• Published 20th Jun 2012
  • 2,510 Views, 52 Comments

Broken Rainbows - AstonMartinLover



Rainbow Dash tries to regain lost skill after suffering a crippling injury

  • ...
2
 52
 2,510

Frustration

Chapter 10: Frustration

After about a month, Rainbow Dash was finally cleared to leave the hospital. Her spine had rebuilt itself, along with basic bone structures.

However, as the doctors had originally anticipated, not everything had healed. Her front left leg was in horrible pain constantly. She had to hobble through the halls of the hospital.

That wasn't the worst part though. In that regard, Rainbow was actually better off. She had originally anticipated needing a walker. Instead she merely had to wrestle with an indefinite limp.

The worst part was that the doctors could find nothing medically wrong with her wings. They were apparently, perfectly healthy. She tried explaining, rather angrily to them, that they did not work, and something had to be wrong with them.

Initially they had done psychological testing of her, then Twilight began searching through her books for possible curses that had been placed on the rainbow pegasus.

Still, Rainbow's wings flew horribly out of sync. One of the doctors suggested that it was indeed Rainbow's mental state that was causing her wings to fail. This idea seemed to bring out the worst out of the pegasus. Even in her weakened state, she nearly succeeded in hurling her bedside table at the doctor.

And so, after a tumultuous stay, and with far more questions that answers remaining, Rainbow Dash was released from the hospital. She limped out the front door, having denied needing a wheelchair.

And she exited, the sun blinded her. She put her hoof up over it. She could see a proud looking pegasus standing before her as she received her first dose of natural light in months.

It was Scootaloo. The element was still around her neck. That was okay.

Rainbow Dash remembered how excited she was the first time she put it on. But today Scootaloo had a job to. She had to carry Rainbow Dash up to her cloud home. Fluttershy, her only other pegasus friend, had been forced out of town due to business with Princess Celestia.

And so, this was a difficult feat. Scootaloo had developed into a strong flier, and had grown considerably, but she was still smaller than Rainbow Dash.

"So how you been doing squirt?" Rainbow asked. Scootaloo grinned the widest of grins and gave the pegasus a hug.

"Just fine. Been doing just fine." Rainbow patted her on the back with her good hoof, forcing her to put weight on her bad one. She grimaced and nearly collapsed to the ground. Scootaloo was quick to hold her up.

"Oh c'mon squirt. You're making me feel like a senior citizen." Rainbow said playfully, as the younger pegasus helped her reclaim her balance.

Scootaloo looked at Rainbow in her position, and winced. She had never seen the world beating pegasus look so defeated. So weak. So helpless.

"Oh c'mon. Don't give me that look. Just give me a lift okay?"

Scootaloo nodded. "You got it Rainbow Dash."

The trip up was not comfortable.

Scootaloo came to a stop at the front door. She pushed it open and set Rainbow down.

"Sorry if it was a little bumpy. It's the first time I've been a shuttle service."

Rainbow shrugged. "It's alright. Nothing a little more training won't solve."

Scootaloo's face flashed with anger. Rainbow backed off a little. It was a strange looking anger. One she had not seen from the young pegasus before.

"Scoots? You alright?"

Scootaloo shook her head. "Yeah fine. Training. I should do that. Sorry. This whole thing...it's got me a bit wired, ya know.."

They stared at each other awkwardly.

"Well uh...have a good night I guess." Scootaloo said. She turned to leave.

"Well hey, you can stay for a bit." Rainbow said.

"Well...the others down there probably need me. Discuss the whole element thing, ya know? I really should go. They'll be back from their meeting with the Princess soon." She was scared. Scared of seeing Rainbow Dash in such a way. And she needed to get out. She needed to clear her head.

She turned and stretched her wings. With an effortless lunge she took off.

Rainbow's ears went back. "Oh...well...okay then." She turned and limped deeper into her cloud home.


It was late in the evening. The sun was going down in Ponyville. Rainbow Dash sat in her bathroom, staring at the mirror.

The changeling was right. Her fire was gone. Extinguished by stupidity and arrogance.

The pony looking back at her had a crooked mane, rings around her eyes, and an upside down smile. A body that was skinny and out of shape, due to months of inactivity. And that stupid, crippling, pointless limp.

She suddenly felt a wave of rage course through her. She punched the mirror, sending fragments flying through the air. She continued punching, letting out a roar of frustration. It wasn't fair. To have it all fall apart now. When she was still young. Still nearing her prime.

