• Published 17th Jun 2012
  • 2,921 Views, 111 Comments

The Harmony Games - Antares



Alternate take on beginning of FIM, tournament, combat, human ponies, no OC

  • ...
2
 111
 2,921

Chapter 10: The finalists

"Ladies and gentlemen," Princess Celestia called out with all the penetrating might of her voice. "I'm certain you've all had a wondrous day." The stadium roared its approval loud enough to almost match Celestia's call. The princess waited a few seconds for them to quiet down. When this failed to happen, the master of the sun sighed and conjured a bubble in her hand. For a few instance all the noise in the arena heightened in pitch as it was sucked into the bubble. Then Celestia daintily popped the bubble, and there was complete silence. Smiling to herself at the looks of surprise and shock on many of her subject's faces as they tried to continue their cheering and babbling, Celestia cleared her throat to begin again. "But now it is time to present our champions for this round. Would all our contestants please make their way down to the front."

More silent cheering was mimed by the crowd, with a couple of groups trying to form their chants physically. However as seconds passed and the stage remained empty the mute celebration slowly petered out. Standing beside the princess, Shining Armor had one of the guards whispering sharply in his ear. His expression shifted to one of surprise, and he quickly relayed the message to the princess.

"Apparently all the contestants left in a rush a few minutes ago. What should we do, Princess?" The captain of the guard looked slightly panicked, but Celestia appeared the paragon of calm, appearing simply to think for a second. Then she turned again to the crowd.

"The contestants have already left in preparation for the next round of competition. This concludes today's section: go and enjoy the wonders of Canterlot." The crowd, although slightly confused by the change in schedule, still cheered politely and began to leave. Shining Armor sighed in relief.

"It's good you know the contestants are safe mam." He chuckled lightly, which Celestia joined in.

"That would be nice," Celestia said, the smile never leaving her lips. "Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea where they are. Now come, we need to find them before they all do something horrendously stupid."


Earlier

The back alleys of Canterlot were surprisingly well kept, better than many main streets one would find in the outlying settlements. And it lacked any sense of danger; you could still hear children playing joyously nearby. Although it had to be said, a back alley in Canterlot served a vastly different purpose to one anywhere else, catering more to the selfish yet harmless whims of the upper class rather than anything truly shady.

That was easily changeable though.

Skulking in the shadows just outside the arena, a single figure in a makeshift shawl waited to spot someone she could engage to do her dirty work. She didn't have to wait long, as out of the stadium shambled the sorry remains of the Diamond Dogs. Most of the lesser members were gone, a few even leaving the group as she watched. The leaders were an even more pathetic sight. Garble was bruised and battered, still barely walking straight and holding a large steak to his face. Rover was glowering at anything and everything in sight, scaring the few passersby unlucky enough to still be out. However his favourite targets were still his lieutenants, cowering pathetically behind him. Disheartened, dishevelled and pathetic. Perfect.

"Psst!" the shawled figure hissed from the shadows, her voice obviously magically modulated. At first the gang members showed no sign of noticing, nor did they notice again after she hissed again. A small vein popped in her temple and without restraint she screamed out into the street "HEY NUMBSKULLS, GET OVER HERE!!!"

Spot and Fido, neither feeling particularly self confident at this point, immediately jumped at the sudden noise and made to dash into the alley until Rover grabbed their collars. The gang leader took one look in at the stranger beconing to them impatiently and groaned. "You've got to be joking," he growled as he dragged his remaining men into the alley. Garble simply groaned and followed.


"Ssso let me get thisss right," Rover said after the shawled figure finished making demands at them. "You want usss to go and beat up this little girl Twilight..."

"You don't have to hurt her physically," the stranger said warily. "Just make it so she can't compete. And is unrevokably humiliated, for ever and all time." The last part was muttered to herself, but quickly grew into an enigmatic evil laugh. The last chuckles gave way to an akward silence as the Diamond Dogs stared blankly at her.

"Yeah...I got that bit. But what'sss in it for us."

"Don't you all want revenge for getting your sorry backsides handed to you?"

"Yesss, but she didn't humiliate us. She humiliated you."

"What, no she didn't!"

"Missss Trixie, tying your cape ssstarry around your head doessssn't work as a disguise." Trixie stared at him blankly, although quickly becoming angry again.

