• Published 6th Jun 2016
  • 1,572 Views, 32 Comments

Imprisonment of a Changeling - Southern Wing



The attack on Canterlot by Queen Chrysalis had far more reaching effects than realized. It started anew an old conflict that now threatens to embroil all ponykind.

  • ...
6
 32
 1,572

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner

The train chugged into Canterlot Station as night fell. Fluttershy, Winter, Sev and Rain gathered their things and exited the train, along with the guards. Four more guards were at the station waiting for them. “This way, please,” the leader of the guards asked.

“So Celestia assigned this many guards for us?” Sev asked inquisitively.

“Yes, the Princess wanted to make sure you got to your destination safely.”

“I see,” Sev replied, unconvinced.

“Mr. Divine, I understand why you may be wary. Gilded may be a friend, but what he did was unacceptable.”

“I’m still keeping an eye on you. I promised Wing that I’d look after Fluttershy and Winter.”

“I can accept that fact.”

The group started walking to the castle. The streets were mainly filled with guards, with a few civilians out. Sev kept a sharp eye out on any potential trouble in any form.

“Keep close, Flutters. That goes double for you, Rain and Winter.”

“Right,” said Fluttershy. She got closer to him.

“Yes, Dad,” Rain and Winter replied in unison.

The smells of Restaurant Row filled the air. All the aromas of fried, grilled, baked and boiled goods permeated their nostrils. Sev noted the lead guard rubbing the back of his head.

“What happened to your head?’

“An incident with a former guard. He cold clocked me as I was escorting him back to the barracks.”

“I see…” Sev replied.

“I should’ve seen it coming.”

“To be honest, you’re not the only one that should’ve seen what could’ve happened. What’s your name?” Sev asked.

“Sturdy Stone.”

“Sev. I appreciate your honesty, Sturdy,” said Sev.

“For what it’s worth. I’m more open minded than the guard that hurt your friend.”

“I get you. I do, but forgive me if I’m still wary.”

“I understand completely.” Sturdy looked to Fluttershy. “She’s been rather quiet since you arrived. Is she going to be alright?”

“Yes, I think so. I know she’ll be better when she’s with Wing again,” Sev replied.

“I will be, don’t worry,” Fluttershy replied meekly.

“Why did that mean guard hurt my dad?” Winter asked.

“Well…” Sturdy was caught off guard by Winter’s question. “You see, little one, those mean changelings hurt him and his sister, not thinking or knowing better. They thought your dad was one of them.”

“I can see why he did it but, it still doesn’t make it right.” Fluttershy replied.

“Yeah, I hate to admit it, but if I were in his horseshoes and Kim was hurt, I’d probably do the same thing.” Sev added.

The group continued walking, Sev knew he’d probably get a visit from his mother and sister while in Canterlot. He wasn’t sure what he’d say to them, though. They made it to their destination without incident.

“Well, we’re here,” Sturdy said, opening the door and holding it for the group. The first few guards walked in first.

“Thank you,” Winter and Rain said as they trotted in after the guards. Fluttershy followed after the two fillies, followed by Sev and Sturdy.

“Everypony in?” Sturdy asked, looking around. “Good.”

“Take us to Wing,” Fluttershy said. Her tone was commanding, yet not pushy.

“Yes, I was just about to take you there.” Sturdy knew better than to argue with an Element of Harmony. The group walked through the halls, finally coming to a door that had the words ‘INFIRMARY’ printed on them. “Here we are.”

“Thank you, Sturdy.”

“No problem ma’am. I hope things get back to normal soon, too. I’ve got to get back to my rounds, but if any of you need something, call me.”

“I’m sure we’ll consider it,” Sev replied.

Sturdy nodded his head and turned around, walking in the opposite direction. The group walked into the infirmary and saw Wing laying on one of the beds. He had several bruises on his body, one eye swollen shut, and various bandages on his body. He turned his head to see his visitors.

“Well, don’t just stand there. Come on over!” Wing exclaimed. The four wasted no time rushing over to his aid, grateful that he was okay.

“You look horrible, buddy,” Sev commented, trying not to cry.

