• Published 20th Jun 2012
  • 785 Views, 4 Comments

Abductions - Daxisle



Twilight uncovers why Ponyville's occupants are starting to disappear with no explination or trace.

  • ...
 4
 785

Change

Change

Twilight slammed her quill down, she was frustrated, and angrier than she had ever been in her entire life. All remnants of depression she felt for her friend’s death had been replaced by contempt for her killer. She recluded, and shut down the library to all other ponies. She ignored Apple jack, Rarity, and her brother when they came by to see how she was doing one day ago, the day after she saw it... Rainbow Dash's...

The purple mare shook the thought away, and looked back to see she had torn a hole into another piece of parchment and broken another quill. She let out a sigh and was about to call for her assistant to bring her another one before she realized she had scared him away last night. She hadn't slept since then.

Twilight remembered the scared look on the poor dragons face, she didn't mean to say what she said; and she certainly didn't mean to smack him with her fore hoof. But it happened, he left, and she was now alone. The mare had cooled down since yesterday, but her temper was still short and she didn't want to hurt any of her other friends as she did him.

As she stood up from her desk to get another quill and peace of paper; Twilight glanced outside to see ponies had started to come out and wonder alone again. No longer requiring to be in pairs out of fear for being napped. Twilight let out a huff and opened the cupboard to grab the last piece of parchment and one of the last quills. 'They go around as if nothing happened now? I guess they’re over Rainbow Dash's death, I guess that she really didn't mean anything to them.' the enraged unicorn thought to herself before sitting down at her desk. She knew her anger was unjustified, but she couldn't help it, how could everypony be so calm while she was emotionally destroyed?

She looked over to the window; the morning sun was pouring in, its light revealing everything in her room, her overturned bed, the broken candle sticks, and a pile of crumpled papers and snapped writing feathers. Twilight stood again, she marched to the window and slammed the drapes shut. Her last four unbroken candles giving the last remnants of light in the room.

Twilight wished she had a little more information to work with in what tied all of these ponies together. From what she had now, it could be an extremist unicorn. Going around and killing pegasi and earth ponies for not being part of their race. But she was more than certain that if that were the case, Shining Armor would have told her about it. After going over multiple scenarios and theories; including finding any relevant connection between: Rainbow Dash, Thunderlane, Carrot top, Twist and Twist's family, the unicorn came up empty hoofed.

The mare turned to her left to see her reflection in the mirror she used to groom her mane. She hated what she saw; a defeated and useless mare, her friends were missing and probably dead, and her she was failing to find out who the perpetrator was. She felt defeated and out smarted, the Pony in Black probably didn't even have her in mind when he committed the acts, and he still bested her the very trait Twilight defined herself by, and took so much pride in.

Instead of going into a rage and bucking and thrashing wildly like she did the last time the feeling crept into her, Twilight gently put down one of the last precious quills she had left, and strapped a saddle bag onto her back. Her mane and face looked a mess from the lack of sleep, she could cover that up with a bit of grooming and magic, but her sever agitation and anxiety couldn't be hidden so easily if anypony attempted to make conversation with her. She did the best to straighten her mane and bring up the bags under her eyes before she walked outside to get something to eat.

Twilight had to squint as she walked out of her dark home and entered the light, the sun was brighter than it had been since the storm. She turned left but immediately threw her hoof in front of her eyes, shielding them from the bright light coming from some reflective surface, Her pupils contracted and she saw a Peace-colt leaning against the side of Sugar Cube Corner. The mare had completely forgotten about their occupation of Ponyville.

The mare trotted threw Ponyville, attempting to avoid any contact she could. She didn't want to hurt anymore of her friends, and keeping her distance was the best way to make sure that didn't happen. She turned down an alleyway and crept out of the town square to the marketing district. She knew she would need some supplies for traps if she were going to catch her prey.