"Fine, I'll pay you then." Gingerly Trixie revealed a large sack of gold pieces from under her cloak. Rover glowered at the trickster.

"What do you think we are? Common criminals? You think that you can asssk of us anything and offer us a few coins?! This is insssulting! I..." Without taking heed of his partner's outburst, Garble grabbed the sack and began walking away. The Diamond Dog's leader gawped at him, gagging a few times before finding his voice. "What are you doing?!"

"I've already been beaten by one girl today." Garble muttered. "I won't be beaten by another." Rover groaned, then moaned, then groaned again, before finally settling upon a sigh.

"Come on," he growled to Fido and Spot, both visibly confused. "Garble is going to buy us lunch after this is finished."

Trixie waited just long enough for the gang to be out of earshot before bursting into fits of maniacal laughter. "Oh Twilight, the revenge of the Great and Powerful Trixie will be short, swift and painful. Just like everything Trixie does. Wait, that....oh who cares!" With another cackle the Transcendent strutted out of the alley. A few seconds passed of nothing, then three familiar children burst round the corner.

"Did you hear that?!" Scootaloo squeaked to Applebloom and Sweetie Belle. "I told you they were up to something!"

"But what are we going to do?" Applebloom said.

"What else can we do? We're going to find them and beat them up before they can hurt anyone!"

"Yeah!" A vivid imagining of the three of them, inexplicably older and larger, bravely defeating the gang members in epic style flashed through Scootaloo and Applebloom's mind.

"Oooor we can go tell Rarity," Sweetie Belle said in her best dead pan voice, "and not get ourselves killed." A much more realistic scene of the gang members chasing them down with murderous intent replaced the girl's heroic vision.

"Awwwww!"


"But Twilight..."

"Spike, that's enough now."

"Twilight..."

"What Spike?!"

"What are we doing? The matches haven't ended yet." Twilight was walking out through the main gates, Spike held unwillingly over her shoulder. The streets were completely empty, not surprising since the presentation of the finalists was yet to occur. Conjecture was still high in the air over who would win the first bout, with very loud supporters of both sides calling out for their favorites.

"Spike, I told you already. We need to find this evidence of the apocalyptic event to prove to Princess Celestia that I'm right!" Spike groaned, a little louder than he usually would.

"I thought you'd gotten over this, taken the Princess' advice and actually started having fun. Weren't you enjoying yourself with Pinkie and Applejack?" For a split second Twilight hesitated, conflict on her face.

"I told you before Spike," she muttered to herself. "All that's just a waste of time." Spike didn't believe her, and she doubted she truly believed herself anymore. But she had to put her personal confusion aside: some things are more important than feelings. Like world saving. And proving oneself right. "Now come on, before we lose all the..." Concentrating more on Spike then her path, Twilight had unwittingly walked straight into something big and solid in the middle of the road. She looked up, finding her face pressed against Garble's abdomen, the rest of the Diamond Dogs leering round him.

"Can I...help you?"


“You’re jokin’, jokin’ right?”

“You can’t honestly expect that to work!”

“No!”

“Hell no!”

Rarity, the smuggest smile plastered across her lips, had both Rainbow Dash and Applejack bearing down on her with a mix of disbelief and desperation in their eyes. Despite her obvious muscle disadvantage, the Transcendent didn't seem the smallest bit intimidated. Behind them, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie watched on, both almost bouncing out of their skin, although for vastly different reasons.

“Technically you both tied, which is only half a victory. I won my match cleanly, against multiple opponents no less, so I’m already ahead of you two. I just thought it would be easiest if you two just paid up your bet now and be done with it. I have the most flattering pink lace number for…”

“Ah ain’t puttin’ on anything from your bag of hell till ah see that title on your head.” Applejack interjected.

“Yeah!” Rainbow chimed in. “You haven’t won yet.”

“It…it wouldn't be that terrible,” Fluttershy mumbled. “You looked cute back in…” Dash’s speed was worthy of her name as she almost blinked out of existence trying to get to Fluttershy fast enough to end the story before it began. Pinkie had already began snickering, and the other’s eyebrows were already beginning to rise. Rainbow’s face began going a very telltale shade of pink, but before she could begin her spluttering defence Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo burst into the group.

“Listen, listen!”

“Twilight and Spike…”

“Evil people…”

“Ambush…”

“HELP!”

“Whoa Nelly, slow down there! What’s happenin’ with Twilight?”