“Heh, worse than that one time in high school?”

“Okay, maybe not that horrible. But it still didn’t make it a smart idea.”

“Hey, I was trying to cheer you up!”

“By doing an air show and not checking the weather?”

“Fine, you win, but this isn’t the time to bicker. Plus, the doctor said I need to take it easy,” Wing relented.

“Damn straight, you need rest.”

Then Wing noticed his wife standing near him, hugging his body lightly. “Hey dear, how have you been?”

“Oh… um… I’ve been...alright…” Fluttershy stammered. “I’m just glad you’re okay….”

“Yeah, we thought you were a goner,” Winter admitted, having climbed up on the bed with Rain.

“Dash still being hard headed?” Wing asked.

“Yep. Nothing changed there.”

“She’ll come around. She may be an idiot at times like you, but she’ll come to her senses.”

“I am not an idiot!” Sev protested.

“Suuuuuure you aren’t, buddy,” Wing grinned. “And so am I. We’ve done a lot of stupid things together.”

Sev looked as if he was about to protest, but dropped it realizing that Wing was right.

“You two really haven’t changed,” Fluttershy commented.

“Course we haven’t. I’m Sev’s BCBBBFF,” Wing smiled. Fluttershy got a look of confusion.

“Big Changeling Brother Best Bug Friend Forever.” Wing and Sev said in unison.

“Oh!.” Fluttershy blushed in embarrassment. “Just like with Twilight and Shining!”

“Yeah, you didn’t know that?” Winter teased.

“I knew what it was,” Rain added with a smile.

“Oh Wing, I’m just glad to be here with you.” Fluttershy nuzzled wing.

“I missed you too, honey.” Wing nuzzled Fluttershy back. “Now then, who’s hungry?”

-----------------------------------

As Wing was talking to his niece, best friend, and family, the royalty of Canterlot was also about to have something to eat after a long day. “Nephew, you’re lucky I still agreed to do this.” Celestia noted. She, Luna, and Blueblood were walking down one of the many corridors of the castle.

“I know, Aunty,” Blueblood said, terrified of the princesses walking with her.

“I still can't believe you thought we would allow you to bully one of our guests, without punishment,” Luna commented. She was far more annoyed than Celestia was.

“I know, but Duke Firestorm had insisted on this dinner,” Blueblood shivered. He was even more terrified now.

“Yes, I did need to talk to him about a few things” Celestia said.

She had decided to dawn a dress for the semi-formal dinner instead of her usual attire. It was a rather slim fitting yellow dress that worked well with her sunny white coat, while her sister had a just as slimming black dress that hugged her frame. It wasn't long until they reached the dining hall. Upon entering they saw both Duke Firestorm sitting in a rather finely crafted seat.

Out of most of the nobility of Canterlot, Firestorm, or Storm as he would prefer to go by, was one of the rather oddest, besides being the only Duke that wasn’t fully pony. He was indeed a dragon pony, with his mother being a storm dragon and his father, Firewand, already being of noble blood. Unlike most ponies, his forelegs were claws and scales rather than hooves and fur, but there were only a few locations on his body that had scales.

One place was his tail, which was long and thick, much like most dragons tails, even ending in a diamond shaped tip to it. His scales were a bright vibrant orange that worked well with his burnt brown mane, which was styled back expect for a swoop of mane that hung between his eyes. His scaled covered horn curved up gently compared the straighten horn of most unicorns. His eyes were just like any other dragons eyes but was a burning bright blue.

Next to him was his wife, Nightling, with a dusk blue coat that worked well with her long grayish-orange mane and tail. Her pale dark purple wings hugged against her body, and Luna could pick up a sense of nervousness as her bright orange eyes turned to see the party as they entered. They bowed as best they could.

“Your highness's,” Firestorm said with a rather smooth baritone voice.

“Hello again, Duke Firestorm,” Celestia commented as they took up a seat across from them. “How is Shafifner?”

“Mother is doing alright, last she wrote to me. She was in the dragon kingdom checking on her hoard there,” he informed with a warming smile.

