• Published 22nd May 2016
  • 2,219 Views, 128 Comments

Vampires - Elu



The Royal Sisters had many enemies in their lifetime. One of them was Nicholas the Vampire King. After many years of absence, he returned along with his subjects. With a cunning opponent at their doorstep, what will ponies do?

  • ...
15
 128
 2,219

Chapter 10: Damu Msemaji

The heat rose above the sandstone pavement; the air above it was trembling ever so slightly, distorting the view. Not a cloud was visible on the azure sky; the sun was in its zenith, its searing rays reaching towards the ground below. Underneath the protective layers of clothing, the Vampire King was sweating beads, and not just from the heat. The sun was a threat even to him, and he felt like the fabric surrounding him would burst in flames, leaving him naked and defenseless against the scorching sunlight. He kept squinting his eyes and blinked often, finding it difficult to see the bright surroundings. He quickened his pace, wishing nothing more than to hide underneath a sturdy roof. He knew this meeting was important, but he already imagined himself going back home, returning to the cool cavern among the snowy mountains of the Borderlands of the Frozen North; it was the only place the sunlight would never reach.

He, along with Daring Do and their guide, soon entered Tumaini Nzuri. A wave of much more pleasant air washed over the three, and Nicholas let out a silent sigh of relief. The castle was built in such a way that allowed the air to cool down as it traveled through the building, entering many purposefully built vents among the halls. To Nicholas' further satisfaction, curtains prevented the sun from entering the building through the windows. Candles were lit in the dark halls, their light flickering as the air brushed against the flames.

The walls and columns were beautifully carved with the images of zebras and their various deeds. From simple farming, the carvings flowed into the worship of deities and various rituals dedicated to nature itself. Each flower, each leaf was expertly carved into the halls, showing as many details as was possible to depict on stone. Some of those carvings were additionally painted, adding the natural feel of life to the castle, making it ever so much more colorful. The banners of Zebrica hung from the ceiling; green in base color, each banner had a white five-petal flower depicted in its center.

The guards wore well-polished armor plated with gold and decorated with inscriptions and harmonious patterns made with white paint. Their armor consisted of a rounded steel breastplate, a few plates to protect the legs, and a skullcap helmet with muzzle guard; chainmail was present between the bigger armor pieces and was padded underneath by a white gambeson. The faces of the guards were hidden behind white keffiyehs, and the unprotected parts of their bodies were further covered by long green silk clothes with white edges.

The Vampire King and the adventurer were led by their guide to a pair of grand doors. Each door had a metallic frame shaped like branches and trunk of a tree, and between those branches, blurry, imperfect glass was placed, allowing but the vaguest of shapes to be seen through the doors.

Daring Do nervously shifted in place, her anxiety apparent as her ears were slightly down and her stance was filled with uncertainty. She hadn't heard much about Queen Damu Msemaji, for she was focused on the past of Zebrica and not on its present. Hours of studying were spent on past kings and queens, tribes and clans, and yet barely any time was devoted to learning about what surrounded her at that very moment.

"The Queen is waiting only for you," the guide said, bowing to the Vampire King, "I hope she gives you a warm welcome, King Nicholas. As for me, I'm no longer required."

The guards opened the doors without uttering a word, allowing the two foreigners to enter the throne room.

The orange-tinted walls were painted with pictures of Zebrican life, ranging from the historical nomadic times to the modern settled-down way of living. A big variety of paintings adorned the walls as well, depicting various rulers of Zebrica as well as of other countries. They included the current princesses of Equestria, the current and past rulers of a number of Griffon Kingdoms, the past rulers of Yakyakistan, and a number of other interesting persons. Among all the portraits, one of Nicholas himself was visible.

Before Daring Do could compare the old portrait to the person it depicted, her attention was caught by the Zebrican Queen. She was sitting on a peacock throne slightly above the floor level. Her fur was black with white stripes, her mane was long, wavy, and white, and her eyes were of piercing crimson not unlike the eyes of Nicholas. She wore a simple white dress of silk, an elegant white open crown with silver embroidery atop her head, and a pair of silver rings in her ears.

