• Published 22nd May 2016
  • 446 Views, 11 Comments

Falconers and the Embers of Nations - MadDonut



With the arm'ys of Istudious being led by the little know Quariomy Verex, Igneous can only pray that their cofrontation does not erupt into war against the poorly defended nation of Noriphmy.

  • ...
3
 11
 446

Chapter 2 Author Donnavitch

Igneouses and Adridges team had traveled through most of the day as promised and now they settled down in the midst of a decaying town that had long since been abandoned through reasons of outside threats and trade convenience. Adridge said she would ready the fire and Floritha Lindestic did what most pegasus do as a falconer and that was to scout and keep watch from any danger in the immediate area and when that was finished to meat back for the briefing about the mission they were prepared to undertake.

“It shouldn't be long,” Adridge said looking up into the sky as she sat at the doorway to the mostly stable building they had decided to quarter in. “I give it ten minutes max for a good thero sweep.”

“Hows about a mediocre job?” Rechon asked as he pressed his hoof against a sheet of glass that immediately shattered.

“Careful, ” Oxinum said as he laid down in a corner appearing to sleep. “Were trying to stay the night not turn it to rubble.”

“I’ll take the nights sky rather than this old building.”

“You can once we're done with the briefing,” Adridge said still continuing to gaze at the sky even though she lost track of both Lindestic and Floritha. She found that they got along rather pretty well as they flew across the sky earlier this day. She may have even heard the sounds of laughter as was expected from Lindestic when he found himself and others board. His hilarity didn’t come out of trying though it mostly came from casualness and the simplicity of the things he said or regarded. Such a thing cannot be explained only experienced. “Say,” Adridge said lowering her head to the entrance of the doorway as she spoke. “Where did Igneous run off too? How do I always lose sight of him,” she said shaking her head. Last time such a thing happened they ended up hiding with Igneous having to heal from inflicted wounds. Three marks across his face and six along his body with badly broken bones and deep cut scars that he had purged later on that year. His only explanation as to why was that he hadn't really savored the sight of scars, especially his own as he feared imitation.

“Igneous? He went on a walk,” Oxinum said with a sigh. “As to why i'm not sure, I myself don’t know Igneous too well unfortunately. Not unlike his former team.”

“What truly happened?” she asked. “The only thing I’ve heard were whispers and vaugality through word of mouth. Really all there was is one team left to the wilderness straighten for nothing in particular. Then weeks later returns barely even a team or two. Both broken were fragments of a third team lingered and killed itself off.”

Oxinum raised his head and said, “Did those mouths happen to be poets? Sounds rather corny” He topped it off with a condescending smirk as he laid his head back down resuming acting disengaged.

Rechon seemed to snicker at that however Adridge sighted out of minor annoyance.

"Corny?" Rechon asked.

"An utterance of a word by Joel," he answered. "You don't know him, but I find his speech rather fascinating."

“I'll go find him.” She then stood up and walked off in no specific direction. The small villages they were in wasn’t exactly big only about ten deteriorating buildings that seemed as if they could fall at any moment with the constant abuse of the majestic winds waters and snow that came each year.

This place itself had no more than ten buildings that shared a similar resemblance in the way that it was built. Wooden logs and hardly any planks. Finding Igneous should not have been too hard given the pathways were made of dirt and not some form of stone so she quickly found slight hints of hoofsteps which she followed into what appeared to be a house with a half caved in room. “Igneous?” she called out. The was the sounds of a scuffle in the next room over and she walked in to find him using his sword to pop the lid off of a crate that sat hidden in the corner of the room. “What's this?” she asked.

He turned his head surprised at her sneakiness with her dark armor making a perfect silhouette in the light that came in from outside. He said, “My theory; a stash.” He leveled his head upward to get a better view inside the chest high box and pulled out a few fixed weapons. “Bandits. They’ve been here,” he said as he threw the device to the ground.

Adridge sighed and sat down next to the weapon as Igneous kept digging through the crate for more. She summoned a tool and picking up the device she began to dismantle it and gradually discarding pieces as they fell away. “Igneous,” she said as she continued to work. “I’ve been meaning to talk to you.”

“Manny have wanted to,” he said not continuing to dig around. There were only three weapons two of which were fixed and one meant for a unicorn. Now there were cloths and cloths and four much smaller boxes that sat at the bottom of the crate. “I never gave them the time of day.”

“Would you do so for me?” she asked. He didn’t answer as he began throwing the pieces of cloth and clothing on the ground. “I'm not just some stranger or commoner I’m your friend Igneous.”

“I wouldn’t want to chase you off.” He tipped the crate over letting two of the four smaller boxes tumble out. “You would be my third by the end of this mission. I swear by it.”

“Yea,” she said jokingly nodding as she finished the second and leaving it in a pile with the others. “I could imagine we all would be at eachothers throats by the end of this mission. Months could drive one crazy.”

“That's not wha~,” he was going to finish but then he wanted to give his best respects to Adridge. “Yes,” he said agreeing with her. “This could drive anypony crazy.”

“Igneous,” she said having noticed his compensation. “It should be known that I’ve always have seen you as a sort of troubled spirit. More so than most and even though you try, ponies are still drawn to you.” Igneous sat himself down as he stared down at the ground and at the contents of the first smaller box that contained rotted food. “By all means I should hate you if you were anypony else, but you… there's something more. You're a natural leader.”

His ears perked and he felt his spine crawl. “I'm not. Don't ever say that,” he pleaded.

“You're doing it now, even as we speak. You can’t deny yourself who you are.”

“Who am I?” he said avoiding glances.

“Igneous,” she quietly answered. “Your Igneous and nopony else. You a Falconer and proud of it. You the leader of a team and humble to it. Lead us now, this night and days to come. I… may get lazy… Sometimes” she said giving him a warm welcoming smile.