“Has everything been alright in the dragon kingdom?” Celestia said with a slight worried tone.

“Nothing too big, just a little infighting about whenever or not they’ll agree to the terms we had set them. It's a rather lengthy process.” He waved his claw around, clearly annoyed as he recounted his tale.

“I'm surprised those brutes can even think about anybody but themselves,” Blueblood huffed with an air of annoyance. This got both princesses to eye him, as well as the cocked eyebrow of Firestorm going his way. Then he realized the error of his ways. “Present company excluded.”

“I would suggest be a little more... tactful in the future,” Luna commented, while the servers brought in the first course. Most of them had a nice salad with a few bits of sunflowers tossed in with it.

“Quite. It might just save your life one day,” Storm noted.

“So, Duke Firestorm, how did that business with the Canterlot Hospital go?” Blueblood asked before taking another bite.

“Well, with the newest additions to the prosthetic limbs I had designed, they won't feel so out of place,” the Duke informed with a smile on his face.

“That sounds interesting. Did any of the accountants give you issues?”

“Only a few that couldn't see past the price tag. I mean, after the healing salve patches, you would think those ponies would see the medical benefits over the price tag,” he shrugged.

“You did make most of your fortune through medical advancements. Ever thought of trying your hoof at something more industrious?” Blueblood asked with a grin on his face.

“I'm sorry, Blueblood, but I still have to say no. Between the required traveling that would require me to do, I couldn't bare being that far from my wife.”

“I have offered your wife to come along. I mean, from what I have heard most of the time, she rather stay indoors,” Blueblood countered.

“I like a quiet life.” Nightling said meekly.

“And I wouldn't dare try to push her out of her comfort zone for something trivial like that,” Storm added, punctuating it with a nod.

“I did wonder why your wife had joined you this evening. Most times, she prefers to stay home,” Celestia commented.

“It's because we have a rather good reason for it,” Nightling said nervously before she felt her husband’s claw on her hoof.

“We've heard some rather troubling rumors about a guest here at the castle.” Storm tried to break it easy to them with a smile.

“What rumor would that be?” Celestia inquired.

“After the horrible mess with Princess Cadence and Shining Armor's wedding, rumors had been floating around about a 'changeling' being held in the special dungeons.”

“Then you found the rare rumor to be true,” Luna admitted.

“And what does he have to share with us?” Storm asked, looking rather curious but not intrusively so.

“We've gotten a few things from him about-” Celestia started.

“I don't know why you would listen to that,” Blueblood cut her off. “I bet he replaced the real Southern Wing.”

“Did you say Southern Wing?” Nightling asked worriedly.

“Yes, you heard correctly, my little ponies,” Celestia sighed. “A changeling claims that he is Southern Wing, and he’s on the good side of the changelings, which goes against what Queen Chrysalis said at the wedding,” Celestia commented.

“Has there been any proof to his claims?” Storm asked.

“His 'wife' said that she knew that he was a changeling from the beginning, and so far we haven't found any mental manipulation spells on her,” Luna commented.

“I see. Do you think it is possible for him to speak the truth?”

“So far, he's been very forthcoming with any information we've asked. Little evidence has come forth willingly to say otherwise,” Celestia answered.

“And not many would tempt to do so, especially if-” Blueblood began, before a bright flash blinded him. Then he saw that Nightling had changed in appearance. “They... were... a noble...” He lost his train of thought completely.

The princesses and the prince sat there in shock when they saw the bat pony turn into a changeling before their eyes. However, there was a few subtle differences in Nightling's body from Southern Wing’s. For once, her body was much like her pony form was. Very womanly and lovely, her hooves didn’t have the holes most did. On top of that, her mane was a bright orange hue, along with her eyes and carapace.

“Southern Wing's claims are rather true, Your Highness's,” Storm stated calmly, even with all the guards surrounding them.

“I would like to remind your guards that they can't arrest either one of us, as we both have diplomatic immunity,” Firestorm pointed out. The guards looked at each other nervously, awaiting further comment.

“I want to hear what they have to say. You will stand down until I state otherwise,” Celestia commanded. “You do know what you’re risking by doing this, Firestorm.”

