• Published 21st Jun 2016
  • 3,091 Views, 163 Comments

Of The Past That Haunts Us - Dusk_Writer



After a strange dream, Dash thinks about somepony who she had loved betraying her. On the other hoof, Twilight has asked her something which excited her yet, it formed pure dread in the pit of her stomach…

  • ...
6
 163
 3,091

Chapter 7- That Escalated Quickly…

"We barely talk without a barrier between us anymore, and the saddest part is, we used to talk everyday." —unknown


“Why was that so hard?!” Dash exclaimed in annoyance as she walked through the front door of her cloud home.

The four pegasi had tried to do some basic team formations and exercises to help Rainbow get comfortable in working with others to made sure she didn't freeze up or earn any injuries during practice or the show.

They had gone outside and tried but…it didn't go very well.

“Oh come on, Dash. From what I've heard, you'll get this down in no time!” Soarin smiled and punched her shoulder. Spitfire nodded.

“I agree. I haven't seen talent like yours in a long time. I understand it's easy to get frustrated but you just need to practice.”

“Honestly though, I never knew it was that hard. You guys make it look so easy! It was just when one of you got really close to me, my wings just reacted and…froze up. I couldn't do anything!” Dash expressed her frustration.

“Yeah, it's pretty annoying.” Soarin agreed.

“Hm,” she awkwardly forced a smile as he tilted his head and rose an eyebrow. Luckily, Fleetfoot spoke up.

“I think I agree with Dash. ‘Hm,’” she quoted. “Not, being very helpful!”

“Ha.” Soarin laughed dryly.

Rainbow rolled her eyes, swallowing the lump in her throat. She glanced at the clock to her right and her eyes widened.

“Uh, guys!” She began hurriedly. “I have to go help Rarity with a dress she wants me to model. She'll have my head if I'm late, I'll be back in a few hours. Have lunch and do other shit without me!” And with that, she rushed out the door closing it with a ‘thud’!

As she was about to take off, her ears perked up to the sound of hoofsteps behind her. Dash took a glance and saw a bit of navy blue mane exiting the door.

She gritted her teeth and took off as fast as she could faintly hearing the baby blue pegasus calling out to her.

That was close, she sighed.

Back on the clouds of Rainbow’s home, Soarin swore he saw her glance towards him.


Carousel Boutique was standing as proud as ever.

In light of recent events, Rarity’s boutique had been the talk of Equestria. Her business sales had increased in Canterlot, Manehattan and even Ponyville!

Quite a few ponies had visited the boutique and praised her for the amazing quality and rarity of her clothing even in a small town like this.

Needless to say, Rarity was very busy most of the day, yet made time to spend with her friends just as much.

Today was not one one of those days, but she still found a way. She had asked Rainbow to model a dress for a new clothing range coming up. It was a perfect way to work and hang out with Dash.

“Sorry I'm late Rares.” The rainbow maned pegasus entered the boutique in a hurry. “I got caught up in a few things.” She stopped and caught her breath looking at the fashionista who was levitating some different colored materials across the room.

“Oh! It's quite alright, dear. Come, we can get started right away!” Rarity pushed her towards the back area making her stand on a small platform, immediately bringing over a few pins and needles.

“Careful with those!” Dash eyed the sharp, pointy, metal instruments of death.

“Oh don't worry, Rainbow!” Rarity assured. “I will try my best not to poke you.” She levitated over a beautiful magenta colored silk, draping it over her back. “How are the Wonderbolts? Haven't seen them since our lovely lunch!”

“They're pretty chill.” She said, trying her best not to squirm. “Probably want a rest from their day to day routine. Spitfire has gotten along with Twilight quite well actually. They hang out sometimes. Fleetfoot’s still a bit scared of Tank—not that she'll admit it—and she's pretty carefree. Also gave me a bit of advice on my speed which was awesome! Soarin…uh, he's pretty cool. He's laid back but, I haven't got a chance to hang out with him much.” Dash winced, hoping Rarity didn't notice her hesitance during the last part. Fortunately, she was too focused on the dress.

