and turned to Luna. "What do you think? You've been quite so far."

Luna shook her head. "I'm not sure, as curious as I may be I keeping thinking about what you said. When I went into your dreams to get answers I was horrified with what I saw. Maybe it is for the best that the Bloodbath just becomes lost in history."

You better not let that happen.

Don't worry, we'll talk about that later.

"Well, can you tell us about this inner demon you were talking too?" Celestia questioned.

Couldn't hurt right?

Not unless they want their own voices.

Please shut up.

Luckily Miranda walked into the room. "What are you talking about?" She asked.

She jumped onto the couch and rested her head against my shoulder. I smiled. "They just want to know about the voice in my head."

She picked her head up and looked at me. "You mean your mentor?"

"Yes, but I consider him more of a burden than anything right now."

"Why?"

"We're disagreeing on a lot of things right now."

Celestia cleared her throat. "Excuse me but, what are you talking about?"

I glanced at Miranda and she gave me a smile and a nod.

This'll be good. "Well, he's a voice in my head. I can hear him as clearly as you can hear me."

Celestia and Luna exchanged looks. "How did he get inside your head?" Luna asked.

I chewed my lip, this was the part that I didn't want them to know about.

Maybe I could do the talking?

Absolutely not. "When I was just a kid... my dad.... he was not a good father." I felt Miranda put a reassuring hoof around me, it helped a little. "After he took out his anger on me, again, I just sat there. I'll admit I was crying, I was broken. I had nothing in my life, I was a weak little boy with no one to look up to and no one would look after me." The sisters shared a pained look. "Every time I tried to get up I only fell down again, I was going nowhere. In that moment all I needed was a friend, a simple voice to tell me to get up and that he believed in me."

"Sure enough, that's just what I got. After deciding that I would never get up again I heard a voice. Faint at first but it gradually got louder. He said 'get up' over and over. Eventually I found the strength to pick myself up and stand. Then he told me to run." I looked at Miranda with a smile, this was her favorite part. "I ran faster than I ever had before, I don't know how far I ran but after a while I slowed down in front of a house. Turns out it was where that beautiful girl from the market lived. She let me stay, we fell in love, and the voice has been helping me ever since."

"What about now?" Celestia asked.

I sighed. "He's still doing the right thing, I just don't have the strength to do it."

"Then why do you call him your inner demon and not your mentor?"

"Right now all he does is remind me of what I did wrong instead of pushing me to do better. I consider that a burden right now."

Actually-

They don't need to know that.

"But now that you have Maple and Stormy you're better right?" Celestia asked.

I looked up. "Who?"

Miranda laughed. "When me and Eddie first came here we got to pick new names to better fit in with the Ponies, he's Stormy and I'm Maple."

I put an arm around her to pull her close and kiss her on the forehead. "Okay but I'm still going to call you Miranda."

She smiled sweetly at me. "I have no problem with that."

I turned back to the Princesses. "I do feel a lot better now that they're back, but that's not really a good thing."

"Why not?"

"Because I always get stronger when I slip, so having them back is making it a lot harder to keep myself in check."

"Why is it bad to slip?"

I grinned. "Last time you saw me slip there was a spear sticking out of my friends arm."

Her ears folded back. "Oh. Well why did you do that?"

I shook my head. "If I snap then it wont be pretty, that was the fastest way to shut him up."

"Why did you need him to shut up?"

"That's the scary story part."

Miranda leaned in close and whispered, so only I could hear. "Is there something we need to talk about?"

I paused for a moment. Should I tell her? What would she think? Would she understand or would she call me a monster?

Depends on who says it.

I sucked in a breath and whispered back. "Maybe later, but not right now."

"Is there anything else you could tell us?" Celestia asked.

I thought about it for a second. "Nope." I said confidently. In a more serious tone I added. "But please listen to me when I tell you that you don't want to know. They always think that they do, but once they find out they regret it."

Celestia nodded. "Understood." She turned to Luna. "What about you sister? You have remained silent this entire time."

Luna frowned. "I just don't know what to think anymore. First you seem like a nice Human, then you tell us that you've done something that will give us nightmares. But we should still trust you. I'm just torn."

I frowned a little. "Don't worry, as long as you can trust me right here and now nothing is wrong."

The Alicorn nodded but hardly looked as if she had taken my words to heart. "Yes yes." She stood up. "Thank you for your time, we will give you two some alone time now."

With that she and her elder sister trotted out the door, leaving me alone with the scarlet Mare.

"So what happened?" She asked.

"About what? A lot happened."

