• Published 7th Jul 2016
  • 917 Views, 46 Comments

Detective Rarity in The Haunted Carousel - FourShadow



Detective Rarity is called to solve a mystery with a cursed amusement park...

  • ...
3
 46
 917

Harlan Bishop

Rarity briskly walked over to the gate entrance to the park, ready to meet the security guard. As she approached the entrance to the park, she picked on a few things that were clearly seen. For one, the park was obvious aquatic themed based on the title, but over the front entrance was some water artwork, along with the sign for the park, along with its logo. Its logo was in the shape of an orange life buoy with a cartoon of a shark sitting on a ring, in a striped swim outfit, a sailor captain's cap, black shades, and it was giving a grin. The other obvious thing noticable was the sign on the gate that said 'Sorry, We're Closed'.

"Closed. Of course." Rarity stated as she was observing the decor of the park entrance. The way it looked was pretty well done, and she was considering taking some of her friends over to this place once it ever reopened.

But as she was about to step in, an announcement went over the PA.

"Will the young lady who stepped into the park please make their way over to the whale's mouth on the left. Thank you."

Rarity turned her head to the left and saw what he was talking about. Over on the left, she saw a door that read 'Ahoy Mateys, Employee's Only', and the way the decoration was set, was looking like a giant whale was gonna eat whoever stood in its mouth.

So Rarity, walked right into the room, and was greeted by a security guard, spinning his chair to face her. He was regular skin, dark hair that was short, and he had a heavy Jersey accent.

"Well from the way you walked in past all those 'Sorry We're Closed' signs, you're either who I think you are, or you're one determined gatecrasher." The guard started off.

"If you believe I'm Rarity, then you are absolutely correct sir," Rarity smiled.

"That's a relief. Its too early in the day to go sicking the cops on anybody. Oh, I'm Harlan Bishop." Harlan then shook hands with Rarity, which she much obliged.

"Are you currently the only security guard on duty today?" Rarity asked.

"Yes I am. I asked Ms Lancie to keep me on while the park's closed today. Even agreed to a pay cut."

"So, you're not intimidated by all of the activity regarding the 'curse'?" Rarity asked with some interest.

"Someone swiped a horse of a carousel and now its malfunctioning. The police don't think its a big deal, and frankly, neither do I."

Rarity was slightly more than peeved. Maybe it wasn't a big deal for the carousel, but it still matters that one of the parts was stolen and she needed to know why. However, she still kept her cool as she conversed with Harlan.

"So, do you believe the carousel started up because some wires may have gotten a bit of damage to the due?"

"It makes sense to me. Of course I'm no expert. And Ingrid swears she can't find anything wrong with the carousel's electrical system, but then, I kind of think she doesn't want to." Harlan replied.

This peaked Rarity's interest. She thought Harlan was the only one gonna be working during the shutdown. But if there were other people working during it, then it'd be a good idea to see who they were, and they could be added to the suspect list.

"May I ask who is Ingrid?" Rarity raised a brow.

"Ingrid Corey. You'll probably be meeting her, she's working during the shutdown too. She's the park's chief engineer, believes in all of this wacky new-age pyscho-biogenic stuff, like if you eat food that's served from a waiter in a bad mood you'll get scurvy or something."

Rarity's look alone was deranged. She didn't have a way to respond to that, but she would end up talking to her anyway, so she just continued.

"Is there anyone else working in the park today other than you?" she asked.

"There's Elliott Chen, the park's art director, but you won't be seeing him until after you've seen Joy Trent, the park's bookkeeper. In fact, she's your next stop." he finished.

"She is?" Rarity asked.

"Those are Ms Lancie's orders. Joy pays all of the bills so she basically knows everything that's going on. And she'll give you an access card, Ms Lancie wants you the run of the place."

"That would certainly help." Rarity smiled.

But Harlan remembered something else he was gonna give her.

"Wait, hold on, I know Joy won't give you one of these, so I will."

From the desk he pulled out two cards that had pictures of a crab cartoon character, with what looked like a reader on the bottom of it, and words that read 'Insert Card At This End'.

"They're Captain's Cove Fun Cards. They let you ride the rides and play the games on the midway. I figured I'd give you two since I heard you brought a friend to help you on the case. Am I correct?" Harlan asked.