“I’m aware of that, Celestia, but this is a matter of grave importance. It’s worth the risk.”

“Everything Wing told you is the truth. Chrysalis is the queen of the Loveist changelings, but not all of them,” Nightling stated nervously.

“Loveist?” Luna asked.

“Changelings that take love from others. Wing and I are part of the other group, the Harmonists.”

“They are changelings that share love instead of take it. But each changeling can also feed on other emotions. It's just that love is the more common and most filling of the emotions they can feed on,” Firestorm added in.

“And how did we come to this point, where you’re sitting here before me to explain this, and Wing is where he stands?” Celestia inquired.

“It was through my wife,” Storm continued. “Unlike most ponies, she isn’t affected by magic. Scales are naturally resistant to magic, and I was in a morally grey area here in Canterlot. So the Harmonist Queen came to me directly for help. She never comes out directly to anyone, unless it’s an important reason, which this certainly counts as.

“And she wanted us to bridge the gap between them and the rest of Equestria. That plan of hers had some hiccups on the way, unfortunately,” Firestorm groaned.

“Hiccups?” Luna said, eyeing them suspiciously. “Beyond just the wedding invasion?”

“For the last few years, my house staff have been nothing but changelings-”

“That's why I couldn't find that mare again!” Blueblood pointed out.

“Yes, though Velvet Tome was rather smitten with you.” Firestorm said with a smirk. “As I was saying. With the attack from Chrysalis and her Loveists, it put any possible diplomatic relationships in a very tentative spot. So, against Chiton's request, I thought I should put my own nobility at risk to help finally bridge the valley between the Harmonists and Equestrians.” He felt his wife's hoof gently squeeze his claw to reassure him.

“I see...” Celestia trailed off. “If, and this is a rather big if, I agree to this... agreeable diplomatic relationship as you had put it, what are the benefits and deficits that would come with it?”

“The drawbacks will be small as long as the changelings don’t form large numbers in Canterlot directly,” said Firestorm. “As much as I wish it wasn’t the case, the nobility in our kingdom are...rather harsh against non-unicorns. So it might cause a strain at first.

“The benefits? That would be on your side, mostly. Most of us are well rounded when it comes to skills, given we have to wear different hats, or in this case, take different forms to blend in. One could be an accountant one day and a construction worker the next, without losing a beat. So there won’t be any problems when it comes to work, and some can drain the negative emotions from your subjects to make them feel better. Nightling can take fear, and I have willingly given her much to feed from.” He leaned over and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“I've never seen you afraid in the time I've known you, Firestorm. Now I know why,” noted Blueblood.

“My fears are that of failure or over analyzing. As a result, a lot of the advancements when it comes to draining fear might need to be withheld from ponies that need it. In addition, the most advanced chemists we have can help concoct the Heal-Storm Salve most hospitals used. That way, ponies could gain more ways to help their kind rather than hurt them. And if you need to tell us apart, just look at our legs. Harmonists don’t have holes, while Loveists do.” He held up Nightling’s leg to prove his point.

“You make a great case,” Celestia thought. “But this Queen Chiton...how would somepony get a hold of her if I decided to move forward with this course?”

“We would need to use the natural link all Harmonist changelings have, and we can have her here when she’s available,” Nightling said with an air of hope in her voice.

“Then please send word, but know that I will have to detain the both of you till this 'meeting' happen, both for your safety as well as security. We’ll promise to give you comfortable arrangements.”

“We understand, Your Highness, we just wish to stay together. Is that is alright?” Nightling worried.

“Of course. We have had a few of the cells redone for comfort after a small incident with 'Southern Wing', so you will be comfortable,” said Luna.

“Thank you. Word has been sent out to her already,” Firestorm smiled. The guards went around the couple, and they rose up from their seats. They were escorted out of the room soon after.

“That was rather an interesting meal,” Celestia noted. “I learned quite a lot about this situation.”

“Indeed, sister,” Luna agreed. “If there really are more Harmonist changelings connected to royalty, however, they could be very dangerous.”