She leaned against me and spoke gently. "After, you know."

I did know.

***

"Eight."

"It's okay."

"Seven."

"Okay. I love you Miranda."

"Six."

"I love you too-"

"I lied, light her up."

"NO!"

FWOOSH!

"ARGH!"

BANG!

***

I had killed her, I was forced too and no choice sure. But I still did it.

She rested her head on my shoulder. "It's okay, I don't blame you for what happened."

"That doesn't mean I still don't feel bad about it."

"You had no choice."

"I know, but I feel like I should have been stronger."

"Even you can't take on two armies with only a half dozen men with you." She said in a mildly mocking tone.

She had a point, we all have our limits. "So how has Eddie been?"

She was obviously glad for the subject change. "He's been wonderful, amazing manners, polite, friendly. He's fit in perfectly here."

"What about you?"

She looked at the floor. "It's been... difficult. Eddie was hanging on to the idea that we are just on vacation and that you would join us soon, he's still just kid after all. But I knew what happened, I convinced him it was a nightmare but... He's like you in so many ways, but he couldn't tell me everything was alright or hold me when I got scared. I got really lonely some nights" She looked up at me with a smile, her eyes were watering up. "No one could ever replace you."

She leaned in and we both shared a loving kiss, it was surprisingly similar to when she was a Human. When it broke we smiled at each other. "You wont ever be alone at night again." I promised.


Just outside two Alicorn sisters were talking. "What was that about? Why did you just leave?" The elder questioned.

"If he's really changed then that means his dreams will have changed too, maybe now that he's having trouble with control his dreams will make more sense." The younger explained.

Celestia blinked. "That- that's actually a really good idea."

Luna grinned. "Thank you sister, now we just have to wait for him to fall asleep..."


It hadn't taken long for the Mare and Human to fall asleep, possibly because they were together. As soon as Luna knew they were asleep she lit her horn up and took off into the dream void.

It was the same as last time, except the Human was almost the first sleeping figure she saw. Luna stopped to smile at the sight, the Human and Mare were wrapped in each others arms and sleeping silently. The Mare had buried her head into his chest and the Human had gently placed a hand on her, protecting her even as he slept. Luna could also see the faintest hint of a smile on his lips.

Much more confident this time the Princess of the night stepped through the glistening picture and into his dreams.

The Alicorns head was spinning as she laid sprawled out in the dirt. Silently grateful for the lack of the Blood Luna rolled over and shakily got to her hooves. She hesitantly looked around, just because the Blood wasn't there didn't mean that everything bad had also disappeared. Fortunately it had. What was once a place of death and despair was now a peaceful row of houses that seemed to glow. Not only that but it was bright out this time, looking around she saw that it was only due to the massive lights atop the houses.

Luna smiled, her sister and her must have really helped him when they returned Maple to him. She sat down and rubbed her head with her fore hooves, entering this dream had really given her a headache for some reason. Slowly her hearing returned and she was shocked at what she heard. Instead of screaming and a fist fight it sounded as if a full blown battle was going on somewhere.

Luna was instantly overcome with a mix of worry and curiosity. As she ran down the row of houses she noticed that they stayed constant this time. All just as happy as the last, never less or more. For some reason it reminded her of Ponyville. She turned the corner, happy to see a lack of bodies, and ran to a scene of a strange battle. She shook her head to make sure.

Yep, they were all glowing. These weren't copies of the Human these were different Humans that she had never seen before. Sure enough for every dark blue one there was a bright silver copy fighting it. Luna decided to avoid the conflict and scale the pile of ruble the Human was still siting on.

Now having a better view on the battle she could see that there was only a half dozen men and the Human on each side. They were all holding a line and neither side was advancing. She now noticed that the open area where they were fighting in seemed to be split in half. On the silver side was the wonderful place she had just exited and on the blue side was the horrible, blood-soaked village she had seen the previous visit. The blood, although still up to their shins wasn't moving past the line somehow.

"Nice to see you again." The Human said emotionless.

"What's happening?" Luna asked.

The Human only sighed. "When you brought Miranda back to me... Something happened."

The Alicorn rolled her eyes, she did not want to play this game again. "Care to explain?"

"You see, I'm constantly fighting myself and my demon. So when you brought Miranda back it gave them a huge advantage." At Luna's puzzled expression he tried a different kind of explanation. "Think of it like this. I'm a wall holding back a part of me that I don't want out and my demon is trying to break it and let that part of me out. When Miranda came back it got significantly harder to hold them back."