"Yes, you are. My friend Pinkie in fact is at the hotel waiting for me to get her once I'm done here." Rarity replied smiling.

"Good to hear." Harlan then gave the cards over to Rarity which she graciously accepted.

"Come back to me if you burn through those and you need another one." Harlan replied.

But a thought had crossed Rarity's mind.

"Why wouldn't Joy give me one of these?" Rarity asked with some worry.

"Well you see Joy's just kind of joy-less. It never occurred to her that you might want to have some fun while you're here. Plus, she's a newbie too, like me. Maybe she'll come around." Harlan then gave Rarity a small bit of paper which was a map of the entire park. "Anyway here's the map of the park. I've put an X where Joy's office is."

"Thank you darling, that's very helpful." Rarity cooed.

Another thought crossed Rarity's mind. There were video monitors connected to the camera's, and one of them was connected to the carousel.

"I see you have a security camera set to monitor the carousel. Does that mean you might possibly have the footage of the theft on tape?" Rarity was a little excited. If the thief was caught on camera, then maybe this case would be done quicker.

"We didn't star monitoring until after the theft. But we do have one of those so called 'hauntings' on tape. Want to see?" Harlan offered.

"Yes I do. I'd be very much interested to see the tape."

"I have the tape all cued up. I played it for the police. And like I said before, they weren't real impressed." Harlan replied after pulling out the tape and putting it in the player.

The video appeared on one of the monitors giving a shot of the carousel during the middle of the night. The beginning showed a bit of static, just before revealing the lights going on, and the carousel starting up. But the lack of sound didn't help make it any better.

"There's no sound, on the tape at least. The band organ started when the carousel did. Ran for about 30 seconds then stopped."

Once the tape was over, Rarity turned her attention back onto Harlan and continued to talk.

"Mr Harlan, I must ask, have you ever tried to prove the screwed up wiring theory?"

Harlan shook his head no. "I ain't no cop, but maybe since you and... what was your friend's name?"

"Pinkie."

"Maybe since you and Pinkie are here, maybe you two can prove it for me."

"I think we probably might. Oh speaking of which, I should probably get moving. I got some more areas to investigate and I should get Pinkie. Thank you for your time." Rarity beamed.

"Not a problem."

And with that, Rarity kindly exited the security office back outside to the main gate, where she got a surprise.

"Hey Rarity!" A high pitched voice called.

Rarity was so shocked she fell and hit the ground on her back. Luckily she wasn't harmed in any way.

"Oh sorry Rarity. My bad!"

The voice was coming from Pinkie who had been waiting for her to come out of the security office.

"Pinkie? What are you doing here?"

"My Pinkie sense went off. It told me to go meet you here, and now since you're out, I'm here! Also Ms Lancie called and told me to just go on ahead with you." Pinkie smiled as she was still full of energy.

"Oh, well, that saves me the trouble of walking back I guess. Glad to see you came." Rarity smiled as her friend helped her back up.

"So, here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna go meet Joy Trent, the park's bookkeeper to get an employee access card, which should allow us to get into further areas of the park."

"Oki-doki-loki. Lead the way." Pinkie grinned.

But before they walked on out, Rarity thought back to Pinkie's reply on saying Ms Lancie called her and wanted to know what was given as orders.

"Wait, before we go darling, what exactly did Ms Lancie say?"

"She said that all the rides are shut down except for the carousel and we should take a look at the roller coaster even if we can't ride it. Plus the police are lazzzyyy! And her phone's always on. And we should just call her Paula."

"Oh, okay. Good to know. Now come Pinkie, we must go find Joy."

"Oooh!" But then Pinkie zoomed back looking at the whale decoration above the employee door. "The whale is number one on my suspect list!" she giggled.


Pinkie and Rarity then with a smile, headed off into the park to begin the mystery. Both of them looked in awe and amazement to see all of the amusement park rides and what other sorts of fun that was there. They could see a ride called the Tidal Terror Roller Coaster which they could tell seeing the tracks sticking out from the outside of the building as well as the giant red octopus on it. Another attraction that caught their eye was the Demons of the Deep Haunted House. They definitely would need to investigate that later. But for now, it was off to Joy Trent!

Author's Note:

This chapter was a little experimental. Just tell me what you guys think, and if there are some constructive criticisms, I'll apply them onto the next chapter.