"Twilight?" A voice called, it was smooth and a lower but still feminine voice. Twilight let out a grunt of frustration; she was not in the mood to speak with Applejack but knew it couldn't be helped now. As the unicorn turned to confront Applejack, she was greeted by not only the orange earth pony, but Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy as well. "What in tar-nation did you think you wer' doin' when ya'll hurt Spike like that?" Applejack's voice was cool and calm, in contrast to her usual low temper and loud speech when one pony brought pain to another, this behavior was almost scary to Twilight.

"I told him to leave; he didn't, so I made him." Twilight seethed a little more venomously than she had intended.

"Twilight, you are not the only one here, who lost a friend." Applejack quipped. Twilight looked into AJ's eyes, she noticed that they were red, puffy, and half closed. Her mane was a tattered and unkempt mess, and her Cowboy hat was covering more of her head than usual, giving her a far more serious and menacing look. "We all miss her, but that doesn't give you the right to hurt Spike, or anypony else."

"If he didn't want to get hurt, he should have left!" Twilight barked, anger filling her eyes.

Applejack's eyes became slits, her previously exhausted look had formed into a scowl. "You think that it's ok to hurt him because your angry? Have you really become so selfish?"

"Girls come on now" Pinkie interjected with a nervous smile, trying to ease the tension cause by her friends staring each other down. "There is no reason to go after each other, i mean, were all friends right?"

Twilight shot a look to the nervous pony. "Friends? Ok, How about you Pinkie." She spat the last word with contempt. "What exactly have you done to find your supposed friend?"

Pinkie Pie's mouth hung open, her eyes full of hurt that stung all the way to her heart. "Twilight, I just meant that-"

"Oh? You just meant what? That you care enough to give lip service about friendship but when it comes to actually showing up to do the work, you'd rather curl up to me or Applejack and hope one of us protects you?" Twilight knew that one would sting.

Pinkie's lip quivered, her typically curly and puffy mane now dangled bone straight around her. Twilight watched, her scowl softening and her tone becoming more light. "Pinkie, I- I'm so sorry. You didn't deserve that." Twilight had finally gotten her emotions under control, and attempted to stop before any more damage was dealt.

"Damn right she didn't deserve that!" Applejack yelled placing her face in Twilights making the purple mare take a step backwards. "I can't believe you: You physically hurt Spike, and then emotionally stab pinkie and I as we attempt to see what we can do to help you?"

Twilight bit back the desire to smack Applejack with her hoof; she knew that it would destroy whatever bridge of friendship they would have left. She looked down and away just hoping that the earth pony would hear her out. "Applejack, I’m not in the best place to deal with this right now, i'm sorry but-"

"You're sorry? Now ya'll are SORRY?" She bore her teeth in an act of intimidation and growing rage. "Tell me Twilight, what exactly are you sorry for? Hurting your friends? Or people being mad at you for doing so?"

Twilight's fuse was getting shorter. She knew she had to get away from Applejack before either of them did something they would both regret. "I have to go." Twilight turned and started walking, before she knew it, Applejack jumped in front of her, attempting to block her path.

"And just where do you think you're goin'?" The cowpony asked expectantly.

Twilight took an calming breath before she spoke "I’m going to find Rainbow Dash's killer."

Applejack was silent for a few moments; she took a deep breath as well and hung her head, no longer wishing to be angry with her friend. "And do what Twi? What is it you think you're going to do?" Her look of stern anger turned compassionate and worried.

Twilight was about to explain when a heated debate broke out between two male unicorns a few meters away. They were having an altercation about an accusation of some kind, the words quickly became shouts, and before long a physical fight. The red furred pony swung his hoof and knocked his blue furred opponent to the ground, he crawled on top of the stallion and they began to beat each other senseless.

"Ugh" Twilight slammed her hoof on the ground, she and Applejack galloped away from Fluttershy who was now attempting to comfort the emotionally distraught Pinkie Pie. Twilight used her powers of levitation to separate one of the two stallions, while Applejack held back the other.

"Let go of me you crazy foal!" Barked the Stallion thrashing wildly. "What are you doing?"

