• Published 22nd May 2016
  • 2,227 Views, 128 Comments

Vampires - Elu



The Royal Sisters had many enemies in their lifetime. One of them was Nicholas the Vampire King. After many years of absence, he returned along with his subjects. With a cunning opponent at their doorstep, what will ponies do?

  • ...
15
 128
 2,227

Chapter 15: Conflicts

Nicholas was sitting on a chair in his private chambers, being dressed and prepared for dining with the guests by one of the maids; his hair was combed back and brushed to perfection, and the same treatment was done to the end of his tail. His fur was softened and groomed, now exhibiting a silk-like shine. And while his outer look showed perfection, it didn't reflect his inner state.

"You majesty, why art thou so tense?" the maid asked with worry, noticing his rigid posture and a hard look. He shifted slightly and looked at her, making a small pause before speaking.

"This night hath not been going too well, I'm afraid," he replied with a small sigh as he slumped in the chair, "Ponies that came to us are... tolerable, but one of them hath been grinding on my nerves more than I would otherwise allow. Her friends seem reasonable enough, however, and this is the only reason they are still present in Vallaer."

"Maybe thou shouldst show her to the exit but allow the rest to stay... if they don't cause trouble."

"No, I don't believe that is the right way to deal with this situation," Nicholas shook his head, "There is a bond between them, a strong one. They shan't accept such a resolution. Besides, I feel there is something special about that young mare, although... Why would such an insolent little brat be of any importance?"

For a few moment, the Vampire King was silent as his mane was combed and some eyeliner was applied around his eyes, making them stand out even more.

"Excuse my language, miss," he apologized with a small sigh, "In any case, I might not understand it, but the universe isn't obliged to make sense to me. Most importantly, the signs do not lie, and I would be a fool not to listen."

He closed his eyes as some shadows were applied underneath his eyebrows. A while passed before he spoke again.

"These ponies found a way to us, and this is certainly no coincidence," he said as the final preparations were done. He stood up from the chair and allowed himself to be dressed in a plain white shirt, dark red cravat around his neck; a pair of fetlock braces of the same color were tied to his front legs; and an elaborately decorated vest of a lighter shade of red was buttoned around his body. Lastly, a black silk cape with high collar was draped over his back, completing his ceremonial look. "I shall investigate it and find the truth."

"I wish thee luck, my king," the maid nodded, "May it end well."

King Nicholas, the First Vampire, and the Herald of the Red Moon stepped out of his chambers, a pair of decorated guards flanking him, dressed in polished dark-red armor, black capes draped over them, and their deep orange eyes shining brightly. Silently, they follow him as he walked through the halls, his mind deep in thought.

He remembered something odd when he left the ponies. His patience with them was waning, clouding his thoughts, but he felt something. A trace of magic, perhaps? Could it perhaps be Luna awaking from her shock? It wouldn't be surprising to miss such a detail, for his mind was focused on maintaning control of himself; he couldn't afford to descend into anger.

But if she did return from her shock, then why had she said nothing? Perhaps he was wrong, but he definitely felt something, something important. And yet, it eluded him.

It was a good reminder of the lack of balance he experienced. Years ago, his brother would be the first to meet the guests from any nation. With his pleasant attitude and charming personality, he was the shining example of the best in the nation of vampires. On the other side, Nicholas was well-known for his bluntness and oftentimes hot temper. He didn't shy away from it, for he thought it necessary to act this way; if he allowed lies to take hold, no matter how small, his nation would surely fall. Hiding the truth, no matter how small, was inconceivable to him – to be blunt is to be honest and direct, and it was the only way of life he completely accepted.

Caedwyn, just like Nicholas, could not lie, and yet he could make others acceptive towards vampires. He had something the Vampire King lacked, something that Nicholas couldn't replace. He refused to have compromises and be accepting to even hearing certain opposing views; sometimes, to live meant to fight, and those times were many throughout the history of vampires.

Nicholas let out a silent sigh. He allowed the possibility of being wrong, but the question was – could he accept it? He rarely doubted his decisions regardless of the outcome, for he deemed them necessary and the only path towards whichever goal he had in mind at the time. His way of ruling and dealing with foreign allies and threats were right... weren't they? And now, with ponies once again present in his domain, he had a choice of how to treat them, how to interact with them. Luna had seen something deeply shocking, and he had an idea of what it could be; if it was what he thought, then his next steps must be very careful.