“That's great dear! I'm sure you'll get the chance to spend time with Soarin, eventually.”

“Yeah,” Rainbow nodded. “So, anything new with you?” She asked.

“Not really.” She paused. “Come to think of it, Fancy Pants had invited me to dinner and it was absolutely magnificent!”

“Fancy Hat? Isn't he the one who was at the party in Canterlot on Twilight’s birthday? The one who was with Fleur-something?”

“Fancy Pants.” Rarity corrected with an amused smile. “And yes, he was with Fleur De Lis but they broke up. Why do you ask?” She tilted her head, now sewing the collar of the dress.

“Oh please Rare. I'm pretty sure that ‘dinner’ was something a little more. And now that he's back on the market, you wanna fetch him for yourself don't ya?” Dash teased.

“Oh, pff, pah, puh-lease, darling! It's nothing like that! He's much more older than me and besides! He was the one who invited me to dinner!” She scoffed with a slight blush, trying to hide it on her white fur.

“He's only four years older than you.” Rainbow stated flatly.

“So? Just because we went on a friendly dinner doesn't mean we're something more!” She huffed.

“Riigght, I believe you.” She said with a smirk as Rarity pouted. “Anyways, what did you talk about?”

“Casual things that normal friends talk about.” She waved off. “But, he did tell me about another friend of his who had forgotten a very important day to them. It would’ve been fine but, it was the third year in a row. He snapped and yelled and there was quite a bit of tension between them but after a while, they forgave each other. Fancy also said that after yelling at him, he felt a huge weight lift off his shoulders. He needed that.” That piped Dash’s interest.

“Oh? How…how did they forgive each other?” She asked meekly.

“Well if I seem to recall, he mentioned that he'd thought about it and whether he actually wanted to let go years of friendship they had built over something that could be done again? Yes, it was a big deal to him yet, in his heart he found a way to forgive and try all over again. Quite the friendship lesson, don't you agree?”

“Yeah…quite.” Dash said, deep in thought.

“Hmm.” Rarity glanced at her knowingly.

For some reason, that glance unnerved her greatly.

“So!” Rarity began. “I think I'm almost done with the dress. I'll have to do the finishing touches later but, what do you think?” She smiled and brought a large mirror over.

“Woah,” was all that Dash could muster. The dress, although was not done, looked absolutely stunning. The magenta, white and gold dress, hugged her body perfectly and flowed out at the end with some translucent white material and it overall looked amazing.

“Rarity,” she began. “This looks…amazing! Even for me! It looks aerodynamic too.” She joked.

“Well, I'm glad you like it! It's looks better on you than expected.” Rarity grinned. She carefully removed a few pins and brought the dress apart with her magic, proceeding to levitate it over to a mannequin instead.

“Haa,” Dash exhaled. “It's great to be able to move again.” She joked.

“I'm sure it is.” Rarity smiled and shook her head.


The visit to Rarity’s had taken a bit longer than Rainbow had expected but she wasn't complaining. She appreciated getting to spend some time with one of her best friends.

Her and Rarity hadn't always seen eye to eye but they had warmed up over the course of time. At least they weren't as bad as with Applejack…

Dash stretched herself out as she landed outside her cloud mansion, humming an unknown tune to herself.

She glanced at the sun’s position in the sky and confirmed her suspicions. It was way past lunch time. In fact, it was almost time for dinner.

Rainbow shrugged and opened the door.

“Hey guys! I'm—” she was cut off by a plastic wrapped sandwich in her line of sight, hurdling towards her. Her reflexes acted on instinct and she caught the sandwich with both hooves almost losing her balance. It wasn't that it was heavy, it just caught her off guard.

“Nice catch!” A raspy and playful voice complimented her.