Twilight set the blue stallion down gently, and he turned back to face the crimson pony he had taken issue with, ignoring the unicorns response. "Listen here; I ain’t seen your wife. And if you come at me like that again, I will smash your ugly face into the ground till nopony can recognize you."

"Bring it mother bucker." Barked the red stallion as he tried to move past Applejack. "I know you were around her last night, she told me you two worked together after everyone else went-"

He was interrupted by two silver clad peace-colts tackling him to the ground, he shook in protest attempting to stand, but his front hooves were quickly shackled above his head. "Hey what in the-" A large muzzle suffocated his unborn words. The red pony’s eyes grew wide with fear and confusion as the peace-colts levitated him with their magic.

"You are under arrest for disturbing the peace and aggravated assault." One white furred peace-colt proclaimed.

Twilight and Apple jack called after the peace-colts, only to be met by two more right in front of them. They looked up at the two silver baring pegasi, both mares backing away from them. Suddenly the two stallions leaped forward in unison, Twilight and Applejack ducked to either side expecting to be arrested.

"Hey, hey let me go." A distraught voice called. They both looked to see the red unicorn being pinned down. One of the peace-colts grabbed a muzzle from his belt. "What gives guys?"

"You are under arrest for disturbing the peace and assault." The first guard proclaimed, swinging the muzzle over the red stallions mouth. "If you continue to resist we will not hesitate to use needed force."

"What are you doing? You can't just-" Twilight started, though she was quickly silenced by one of the pegasus glaring at her.

"Are you prompting to interfere with Peace-colt activity, thus obstruction of justice, authority granted to us directly from the crown?" His eyes locked onto hers, a smile twisted on his face. "The penalty for which is imprisonment." he finished, his tone matter of fact.

Twilight's ears limped down, she didn't want to be put in the ponywaggon, but she couldn't believe Princess Celestia would allow this to happen.

The two pegasi finished restraining the troubled pony, and began dragging him to an arriving wagon where his blue counterpart was thrown in. Without another word from anyone, the red pony was mindlessly tossed in, and the two distressed ponies were carried away on the wagon; taken directly to the barracks.

Twilight looked back to Applejack; they had both forgotten what they were fighting about minutes before and stood in complete shock. After the two collected their thoughts, they decided that Twilight needed to inform the Princess about today's events. Applejack told Twilight that Spike was still pretty upset by with her, and the magic mare agreed that it was time to apologize.

After the two ponies approached Fluttershy and the now somber Pinkie Pie. Twilight gave her a hug and apologized profusely. She couldn't believe the monster that the Pony killer had made her into. After a few minutes of comforting, The party pony stood and smiled acceptance of Twilight's apology. The four mares made their way to Sweet Apple Acers. Trees as far as the eye could see, some bearing apples, others were stripped, their apples laying in buckets at the tree base's.

They finally reached the barn where Applejack told Twilight Spike was staying. "Now remember Twi' Spike is still a little upset. It might be best for me to tell him you're about to-"

"I can hear you out there, just come in for Celestia’s sake." Growled an irritated voice from within the barn.

The four ponies went in. the barn was full of hey stacks and wooden beams. Small slivers of sun light came in through the cracks and spaces between the boards of the ceilings and walls. They saw Spike sitting on a bale of hay with his back turned coldly to them. After a few awkward moments of silence, Twilight began to speak but was interrupted by the brooding dragon. "I know that I can be a hassle and a smart mouth," he began, his voice sounding sincere and gloomy. "I know that ever since I hatched, you have done your best to keep me out of harm’s way, take care of me and try to make me as happy as possible. So in a way, I suppose last night was my fault"

Twilight looked in utter shock at the admittance, her eyes started to tear up.

Spike stood up and continued his speech. "I suppose i did fail to be as sensitive as i should have been, and i guess i should not have tried to force you outside-" he was interrupted by a tearful embrace from his oldest friend. She wrapped her hooves around his neck and leaned her forehead on the back of his scalp.