Nicholas took off his hat and pressed it against his chest, lowering the keffiyeh to reveal his face, and taking off his glasses to hide them in one of the pockets. Then, he politely bowed, and the adventurer followed his example, reluctantly revealing her face as well.

"I bid you welcome, Nicholas of Vallaer, the Vampire King," she spoke in a gentle yet powerful voice, "And I welcome you, Daring Do."

Daring Do nearly gasped, her eyes widening. Her heartbeat increased and a myriad of thoughts rushed to her head. This didn't go unnoticed by the queen.

"I very much like your books," Damu Msemaji softly said to the adventurer, smiling, "Not many may know that they are true, but there is a reason why the copies we have are in the history section of our library. Don't be afraid – your secret is safe. Although I have to say that seeing you with my own eyes is surprising, especially in such an unusual company," she rose from the throne, "In any case, with pleasantries of introductions out of the way, let us proceed to the main hall. I imagine you're quite hungry after your trip."


Daring Do didn't know what to expect but she wasn't disappointed. It wasn't a big feast like those held in Canterlot during the important events, but it was rich in the choice of food and drink. Most of the dishes were comprised of traditional Zebrican cuisine, including fried plantain for a snack, vegetable relish and a bean stew for the main course, and mini jam and coconut tarts for the dessert. For Nicholas, a special meal was served: an assortment of raw meats with some blood still left in them along with a cup filled with the delicious red liquid of the same origin. The adventurer tried not to look in the same direction, instead focusing on her own plateful of food and hoping that its smell would remain strong enough to hide the scent of fresh meat.

"I quite like this," he commented, biting a piece off of what appeared to be a chicken breast. Daring Do tried to ignore the sound of his teeth tearing and chewing the meat, "Reminds me of the feasts at Vallaer... Just right on special occasions like this."

"I'll tell the cook that you're pleased with the meal," Damu Msemaji nodded with a small smile on her face, "It was his first time making it, and I'm sure he'll take your satisfaction to heart."

"Truthfully, I would've never expected such quality of cooking," Nicholas admitted, "A meal of millennia-old recipe... made almost perfectly by a first-time cook," he took a sip of the red liquid from the cup, "Very impressive indeed."

"Thank you," the Zebrican Queen nodded in gratitude and then turned to Daring Do, noticing that the adventurer didn't eat much, "My dear, is something wrong?"

"No, it's just... uh..."

"I believe she is unaccustomed to my diet," Nicholas interjected.

"Y-yeah..." the mare admitted nervously.

"Dost not thou fret, I completely understand," the Vampire King assured her, "Not many ponies can stand even seeing raw meat and blood," he turned to the Zebrican Queen, "Is it possible for her to dine separately? I wouldn't want her to lose her appetite. Thy food is certainly worth enjoying."

"It's not a problem at all," Damu Msemaji assured, "Come, Daring Do; I have a special hall nearby where you can enjoy the meal without a single distraction. Meanwhile, King Nicholas and I will discuss our politics – I'm reasonably sure you're not interested in that sort of thing."

"A-alright..." Daring Do nodded and stood up from the table. The Zebrican Queen ordered one of the guards to escort her to the hall, and a maid came to help her move the plates of food.

"Very well, King Nicholas," Damu Msemaji spoke once Daring Do left, "I suppose we can now discuss the matters at hoof."

"Of course," he nodded in reply, using a napkin to wipe some blood left on his lips, "In this case, I'm wondering how thou foundst us in the first place."

"My Ancestors preserved the past very well, and your return was foretold," she fulfilled his curiosity, "When the moon shone red, we knew it was the time. I welcome you back to the world of the living, Winter Flame."

"Ah..." the Vampire King went silent for a few moments, raising a brow, "I see thy kind rememberth. Very well, I'm positively surprised... and impressed," he leaned forward slightly, "Very well, then. I shall allow thy kind to travel freely to my kingdom, although it is quite difficult... I'm surprised thy messenger managed to make it on his own."