Luna understood that part. "Why do you want to hold that part of you back if the demon is doing what's right and helping it?"

"I was never supposed to lock that part of me away, so the demon is trying to make me like my old self once again. The one that he has always helped."

"Why would you lock away what he has always helped?"

"I never wanted to, but there were... problems with letting it out then. Still are."

"Like what?"

"That's the scary story part."

Luna huffed, but at least she had something. "Then could you explain this?" She said, gesturing to the battle below them

"My demon is getting stronger, so the fight for control has gotten bigger."

"But last time it was just you fighting you, who are all these new people?"

"Last time it was me fighting my demon, he just looks like me is all. As for the new guys, they're the ones that fought the final battle with me."

"Which one are you?"

"I don't know."

Luna was more than a little frustrated right now. "Really? You don't know what you're fighting for?"

"NO!" The Human suddenly yelled at her. "I have no idea what to fight for!" Luna backed off slightly, out of the corner of her eye she noticed the blue Humans were starting to shine brighter and were slowly gaining ground on the silvers. "I was about to kill the ones that did this! Sneak out of the corner and make it look like an accident! I knew exactly where they were! But then I came here and months of planning down the drain! I was maybe five days from carrying out my plan!" Then the blues dulled and the silver group easily pushed them back and past the line. "I was watching them watch me! I had to plan out my entire life so they wouldn't know where my Clan was! I know exactly where they are too! I could have gone to them at any time! It was a straight walk from the Corner to their gates! They're waiting for me! For the past two years I've been torn between killing and saving!"

The Human was breathing heavily as the silvers dulled and fell back to the line. "I'm not going to apologize." The Human said before looking away from the Princess.

Luna just sat there in shock. Not only had nopony ever spoken to her like but he wasn't even sorry. That wasn't the worst part either. She had taken him away from his life. She and her sister had never even considered what they were taking the Humans from when they brought them here. She had taken him away from his... what had he said? Clan? What was that? She had never heard of that. There was Tribes, they were towns of people. Gangs were groups of people and a Wanderer was someone by himself. Never before had anyone ever mentioned a Clan to her.

She looked at the Human who had his head in his hands. Just another mystery that Luna would have to solve she supposed. With that thought she exited his dreams.


I woke up and stretched across my bed. It was still morning judging by how bright it was. I felt something shift and looked down. Nothing could have stopped my smile. Miranda was still asleep, her hoof still around me and she nuzzled my chest with a smile. I was glad to know it wasn't all just a dream, that I had gotten both her and Eddie back. I lazily rested my arm around her and rested my head on the pillow again.

She shifted again and opened her eyes. "Hm?"

"Good to see you're awake."

She returned my smile. "Good to see it wasn't all a dream."

I kissed her on the forehead and she nuzzled me again, something I could defiantly get used to. After a while she spoke up. "We should really get out of bed." She said quietly.

I ran my fingers through her mane. "We should but I don't want to."

She climbed to her hooves and gave me a quick kiss on the lips. "Common sleepy head, we have to make breakfast for Eddie."

"Fine." I groaned and fell out of bed. She giggled at the display. "So is your name Maple or Miranda?" I asked getting to my feet.

"Well everypony calls me Maple and him Stormy, but we call each other by our real names." She explained.

We walked out of the bedroom and into the kitchen. "What would you like to eat?" I asked her.

"Any snake meat?" She joked.

***

"Hey!"

"Hey Susy how are you?"

"I just got this great new recipe and I want to know what you think!"

"Sure."

"Great! Wait right here!"

...

"Okay here you are."

"Hmm... Smells delicious."

"Go on try it!"

...

"Well?"

"Argh! What is that!?"

"Salted snake meat soaked vinegar."

"Gah! Why would you make that!?"

"I thought it would be funny."

***

I let out a laugh. "She sure loved to joke."

She laughed along. "My sisters always enjoyed a good laugh at everyone's expense."

Still grinning I looked through the fridge for some food.

"Do you know if any of them survived?"

I almost dropped the carton of eggs. "Um... What?"

"I want to know if any of my sisters survived." She said seriously.

I looked down.

"If you don't want to talk about it..."

"Yes." I said with full confidence. "I'm not sure about all of them but Charlette defiantly did."

Her eyes lit up. "Really? But how can you be sure?"

I grinned. "You can always tell where Charlette's been."

She understood and flew over to hug me. "Thank you! I've been worried sick about them." She said in between kisses.

"Woah, it really wasn't a dream."

We broke the hug and turned to the new voice. "Hey Eddie, good to see your awake."