"I'm s- so sorry Spike" Twilight repeated over and over. She did her best to stop her voice from cracking. The unicorn had already lost one friend; she didn't want to lose another. The fear that he would never forgive her began another session of stomach churning. "You have absolu-… absolutely nothing to be sorry for, you were only doing what you thought was best, and I..." Twilight trailed off, hoping he would accept her apology.

"Twilight, I'm not angry with you. I'm more worried than anything." Spike turned around and showed Twilight the rare sight of tears in his eyes. "Please, come back. Bring back the pony I knew weeks ago, the one who smiled all the time, and told great stories, and was there for anypony who needed her."

Twilight broke the embrace, this time it was Spikes turn to be surprised. "I'm sorry Spike." She apologized looking down. She knew that after what had happened, what she had seen, the way it impacted her; she could never go back to the way she was. "I can't just pretend this never happened."

Spike closed his eyes; a pained look overtook his face, realizing what he asked for was indeed a bit farfetched. "I know, and I know you need time."

"Spike I need a favor." Twilight blurted, hoping desperately to get out of the deep conversation that she could tell was to come. She felt terrible about not taking the time to validate Spikes feelings, but she just couldn’t handle anymore drama.

Spike propped himself up on the hay bail and wiped the remaining tears from his eyes. "What do you need Twilight?" his tone less than enthused.

Twilight pulled out the paper and quill she brought with her from the Library, and used the quill to scribble down a quick note. "I need you to send a letter to princess Celestia, the four of us witnessed a bunch of peace-colts viciously arrest two ponies for fighting."

Spike's demeanor changed, one eye brow lifted and with his index claw, he scratched his chin. "Uh Twilight, isn't that what peace-colts are supposed to do?"

Twilight's horn continued to magically use the pen to write as she spoke. "Yes, but I don't think they are supposed to slam you to the ground and muzzle you before they do it."

"Oh." Spike replied giving a look of surprise. "No, I don't think they are supposed to if they can help it."

"Not to mention they didn't even give anypony a chance to talk!" Pinkie interjected grabbing Twilight by the neck. "Why, they didn't even ask them any question, either of them. The two meanie mean heads didn’t even give them a chance to obedient and peaceful. I mean I know I would like to get both sides of the story before I forced a pony down to the ground, but Nooooo. they just slammed them to the ground and said," Pinkie pushed Twilight's head to the ground softly and in a robust and mocking authoritarian voice repeated: "'you are under arrest for disturbing the peace'." Her facial expression made Spike giggle lightly.

Spike looked at Applejack for conformation; expecting the pony to give a little less exaggerated story. To his surprise Applejack only nodded in agreement. He looked at the, up till now silent Fluttershy. "Is that really how it happened?

Fluttershy looked at Spike timidly, "well um, yes actually. They were so mean for no good reason." The yellow peasus confirmed than shrank back into the corner again.

Twilight finished the letter and gave it to Spike. He couldn't believe that peace-colts would do that, but he figured Princess Celestia would have something done about it and in a green belch of fire, the letter evaporated into puff of smoke and escaped out of one of the cracks in the wall. "It's on it way."

Twilight felt a bit of relief, now that those so called "Peace-colts" would be dealt with, she could focus on the task she originally had in mind.

She saw a shadow coming from one of the cracks in the barn, she followed it to a peephole where somepony was looking in. As she reached up to the ponies eye she froze in place recognizing it immediately. She regained her composure this time, knowing her friends were with her and began galloping to the barn wall.

"TWILIGHT WHAT IN TAR NATION?" Applejack exclaimed as the purple Unicorn smashed through the barn wall. After she went created the barns new back door, Twilight looked to her left to see a black coat and hat covered pony running away from her. All the anger she had felt this morning had returned in a quick jolt. He was responsible for all of this, and now he was going to pay. Twilight galloped after the Pony in Black, hell bent on getting the answers and retribution she desperately needed.

A/N, yea a bit of a dry chapter here, next one will be better.