• Published 17th Jun 2012
  • 3,783 Views, 54 Comments

The Whisper in My Ears - FlashFoward



Spike takes a leave from the Gala this year, but a whisper persuades him to do otherwise.

  • ...
3
 54
 3,783

Justified

Spike, are you alright?

“Don’t bother me.”

You will have to deal with me for the rest of the night. And I am in your head, getting rid of me will be no easy task.

“Alright, fine. I am grumpy because…well.” Spike started to say. But couldn’t finish because he wasn’t quite sure how he felt as well.

Rarity was talking to Fancy Pants and you got terribly jealous.

Spike scrapped the surface of the table he was sitting on, absent mindedly, and finally replied “Yeah, I got pretty worked up.”

I take it you feel that Fancy is somewhat a threat to you?

“What do you mean?” Spiked asked.

You know exactly what I mean.

He wasn’t admitting it, but he was really nervous that Rarity preferred Fancy over him. True, when it came to competing for Rarity’s attention Spike was usually one to fail. It seemed becoming a famous designer himself was the ace in the hole to get Rarity’s attention, which obviously Spike is not.

Quiet are we not?

Spike did his best not to respond, biting on his tongue to ensure nothing would slip out. There was an audible sigh and Spike knew the whisper had no interest to pursue the subject. How wrong he was.

Well if you won’t confess, perhaps it’s time to take a peek into your mind~

“You wouldn’t.” Spike said in disbelief, his jaw went slack.

Oh, but I will. That is, if you just confess already. Then no harm will be done on your little head

None of the options seemed fair to Spike. Either way, the whisper would learn what it wanted eventually. It all really boiled down to if Spike wanted to cooperate, or go down in denial. Spike didn't want someone venturing through his thoughts, especially ones that were personal, like a book, good thing Twilight never learned a spell like this because Spike might be the first victim. Seeing that confessing is probably better than the whispering probing his mind, Spike started to talk.

“Fine, I did get a little jealous of Fancy Pants getting so much attention from Rarity.” Spike finally admitted, in a defeated tone.

Good little dragon. Not that hard was it now?

“It was like pulling teeth, if you must ask.” Spike joked darkly.

Better than me probing your mind unwillingly.


“You act like I had good choices in the matter.” Spike retorted. A giggle started to ring in Spike’s ears.

Out of frustration, Spike melted a fork down to nothing more than a ball of metal. Inspecting his handiwork, Spike decided to make use of his new found ball of silverware. Taking aim at one of the ice sculptures of a swan, with lots of ponies lingering around it, Spike lit up the ball and threw it at the sculpture. The ball flew into the chest of the sawn ice sculpture and exited out the other side, leaving a rather noticeable hole through the figure. The flames and the sheer force of the ball started to take its toll soon though, cracks started to form and the sculpture start to melt rapidly. Remarkably, not a pony noticed the sculptures collapse until it was too late.

The strain of its own weight was too much for the cracks on the sculpture, the sculpture snapped into many dripping pieces of ice. The pieces weren’t all that big, roughly the size of an average rock, so hurting a pony wasn’t all that possible. However, its small size was made up for the sheer amount of chunks of ice. Many of the ponies underneath the once standing sculpture were now dripping wet and had still had some ice on their clothes. And to Spike’s pleasure, Fancy Pants fell victim to the prank as well. His mustache was a mess, so was his hair, and he looked very aggravated.
Spike snickered to himself at the misfortune of Fancy Pants more than anything. The sculptures were a great tool for pranks, but the mess in return was not all that great. Usually, the less evidence a prank leaves behind the better. However, the collapsing ice sculptures left puddles of water and many ponies’s kept their distance from the ice sculptures now. It looked like this would be a one-time thing, well actually two for Spike at this point.

Ice sculptures….they never seem to hold together by the time a party ends.

“What do you expect? It’s ice. It will wither melt or somepony is bound to break it.” Spike replied simply.

Like you?

“Oh, right.” Spike said sheepishly.

Hm, perhaps it’s time for the stampede? It’s getting late.

Spike looked around at the ball room for a moment. There didn’t much else to do now. Half of the ponies who came to the Gala were tipsy after drinking AJ’s spiked punch, a lot of ponies were soaking wet after the fall of two ice sculptures, and the music that the band have been playing has been more upbeat since Spike left them. For the little amount of time Spike felt like he spent here, he sure did accomplish a lot.