She continued punching the mirror until she could no longer see herself. Her hoof throbbed. Blood began pouring out. She grasped it and whimpered in pain. She looked down at the wound. Gashes from the fragments.

It wouldn't stop. The blood just kept on coming. And she thought now, why stop it?

"Why couldn't they just let me die?" She asked herself. "Twilight being goody goody four shoes, keeping me alive."

She thought of the changeling's words. The words that had come from Rainbow's own mouth. Nopony gets ready to die. Was that true? Was this a circumstance where dying was acceptable? And if so, was she ready? Was it really worth living a life where she had to ring a bell to get somepony to shuttle her to and from her own home?

She hated having to live like this. But then again, this was no way to die. And she damn sure wasn't ready.


Celestia's horn hummed as it's magic lowered the sun yet again. Luna stood next to her, waiting for the cue. Upon the sun's final ray, her horn powered up. The moon rose into the sky, bathing the landscape in it's ghostly glow.

"Sister. There is something I must ask of you." Luna said.

"What?"

Luna sat down upon the balcony. "Do you recall that mountain?"

"I recall many mountains. Our kingdom is full of mountains." Celestia replied snidely.

Luna frowned. "You know full well which mountain I speak of."

Celestia sighed. "Yes Luna. To the west. Near the coast. Yes. I remember it quite well. You and I nearly died atop that mountain."

Luna shrugged. "Well...I did. The waters healed me. Brought me back from within an inch of death." Her gaze hardened. "If it could bring me, an alicorn, back from death, what could it do for Rainbow Dash?"

Celestia looked upon her sternly. "It could kill her."

Luna returned her sister's gaze. "It could also restore her to what she once was. If this becomes a war, we will need her."

Celestia took a deep breath. "What of the child? Scootaloo?"

"She is as you say. A child. We can't allow a child to become a soldier in a war."

Celestia sniffled. "Is this what they have become Luna? Soldiers fighting a war. My innocent subjects...forced to become soldiers."

"I wish we could avoid this sister." Luna said softly. "But she must regain her physical form."

Celestia sighed. "There have been few things I have always been able to count on in this life, Luna. But I have always counted on Rainbow Dash. She has always been Equestria's guardian of the sky. And you are absolutely right. She must return."


Two changelings landed in the small clearing. The everfree forest had ended up providing the perfect hideout for Chrysalis and her schemes.

These were two very important changelings. Due to the item that they brought with them.

They laid it down on the ground. It was a green orb. A dreadfully powerful object.

To drop it would be a world scale catastrophe. This orb carried enough killing power to level a small country. And that was exactly what Chrysalis had in mind for it.

And the weapon that would carry this orb was nearing the end of construction.

"My queen. I wish to ask you a question." One of the changelings asked.

"Speak then." Chrysalis replied.

"Does this not seem like overkill? Is it really worth killing millions to punish a single soul? She won't even live long enough to feel the full effect of your vengeance my queen..."

Chrysalis laughed. "You think I wish to kill Twilight Sparkle?" She continued laughing. "Not at all! I'm going to make her watch. That will be her punishment."


Weeks had passed now. Ponies came to visit as often as they could. Mostly her fellow pegasi however. The earth ponies and unicorns only visited when they were able, due to their lack of wings. Rainbow was not the most generous host anymore however. She would usually be quite rude with her friends, and as much as it broke their hearts to do so, they visited less and less.

But Rainbow Dash had finally begun adjusting to immobile living.

See, Rainbow Dash had discovered the one great advantage of losing her edge.

She could sleep all day. Nopony had any reason to bother her. She couldn't help them anyway. And this had somewhat improved her almost constantly rotten mood.

It was now 12:00. Rainbow remained in bed, snoring softly.

There was a knock at her door.

"WHAT?" She snapped, the morning frustration already heavy.

"It's Princess Celestia." A calm voice replied.

Rainbow speed-limped through the cloud house. She hastily opened the door. She bowed awkwardly, the feeling in her bones still a bit numbed.

"Good morning Rainbow Dash. We have much to discuss."

Rainbow Dash was hesitantly led into her living room.

"Am I in trouble princess?"

"You've done nothing wrong Rainbow Dash. But there is...an opportunity that must be spoken of."

Rainbow hastily limped to her bathroom and showered. Ten minutes later, she was out. She returned to find her living room crowded with ponies.

