• Published 20th Jun 2012
  • 1,470 Views, 26 Comments

Prince of Equestria - Chlumpy



For thousands of years he waited, in exile. He craves revenge, for what Celestia did. She will die..

  • ...
47
 26
 1,470

Reunion

Prince of Equestria

Chapter 8

Reunion

Celestia walked down the spiral steps to the dungeon. She stopped at the door, the guards saluting. "May I enter?" She asked. The two nodded, unbaring the door. One opened it, the other standing aside.

As the Princess began to enter, a guard asked her a question. "With all due respect, Your Majesty...are you sure we're doing the right thing?"

The white mare sighed. "This wouldn't be happening if even a sliver of my brother remained. However, that is not the case." The guard nodded, and Celestia went inside the dungeon.

The first thing she smelled was blood, and her heart drummed deeply in her chest. She quickened her pace, hoping the blood didn't belong to the jailer or the guard. When she arrived at Shadowblaze's cell, she sighed in relief.

Her men weren't hurt, but Shadowblaze was. Although he didn't show it, the mare could tell he was in great pain. The jailer whipped him again, drawing morw blood from the stallion.

"How's it feel to be in the same chains of a common criminal eh?" Asked the jailer. "Pretty humbling I imagine." He then struck the stallion across the face. Shadowblaze spat out blood.

"Excuse me," Celestia said. "I hope I'm not interupting." The jailer looked her way, grinning.

"Why Princess Celestia! What a surprise. Goldie, take the whip!" He passed the weapon to the guard, exiting the cell. The jailer bowed, kissing the Princess' hoof. "What are you doing here ma'am?"

"I want to have a few words with him Sam, if that's alright."

Sam, one of the very rare Diamond Dogs with citizenship in Equestria, nodded. "Of course! You are the Princess after all. C'mon Goldie, lets give them some privacy." The two left, Celestia entering the cell.

She noted the iron chains, shackled around the stallion's four legs. He was suspended in the air, spread apart by the chains pulling his legs back. His mane was dirty, matted, and hung over his eyes. He wore nothing, but considering his form, he didn't have too. His head pointed at the ground.

"Have you come to hear me beg?" Shadowblaze asked. "To hear me plead with you? Your ears will hear no such things."

"No," she replied, frowning. "I came for answers." She began to circle him. "Do you feel any regret for your actions? Guilt, for killing children?"

"Regret? Yes. For not making sure you were dead."

"Then it is as I had feared...there is no Prince left." She stared long and hard at his cutie mark. "Do remember what your mark symbolised? Courage, leadership...warmth. Now, because of your selfish actions, it's merely the omen for fear, tyranny, and burning hate."

"That is what makes me strong. A King should be feared, not loved."

"And look where that philosophy brought you! You are going to die tomorrow! All because you so foolishly gave in to your anger! You were going to be a King brother! A King, who was loved by his people! A King, who warmed the country during that blizzard! A King, who his sisters looked up to, and who comforted them when they were sad!"

"You were my brother Shadowblaze! Had your guilt over Galaxina's death made you forget these things?"

"Don't you dare bring her into this, you pathetic worm! I killed the Ursa that did this! I bucking killed it!"

Celestia froze. "What?"

"I killed it...I burned it until not even ashes remained. That is why I was supposed to rule! That is why you are weak! I am a God, and you will all before me!"

"There's only one God. Pray that he has mercy on your soul." The mare exited the cell, then turned around, a tear sliding down her cheek. "I did mourn. I mourned for over a thousand years."

'-'

Celestia stood in her tower balcony, watching as the sun set. Can I really kill him? She thought. Can I kill somepony in cold blood? She shook her head. No, this is justice. There's no going back, after all he has done.

She heard something clack on the marble floor behind her. Celestia turned around, and she saw Discord smiling sheepishly. "I-I was just leaving," he stammered, turning.

"No, please...it would be nice to have a friend with me."

The Draconequues nodded, leaning on the guard rail. They stood in silence for a moment. "Tomorrow's the day then," Discord said. "The day everything ends."

"Yes...hard to believe."

"But is it right? I know he's done terrible things, but I have too. Yet, nopony is calling for my blood."

"Because they know it wasn't your fault. Discord, if Shadowblaze doesn't die, there's always a chance that his creations will rise up."