“Uhh,” Dash blinked. Soarin and Spitfire were laying on the couch above her and Fleetfoot was standing at the top of the stairs grinning innocently. “Thanks?”

“No problem!” She flashed a smile and hopped towards the two others.

“That was a weird welcome.” Rainbow muttered to herself, chuckling and walked up the stairs to see Spitfire reading a newspaper. Probably the one from this morning.

Curious to see what today's news had in store, she walked up to the edge of the cloud couch and sat down next to her. Glancing at the current article that was being read, she rolled her eyes.

Bugbear attacks were becoming more and more common around the cities and towns near the Everfree. The spot where the creature had bit her still stung.

There were a few more things on Las Pegasus, the next Equestria Games, rumours about Blueblood’s fake hair and other things she wasn't interested in.

“They wrote an article on Soarin’s mom too.” Spitfire suddenly spoke, looking at Dash. Fleetfoot and the one in question were too engrossed in their conversation to be listening. “Says that they suspect something more and that his mother didn't actually die.” She scoffed giving Rainbow a sideways glance. “Some things that ponies come up with.”

“Yeah,” she nodded. “Especially since almost no one knows that his mother left him when he was young.” She casually resumed skimming over the paper waiting for Spitfire to respond. When she got nothing, she lifted her head and was met with surprised stares from all three.

“What?” She asked, raising an eyebrow but then her eyes widened as she realised what she had said.

Red alert.

Shit.

No

Dash gulped subtly and chuckled nervously hoping they'd just brush her of as a ‘stalker’ again.

“How…how did you know?” Soarin asked, the most surprised of them all. “No one…and I mean no one, except my close family and friends know. Then…how?”

Rainbow gulped once again. Well, there went that.

She messed up.

She messed up big time.

This was exactly what she hoped wouldn't happen. This was exactly why she had tried to avoid Soarin.

“Fancy also said that after yelling at him, he felt a huge weight lift off his shoulders. He needed that.”

…Maybe she did too?

“I, uh…I.” Dash’s heart started to beat faster and she gritted her teeth. She decided she didn't like this situation.

What was she supposed to do? What would her friends do?

After a few moments in confliction with herself she gave up and sighed.

“Soarin.” Rainbow glanced towards him and started walking towards the exit. “Come with me. You and I have a lot to talk about.”

He shot her a confused look and followed after her, shrugging to his two other friends behind him.

They flew in silence to who-knows-where. Dash had a determined look on her face as she flew at a steady pace a bit outside Ponyville's borders.

Soarin kept wondering where they were going. Rainbow was wondering what she'd do when they got there.

The land suddenly cleared out to a beautiful field of grass as they flew further and further.

It was quite cloudy, so it wasn't that hard to find a fluffy, soft cloud to land on.

Dash recognised the area for two reasons, both of them connected. Soarin strangely recognized it as well, but couldn't quite put his hoof on it.

“Do you remember this place?” She asked, facing him as she motioned out to the valley.

“It…looks sort of familiar.” He admitted.

“Hm, well, let me rekindle your memory a bit.” Dash stepped closer to him, their chests touching. “Do you remember a certain promise you made? A certain promise made not long before you became a Wonderbolt?!” She asked with force behind her words which made Soarin blink in surprise.

“A promise?” He muttered to himself, backing a bit away from her as he looked onward at the grass.

Everything about it familiar in someway. The smell, the wind, the grass.

His eyes widened in realisation.

“Promise you'll come back?”

“I promise…I'll come back.”

No way.

Soarin looked at her in utter shock, looking for some confirmation to the unasked question. Dash saw the recognition flash in his eyes and coldly nodded.

“Finally coming back, huh?” She stepped closer to him once again but this time, he didn't back away. “This was where it all came crashing down. This is where I waited every bloody, goddamn day waiting for you to come. Waiting for a sign that you remembered me. Every day since you didn't show up, I asked myself, ‘was it really worth it? Was I waiting for nothing?’ Well? Tell me Skies? Was I waiting for nothing?!”