“That is very true. If provoked, the damage they could cause would be insurmountable. Storm’s mother would be the least of our problems.”

“Indeed, which is why i think we should try to make peace if possible.”

“Agreed.”

“What do you think of this Chiton, Sister?” Luna asked.

“I don’t know yet. I would need to meet her to be certain. Still, we have a lot of planning to do,” Celestia sighed. As much as she wanted to hide it, she was nervous about that meeting. With the Chrysalis encounter fresh in her mind, she thought it was best to be on guard, just in case.

-------------------------

Storm and Nightling were making their way towards their cell. “Could we stop by where Wing is?” Storm asked the guard escorting them.

“Sure. It should be alright.” The guard took them to where Wing was. He was eating and chatting with his family. The group seemed to be sharing some kind of noodle dish. Wing took notice of Storm and Nightling shortly after they entered.

“Storm! Odonata! How are you two doing?” Wing asked as they trotted over.

“We’ve been fine, Schkitz,” Nightling replied. “We’re more worried about you.”

“You look horrible,” Storm noted.

“Heh, yeah. I’m no beauty queen that’s for sure,” Wing grinned. “This is my best buddy in the world, Sev.”

“Good to meet you, Sev,” Storm said, shaking Sev’s hoof.

“Likewise,” said Sev. “And good to meet you as well,” noting Nightling.

“And you must be Mrs. Wing. How are you?” asked Storm.

“I’m doing well. Much better than I was yesterday,” Fluttershy replied. “I was so worried about him.”

“Hi, Mr. Storm!” Winter chirped.

“Hello there. You must be Winter. And you are?”

“My name’s Rain,” Rain cheered.

“That’s a good name, very harmonious with nature.”

“I’m named after my mother, but I’m told I’m not as hot headed as her.”

“That’s true,” Wing chimed in with a chuckle.

“Very true. Your mother has always been a hot head,” Sev remarked, rolling his eyes.

“Yeah, always been a thing as far as we can remember. Like that time I set the ball bouncing record. She couldn’t believe it wasn’t hers anymore. She has an ego like that.”

“Oh, don’t remind me.”

“Or that time I pretended to be a masked hero to show her how a real hero acts,” Wing added.

“You got me going there for a while, but the moment I saw the magic at the dam, I knew it was you, Wing,” Sev chuckled.

“Ah yes, I remember hearing that you were the hero Mare Do Well,” Storm chuckled.

“Yep,” Wing replied. “I sent an anonymous letter to Rarity for her to make the costume,” Wing gave a small smile. “It’s amazing that I had inspired one of the changelings from the hive living in Manehatten to pick up the mantle.”

“I hear they’re doing a fine job.” Nightling remarked with a smile.

“Yeah, so have I. I’m happy to hear it.”

“We were mainly checking to see how you were doing.”

“I appreciate your concern. Nightling, make sure when you call home tell everyling I’m alright.”

“Don’t worry, I will,” Nightling replied. “And I’ll be sure to tell Mother you are doing well.”

“Until next time. Take care of yourself, Wing.” Storm left the infirmary with his wife.

“They seem nice,” Sev commented.

“They are, Storm’s a good guy. Though, when he’s angry, ooh yeah, I wouldn’t want to be the guy he’s angry at.”

“Yeah, don’t want to get on the bad side of someone that powerful.”

“Nope.” Wing took another bite of his food. The meal went on without interruptions for the next half hour.

“For prison food, that’s not half bad,” Sev comment.

“Yeah, I feel like I could sleep. Speaking of which, you guys should get to where you’re staying.”

“I’m not leaving your side, buddy.”

“We just want to make sure you’re going to be okay,” Fluttershy chimed in.

“I’ll be fine, guys. The doctor won’t let any harm come to me.”

“You mean like that one guard didn’t harm you?” Sev rebutted.

“For one, that was a rogue guard. Two, Celestia has screened the guards on duty here now. And three, Luna literally used the Royal Canterlot Voice and spoke Old Ponish. I don’t think anyone will try something like that again.”

“Good point,” Sev admitted.

“Just keep an eye on Flutters, alright?”

