• Published 5th Jun 2016
  • 1,020 Views, 34 Comments

Bookends Part 4: Or Day Of Atonement - Stormbringer



Eight years since Bookends Part 3: Or Family Values. A normal life in Equestria is threatened. After all this time and with foals to protect, are the Main 6 up to the task once more?

  • ...
13
 34
 1,020

CHAPTER THREE: The Trip To Canterlot

Twilight was waiting at the train station, along with Cheerilee and their foals, Celestia and Luna. Rainbow and Zap were there, as were Applejack and Rarity. Trixie was waiting for Pinkie to return from Fluttershy’s. With Applejack and Rainbow having to go, Big Mac had to stay and work the farm.

Looking toward the Everfree Forest, Twilight saw two figures flying her way. One was the dark form of Phantasm but the other wasn’t the yellow Pegasus she was expecting.

On landing, in a green flash, Phantasm changed to Pinkie Pie. The other Pegasus was multicolored.

“Loki,” said Twilight, “where’s Fluttershy?”

“I’m afraid that she can’t come,” said Loki looking concerned, “her doctor has diagnosed her with pre-eclampsia. She needs to be in bed most of the time and take it easy or we could lose the foal or even her life!”

“Oh my,” exclaimed Twilight, “I didn’t know that Fluttershy was with foal.”

“We were going to make an announcement, but she started having some issues so we waited until we went to her doctor and found out about her condition.

Hopefully she won’t be needed, and if left to her own, she might try to go out of loyalty to her friends, but I won’t allow it.”

“And I wouldn’t let her either,” said Twilight. “I just hope we aren’t going to be needing her Element of Harmony.”

“She did send it,” said Loki, “in case it might be of any help.”

Loki extended his wing and held out the Element of Kindness. Twilight levitated it to her saddlebag.

“Twilight,” said Loki quiet enough for only Twilight to hear, “I’ve never felt so powerless. I don’t know how you ponies do it.”

“It’s okay Loki,” said Twilight, giving the Pegasus a hug. “You and Fluttershy will be in our thoughts. Don’t worry about us, take care of your wife. Tell her we’ll come by and see her when we get back.”

“Thank you Twilight,” replied Loki, “take care of yourselves as well. I sense a great danger.”

Loki waved at everypony and flew off toward his and Fluttershy’s cottage by the Everfree Forest.

Twilight looked at her other friends and figured they should get started.

“Okay everypony,” said Twilight, “Let’s get on board so we can sit together.”

They all found a predominately empty coach and sat in their group.

The talk was light, Twilight had told them about what Loki had said about Fluttershy, all were excited for their friend. She also related that the princess didn’t say it was a rush, but Princess Celestia didn’t call them to Canterlot with their Elements just to talk about the weather.

What nopony paid attention to was a dark gray Unicorn with gray mane and tail entered the coach and sat near the front. Why should they, he was just a regular Unicorn stallion, or so he appeared.

He immediately recognized Twilight from their run-in years before. He still had a scar on his muzzle, in his true form, from where Twilight blasted him with her magic. He tried his best not to appear to be watching. Two of the ponies were unknown to him, but the unknown ponies were sitting very close to the pink pony and Twilight, Twilight was even holding the hoof of the one. However, the rest of the ponies with her were ponies he recognized from the same battle. Including the pink mare, was this ‘Pinkie Pie’? Could a Changeling have really fought against The Hive?

They sat just talking and trying not to be too concerned without knowing what the princess was needing.

The foals were on the next bench forward. There Celestia noticed her sister kept looking at a pony at the front of the coach.

“Luna,” said Celestia, “Mama C says it’s rude to stare at ponies, ’specially ones you don’t know.”

Despite being so forward, Zap was very sensitive to his cousins;

“Luna,istheresomethingwrong?”

“I don’t know,” said Luna, “it’s something Mama T and Aunt Pinkie said. I don’t know if I should say something.”

“Is it dangerous?” asked Celestia.

“I think it might be Cici,” said Luna looking a little scared, “and I have the feeling somepony could get hurt. You know the stories our moms tell. This may be the start of something they haven’t had to do for a long time. I don’t want anypony to get hurt. ’specially our moms!”

“Aunts Celestia and Luna are really concerned,” said Celestia.

“I know,” said Luna, “I feel it. It feels like they may be scared too.”

The foals sat quiet for a moment.

“Youshouldgosaysomethingtosomepony,” said Zap in a blur.

“Ok,” said Luna, “I’m going to get Mama T and Aunt Pinkie to come with me. I’ll try to point out the pony without saying much. I’ll get them to go with me to the restroom on the next car. Zap, if anypony follows us, tell your mom to come after us.”

“NoproblemLuna,” said the colt.

“But don’t say anything to anypony unless you have to.” Said Luna.

Her sister and cousin nodded their heads.

They were about halfway into their journey when Luna walked to Pinkie, who was talking to Trixie and Twilight.

“Aunt Pinkie,” said the filly, “will you please take me to the ‘little filly’s room’?”

“You can go by yourself now Sweetie,” said Twilight, “you’re old enough and I doubt you could get lost on a moving train.”