A long gothic hall revealed itself before the ponies as they were allowed to enter the dining area. Decorated with elaborate carvings and paintings portraying the night and its inhabitants, as well as all the methods employed by the vampires to grow their food. Cylindrical columns supported a vaulted ceiling, on which the night's sky was painted in all its colors: blues, greens, yellows, reds dominated the scenery; clusters of stars, clouds of cosmic dust, and countless spirals of galaxies could be seen evertwgere. The ponies stopped, gazing at the beauty that was the vampire art, their maws agape in awe.

"Oh my... it's amazing..." Twilight Sparkle whispered in a hushed voice, the majesty of the depiction making her feel small and simple in comparison, "How could they get it so... accurately?"

"The study of the sky is a very important subject in our academia," Sandru, still present with the group, said, "What you see are countless worlds just like our own, and countless stars just like the sun. We are but a speck of sand in the vastness of the universe, and we find it... marvellous. Now, please, take your seats – King Nicholas will arrive shortly."

The ponies found it difficult to turn their eyes away from the wonderful art, but they got to their seats and sat down at a long table, leaving the obvious royalty seats for the appropriate persons. At one end of the table, a decorated wooden armchair with pillows for comfort was situated, and Princess Luna took it. Opposing it, in front of a huge window, a similar armchair stood, bigger and taller, and raised above the floor slightly. The window behind it was a work of art in itself, depicting a stylized image of the night's sky and a dark forest with snowy mountains in the background; right above them, in the middle of the window, Lună Roșie was painted.

Twilight Sparkle marvelled at the display until her attention was caught by a slight magical nudge from Princess Luna. The unicorn shivered and turned to the alicorn, who kept up the facade of still being out of reality.

"I hope you're not fooled by this display of art," Luna spoke inside Twilight's mind, her voice stiff, holding something back, "I don't know what King Nicholas is planning, but I sense it would be apparent soon."

"I don't know... everything seems rather inviting?" the unicorn nervously shrugged, "I mean, if he wanted to do something to us, why wait?"

"I'm unsure, but we must be ready. I hope you remember what to say."

"I do, y-yeah," Twilight made a small nod. "But... what happenes then?"

"We will see..." the alicorn replied darkly, and the connection disappeared. Twilight Sparkle nervously nudged in her place, uncertainty evident in her posture. She trusted Princess Luna as only she saw that vision and knew what it contained, and it was obviously powerful enough to drive her to this action... which remained unknown to the lavender unicorn. Indeed, what was Luna going to do?

Twilight didn't have more time to think of it when the doors of the hall opened once again and King Nicholas walked in, regal in his step, although some rigidity was visible in his body. Two guards followed him, and closed the doors behind themselves. Each of them took a place by the doors and stood still as their king made his way to the main seat of the table.

"I'm sorry, I can't help but marvel at your outfit, your majesty!" Rarity said, her eyes sparkling in the dim light of the hall, "I-is that Zebrican silk in your cape? A-and Saudi Arabian satin shirt, and..." she closed her maw, a flustered look on her face, "I apologize, I lost a hold of myself..."

"'Tis quite alright, miss Rarity," Nicholas allowed a small smile appear on his face as he took his seat, "Thy enthusiasm is welcoming. And yes, thou art indeed correct in thy guesses. Thou art a mare of fine clothes, art thou not?"

"Well, I do own a boutique..." she smiled, placing her hoof on her chest, "But I wouldn't dare to think someone such as you would want to take a look at such a humble shop..."

"My dear, thy knowledge speaketh volumes, and I have no doubt thy shop reflecteth it perfectly," he made a small nod, "Perhaps I shall come by if..." he glanced at Luna. He slightly narrowed his eyes, but then continued in the same voice, "If I am able to make a visit. In any case, I believe it is time to dine."

He tapped his hooves a couple times, and from a previously unseen door a few maids showed up, each carrying multiple plates of food. Firstly, salads were presented along with some sandwiches as a snack; cups were set before each pony, and a few bottles of juice were placed within reach. The two unicorns and the alicorn were given a fork and a knife each while the rest received no silverware.