"They're still ponies, same as you. Luna made her Night Ponies."

"But not during a rampage. If Cerebus leaves again, I fear they'll escape."

"He left? That's interesting."

Celestia chuckled. "Remember that time when he was a puppy? He kept running away from Philomina, because she liked to put bows in his fur?"

He laughed back. "Or that time when he got into Star Swirl's study? The old coot was shaking his bells like crazy!" The two then laughed heartilly.

When they finished, they looked into each other's eyes. "What?" Celestia asked.

"I came here to do what I've hoped to do for centuries."

'-'

Ironmallet watched the two from Luna's tower, a telescope on his eye. "Make your move lad," he whispered. "I dare ye! I'll make ye relive all of my lessons if ye don't!"

He watched with satisfaction as the man got on one knee, opening the ring Ironmallet had made. He smirked as Celestia put a hoof over her mouth. "Say yes Tia, say yes!"

The stallion pumped his fist as the two began to kiss passonitally. Lord have mercy on me, he prayed. 'Cause I bloody can't resist! He put away the telescope and cupped his hands. He loudly sang, "Discord 'an Tia, sitting in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G! First comes love, then comes marrige! Then comes a baby in a baby carrige!"

"At least I'm getting some lip old stallion!" Discord shouted back.

"Just for that, I'm wearing that tutu on ye special day! Burn laddie, burn! Hahah!"

"Whatever!" The two began kissing again.

Ironmallet clicked his hooves together, jumping off the balcony. He pulled out his hammer, slowing his decent. When he landed, he ran madly to the kitchen, grabbing Swiss by the shoulders. "Oi lad! Get ready to feed a country! This is going to be the biggest catering ye will ever get!" He let go, dancing around happily.

"But I can't do that with the limited chefs at my disposal."

"Then get the Apples on the phone! They'll help!"

"What's the occasion anyways?" A waiter asked.

"Lads, think Royal Wedding. Believe me, this will be bigger than the one last year."

"Really?" A chef asked. "Is it Blueblood?"

"Bigger."

"You?"

"Still bigger."

The staff then widened their eyes. "A-are you serious?!?" Swiss stammered.

"Aye!" The stallion practically glowed. "My little Tia-er Princess Celestia is getting married!"

The staff cheered, and a waiter uncorked a bottle of champange. They each filled a glass, and raised them high. "A toast! To Equestria!"

"To Equestria!" They drank, and Ironmallet ran around.

"Spread the word boy'os! Let the whole castle know! Get it planned! Get the invitations ready! Tally-ho!" He started to run out, but Swiss stopped him.

"Sir, a wedding this big will need careful planning. How long did you say it was until she's wed?"

"About a year. I told Discord to wait that long."

Swiss spit his champange in a bubbly mist on the blacksmith's face. Ironmallet sighed, dragging a hand over his muzzle, shaking the alcohol off. "D-did you say Discord?" The chef choked out.

"Aye. Lad, this day was in 'th making for a long time. A few years after Shadowblaze's imprisonment, he approached me brother and I, asking for our consent. We agreed, since the two were friends since childhood. But, now we know Shadowblaze had other plans."

"Ye see, Celestia had been dating another stallion, who had given Discord a hard time for years. The lad finally cracked, electrocuting him. Celestia had called him a monster, and she rushed her boyfriend to the hospital."

"Discord began to believe this. He knew he was mis-matched, and his powers were chaotic. The worst part was his mother. She was just like him, but pure evil. The Everfree Forest was her land, until I killed her. Anyways, he felt like monster. Hideous, and evil."

"Recently, he filled me in on what happened. A voice, Shadowblaze, began telling him lies. The one that won Shadowblaze's control, was 'If she thinks you a monster, then become one. Hurt her, like she hurt you."

Swiss looked confused. "So...Shadowblaze-"

"Was behind it all. Including me neice's tortured soul. Her subjects whisper her name in fear and hatred. I wish they'd stop assuming things that aren't true. I trust Discord, and so should you. He will make a fine Prince."

'-'

Twilight put Legends of Equestria awaym sighing. "What's the matter Twilight?" Spike asked.

"I just can't believe another ponytale turned out true. First The Mare In The Moon, now The Dark Fire...it's gotten me to think."

"Yeah?" The dragon stepped down from the library ladder. "About what?"