This drew out a smile of his own: A rare sight as it was not one of combat or of danger but a genuine smile. “I think I’ll have to pick up the burden then.” He lifted the lid on the next box revealing tools for work and repair. He set it aside.

“There Igneous. There you are. My leader.” She took the third box from within the larger crate and found it contained pieces of bandages and some fire paper oddly enough. From outside they heard the sound of metal hoofs hitting the dirt followed up by chatting both from Rechon and Floritha casually going over topics as they trotted passed the building Adridge and Igneous occupied and headed for where every pony else had gathered. “Seems there back,” she said standing up and readjusting her black cape so that it laid across her back blending in with her dark armor. “Will you be coming?”

He nodded his head and stood up but just before he exited with Adridge he remembered the last box that sat in the lower corner of the crate. Mutely he reentered the room and picked it up in his magical grip. It was almost empty save it for a solid object that bounced around within it not boasting in much of weight. He removed the lid and found that it was a book with no title. It was old with thin pages but when he opened it he found that the writing was still pristine.

‘My name is Donnavitch Areious,’ it read. ‘And to me there is much to be known I should boast. However I won’t bore myself with having to reiterate my past but however I…’ Igneous got cut off from reading when Adridge called him wondering why he failed to follow. “I'm Here!” he called out as he bagged the book at his side and exited the household.

That night when most Igneous expected little of them to fall asleep. After the briefing most were left speechless at the knowledge bestowed upon them so abruptly. An intier nation still alive and nopony knew, and not only that but one with a possible army fueled by the rage of Noriphmy’s ignorance towards their existance. Even Adridge felt betrayed by what she had to hear. Most left although not completely as they only wanted someplace lonely the think. Oxinum and Floritha having already known this for some time stayed and slept somewhat easier than Adridges team.

Igneous knew it was best to leave troubled mines to themselves but he himself hardly found sleep either. He couldn’t help but feel that this was somehow his fault. Mabie through means of siblings it was as it was his father's fault or maybe his father's father and Kohligan just found himself in the same position.

These thoughts thretened to invade him further and he feared corruption so he harkened back to a friend who always said when she was troubled she would just read something about magic. It soothed the nerves for her and eased the mind. So Igneous thoe not having a book on magic still had a documented journal at his side. Author Devonivitch if he remembered correctly.

Checking the status on Oxinum and Floritha he could tell they were fast asleep as he ordered. Sitting in the corner with his hardened armor pressing up against the wood he unpacked the book and began reading the first page...

My name is Donnavitch Areious, and to me there is much to be known I should boast. However I won’t bore myself with having to reiterate my past but however it should be known that I myself derive from Istudious. I have decided to leave. Not with the caravans though it gives me equal opportunity amongst common rank, but off to the land of Carridian themselfs. A place of which is new and unexplored.

My goals are not entirely certain as they are unrealistic but it should be said I admired the Hexers during there existence. There magic was something to marvel at as they seemed to define what power is. Even to an earth pony magic was not out of reach as a Hexer. With myself being of earth I should find comfort in knowing that I am not bound to the natural laws of nature. At least not entirely. The source of their magic is unknown but there once was a saying amongst ourselves that if one needed an adventure to simply walk in any direction and you just may find it. Perhaps magic could also apply.

My allegiance during this journey will and forever is to Istudious. It will remain strong and even stronger still to Quariomy Verex. A vow if any pony may have would be Quariomy. A pony to be admired if one to be admired ever existed. A pony that with presents alone could command grand halls with the slightest essence of voice. Quariomy is a leader a beacon of our own and even in hard times and harder times to come Quariomy will faithfully be there to lead us in times of hardship were as the blood of the faithful will strongly guide us towards greatness.

Here I leave only as a vessel. Who I am and where I come from is and has been forever etched into the blood that flows within me. Let me never forget and let me forever stand strong.

“Quariomy,” Igneous whispered. The last stranger's name his father had whispered before he died, Quariomy Verex was the one supposed to bring war. A prince leading an army or perhaps a king if married, but, ‘a pony to be admired if one to be admired ever existed.” Clearly the ponies under his reign pledge his allegiance and would do anything if commanded. Kill even.

Igneous knew they already had a quarrel even before ever meeting but with Igneous and Noriphmy making preparations, any wrath of Quariomy may be averted and war won't have to be. This valley was big enough for two nations and the last thing Carridian needed was a war of hatred. It would be the second were as the first was a war for unity.

Resting his mind from further thought Igneous continued where he left off intent on knowing more about Quariomy if Dennavitch so allowed.

Day one; I depart.

Author's Note:

(Gugh don't thing just write write write and publish)
I got kind of a wird homeostasis thing going on. When I'm gone I think about what I wanna write but when I'm here I just wanna play steam. So nothing gets done ;;;---;;;
I'll do another ID just cause I'm board.
Binding Stone
Found as dust, harden to rock its the one earthly item that can directly interact with dark magic from within. Exclusive to its host it often times finds itself etched into the hilts of weapons to be eather be wielded on the battlefield with great ease or summoned as black tinted phantoms ready for combat.
Black phantom weapons carry few extra traits but one significant attribute that most smiths adore is its invincibility, causing the blade to fully withstand scratches weather and degradation allowing the weapon the phantom to be indestructible.
However the physical weapon if summoned becomes horribly at risk of breaking at the slightest of impacts causing most smiths to hide or burry there weapons to safeguard them during summons.
One byproduct of a broken binding stone is a black flame both of magic and not of magic as it can be passed from one smith to another were as every other form of dark magic cannot.

A little off track with that one but hey what ya gonna do. That's two in one.