"A few potions to keep his body going was all he needed, but it's true there needs to be a better way," Damu Msemaji agreed with a nod, "What do you think about airships?"

"Air ships? I don't believe I've heard of such things," Nicholas said with curiosity, "But I would certainly like to learn what they are. I suspect 'tis not as simple as making a ship fly, is it?"

"Not quite. Airships are bigger than regular ships of the same capacity, for example," she replied, "I suppose I can show them to you once we are done here. Their landing isn't too far away from here."

"Very well," the Vampire King nodded, "Let us discuss the more... mundane things."


Sometime later, the sun had begun to make its way down to disappear below the horizon. The moon peeked, ready to take its place in the sky. The stars chimed in one by one, the brightest of them clearly visible even in the fading sunlight. The winds calmed down, and coming was the night's living silence. The snow sparkled under the dimming rays of the sun, giving a bluish hue to the surroundings.

Luna and the six Bearers of the Elements stood outside the warm buildings, preparing to travel to the source of vampires' magic. Twilight Sparkle's horn glowed slightly as she scanned the air, pulling on invisible strings of magical energy that encompassed the world. Everyone waited: some calmly, and some anxiously. The moon continued its ascent, reddening as it rose. The horn of the unicorn brightened its glow, and soon she could sense it – the trembling of the magical energy, the disturbance she was looking for. She checked the compass and chose a direction.

"It's nineteen degrees north-east," she said and then turned to Princess Luna, "Should we go?"

She replied with a simple nod, and the group began moving. The snow crunched under their hurrying steps as the ponies adopted a steady and relatively fast pace that none of them seemed to notice. Minutes passed in silence as they went further and further away from the settlement, going deeper into the snowy hills and rocky mountains. The smooth white surface was disturbed by their steps, which became more and more difficult to make the further they went. However, the fortune smiled on them, and the snow wasn't deep enough to slow them down significantly.

"Am I the only one thinking that we should've taken the guards?" Rarity wondered aloud.

"We shall come to them in peace, we need no guards," the alicorn explained, "And I believe that we are more than capable of defending ourselves if it comes to that, but I am fairly certain we shan't have to," she turned to Twilight, "Is the signal steady?"

"Yes, it is," she nodded, "And it's only growing stronger! I can... almost hear some voices."

"Let us keep going, then," Luna nodded, "Chances are, we shall reach them before dawn. If not, we shall set up a camp for the day."

"Can't wait to reach that vampire..." Rainbow Dash grumbled.

"We are on a diplomatic mission," the princess cut her off, "I doubt Nicholas would be very happy about your attitude."

"Nicholas? That's a strange name," Pinkie Pie spoke up, "Is he that huge vampire we saw last night?"

"He is," Luna nodded, "He hasn't harmed anyone yet, so I'd rather see it remain mutual. He is interested in us as much as we are in him and his kind. It would be good for us to avoid violence or jumping to conclusions."

"B-but don't vampires... drink blood?" Fluttershy asked in a trembling voice.

"If they do it, it's their conscious decision. In this case, they can be reasoned with, I believe," Luna assured the nervous pegasus, "My sister examined the current crime reports, especially those connected to missing ponies. All were accounted for, and no reports of ponies being bitten or drained of blood were found."

"P-ponies go missing?"

"In most cases, it's elderly with memory problems. They're always found," the princess explained, "In other cases, ponies merely move out of cities and live their lives... 'off the grid'. Some get away from their overprotective parents, some simply wanted to disappear and start things anew... in any case, the main point is that there have been no vampire attacks."

"But blood doesn't just... grow in an orchard," Applejack noted, "Where's it taken from? Cows? Goats? They gotta get it from somewhere."

"We shall figure it out once we establish a connection with the vampires," Luna stated, "Anyway, we have a long way ahead. Conserve your energy."