The mane five. Scootaloo. Luna. They were all there.

"What's going on?"

Luna cleared her throat. "In the period following my...rehabilitation from being Nightmare Moon, I was unable to perform my duties as Princess. I couldn't be sure of myself anymore. I was unsure of who I was, and whether or not I had truly become good again." She sighed. "I needed a path. And I found one. A mountain. Far from Ponyville. Far from the Canterlot. Far from the Everfree Forest. A place of solitude. A place of beauty. I used it to become one with myself spiritually. To reaffirm faith in myself."

She paused. "I believe you need to go to this place Rainbow Dash. Scootaloo is a fine substitute."

Rainbow looked to Scootaloo. She seemed to cringe a little at being called a substitute. Her self esteem issues were big enough already.

"But Equestria needs you. Again. And we need you the way you were. A hero."

Rainbow Dash sat down on her cloud recliner. "Really? You guys think I was a hero?"

Twilight rolled her eyes. Rainbow Dash's ego was one that needed to be nourished often.

"Yes Rainbow. You were a superhero."

Rainbow turned red. "Oh stop."

"This mountain will test you Rainbow Dash. It will test your physical state. It will test your willpower. But if you ever wish to be what you once were, you must make the climb."

Rainbow Dash sank back into the recliner. Her thoughts were serious now.

Celestia came forth now. "You have been inactive for a long time. I can see it. Your body is no longer in it's physical prime. You are underweight. And whether you know it or not, you're slowly dying. Every moment you spend lazing about in this home, you are killing yourself Rainbow Dash. And I hate to sound cold but...you're no use to your nation dead. We need...we need Rainbow Dash back. That confident, brash, heroic soul. She must return." Her eyes were pleading.

Rainbow Dash let out a deep breath. Her face was contorted in pain from being confronted with all this at last.

"What...What if that Rainbow Dash can't come back? What if she doesn't exist anymore?" Her voice cracked.

Luna looked into her eyes. "She does. I can see her now. Trying to break out of this hollow shell. You must do this Rainbow Dash. For Equestria. For yourself."

"We all know you can do it Rainbow." Fluttershy offered softly. Rainbow threw her a comforting smile.

"Thanks Shy. But...I'm gonna have to say no."

Everypony in the room gasped.

"I'm sorry Princesses. I just don't think I have it in me. I'm retired now."

Applejack stood up. "Are you serious right now?"

Rainbow looked up at her, a tear in her eye. "W-What?"

"You say you're retired. From what? From friendship? Cause lately, that's what it's felt like!" She trotted towards the reclining pegasus. "You have a chance to get everything back. Everything you had. And you say no! Because it involves getting off your flank, getting up, and trying!"

Rainbow Dash got up from her recliner. "You're not the one who got tossed off a cloud!"

"Who's fault was that anyway RD? We all told you to wait up! But you couldn't listen! You're skull's too darn thick!"

"You wanna have it out right here AJ?" Rainbow Dash demanded, putting up her hooves. The truth in her friend's words was pinching a nerve in the pegasus.

"That's always been you're problem." Applejack snarled, getting right up in her face. "Sometimes it seems like all you do is sleep and pick fights you can't win."

Rainbow Dash reached out and punched Applejack in the muzzle. She was sent reeling back, her hat falling to the floor.

"Alright! That's enough!" Princess Celestia shouted. Her horn emitted a force field between the two ponies.

"I have the right to stay right here!" Rainbow shouted. "I gave my service to Equestria and I suffered for it!"

"You served yourself!" Applejack shouted. "Look Rainbow. I love you. You're one of my best friends. But sometimes, you're just so full of it."

"Shut up AJ! If it weren't for all of you, I wouldn't even have to put up with this right now!"

The room became silent. Twilight Sparkle gasped. "What are you saying Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow Dash panted heavily, sweat forming. "I never had a say in you keeping me on life support."

The ponies in the room silently absorbed the gravity of her words.

Applejack stared into her eyes. She breathed heavily. Her anger turned to sadness.

"I'm sorry Rainbow. I'm sorry we fought so hard to keep you on it." Applejack said. "If that's how you feel. But I have to ask you something."

"What?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"How are we supposed to believe in you, if you don't believe in yourself?"

Rainbow Dash's eyes watered. She looked around at the saddened ponies. "I never asked any of you to believe in me."

Scootaloo stood up now. "I believe in you Rainbow. Please...try to make the climb. Please."

