• Published 21st Jun 2016
  • 3,096 Views, 163 Comments

Of The Past That Haunts Us - Dusk_Writer



After a strange dream, Dash thinks about somepony who she had loved betraying her. On the other hoof, Twilight has asked her something which excited her yet, it formed pure dread in the pit of her stomach…

  • ...
6
 163
 3,096

Chapter 10- Listen…

"Promises are the sweetest lies." —unknown


Bright emerald eyes scanned the sky, searching. Unfortunately, the pony he was looking for was nowhere to be seen. All around him, were clouds.

Soarin kept looking in every direction possible as he flew. No one was around.

Where is she? He thought. She couldn't just disappear! Could she?

Agh! He was being silly! Nopony could just disappear! He kept looking around, trying to spot Rainbow’s colorful mane.

His ears suddenly twitched. Somepony was nearby! Soarin quickly looked around but to his dismay it was just a flock of nine Magpies flying by.

He furrowed his brow in annoyance, she was nowhere! Where the hell could she disappear?! Was she actually trying to hide from him or—

Soarin’s train of thought stopped abruptly as his ears twitched once again, but the sound he heard was more…distinct. Glancing around, he saw nothing.

Suddenly, he saw something rapidly approaching in his peripheral vision. He looked up and saw a blue dot shooting towards him at an incredible speed.

He had no time dodge.

Shit.

This would definitely leave a bruise.

“Oof!” Soarin grunted as he felt the rough impact of a body colliding with his and them falling towards the ground. He spread his wings in attempt to slow their fall. The other pony, having the same idea spread their wings as well and both of them roughly landed on a cloud, successfully not hitting it hard enough to condensate.

“So sorry! I had to get—” a familiar raspy voice started but then stopped as she got a good look at who she had crashed into.

Soarin shook his head, curious to why she stopped. Looking up at her, his question was answered.

Rainbow Dash blankly stared at him as she sat opposite to him on the same cloud.

Well, he found her…what now?

“Um,” Soarin coughed awkwardly. “Fancy bumping into you again!” He forced a tense chuckle.

She didn't answer.

“Uh,” he was starting to sweat a bit now. “Nice weather we’re having, eh?”

She just blinked.

“…ha…haha…ha…”

No reply.

“Alright fine!” Soarin struggled. “I'm sorry! I screwed up! I know I seem like an asshole right now, forgetting everything and remembering after…years, but I have an explanation. It won't justify for everything and would probably make you madder but, it's to say I'm not a heartless bastard who left you just for fame. Please, just listen to me and I'll—” his rambling was cut off with a cyan hoof. He looked up and looked at her as she breathed out through her nose and closed her eyes.

“Go ahead.” Dash said simply, removing her hoof from his mouth and waiting. Soarin was surprised at her willingness but, he needed to apologise, tell her why.

Even though the ‘why’ was a selfish reason.

“Dash…I know what I did was inexcusable, and after all those years of being friends…but it wasn't because of the fame getting to my head. Do you remember how easily…pressured I could be?” Upon her nod, he continued, “well…”


Hoofsteps echoed throughout the halls of the Wonderbolt Compound. A young looking, light blue Pegasus trotted down the halls with a slight bounce in his step.

It was peak time for the Wonderbolts so almost nobody was in sight as they all were either busy practicing for shows, or training. All except for Soarin who was very new along with two other ponies named Fleetfoot and Spitfire.

His week had gone well so far and he had adjusted into the schedule nicely in such a short amount of time.

And tomorrow, I can finally see Dash to tell her everything! Soarin thought excitedly.

He kept trotting until he reached his new room where he had brought almost all his stuff from back home. Upon opening the door, he entered and was greeted by the bright blue walls he had grown accustomed to and his new furniture. He closed the door behind him and sighed with a smile.

His dream had come true.

He felt a bit nervous and foreign around the old Wonderbolts as they were already used to everything. His new teammates were mares and he felt like there were no stallion friends to talk to. He missed Dash. But…she was now in Ponyville as she didn't want her results.

“We'll see each other again tomorrow,” Soarin muttered, a determined expression on his face. He glanced around his room once again and noticed a small box next to his bed. “Oh! The photographs are in there!” He perked up and crouched next to the box, opening it.

The first thing he saw was a photo of him and Rainbow laughing and posing for the camera. He smiled remembering that occasion as his birthday.

Soarin broke out of his thoughts by a knock on his door. He closed the box and stuffed it underneath his bed.

I'll put those up later, he thought and trotted to the door to open it.

Outside stood Spitfire, Fleetfoot and…High Winds!

“Hey guys! What brings you here?” He tried to act calm in the presence of High Winds herself!