“No mama,” said the filly, “Aunt Pinkie needs to take me, and I think you should come too.”

There was a look on her face that couldn’t be ignored.

The two adults walked forward following the filly. The restroom was on the next car. As they went forward, they passed a dark gray Unicorn with gray mane and tail.

“Hello Mister,” said the filly, smiling as only a naive little child could.

“Hello little filly,” said the pony.

They kept walking forward. When they got to the lavatory, they all three squeezed in.

“Okay Sweetie,’ said Twilight, “what’s this about?”

“After what you and Aunt Pinkie told me about Changey-lings, I thought I should tell you that there’s one on the train.”

Twilight and Pinkie looked at each other and then back to Luna.

“Are you sure?” asked Twilight.

“Yes mama,” said Luna.

“If she says there is,” said Pinkie, “I believe her.”

“That pony you spoke to?” asked Twilight.

“Yes mama, it was the only way I could think of to point him out. I know I’m not suppose to talk to strangers.”

“This time it was appropriate,” said Twilight hugging her daughter, “you did good.”

“Go back to your seats,” said Pinkie, “I’ll handle this.”

“Are you sure you don’t need help?’ said Twilight.

“Yes Twilight,” said Pinkie with a grim look on her face, “if it’s true, I’d rather you and especially Luna not see what I might have to do. It shouldn’t take long, but if I’m not back in about fifteen minutes, come and find me. I’m sorry, but you might need Luna to find us.”

Twilight nodded her head, told Pinkie to be careful and left the lavatory to return with Luna to her seat.

As Twilight sat back in her seat, it was all she could do not to keep looking at the pony her daughter pointed out. A pony she might’ve met once in battle years ago. The thought was frightening now she had children who could be harmed.

The dark gray pony was thinking about the pink pony who was with Twilight and the foal, it had to be ‘Pinkie’. And he wondered why she hadn’t returned with Twilight and the filly.

As he was thinking about this, a train conductor came into the coach and was examining tickets.

He sat there wondering how he could approach the pink one as the conductor walked up to him.

“Ticket please,” said the conductor.

The Unicorn gave the ticket to the conductor who scrutinized it intently.

“Did you buy this ticket today?” asked the conductor.

“Yes,” said the gray pony, “just before boarding. Is there a problem?”

“There’s an irregularity, nothing to be too concerned about,” said the conductor, “come with me so we can speak to the chief conductor.”

The pony got up and followed the conductor, sorry for now he had to loose sight of Twilight and her companions. But he mustn’t give himself away. Plus he might see where the pink one went. They were on a moving train, Twilight or any of her companions weren’t going anywhere soon.

They passed through several cars until they got to the baggage car. Once inside, the conductor closed the door and locked it.

“What’s this all about?” asked the gray pony, unsure of this change of circumstance.

There was a green flash and where the conductor stood was now Phantasm.

“I was going to ask you the same thing,” said Phantasm.

They gray pony smiled, not believing it was going to be this easy to contact the unknown Changeling. Quickly, the gray pony took his true form.

“I come with greetings from our queen,” said the Changeling. “She wanted you to know you’re not abandoned. We didn’t know you were here.”

“Thank you,” said Phantasm, “but you bring greetings from your queen, not mine. I have two princesses and that arrangement works very well for me, thank you.”

“But Queen Chrysalis is eager to have you return to The Hive,” said the Changeling, unable to understand why this Changeling didn’t want to go home.

“I have something you might not be able to understand, a ‘life-debt’, and I take it very seriously. Plus I have a wife and friends here who love me for me, the real me. So I’m content with my life here and I’m not eager to leave.” Said Phantasm, then her voice took on threat. “So if you want to see your precious Hive again, leave now and never return...

Or else!”

“I can’t do that,” said the Changeling, “my orders are to contact you and convince you to remember your true place and allegiance to The Hive and our Glorious Queen.

There’s work which needs to be done in Ponyville. The queen is counting on your cooperation. I’m not returning to The Hive without you.”

“Then you’re not returning to the Hive. I’m truly sorry for this,” said Phantasm, her face looking sad. “Understand you left me no choice.”

The Changeling was sure a physical attack was going to come. He was ready for this, he was larger and obviously stronger, a trained and battle hardened soldier. He knew he could physically overwhelm her and easily bring her back.

But what happened next, he couldn’t have anticipated.

There was a green glow on Phantasm’s horn and in her eyes. Suddenly the Changeling realized what was happening, but he didn’t believe it. He felt as if his very soul was being sucked out. Then it struck him too late.

“You’re Phantasm!” said the Changeling, his knees buckling and falling to the floor.

He looked up at Phantasm, there were tears in her eyes.

“Only a...” then the Changeling was silent.

The act was so sickening to Phantasm she opened the outside door and vomited. When in control of herself, she returned to the Changeling.

Phantasm changed back to Pinkie and helped the Changeling up. There was an almost blank look on his face.

Pinkie reached out her hoof and lifted his face to look into her eyes.