"What if all of these ponytales, legends, and myths are really pieces of history?"

"I'd ask one of the Princesses, or Star Swirl. I still can't believe you met him!"

Twilight grinned, Owloucious flying in with a letter. "Thank you, my good sir."

"Who?" The owl cried.

"You, of course!" She and Spike laughed as he flew away to his post. "Let's see what this says." The Unicorn magically opened the letter, silently reading it.

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

I have replaced the guards with my own. They will grant you access to the cell. However, you must be finished before sunrise, as that is when the execution will begin. I hope this works...

With all due respect,

Princess Luna

"She hopes what'll work?" Spike asked. Twilight squealed, throwing the letter in the fire.

"N-nothing! Spike, how many times do I have to tell you to give people privacy?"

"Sorry Twi." There was a knock on the door. "Who could that be?" The dragon opened the door and he smiled. "Hey guys! Come right on in!"

"Woah Spike!" Shining Armor exclaimed. "Did you grow or something?"

Spike chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck. "Well, no...but my spines got pointier!" Indeed, the formerly round spines were now thorn-like.

"Spike get back!" Twilight shouted. She grabbed her element and pointed its tip at the stallion. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!"

"Hey Twilie," Shining sweated. "I'm not a Changeling."

"Prove it!"

"Ok, uh...remember that time when I accidentally went into the filly's restroom in Magic Kindergarden?"

"Oh hey big brother!" She put the spear away. "What brings you here?"

"The execution," Cadence said grimly, walking in with her husband. "As a Princess, and Shining being the Captain of The Royal Guard, we have to be there."

"I wish it was under different circumstances," Shining Armor continued. "Do you mind if we spend the rest of the night here?"

"Of couse not!" Twilight replied. "You're my family. You can take my bed for tonight."

"Thanks Twilie." The young couple then climbed the stairs. Spike carried their bags up to them. When they were out of sight, Twilight ran to her desk, scribbling down a letter.

Princess Luna,

Things just became complicated. My brother is here, so I can't just leave to run "errands." It's up to you to get this done. Good luck!

Twilight Sparkle

She handed it to Owloucious, and he flew off. "So Twilight," Shining Armor said. The mare shrieked, turning around.

"Shining!" Twilight gasped. "Don't do that!"

"Sorry sis, didn't mean to scare you." He raised an eyebrow. "Is something wrong?"

"Eh, no! Nothing's wrong!" Twilight smiled nervously, darting her eyes.

"Uh....okay then. C'mon, we have some catching up to do." The two walked over to the living room. Shining sat down next to Cadence on the couch. Twilight relaxed in a chair.

"So," Cadence said. "I hear you've become quite the leader Twilight."

"Yeah, I guess. I'm no Ironmallet though, he's the real General."

"Ironmallet?" Shining asked. "That old blacksmith that made my sword? When did he get that rank?"

"It's a long story."

"Well tell us," Cadence replied. "We've got time."

Twilight told her story, from the soldiers entering Ponyville, all the way to Shadowblaze's defeat. "...So, how was the honeymoon?"

"It could've gone better," her brother laughed.

"Honey!" Cadence gasped, hitting his shoulder.

"I'm kidding, dear. The honeymoon was great...until we heard that a war was going on. We wanted to leave, and get some renforcements. But, I knew you'd win the battle. You know, it's funny..."

"What is?" Twilight asked.

"Technically, you out rank me." He saluted, and she laughed.

"And," added Cadence. "You're royalty." The Princess sighed, dropping her head.

"Honey?" Shining asked. "Whats wrong?"

"I'm related to a monster..." she began to cry.

"But he doesn't define who you are."

"That doesn't matter! Ponies will look at our bloodline with distrust! Even Celestia might hear whispers...if I had been here to cast my love spell on him, this war would have never happened."

"I thought that spell only worked on arguing couples," Twilight said.

"It also lets a pony remember love it had for something. But, it's too late now. Even if he's my distant cousin, no bloodties can wipe his record clean. He has to die."

"No," Twilight replied. She knew she was breaking a Pinkie Pie Promise as soon as she spoke. "He doesn't." She told her family what she intended to do.

"Twilight..." Shining Armor whispered. "I have to arrest you..." He stood, advancing. Cadence stopped him, flaring her wings.