“Yeah, I guess so.” Spike finally answered reluctantly.

Sounds like you don’t want this to end.

“Sorta, I am really enjoying myself here.” Spike said with a grin.

Maybe next year we can have some more pranks here. Heavens knows, maybe I’ll personally assist you then.

“Wow! I look forward to that!” Spike said, gushing with excitement.

Spike made his way out to the gardens of the Gala. It was quite a sight, like everything else at the Gala. Exotic and lavish trees and bushes of all sorts were everywhere. The animals though, seemed to be the most interesting thing in this garden. A large variety of birds, bugs, owls, deer and many countless animals were present in here. How in the world did all these animals get here? Spike had some deep doubts that all these animals have lived here all this time.

I come down here every once in a while.

“Do you now?” Spike asked, obviously interested on how the whisper is able to visit the garden at whim.

Oh yes, especially when I desire to just take a stroll. This garden really takes you mind off things.

Spike decided to give this a shot. He laid down flat on his back and stared into the night sky. The rustling of the leaves as the wind passed by reminded Spike of a flute, the sounds of the animals scurrying about really started to soothe his mind. It was hard to tell what was really just more intoxicating to stare at, the beautiful starry night or gentle vibes that were present in the garden. Sticking to stare at the sky, Spike took surveyed the countless stars above him. The back ground sounds of the garden were only enhancing the feel that he was really in the middle of a forest. The rotation of the very planet could be felt to Spike. It was an odd feeling, he felt like he was moving but he really wasn’t. How small he felt, more than usual, as he gazed into the stars captivating glow. So close but yet so far. The moon had worked its way out of some clouds and into Spike’s eye view. No words could justify how enchanting the view of the night sky was.

“Wow. Luna is really lucky to be able to make all this.” Spiked said in awe.

Marvelous, is it? The dark night sky never really fails to fascinate me, no matter how often I look at it.

Spike suddenly remembered why he was even out here in the first place. The sight of the night sky will have to wait, to Spike’s disappointment. Getting up and dusting himself off, Spike started to try to find ways to aggravate or terrify the animals in the garden. The animals took no notice to Spike’s attempts while some animals could be seen rolling on the floor in the middle of a fit of laughter. One bird even pecked Spike right on the nose after Spike bared his teeth at it.

“How in the world did Fluttershy pull this off?” Spike snapped angrily.

Heard she got very…loud to make them run off.

“How loud are we talking about?” Spike asked anxiously.

Loud to the point of breaking glass and eardrums into little pieces.

“But she is so shy and quiet!” Spike said in disbelief.

There are sides to friends we never know.

“So, what do I do?” Spike asked in a defeated sort of way.

Obviously, not give up.

Spike was about to retort when he heard same bushes rustling behind him. He would have dismissed it as an animal of some sort if it weren’t for the faint sound of a gasp that was let out. Spike walked his over to the bushes behind him and saw Fluttershy there. She looked terrified of being caught and hid behind her mane.

“Nice to see you Fluttershy, how was your night?” Spike asked, trying to act oblivious that meeting a friend behind a bush is completely normal.

“Good.” Fluttershy whispered, muffled to the point of no sound due to hiding behind her mane.

“What are you doing out here?” Spike said, trying desperately to break the tension.
Fluttershy stopped hiding behind her mane and gazed into Spike’s eyes, which made him feel awkward, “Just coming to see the animals.” She answered in her usual faint voice.

“I can see that.” Spike said with a little too much cheeriness in his voice. He might as well be a creepy clown with the way he was talking.

“Mind telling me how you made the stampede last year?” Spike asked with genuine curiosity, trying not to let his devious grin plaster his face.

“Oh well, you see…” Fluttershy started to say.

It was a fairly complicated story, from how Fluttershy resorted to trapping animals to be with her and to the point she started to yell at them for showing a lack of "love" to her. The more in depth she got on her story, the more his mouth opened up in shock and disbelief. As Fluttershy finished her tale, Spike finally got out of his trance of being speechless and the first words out of mouth were

“I would have never known.” Spike said, in surprise. Fluttershy just blushed of embarrassment.

"I am not here to do that again!" Fluttershy said in a panicky voice.

"Well your not. Doesn't mean you speak for the rest of us." Spike hinted.