He smiled and ran up to hug me. "Big brother! I can't believe that your really here!"

I grinned and set him down. "Get used to it big guy, because this time I'm here to stay."

He laughed happily and sat down at the table. "What's for breakfast?"

"How's an omelet sound?"

"Oh boy! I can't remember the last time I had one of your omelets!" He cheered.

I laughed again. I never thought that I was much of a chef, but I could always pull of an omelet.

"Wait a second." Miranda said. "Where are your guns?"

I stopped and looked down, there was no guns or gun holsters around my waist. "Huh, must have left them in the bedroom. Be right back."

I walked through the door way to the bedroom and threw off the covers of the bed, nothing. I looked under the bed and all around the floor, nothing.

Then I heard laughter.

"What did you do?" I asked him.

Well, now that Miranda is back part of you is constantly slipping.

"So? I can handle it."

Obviously not.

"What do you mean?"

Look in the drawer of the nightstand.

I did as he said and jumped back. In the nightstand was both my guns, but they where in pieces. Smashed apart and broken, completely beyond repair. "How, how did you do that?" My voice was shaky, never before has anything like this ever happened.

It was surprisingly easy, as soon as you touched Miranda you started slipping. Only slightly but still, then when you were sleeping I tried something. I gave the part of you that you keep locked away a push. I told him to destroy the guns and he did so. Simple.

"Why would you do that?"

Oh come on. You're using guns so of course the real you would be more than happy to get rid of them. Use something that you can count on."

"You know what would happen if I used anything like that."

Exactly.

"I can't let that happen."

Come on! Think about this from my point of view!

That's true, I've never considered what he was going through. "What do you mean?"

I was manifested by your mind. It was like my home, but when you locked your mind away I was locked away with it. I'm just trying to get my home back, unlike you.

I visibly winced at that. "That hurt."

Yeah well the truth does that.

I let out a long sigh. "What am I supposed to do without a weapon in a dangerous forest in a couple of days?"

You could quit fighting it for once.


After breakfast Eddie had ran off to play with the other Colts at the school playground. That left me with Miranda, I knew I had to talk about what my mentor had done.

"Miranda?"

"Hm?" She murmured. She was sleepily laying on my lap as I ran my fingers through her hair.

"I need to ask you about what I should do."

"What's that?"

"Well Mentor destroyed my guns, which leaves me without a weapon."

"What about the Guard?"

"That's what I want to ask you. Should I use it?"

I could feel her smile. "Of course, you used it forever. Why would you stop?"

"Because it's too familiar, it'll make me slip or even snap completely."

"What's so bad about that? I've noticed that you changed and no offense but, I like the old you more."

That was unexpected. "What do you mean?"

"Well you used to tower over everyone, confident and proud. But now it's like you're hiding from everyone, me included."

Well that settled it.


Turns out that Princess Celestia was visiting Twilight at the Library, which is where I was now.

"I need you to get something for me." I told her.

"What is it?" Celestia asked.

I took a breath, I was really going to do it. "Back at the Corner of Equestria, under my bed, there's a duffle bag. It has somethings I need in it."

"Like what?"

"A weapon."

Celestia raised an eyebrow. "What happened to your old ones?"

They were in the trash. "They broke." I spared her the details.

She seemed to accept that. "Very well, I can teleport it here."

"Thank you." Then it hit me. "Why couldn't you just teleport me and my friends here?"

The sun Princess smiled. "It's not a person, it's an object. Not the same thing."

"Okay, go ahead."

Her eyes closed, horn lit up and she focused.

I want to thank you.

For what?

For bringing yourself back, it will be nice... And I'm sorry that I had to put you through everything.

Well, I need a favor from you.

What is it?

When I slip I want you to hold back the part of me that holds the blood lust.

I'll try, but I can't do it by myself or forever.

There was a brilliant golden flash and a black duffle bag fell to the ground.

"Don't worry about it."

I moved to pick it up and the door slammed open, revealing Brian and Vinnie. "Is that what I think it is?" Brian asked carefully.

"Yes." I deadpanned.

"Why?"

"I broke my guns so I needed a weapon."

Vinnie stepped forward. "I don't know if I trust you with that."

"You don't have to."

He cocked his head. "What if we get our old weapons too?"

I shrugged. "Go ahead." I locked eyes with his. "Just keep yourself in check." I looked at Brian. "Same for you."

They both nodded slowly and told Celestia where they kept their duffle bags. She nodded and soon there were two more bags at our feet. One white and the other green.