"Stop Shining. She's your sister!"

"And she's commiting treason! By order of the law, you are under arrest Twilight Sparkle!" He pushed his wife away, grabbing Twilight magically.

"That's right!" Twilight yelled. "I am your sister! Tell me what you would do if I was going to be executed tomorrow?!?" Shining let her go, and collasped on the couch.

"I-I'd do everything in my power to save you..." He began to tremble.

"Twilight's right dear," Cadence cooed, hugging him. "This is the right thing to do."

"B-but I have a duty to Celestia...I can't just...let Twilight get away with this..."

"We all have a duty," Twilight said. "Not just to the Princess, but to Equestria. And we are serving our duty by saving him. I've been warned that terrible things may happen in the future. The Prince's fire is a force to rekon with."

"I...can't help you sis...but I won't stop you either. But, if you get caught, I'll have no choice but to throw you in jail."

"I know. It's getting late, and we have an execution to get to in the morning." The spouces nodded, heading upstairs.

"You're really going to do that?" Spike asked, entering the living room. "After everything he did?"

"Trust me...It's going to be hard, keeping this all secret, explaining where he 'came' from. The worst part is...calling him my friend."

'-'

Luna entered the dungeon. Her guards were in place, just as she ordered. There was nothing stopping her from completing her mission. Except...

The guards unlocked the cell. Shadowblaze seemed to be sleeping. Luna examined her former brother for a moment. She remembered when his mane burned softly, and his amber eyes seemed to smile. He never knew sadness, pain...until-

"That Day..." she whispered. She clenched her fist, slamming it on the stone wall.

"So, you do remember it..." Shadowblaze opened his eyes, looking at the mare. "You felt the same pain I did...the helplessness...the fury."

"Yes. But I did not seek out revenge brother. I moved on, putting a rose on her grave every night. I still do. Now, I have a thousand years and several days worth of catching up to do. All thanks to you."

"I showed you the truth, Nightmare Moon! The truth, of what pain is, what ruling is, what hate is! I know you felt it...you rotted on your moon for a thousand years, cursing the name of our sister!"

"And look where that brought me. I am cursed with the memories of what you forced me to do! I saw no truth, only bitter slavery! I was your servant! Your plaything! I was forced to kill children. Children! All so your lust for power would be satisfied."

"Then tell me, sister...why did you come here? Whhy did you not abandon me, as revenge? You have the right."

"Because, I am better than you. And...you're my brother, no matter what you have done." The Princess cast a spell, and Shadowblaze went limp from unconciousness.

She quickly unchained him, groaning under his weight as she caught him. Luna set him down, casting another spell. The air around them shimmered, and an exact copy of the stallion appeared. Luna put this one in the chains. Finally, she teleported out, Shadowblaze in tow.

'-'

Zecora took a sip from her brew. The warm broth ran down her throat, giving her goosebumps. "That was quite fun!" She exclaimed. The Zebra walked to her window, the light of day tinting the sky. "Oh look, here comes the sun!"

She sighed, remembering what that meant. "If there was any other way, I'd take it, sure as hay. But that is wishful thinking, you foolish mare...he will be delt with in great care."

Suddenly, Luna appeared before her, the stallion in her arms. Zecora yelped, shouting in her native language. "Zecora, my wise teacher," Luna said. "Please, I need your help."

"What have you done, my friend? Surely you know his life must end?!?"

"No it cannot! If we kill him, we'd be no better than him!" She set her brother down on Zecora's bed. "Please...help me save him."

Zecora closed her eyes. Your wish has come true, she thought. So long as he does not kill you. Sighing she said, "Very well, we will plant your seed. Tell me what you need."

Luna explained the plan, and her mentor nodded. "This potion, I know it well. But please explain the memory spell."

Without it, there is no hope. Star Swirl formed from Zecora's tribal outfit, the orbs glowing from the mask. The spell works like soap. It will wash away his bitter memories, replacing them with the plesantries.

"Star Swirl, you have returned to me! You gave also practiced your ryming I see."

Yes. We've both had thousands of years to practice after all. Come, let us get this potion started, then we will begin the memory spell.

"What about the girls?" Luna asked. "They need to be here with the Elements of Harmony. This won't work without them."

They will come. For now, they have an execution to attend, as do you.