"Is it... silver?" Twilight Sparkle asked, inspecting her fork, "I... heard..." she slowed down, unsure if she could continue.

"Ah, the myth of silver's anti-vampire properties," Nicholas nodded, "I see it persisteth... No, silver to us is just like any other metal. Besides, if it were harmful, we wouldn't have kept any around. May I ask where thou gatheredst such a myth from?"

"I read a book a few years ago... Titled Dracula."

Nicholas' ears perked up, a hint of surprise appeared on his face. He slightly narrowed his eyes and looked straight into the purple eyes of Twilight Sparkle. She shivered under his gaze; unbeknowst to either, Luna noticed the change as well.

"Dracula, thou sayest?" the Vampire King asked, his voice forced to be neutral. His facial muscles relaxed, but steadiness in his gaze was unceasing, "Very well, what doth that book say about vampires?"

"Well, there was only one, and he was called Dracula," she began, "The book... it actually describes him very close to you, your majesty. Tall, pale, black mane, red cat-like eyes... And living in a castle."

"Interesting..." Nicholas commented, his gaze becoming distant for a moment, "I'd like to hear more, certainly, but please, go ahead and take a bite of the food. 'Tis better the fresher it is."

For a while, everyone was silent as they tasted the first meal. Nicholas allowed himself to relax ever so slightly and indulged in food as well, using a fork to pierce a couple cucumber pieces along with a lettuce leaf. He then took a bottle placed in front of him and poured a red, copper-smelling liquid into his cup. Ponies could sniff it almost the instant it left the bottle, and they realized what it was; nevertheless, they decided to be silent about it. For now.

"Tastes very well, your majesty," Rarity was the first one to comment, trying to ignore the not unpleasant but chill-inducing smell of blood spreading from Nicholas' side, "The salad has a unique taste... and while it looks not as saturated as what we ponies usually eat, it doesn't reflect negatively on its taste."

"I shall certainly tell the cooks and the farmers about it," Nicholas nodded, taking a small sip. A wave of warmth and pleasure spread from his mouth to the rest of his body. The taste lingered on his tongue and he had to resist the urge to lick his lips, "They shall be glad to know their efforts to grow food in this place pays off well."

"May I ask... is that just juice?" Twilight spoke, a bottle filled with dark purple liquid in her magical grasp.

"Yes, why art thou asking?"

"You said that you were gone for a long time, and old cultures almost always had alcoholic drinks during such occasions," she elaborated, "But... you don't seem to have them."

"We're not tolerant of alcohol," the Vampire King shook his head, "Too many a trouble ariseth from that... substance. It dulleth the mind, the instincts. It cloudeth thinking. And, as thou perhaps knowest, it is addictive also, and we vampires already depend on more things than you ponies. It is unwise to add something unnecessary to it."

"So... is blood like, uh, a drug to vampires?" Twilight added, looking at the cup in the grasp of the vampire.

"Not a drug, but like... proper nutrition," Nicholas slightly inclined his head in thought, "Proper nutrition is not exactly necessary for survival, but it certainly prolongeth one's lifetime and giveth them strength. Without blood, we cannot live to our fullest, and we cannot replace it with anything else. Blood, quite literally, is the liquid of life to us."

"And how do you get it in... needed amounts?" Rarity asked a question of her own, "I, too, read Dracula novel, and the methods described there are, frankly, horrifying."

"I would be lying if I said there were no conflicts over sources of blood," the Vampire King admitted, "But we found a compromise... Just like with food and water, a trade is possible. We offer what we can produce in exchange for what we need. Unfortunately, even fair trade is often not accepted, for giving away blood to us was seen as... taboo, perhaps."

"So, you stole blood," Rainbow Dash spoke up, her bravado returning after her last verbal confrontation with the Vampire King.

"Miss Dash," Nicholas looked straight into her eyes, "When survival is concerned, rules of law are to be disregarded. Yes, we sometimes stole it, for it was the only way for us to survive at the time. Wouldst thou be opposed to such a deed if a starving pony stole a piece of bread from thee?"