“Listen,” said Pinkie, “your name is Digger, you’ll change into an Earth Pony, your cutie mark will be a shovel. You’ll get off at the next stop, it’s an agricultural community. There you'll find work as a carrot farmer. You’ll forget all about this and all about being a Changeling, understand?”

The Changeling nodded his head and became a green Earth Pony.

“Now follow me to your seat and do as I’ve commanded.”

Trixie was the first to see Pinkie return, she was being followed by a green Earth Pony. Pinkie directed him to the seat where the gray Unicorn had been seated.

Pinkie said something quietly to the stallion then returned to her friends. When she got to Trixie, Pinkie sat and buried her face in Trixie’s chest and started to cry.

“Children,” said Rarity levitating a small bag of bits to the kids. “Go get a snack in the dining car. And bring back the change.”

“And don’t hurry,” said Applejack.

“Yes ma’am,” replied the foals.

As they left, Twilight and the rest looked at Pinkie.

“What’s wrong My Love?” asked Trixie.

Pinkie drew her head back and looked at her friends. They all had, by now, gathered around her.

“I almost had to kill a pony,” said the pink pony.

“Oh Honey,” said Trixie, tightened her embrace.

At that moment, the train stopped at a small station and the green pony got off and was seen on the platform as they moved on.

What nopony on the train saw was a light red Pegasus land by the green Earth Pony. The newcomer was distressed that the pony was unresponsive. The light red Pegasus had been in the back of the car where nopony could noticed and had watched as the gray Unicorn left the car with the conductor, but the pink Earth Pony sat the green Earth Pony in his seat. When the pony exited the Pegasus left out of the back of the train.

“Was he the one?” asked Twilight.

“Yes,” said Pinkie, “I’ve found out The Hive is aware I’m here. He said there was work to be done in Ponyville. They want me to return. But I can’t, I won’t.

He wouldn’t take no for an answer, so...

So...

I had to drain him!”

“Drain him?” exclaimed Pinkie’s friends quietly.

“I’m able to drain, not only love but the life-force of a pony. I took enough from him to allow him to live as a simpleminded being. I commanded him to be an Earth Pony and to get off at the agricultural community to be a carrot farmer.

I now carry a part of him and I feel dirty.”

Pinkie broke down and cried on Trixie some more.

“Now Honey,” said Trixie, “you did what you had to do.”

“I could’ve done this during our battle with the Changelings, but I would’ve given myself away,” said Pinkie sobbing. “I’ve hidden it because I didn’t want you ponies to think I’m some kind of vampire.”

“Nonsense,” said Rainbow Apple, “and you were more merciful than I would’ve been. If I were you, I would’ve changed into Bulk Biceps and pounded that pony through the floor and let the wheels take care of him.”

“Rainbow!” exclaimed Twilight, Cheerilee, Applejack, Rarity and Trixie.

Pinkie looked at her friends, trying to get the crying under control.

“But Rainbow might be right,” said Pinkie, the tears slowing. “I’ve all but killed what made him himself anyway. Plus there’s still the possibility he wasn’t alone.

And when he doesn’t report back, they’ll look for him. To have killed him might’ve been more merciful for him and safer for us. If they do find him, they’ll figure out what happened and know it was I who did it and they’ll look for me even harder, the real me, not Pinkie Pie.”

“Why’s that,” asked Rarity.

“Not all Changelings can do what I do. Just as there are Earth Ponies, Unicorns, Pegasi and Alicorns, we have different types as well. Even though we don’t look it to you, we aren’t all the same,” said Pinkie, “my type is rare.”

Before Pinkie could explain more, the children returned.

“Back already,” asked Rainbow.

Zap replied;

“Theysaidthatwe’dbestoppingatCanterlotsoonandtheyhadtocloseup.”

“What?” came the reply from most of the adults.

“We’ll be in Canterlot soon,” said Celestia, as always being the translator, “so they had to close the car.”

“Already?” said Twilight.

The time had gotten away with them talking to Pinkie.

“Rainbow,” said Applejack, “if’n you and my brother ever have another foal, try decaf while you’re nursin’!”

Despite the happenings with the Changeling, they all laughed, including Pinkie.

“I’ll remember that,” said Rainbow obviously rubbing her abdomen.

“Rainbow?” said Applejack, expressing everypony’s shock.

“Fluttershy isn’t the only pony expecting. I was going to tell you but this trip came up,” said Rainbow. “I guess now’s a good a time as any.”

Then Rainbow called out to her son.

“Zap, come over here a moment little guy.”

Zap and the rest of the foals walked to the adults. Rainbow had Zap sit in her lap, she held the colt’s hoof.

“Yesmom?” said Zap.

“What would you think of being a big brother?” said Rainbow.

“Really?When?”

“In about seven months,” said Rainbow, stroking the colt’s Rainbow mane.

“That’dbegreat,” said Zap faster due to excitement,

“whenyougogetthefoal,makesureyoubuyacolt.There’senoughfillieswithLunaandCici!”

The adults all laughed at the statement, they were getting use to hearing Zap talk.

“Sister-in-law, I think you have some ’splainin’ to do,” said Applejack.

The mares all happily hugged Rainbow and Zap.