• Published 18th Jun 2016
  • 470 Views, 28 Comments

Shipfic Folder Series - SS Nomad



When you can't come up with a decent story hook, why not leave it to chance?

  • ...
2
 28
 470

In Which a Mare Just Wants to be Boring

She was just a normal mare, average in every way. She woke up in the morning, fed her pets, ate breakfast like any other. Perhaps she was a little more studious with the housework, but that’s far from an odd trait. No, the only oddness in her life came from the world around her choosing to make her important. When she decided to be honest with herself, she knew she was boring, she knew she was mild mannered and would blend into any crowd, and that was how she liked it. Such a shame that the world around her kept pushing her front and center when she was so… uninteresting compared to those she spent her time with.

Having made her way to Ponyville square, she quietly looked around for anything happening. There was a mild commotion near a house she recognized as shared by two talented musicians, loud music and bright lights. She reflexively shied away from the disturbance and went about her business. She just wanted to buy some groceries and be fitted for a dress. Whatever… that was, somepony else could deal with it. She didn’t have any powers or useful talents, all she had was a pretty face and the ability to make ponies feel guilty. She didn’t want to risk getting involved.

Stopping in front of the Carousel Boutique, she gently rapped on the door. The door slowly swung open to reveal the resident white unicorn, a mare she’d always been jealous of to some degree. Sure, Rarity wasn’t perfect. She could even be horribly mean at times. Yet still… she was jealous of knowing there was someone in the town who was not just beautiful, but had confidence, poise, and a personality that carried her. Still, she couldn’t help but smile weakly at her friend. She’d… get along. She always did.

“Darling, it’s so good to see you,” Rarity announced, hugging her, “So is this a social call, or is something the matter?”

“Oh,” she replied hesitantly, “I was just wondering about the dress you were working on for me.”

Rarity laughed at herself, “Oh, dear me, I’ve just been so distracted. Of course! It’s mostly done, just needs a final fit and tailoring to your body, dearie.”

She smiled back, honestly surprised that it was already done, “That’s great, can we do it today?”

“Of course,” Rarity replied, but her smile turned coy, “What’s the rush, my dear? Got a hot date tonight?”

She chuckled back dismissively, “N-no, I just… wanted to stay home for a few days if I could. I have chores to do and it would be easier to not have to walk all the way to town.”

Rarity pouted with concern, “Darling, you really need to get out more. I know you’ve… got your reasons, but-”

“It’s fine,” she interrupted, “I… had so many opportunities to grow like you have the past few years, but… that’s not for me, you know? I, well, I like myself how I am. I don’t really need to change. If I were to grow and develop… where would I even go?”
Rarity wanted to object, but… she really had no idea. It seemed like something that should have a legitimate answer. There had to be a direction she could take, one that would make her life better.

“You could try to work on your fears,” Rarity stammered, “Just think about how much happier you’d be.”

She looked Rarity squarely in the eye, “But that’s all I have. If you get rid of that, then what am I? Just another nice mare, right? Then again, I don’t know, maybe that’s what I honestly want. A normal life.”

The words caught in Rarity’s throat.

“I know you want to help,” she continued quietly, tears welling in her eyes, “I know you think my life needs more adventure, more drama, but…”

“Darling,” Rarity cut her off consolingly, “I didn’t know y-”

“I’ve just always been too scared to tell you,” she replied, staring at her hooves, “But… that fear is what makes me me. I’m not going to give it up. If I didn’t have that, I wouldn’t have anything.”

Rarity stepped forward and wrapped her foreleg around the mare’s shoulders in a hug, “I know things have been hard for you recently. I’m here for you.”

“I just… I don’t belong here, saving the world. It’s all just so stressful. I’m not like the rest of you girls,” she stepped back to look Rarity in the eye, “I just want a normal life.”

Rarity gently rested her forehead to her friend’s, “I know, Fluttershy, I know.”