“You got it, buddy.”

“See you soon dear.” Fluttershy nuzzled Wing. “I’ll be fine. Will you?”

“You know it.” Wing returned the nuzzle. Sev and the others started walking to their cells, under the watchful eye of a guard.

---------------------

Nightling and Storm reached their spacious cell. “Wow, Princess Celestia wasn't kidding when she said they spruced up the cells in this block,” Storm noted. It had nice furniture, including a comfortable looking bed and a small spread of food and water.

“Yes, it really seems nicer than your standard one,” Nightling replied. She then closed her eyes and made the call to Queen Chiton. “Mother? It’s Odonata. I found out that Schkitz is doing well, despite his injuries.”

“It’s a relief to hear he’s okay. Where are you?’

“I revealed myself to Celestia. Storm and I are in the same cell block Schkitz is.”

“Go on…” Chiton replied after a moment of silence.

“I thought it best that we skip the sha'zah and get to the point of it, bringing peace between harmonists and ponykind. Celestia wants to meet you.”

“You’re almost as stubborn as Schkitz. I will contact Caprica and tell her we have a meeting to plan.”

“Understood, Mother. Odonata signing off.” Nightling ended the call and turned to Storm. “Well, Mother is coming here with Caprica.”

“Good to hear it went well,” Storm replied, laying on the cellbed. “It’ll be a good start to mend relations.”

“Yes, and maybe some ponies will learn from it.”

“Hopefully.”

---------------------

While this was going on, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were having a discussion on the evening’s events. “Sister, I do think we should meet with the Chiton, but I would urge caution,” Luna said.

“While I would agree with your cautious approach, Wing has done nothing that would constitute a threat,” Celestia thought.

“True, his business dealings and practices have mainly targeted criminals. I still would urge a degree of caution. Chiton might have a different agenda than him.”

“I understand what you are saying, Luna, and it is wise. But we need an open mind.”

“I know, but remember, there is a difference between wisdom and naivety.”

“I’m aware of the difference. That is why I want to give them the benefit of the doubt.”

“And that is quite wise. It would be better to not have every changeling against us.”

“Exactly. If what they say about her is true, we might have the opportunity of a lifetime here.”

Celestia and Luna made their way down to Wing’s cell. Wing was laying on his bed, reading a book. His full attention seemed to be on the story, up until he noticed the two monarchs coming in to see him.

“Your Majesties. Apologies for not bowing, but I’m a bit unable to at the moment.” He put his book down to the side.

“That is not necessary. This is purely a social call,” Celestia responded.

“So I hear Nightling revealed herself to you.”

“Indeed, and we were wondering if you could answer our questions,” said Luna.

“Why is she has different color chitin from me?” Wing wondered. “The answer is simple. She’s a descendant from the orange hive, or rather, from survivors of the orange hive.”

“Orange...hive. I would say that’s preposterous, but so was Chrysalis’s invasion, and that was no myth. May we ask about the Changeling Civil War?” Luna continued.

“Of course.”

“How many changelings died in the conflict?”

“Luna!” Celestia retorted. “That could’ve been asked a bit more delicately!”

“Not really… but to answer your question? From my hive alone, it was ninety two million, two hundred thousand,” Wing replied.

“N...ninety two million?” Celestia couldn’t believe what she heard. Her ears parted to the side, a rare sign of sorrow from the princess.

“Yes,” Wing confirmed. “You heard correctly. The green, orange, and yellow hives were near completely wiped out. We took the few survivors and converted them to Harmonist ways. It wasn’t easy, but we managed to do it.”

“What about the surviving hives that weren’t destroyed?” Luna asked with a twinge of fear, as to what the numbers would be.

“Seventy six million for the violet hive, and eighty seven million, five hundred thousand for Chrysalis’s hive. We can grow reinforcements fairly quickly during wartime.”

“That explains the high numbers. What do you think Chrysalis’s next move will be?” Luna asked.

“Probably scattered attacks, possibly kidnappings. Her force that attacked Canterlot took severe damage from what I’ve overheard.”