They continued on deeper and deeper into the north. The wind suddenly blew, raising clouds of snow and making the ponies narrow their eyes in order to see. Thankfully, their compass proved to be reliable, and they didn't stray off their course. Having a no less strong affinity for magic than Twilight Sparkle, Luna could feel the group getting closer to the source of the magic. The invisible vibrations of energy increased and the moon become redder and redder, and soon something interesting could be heard among the blowing winds.

"Does anyone hear that?" Rainbow Dash was the first one to speak up.

"Sounds like a song..." Fluttershy nodded, her ears perked up.

"It's at the source of the magic, I can feel it," Twilight Sparkle added and then checked her compass, "Oh wait..."

"What's wrong?" Luna asked with worry as she walked up to the unicorn. The two looked at the compass and saw its arrow spinning at a steady rate, "Hm, interesting... Could be interference, could be a magnetic anomaly."

"I think I can still figure out where the source is," Twilight stated confidently and looked around. In the distance, she could see the feet of the mountains almost touching, leaving but a narrow opening in between, "There!"

Dropping the compass into her saddlebags, the lavender unicorn slightly adjusted her course and headed towards the way. The snow almost completely obstructed her vision, forcing her to rely solely on her magic. The other ponies followed her close behind in a line. The harsh winds blew and whistled, covering their tracks almost instantly after they were made. The reddish glow of the moon was the only light guiding their way, showing them the path to their destination as if it wanted the vampires to be found.

Step by step, the mountains grew closer and yet ever so distant. They were in plain view, and yet the way to them ended up being longer than the ponies expected. The snow whipped their bodies as it descended from the sky carried by the wind, whistling and howling. The ponies were close together, trying not to stray off, for a certain death would be their end if they did.

A song entered their ears, now fully audible even through the howling wind. An enchanting aria seemingly sang by the moon itself cascaded upon the ponies, accompanied by the deep sounds of a pipe organ. The song rolled across the mountain range, reverberation off their sides and rising higher and higher.

"So beautiful..." Luna whispered, the reflection of the red moon clear in her eyes.

"Creepy..." Applejack said hesitantly, "Ah'm not the one to call chicken, but... Maybe that's the call for us to turn back home?"

"Sure you're not chickening out?" Rainbow Dash teased her, hiding her own fear.

"We're close, I don't think it'd be a good decision to go back now," Twilight shook her head, her ears swiveling around as she tried to find the source of the song, "I can't figure out where the song's source is, but I believe it's close to the source of the magic."

As they talked, the sky filled with color: columns of wavering light came down from the cosmos, brightening the darkness. Luna was the first to notice it, and she stopped in her tracks, raising her head. The others soon followed, silencing their conversation and watching as the Aurora shimmered with light along with the crimson moon. Slowly and carefully, they continued on their way; the weather subsided slightly, allowing them to see more clearly. The invisible one continued to sing wordlessly, and the song grew closer the further the ponies went.

In what seemed like an instant, they found their way into the valley between the mountains. The winds became more pleasant, and all sounds were deafened by the song as it continued to play. The ponies grew more fearful with each passing moment, and yet a sense of wonder and curiosity guided them forward, carefully placing their every step in the snow.

"The source of magic is very close," Twilight Sparkle told everyone, "Just... a few hundred meters away, I believe," she looked at her compass once again, but it was still spinning. Sighing, she put it back into her saddlebags.

"Be on your guard, everyone," Luna advised, "We have no idea what kind of welcome they shall give us."

"And what if..." Fluttershy said and then lowered her voice, "What if they... capture us?"

"I am reasonably sure they shan't do that," the princess furrowed her brows, "But if they do... we'll find a way."

"With all due respect... I'm not so sure," Rarity voiced her concern, "Your majesty, you simply can't believe that those... blood-sucking creatures won't try anything."

"I understand what you mean, but I believe they can be reasoned with at the very least," Luna replied, "They aren't a band of simple-minded beasts. No beast could've made that sword Twilight mentioned to me."

Unbeknownst to them, the vampires could already see and hear them clearly – a few of them were stationed around the valley, hidden among the deep piles of snow. One of them was hurriedly writing on a piece of paper, which he then proceeded to press against a red ruby on his armor. The ruby pulsated, and the paper disappeared in a small flash of crimson light.