Rainbow shook her head. "I'm sorry squirt. I just...don't have it in me."

Princess Celestia lowered the force field. Then she looked down sadly at Rainbow Dash.

"You're right. You don't have to do anything. You can stay here and...enjoy your retirement. You can continue this life of isolation. But before you do, I need to tell you something. Thunderspark..."

"Yeah. Where is that mutt?" Rainbow asked jokingly. Thunderspark had never come to visit her.

"He's dead Rainbow Dash." Celestia said gravely. Rainbow was rendered speechless. "He was killed by Queen Chrysalis. He died trying to avenge you."

Rainbow returned to her recliner and sat back, staring off into the distance. "Nopony wanted to tell me?"

The others looked down at the floor, guilty. Celestia stayed firm. "I ordered them not to. I figured the last thing you needed in your fragile emotional state, was news of that nature."

"Now the truth is I don't care if you want to go through with this or not Rainbow. But don't you ever...EVER talk about ending your life again. Because I refuse to accept that Thunderspark died in vain."

Rainbow Dash nodded, her muzzle dripping with tears.

There was a silence. Rainbow Dash remained in deep thought.

"I'm sorry I hit you Applejack." She said, finally breaking the silence. "I've just been so...you know. Please understand?" Her words were desperate.

Applejack sighed, then leaned down and gave her old friend a hug.

"I understand RD. Forgive and forget."

She got up. Rainbow Dash continued looking off into the distance, at nothing in particular. She was weighing her options.

"Am I going alone?" She asked.

"No. You can have a guide. Anypony you want." Luna explained.

She sighed. She groaned as she forced her back muscles into activity to get up on her hooves. "Okay. I'm in."

The six surrounded her and almost suffocated her in a group hug. Rainbow felt the supportive pats and mane tousling from her friends. She smiled.

"I can do this."

"Of course you can Rainbow Dash." Luna said. "You must."

"So who am I going with?" She looked around. "Fluttershy?"

Fluttershy hopped up excitedly. "Of course I will..."

"No." Celestia interrupted. "I'm sorry. You six are being moved to Canterlot effective immediately. The elements must remain secure and on guard. The changelings WILL return. Soon."

Rainbow Dash threw her hooves in the air. "So what? Am I supposed to go alone?"

"There must be somepony who could take you up there." Twilight said. "Somepony with experience in things like these."


The six turned to leave. Fluttershy stayed behind.

"I really wanted to go with you Rainbow..."

Rainbow managed a smile and patted her on the back. "I know Fluttershy. I understand. Go. Equestria needs you."

She turned and left with the others. Rainbow Dash watched them go. They had more important places to be. Equestria needed all of them.

"Hey squirt!" Rainbow Dash called.

"Yeah?" Scootaloo asked.

"If you have to face Chrysalis...don't. Don't face her." She smirked confidently. A glimmer of the old Rainbow Dash appeared. "As soon as I'm back on my hooves, she's all mine."

"Okay Rainbow Dash." Scootaloo said, smiling.

"Promise?" Rainbow asked.

Scootaloo nodded. "I promise Rainbow. She's all yours." She turned and flew off.

Celestia left as well. Only Luna remained with her.

"You are about to endure a very long, rough road. Your body will threaten to quit on you. You must push it. You need to get fit again. To heal your body and your mind. I'd go with you myself, but I have to stay and guard Equestria with the others."

Rainbow nodded. "Don't worry about me Princess. I know somepony."

Luna looked down at the pegasus. She could see now just how lonely she truly was. She was alone up here in this house. Until today, she had made it a hobby of driving her friends away. The pegasus hated the idea of them pitying her. But in doing so, she had become isolated.

Luna sat down next to the pained pegasus. She gently tousled her mane. Rainbow looked up at the blue alicorn.

"Do you want me to stay awhile? You look like you need somepony to talk to."

Rainbow Dash took a deep breath, then nodded, leaning against the mighty princess. "Sure. Make yourself at home."


Scootaloo placed the glowing element around her neck. She giggled excitedly.

"You think I'll make her proud AJ?" She asked.

Applejack sighed. "Well she's always been a hard one to please. But I'm sure you'll do just fine."

"You think I'll be just as good?" Scootaloo asked.

Applejack chuckled. "Nopony'll ever be as good as Rainbow."

Scootaloo smirked. "You're right. I'll be better."