• Published 28th Aug 2016
  • 321 Views, 0 Comments

Twilight And The War Of the Gods - 21latenighter



After a thousand years of peace, an old foe returns and brings about a war that no one will live through, even the Elements themselves....

  • ...
3
 0
 321

a new day

Twilight walked out of the castle in Ponyville and began to walk into the now bustling city. She did so every month or so, and today would be no different. As she walked out of the castle however, three figures at the edge of the city caught her eye. They walked slowly and without purpose towards the city. She took off the ground and flew towards the lone figures.

Upon arriving, she noticed that they were all hooded with red robes, and she seen that one of them had an obvious limp. She flew above them for a few moments before coming down for a landing in front of them. The three hooded ponies seemed unmoved by her perfect landing, she had Rainbow Dash to thank for that.

"Hello newcomers, my name is Princess Twilight Sparkle. It is a pleasure to meet you three, and can I ask who you three are?" Twilight asked the three ponies, who finally acknowledged that she had even existed.

"We are without names princess, for we are simply travelers through this land, searching for heirlooms from our ancient land," one of the three ponies said slowly and without emotion.

"Well, I have been here for a while, what are you looking for?" Twilight asked the ponies with curiosity.

The three ponies looked to each other and nodded before turning and spoke to twilight. "We have been searching for stones, they hold sentimental meaning to us, and we have looked for them for years," The pony in the middle said in the same emotionless tone that the three ponies had shared.

Twilight looked to the ponies with intent, "Do you have one of these stones to show me, and maybe I could help you find another?"

They looked to each other again before the middle pony took off her hood, revealing a pale unicorn head, and a blue mane that looked tattered and frayed at the ends. She then brought up a black stone that seemed to bring the very life from Twilight. That stone looked familiar, like she had seen it before, but she couldn't place it.

"That stone.....," Twilight said, looking intent with curiosity.

"You have seen a stone like this?" the pony said with renewed emotion and am awe like voice.

"Yes, but I can't place where I have seen one," Twilight said as she took her eyes away from the stone.

"Our legends say that there are six stones that form a mighty ruler from our distant past, but we ourselves do not believe that, only that they were crafted by great alicorns thousands of years ago," The pony on the left said, as they also removed their hood to show that of a stallion. His coat was also pale white and a very pale blue mane.

That story caught Twilight's attention, stones crafted by alicorns that formed a mighty ruler, they sounded a lot like the stones of death that held Thanatos. "That story sounds like a story I heard a long time ago," Twilight said as she stretched the truth a little. She herself had lived the story of Thanatos, having fought alongside her once mentor, Fury Flight.

"Do you know where you might have seen the stone?" The third pony asked, keeping his hood upon his head, merely looking up through the shadow of the fabric, eyes gleaming a slight blue.

"No, I don't recall, but your are welcome to stay in Ponyville as long as you need before moving on," Twilight said with a little doubt in her voice.

"Thank you for your kindness Princess, but we must be moving on," The middle pony said as she brought her hood back over her head, covering her pale coat.

"Then farewell, and have a nice trip," Twilight said as she turned and took off the ground, flying back to Ponyville, the thought of the conversation she had just had on her mind, taking up most of her brain activity, nearly making her crash into a nearby tree.

"She knows of our travels," the left pony said to the middle.

"Maybe, but what she doesn't know is that we have the other five stones, and they have led us here," the middle pony responded.

"What will we do to find the sixth and bring back our mighty master?" The right pony asked.

"Find the sixth stone, the others will lead us to it, and then use the stones to revive our master so that he may bring this world to order, and bring about the destruction of harmony and destroy the Princess that guards this world," the middle pony said as they looked to the west, where the stone pointed them. They began to walk in that direction to their next destination, and hopefully, the joyous rebirth of their master, Thanatos, The God of Death.

Twilight returned to the castle where an eager Star Shadow waited for his lesson for the day. She landed on the balcony before he started asking about her morning. She merely ignored her student as she began to recite a legend that Fury himself had told her a few years before his timely death.

"When the sun and moon both fail, the darkness of death shall rise again and consume the world of life and light, unless the guardian of light can summon the bringer of life and bring the world to order."

Star Shadow looked at Twilight as she recited the legend of old before responding. "It is said that it is nothing but a old ponies tale."

"No Star Shadow, it's not just a ponies tale, Fury Flight himself told me that legend before he died, and I just got my proof in three ponies at the edge of town," Twilight answered.

"Then what can we expect?" Star Shadow asked, watching Twilight pacing the castle floor.

"The end of the world Star Shadow, Thanatos' return. It took twelve alicorns to defeat him, and now only I remain. And better yet, they way that the legend described to defeat him. The bringer of life is gone, and has been for thousands of years," Twilight panicked.

"Calm down Twilight, we just need to find out more about the legend," Star shadow said as he used his magic to stop the alicorn. she hit the magical barrier, in which she looked to the unicorn that had brought up the barrier.

"Thanks, we can look in the library for answers," Twilight said as she began to walk to the aforementioned room.

The two ponies walked into the library where they spent the rest of the afternoon looking through books for answers for their problem. After about four hours of fruitless labor in the library, Twilight sat down in the middle of the library and cupped her face with her hooves.

"It's hopeless, we'll never find the answer here, the only other library that could've aided us was destroyed a thousand years ago," Twilight said, tears coming to the surface.

Star Shadow placed his hoof on Twilight's shoulder to comfort her, but she began to pull away. "You are not the pony that I need right now Star Shadow, they're all dead, and that will never change," Twilight sobbed quietly.

"You have to believe in yourself Twilight, you have come so far, you can't just give up now," Star Shadow soothed Twilight with his words. "Isn't there some way to find a way into the library you need, as in a time spell?" Star Shadow asked.

"What, No..... Wait, that's it," Twilight said as she sprung to her feet. She was so excited that she grabbed Star Shadow with both hooves and gave him a peck on the lips. He stumbled around for a second before falling over in a love high. Twilight then ran past him to a shelf where she had been working on just such spells, and pick out one spell. It was tattered and worn, as it was a couple thousand years old, written by the old mage Star Swirl The Bearded, and read the spell that he had written and she had tweaked.

The room began to light up as papers began to fly around Twilight and Star Shadow, who still lay on the floor, mumbling to himself. A popping sound commenced as Twilight and her student disappeared back in time, one thousand years into the past, to the moment that Kaorn returned to the world.