"But that's blood, it's not like you can take it without hurting someone!" she raised her voice. Fluttershy was sitting next to her and covered her maw, wishing her friend wouldn't be so rude and inconsiderate. Although, all ponies had to admit there was a point to what the rainbow-maned pegasus was saying.

"It dependeth," Nicholas slightly inclined his head, keeping his voice calm, "I heard blood donations are a thing now, and blood is used to save lives. Wouldst not thou agree smaller harm prevented more harm? Our bites are painless most of the time, and we have developed ways to take blood without much harm. In fact, I'd say our technology of gathering blood is better than what you ponies have when it comes to sensations of pain."

"I don't believe that," Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyes.

"Facts do not require belief to be true," the Vampire King replied, raising his voice ever so slightly, "Whatever harm we have done to ponies and other beings when taking their blood is far outweighed by the lives we have saved and nurtured."

Nicholas took a long sip of the blood, keeping his goblet low enough for his eyes to still be able to look straight into Rainbow Dash's. Seconds passed as he emptied the goblet, and soon he placed it back on the table. Challenge was evident in his look as he continued to stare right into the soul of the pegasus.

"In any case, the early days when we stole blood have long since come to an end," he continued, his voice returning to calmness. His body relaxed and he allowed himself to soften his posture, "Trade agreements were established with various communities: they provide blood for us, and we give them what they need in return. A fair and consensual trade which can always be renegotiated if one side desireth it to be. In the end, we have things others need or simply want, and the same applieth to us."

"But the ultimate form of disagreement..." Twilight spoke up, feeling it was her time. She paused for a moment to collect her thoughts, "War... has it ever happened between vampires and... us?"

"Over blood? No, it hath not," Nicholas shook his head, "We had and perhaps still have disagreements about this, but there are many other beings willing to trade their blood for what we offer. May I ask why art thou asking such a question?"

"Well, I-"

"You didn't really answer hers, your majesty," Rainbow Dash cut in, "You said there was no war over blood, but what about other wars? Were there any?"

"Yes," the Vampire King admitted, earning a gasp from each pony, "I'm afraid the war between us resulted in disappearance of my kind for centuries... only to return now," his posture stiffened, "While it is not a topic of conversation during dining, I believe it is inevitable now, for the conversation... was steered this way, on purpose or without one," his crimson eyes looked at every pony, pausing at Luna the longest.

"We were... at war?" Fluttershy said quietly, her appetite gone, "B-but how? Why?"

"My gosh..." Applejack uttered in disbelief.

"Why couldn't we just get along?" Pinkie Pie was next to speak, "You might be different, but that's not a reason to... to..." her mane flattened, "To go to war..."

"Thy words are wiser than the words of the powerful all these years ago," Nicholas said to her, "Remember it with pride, for such simple words reflect thy inner desire to live a life without loss... something we couldn't achieve."

"H-how did this war begin?" Rarity finally found the strength to speak her mind. Twilight Sparkle was quiet, watching as the situation unfolded, fearing of what would come next. Rainbow Dash simply glared at the Vampire King, her mind already set on an answer.

"What you are all going to hear will not sound pleasant," the vampire began, "But the war began when Equestria attacked us in a-"

"My father would never do that!" the booming voice of Princess Luna shattered the quiet air. She raised from her armchair, her eyes looking directly into Nicholas', her wings unfurled threateningly, "We would never attack first!"

"Art thou..." Nicholas rose, anger flashing in his eyes as the memories of the past flooded in. His voice send chills down the ponies' spines, encasing them in biting frost, "Calling me... a liar?"

"You..." tears rolled down Luna's face, "You, you killed my father!"

A blast of energy emerged from her horn with an eardrum-shattering sound, beaming straight into Nicholas. The gem in his necklace glowed intensely, a shield of magic forming in front of him, and yet it was not powerful enough to stop the spell of the enraged alicorn. With a loud screech, the armchair of the Vampire King slid on the floor and then fell as Nicholas was blasted in the air; the glass of the window broke as his body was forcibly slammed against the glass, sending him falling from the height of the castle.

With a loud yell filled with anger and sorrow, Luna took off into the air and dashed past the table into the window, her mind set on one thing only – avenging her father no matter the cost.