“I…we…you…it,” Soarin stuttered still in shock. Dash huffed and turned away from him looking at the horizon.

“I stood there and watched as you flew in the direction to Cloudsdale, not looking back.” She chuckled bitterly. “I guess that was just the foreshadowing of the future.” She raised her head and looked at the sky. “Do you remember the reason why I didn't join the Wonderbolts?”

“Uh…” it was all coming back to him, like a hazy mirror being cleared of all the mist.

And he remembered.

---

“Dash!” A navy maned Colt excitedly called, bursting through the doors of his best friends dormitory.

“Hm? Oh hey, Soarin!” Rainbow greeted, turning away from a saddle bag filled to the brim with different things on her bed.

“Did ya get your letter from the Wonderbolts? I can't believe it's the final year! The year where one of us gets accepted into the Junior Wonderbolts Academy!” Soarin then waved the light blue letter with a lightning bolt seal in his hoof. “Here's mine! I was hoping we could open it together.” Dash’s ears flopped down.

“Soar, I…I declined my results.” She hesitated. The large grin on his face immediately turned upside down.

“Wha? Why?” He asked, turning away.

“I'm sorry but, I'm moving to Ponyville. I dropped out of Camp just today—thus the saddlebags.” She motioned to the blue pair on the bed. “I was going to tell you later, but you beat me to it by coming here.”

“Why? And at the end of the year?”

“Fluttershy wants to move to Ponyville but she's too afraid to. I'm going with her. Her destiny lies there. Mine? I have nothing left here in Cloudsdale—besides you, Gilda and the Wonderbolts.—My parents are busy most of the time and I need to be there for her, she's like a little sister. I need a change. But, if you maybe don't get accepted, you could come to Ponyville with us?” Dash asked hopefully. “After finishing the year, of course!” She added quickly.

“Maybe.” Soarin sighed.

“Oh come on! This is supposed to be your big moment! Don't let me spoil it!” She smiled and snatched the envelope out of his hooves, opening it.

He chuckled and rolled his eyes looking at the letter with Dash.

“Congrats.” She said after a moment. He looked at her as she managed a watery, sad smile. “You got accepted.

---

“So that's why you knew about how I got my cutie mark? My mother? You…y-you were there.” Soarin finally said after minutes of silence.

“Hm.” Rainbow nodded in confirmation.

“Why didn't you contact me?” He asked, searching her magenta eyes for answers.

Something inside Rainbow snapped.

“Why?” She began in a dangerously low voice as Soarin gulped. “Why I didn't contact you?! Oh I dunno, you're a Wonderbolt. That's why. How could I have even gotten ahold of you? When you were training? When you were performing?! The real question is why didn't you?!” She finally looked at him, brushing her bangs out of her face and he could see the rage boiling in her eyes. Rage that had built up over time.

“How could you have forgotten so easily? Was I not that important to you?!” She continued. “Do you know how I felt? Hurt! Betrayed by my best friend! I waited here every day after that. Hell, I made this my training spot just so I didn't waste time waiting. And you know what?!” She asked, almost spitting onto him. “This is still my training spot after all those years! Do you know what that kind of commitment feels like?! Coming here even though it hurts so much?!”

Soarin had his eyes wide throughout her shouting but as she finished, he narrowed his eyes and pushed back.

“Well, some of us aren't as loyal as you, Rainbow Dash.” They stared at each other, not moving a muscle until Dash scoffed and turned away, spreading her wings.

“You're right. Some of us aren't.” She said coldly and flew off into the sky.

“No, Dash! Wait!” Soarin quickly realised his mistake and yelled out to her but she was too far away. Even if she wasn't, she wouldn't stop. Not for him.

He sat there in silence for a while, wondering what just happened.

“I screwed up. I screwed up big time.” He muttered to himself, burying his face in his hooves.

Out of all of this, Soarin knew one thing. Whatever just happened, was past the point of repair.