“We’re just here to just invite you to the party taking place tomorrow.” High Winds smiled as Soarin's eyes widened.

“Tomorrow?”

“Mmhm! It's gonna be epic! We won't get a chance for the whole of next week so we thought, why not tomorrow? You comin’ right?” Fleetfoot asked, her wings fluttering.

“…Y-yeah! Totally! I'll be there!” He bit his lip.

“Sweet! Later Soarin!” Spitfire grinned and walked away with the other two.

“Well…” Soarin said as he closed the door, “I hope you can wait one more week for me Dash…” he muttered. “This is gonna be a disaster…”


“…and well, the same thing happened next week. I was just afraid of not impressing them and thinking I was not interested or not good enough. That kept on repeating till…I just forgot.” Soarin admitted, sighing.

“Why no letter?” Dash asked softly.

“I…didn't have time…” upon looking at the anger and sadness growing on her face, he quickly continued. “Look, I was foolish back then. I thought everything would be fine and I know a simple ‘sorry’ won't do but it's all I have…so please,” he begged.

Dash remained silent, her eyes carefully scanning the emerald ones opposite to her. She tried to find something, anything to indicate he was lying, tricking her once again but…she found nothing. The gaze he set upon her was filled with sincerity and it was one she had not seen in a long time. It was a type of gaze that made your heart skip a beat and caused you forget your own words. It was a gaze she missed dearly.

Dash sighed and looked down, not saying anything for a while.

“Dash?” Soarin called her name and was afraid he'd failed and she'd leave but after another silent moment, she looked up.

“You know, I'm an element of harmony, I've faced monsters, forces threatening our very existence, basically gone to Tartarus and back and…I've learnt a lot of things from a lot of different people. But, there's one special thing I learnt about loyalty right when I was a child and, on more than one occasion I've found it to be painfully true…do you want to know what that is?” She asked softly, afraid he'd disappear again if she was any louder.

“What's that?” He asked, just as softly.

“True loyalty…cannot ever be truly angry with anybody no matter how much they've screwed up, or even if they've straight up tried to kill you. It's almost impossible to be mad with anyone forever.” She finished and looked away.

Another painful period of silence washed over both of them as the winds started to blow and the Luna’s moon started to rise.

“…so, you forgive me?” Soarin asked hopefully.

Dash didn't answer him but instead did the most unexpected thing in this situation.

She started to giggle madly.

“Um,” Soarin flinched as she threw her head back and started to laugh uncontrollably. “Rainbow?” He looked at her as he sat there awkwardly and she continued chuckling and guffawing.

A few moments passed and Soarin furrowed his brows as the sounds from her mouth changed and sounded less and less like laughing. He moved a bit to look at her face and his eyes widened.

She definitely wasn't laughing anymore.

Instead, tears poured out of her eyes and the sound from her mouth was sobbing. Why was she crying? He…apologised and she forgave him.

Did this really hurt her that much?

Soarin’s ears flopped down as he brought her in for a hug. She resisted and tried to break free but his grip was too strong. When that didn't work she started hitting his chest with her hooves shouting ‘idiot’ again and again. He didn't mind, he just wanted her to calm down.

She kept doing this for a few minutes but her hits got weaker and weaker by the second as she got tired and her endurance ran out. She panted and calmed down as Soarin hugged her even tighter.

“I'm sorry,” he closed his eyes. “I really am sorry.”


“Well, hopefully everything's fine now,” Spitfire smiled as she and Twilight watched the scene from behind a cloud.

“You know, I've never really seen Rainbow fully breakdown like that…except when she had to say goodbye to Tank for the winter.” Twilight said, equally happy both of them had made amends.

“Yeah,” she agreed. “But, Twilight. I think we should leave them alone now. Let's go back.” Spitfire was about to take off but she pulled her back.

“No! They'll see us if we fly. Let's teleport.” Twilight lit up her horn as her eyes widened.

“Oh no…Twilight! I'll vomit if you teleport, don't do it!” But, it was too late.

*POOF*

Author's Note:

EXAMS ARE OVER!! WOOO!!
They generously gave us a 3 week vacation as well!
Also, our English teacher was being super nice for some reason and gave us our marks! I got 92%! So happy! (But I'm also terrified about my Physics marks T.T")

I managed to finish it on Tuesday, actually. But, I wrote it during our revision time in my notebook (cause I was bored and finished studying) so I got lazy and kept putting off when I'd write it digitally :P

Soarin quickly looked around but to his dismay it was just a flock of nine Magpies flying by.

I wonder…:trollestia:


…you just searched up what 9 magpies mean, didn't you?