“So they have no plans for a second major offense. That’s a bit of a relief,” Celestia breathed. “Everypony knows we need time to heal.”

“Don’t underestimate her. A changeling army is a very formidable foe. Even if it seems they’re about to be defeated, you can find yourself snatching defeat from the jaws of victory,” Wing warned them.

“If your queen is coming, how should we prepare for her arrival?” Luna piped in.

“Well, bow since she’s a monarch, like yourselves. She’ll bow before you, too, and just treat her with respect in general.”

“That’s a wonderful start. What about cuisine?”

“I can go on for hours about her favorite food, but generally think Japoneighese.”

--------------

In the meantime, Chiton was making her own preparations for the meeting. “How are things progressing?” she asked some of her subjects.

“We already have it planned, Mother. We will have our top security team protecting the meeting. Alongside them, we have backup consisting of the replacements for those who fell in the battle of Canterlot. They are masquerading as bodyguards for upper class ponies there,” Chiton’s aide stated.

“Excellent, we can get the drop on any Loveist attempts to crash the meeting.”

“Yes, Mother. We’ll be prepared for that.”

“I will also make sure to visit Schkitz while I’m there.”

“It’s good to hear he is alright, despite his injuries.”

“Yes. I hope it’s not too late for peace with ponykind. Chrysalis can’t snatch it away from us this time.”

“I hope the same, Mother, but I think we will be able to pull it off, Zarkesh willing.”

“Agreed. If we do get forced to fight on two fronts, it worries me what Chrysalis will do when we get to her hive.”

“It worries all of us.”

“I want the jet fueled and ready. Make sure it’s the fastest one. I want to make sure we can get away in a hurry if the Loveists attack us while we’re heading there.”

“Will do. Shall I assign the 1st Air Division to the protection detail?”

“Yes, the 5th TAC squadron of them. And I want a protection detail from the queen’s regiment to act as my personal ground detail.”

“It will be done.”

“I want a full status report on what’s going on here in ten minutes. See to it personally.”

“Yes, mother!” Queen Chiton’s aide rushed off to see that everything was being put into place, leaving her alone with her guards.

I hope Schkitz is alright. I can’t imagine what he’s going through, having been disconnected for so long.

-----------------------------

Dash walked down the street, with Scootaloo following her. “I never should’ve let your sister go to Canterlot with your father.”

“But you wanted her to go,” Scootaloo pointed out.

“It was a bad idea. The two of you should stay with me, rather than him.”

“But dad isn't all that bad, is he?”

“He’s collaborating with a changeling! That’s why I’m leaving you with Twi so I can go get your sister.”

Scoots said nothing in reply. She only responded with a worried stare that Dash didn’t seem to notice.

Twilight was busy sorting the books at her place when she heard a knock on the door. She trotted to the door and opened it. “Hi, Rainbow. Hi, Scootaloo,” she greeted. “You two are out rather late.”

“I’m here to drop off Scootaloo with you. I’m heading to Canterlot to get Rain from Sev.”

“Are you sure that’s a good idea, Rainbow? Sev won’t take it well.”

“It’s better than Rain being with him.”

“Rainbow Dash…” Twilight started.

“No buts! You keep Scootaloo safe til I get back, or Celestia help me, I don’t know what I’m going to do!” She zoomed out to Canterlot, determined to bring Rain back no matter what. But what she didn’t know was that she was being watched.

“Potential target sighted. Confirming target identification,” a gryphon said, looking through a pair of binoculars.

“Target confirmed,” a pony said, looking through a second pair. “Load the dart and track her.”

“Dart loaded and tracking, sir.” The gryphon moved the rifle just ahead of Dash to ensure maximum accuracy.

“Fire.”

The gryphon fired the dart, traveling through the air and striking Dash in the leg. She felt a sudden sense of dizziness once it hit. The last thing she saw was what appeared to be a gryphon, but the gryphon transformed into a changeling. It greeted her with a smile as she went out cold.

Author's Note:

A big thank you to DFatman for helping with this chapter,giving me permission to use his characters Storm and Nightling, writing the dinner scene and giving me ideas on where to take it.