I walked up to the black one, Vinnie the white and Brian the green. We all looked at each other and nodded. I pulled the zipper down and closed my eyes. I knew what was in here, I put it there. I opened my eyes. Yep, there was my old helmet and weapon rolled up in my flag. I grabbed the weapon and held it in my hands.

It was one of a kind, made it myself too. It was a sold blue metal staff just longer than my arm. At first glance it appeared to be just that, a metal stick. In reality it was a marvel in weaponry, I had filled it with almost every kind of blade I knew. All it took was the perfect flick of a wrist to open. Different flicks meant different blades. That's what made me so dangerous on the battlefield, I was completely unpredictable. I called it the Guard.

I looked over and saw Brian holding a spear taller than him. It's tip juts out in four points so if you were to survive getting stuck by it you wouldn't survive pulling it out. Not that anyone has ever pulled it out. He never missed.

Vinnie has holding two daggers, each the size of his forearm. One was sharp on one side and heavily serrated on the other. His other dagger was more of a sharp hook than anything. He might be the only one I know whose choice weapons were daggers, but it suited him. He was amazingly fast when he fought, sometimes you couldn't even see him.

"No guns?" Celestia asked.

I stood up and examined the Guard. "Way before we were born in the dark everyone used guns, but nobody made their own bullets like they do now. So slowly but surely everyone turned towards weapons that you didn't need to load."

Celestia nodded in understanding and I turned toward my friends. "Wanna see if we can still use them?"

I took their grins as a yes.


Celestia was kind enough to loan us some targets that the royal guards normally used to train with. Luckily they were enchanted to reconstruct when destroyed. Which was often.

It was my turn to tackle the circle of eight targets we had set up. So far Vinnie had the record of twenty three seconds.

Before I started I said two words that only one mentor could hear. The one's he's been dying to hear for two years now. "You ready?" I asked.

You shouldn't even have to ask.

Then I let go and felt him flow through me. He reached through my veins and we bonded the same way we did before every battle. One of the Ponies from the gathered crowd yelled go and I took off. With the same grin I put on before every battle. I brought the Guard around and over my head and a silver axe blade flew out.

Normally an axe blade that size couldn't fit into the Guard, but I had found a different way to solidify the metal. Making it able to bend a certain way then snap solid if I flicked it into place just right. I brought it across one target, slicing it in half, and spun around to cut the target on the opposite side. I jumped to the right and cut the next target horizontally while the axe retreated. Thrusting it forward then backwards brought out a dagger at the tip of the Guard, which I used to stick into the next target. I lifted it up and threw it at the targets behind me, they were close enough so that I could hit both of them.

I pushed the Guard forward and the dagger slipped back in. I swung the Guard into the the next target, knocking it back, which brought out a scythe blade. I kicked the next target, then turned and threw the Guard at the last target across from me. Landing a solid stick on the inner ring.

I stepped back, still wearing my grin. "Twenty eight seconds!" The Pony in charge of keeping time called.

Everypony cheered as I retrieved the Guard. I put the the scythe away with a flick and turned around to face the crowd. It felt good to be a warrior again, even if it was only pieces of wood I was fighting.

"I see you haven't lost your touch." A silky voice said next to me.

I turned to Miranda. "Somethings you just can't let go of." I reached down and picked her up. "You're one of them."

She smiled and kissed me. I walked us out of the circle as Brian got ready. The targets were now back in place and somepony yelled go. I saw his grin as he held onto the very end of his spear and spun in a circle, slicing every target. The crowd exploded as the time Pony yelled his time. Two seconds.

Vinnie stepped forward laughing. "Okay big guy, how about we set the targets back a little bit?"


The competition was over and Vinnie had won after the targets had been moved back for Brian. We were all laughing and I was still holding Miranda when Celestia approached us.

"I see you have all had a good time this evening." The Alicorn said. "That is good, for tomorrow you journey into the Everfree and discover what is disturbing our land."

My friends dismissed that and went back to exchanging jokes. Miranda froze and looked at me. "What is she talking about?"

I had forgotten about the whole 'mysterious force' in the forest until now. "I have to go into the Everfree and find out what's been going on in there. Whatever it is, it has Dragons relocating. It's the reason I was brought here in the first place."

She frowned. "You said you wouldn't leave us again."

I kissed her on the forehead again. "Don't worry, it'll be a little hike. I go in, stab something, and come back out. Simple."

"I guess it will be okay... It's only for a little bit right?"

"Of course, and even though I'll be gone tomorrow." I lifted her chin up and we looked into each others eyes. "I'm still here today."