As King Nicholas and Queen Damu Msemaji discussed the terms of their possible alliance and mutual support, the gem on the necklace of the vampire buzzed slightly and began to glow. Furrowing his brows, he excused himself while tapping it with his hoof. A piece of paper appeared, which he immediately brought to his eyes.

"Is something the matter?" the Zebrican Queen asked with interest.

"...I believe I must return to my kingdom at once," he said, raising from the chair he was sitting on, "Forgive me, but we shall have to delay this discussion until the issue is resolved."

"I understand. Maybe I should send an ambassador to your kingdom?" she suggested.

"I suppose that would work rather well. The implications of this sudden issue might prevent me from returning anytime soon," he folded the paper and stuck it in one of the folds of his clothing, "Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience. If I may suggest, let Daring Do stay and study for as long as she'd like, and I'd like if thou couldst arrange for shelter and food for my stallions as well. Once all is done, Daring Do must return to Vallaer along with the stallions."

"It won't be difficult," Damu Msemaji nodded, "Very well, I shall look forward to our next meeting. Farewell."

Nicholas nodded, the glow of the ruby intensifying; a flash of crimson light consumed him as he disappeared from the room with a loud pop. For a moment, the Zebrican Queen sat in her place, tapping her chin in thought, but then she stood up and went to arrange everything the Vampire King asked of her. Their meeting might've been cut short, but it was still enough for her to understand what kind of person Nicholas was and if the alliance with his kingdom would be mutually beneficial.

Meanwhile, Nicholas appeared high in the sky above his kingdom. For a moment, he was freefalling, but he managed to easily get back control using his powerful wings. Down below, he could see seven small dots making their way to the entrance of Vallaer. He folded his wings and dived, quickly gaining speed as he fell closer and closer to the ground. His crimson eyes didn't let go of the dots, fixating on them, watching as they went closer and closer to the cave. He had no intention of stopping them; however, he would need to be the one greeting them.

From inside the cave, another seven dots stepped out of the shadows. They formed a semicircle around the first seven, making them stop.

Princess Luna stood in front of the ponies as they frantically looked around, wishing for nothing more than to run back. Even Rainbow Dash, the bravest of them all, counted her chances and realized that a retreat seemed like the best possible option. The seven vampires that appeared out of the cave were dressed from head to hooves in dark steel armor, their glowing eyes hidden behind the visors of their helmets. They didn't have their weapons drawn, but it was obvious they could do it at any moment. In each of their helmets, a ruby was installed, glowing ever so slightly under the night sky.

"We come in peace," Princess Luna spoke up, "May we see your ruler?"

"King Nicholas shall be here soon," one of the vampires said, his accented and gruff voice coming muffled from inside the helmet.

"...Very well," the alicorn nodded slowly, "But may we enter the cave?"

"He shall decide," was the simple reply.

In a moment, a shadow passed over the ponies. The six young mares gasped as they looked up and saw the Vampire King gliding across the snowy valley. He turned around in the air and landed in front of Princess Luna, snow rising from under his wings. He straightened his posture and looked her in the eyes as she looked into his. His face was apparent: thin, pale, and with bright eyes of crimson. His mane black and tied behind his head as it usually was. His ears were pointy, and he aimed them directly at the unexpected guests. It was the first time Luna took in his facial features, and they didn't look unpleasant. Unusual, perhaps, but not ugly like one might expect from someone who drinks blood.

Everything was silent, even the wind disappeared. Vapor escaped the mouths of everyone present as they breathed, waiting for an invisible sign. The six ponies behind Princess Luna were silent as well, but their minds were filled with many different questions; fears, too. Everyone understood that this meeting was a mark on the history of both vampires and ponies; everything depended on how it goes down.

"Welcome, Princess Luna of Equestria," Nicholas spoke loudly and bowed politely to the alicorn of the night, "Let us proceed inside."