The three girls quickly explained what they had overheard, although many times one of them had to be calmed down so as not to cut off the others, but once the story was out the decision, and following exodus from the stadium, were quickly and unanimously agreed upon. Although only Pinkie and Applejack really knew Twilight, the others were by no means allowing the Diamond Dogs to hurt anyone.

Finding them proved a surprisingly simple task. The confrontation was occurring barely outside the arena, although since everyone was still in the show there was little real reason to do otherwise. The exact situation was just as surprising.

"You know, this really isn't the most efficient way to try and intimidate someone. I mean, you could at least win your matches first, or not be covered in bruises and all that. Being buff isn't all there is to power you know."

"By Celestia make her stop!" Spot squealed. He and Fido were rolling on the ground, clutching at their ears. Rover was managing to maintain his composure, but only just. Garble was seething smoke. "I can't take this again. PLEASE!"

"Sure, these tactics will work on some people, but anyone who understands the true nature and potential of magic would see right through this bravado. Maybe if you added a Transcendent to your little show then you could..."

"Twilight," Spike muttered, tugging on her hair desperately. "I really don't think this is the time to be giving lectures."

"But Spike, can't you see these people need help? We can't just let them continue like this."

"Trixie isn't paying nearly enough for this," Garble muttered to himself. Twilight stopped mid rant, confused.

"Trixie. But why would she...?"

"Eeeenough!" Rover screeched. "I am tired of all this talking!" Lightning quick, he grabbed out at Twilight's throat. Still thinking, Twilight didn't see this until it was too late.

"Twilight!" Spike ran at Rover, but Garble caught before he made two steps. "Let me go you big bully!" Garble chuckled evilly, for the first time since having Fluttershy beat him senseless.

"Why don't you make me, little boy?" Spike glared back at him, before breathing in deeply and belching forth a tongue of green flame. Only a tongue, nothing more. Garble barely even blinked, chuckling again. "Want to try that again?" he taunted. Shaking with rage, Spike breathed in again, and prepared to blast him again.

"HEY DIAMOND DUNCES!" a voice came from behind them. The two leaders turned, only to be met by two flying punches straight into their jaw. In spectacular synchronization they let go of their captives, their legs went straight up and their lights went out. Behind the fists, Rainbow Dash and Applejack wore equally identical grins as the rest of the 'rescue squad' managed to catch up. Fido and Spot, still on the ground, took one look at each other and played dead.

"Rainbow...wasgaspthat really neces...sary?" Fluttershy gasped. "That was..."

"That was amazing!" Scootaloo cut through, running over to her idol. Rainbow Dash tried her best to hide her building ego. This lasted a good five seconds.

"Yeah, that was pretty cool, wasn't it. I just came in there and BAM, knocked him straight out." She gave Rover a nudge with her boot, making him squeak at a far too high pitched level The sudden noise made Rainbow jump back in surprise, only made worse by her instant attempt to cover it up. Pinkie Pike almost burst out laughing at this, while Fluttershy tried to hide her guilty smile. Applejack just rolled her eyes, and Rarity tried to do the same, but like Fluttershy her sudden sprint had exhausted her far more than it should have, and she barely managed to raise her eyelids. Walking over to Twilight, sitting stunned on the ground, Applejack offered the Transcendent her hand.

"Ya right, hon?"

"Uh, yeah," Twilight muttered, then her eyes went wide as she realized who was talking. "Applejack! What are you doing here?!"

"Savin' your sorry keister, a course"

"Looks like you really needed it too," Rainbow added.

"Yes. I hate to imagine what these brutes were planning to do before we got here." Rarity shivered, with Fluttershy nodding behind her.

"We're just glad you're ok now!" Pinkie added, immediately jumping into Twilight's personal space and glomping her. This invasion of personal space disturbed Twilight more than anything that had happened with the Diamond Dogs. As Twilight looked upon all the eager faces around her, a strange feeling stirred again inside of her. It made her feel good, a smile tugging at her lips, and this scared her.

"I have to get back to work." She thought, grasping the idea in order to pull her out of this stupor.

"Oh...thanks guys." Twilight gave a nervous smile, her feet slowly edging her away as she gently pried herself away from Pinkie Pie. "It's nice of you all to be worried and such, but i really have to go so...." With that Twilight dashed off, leaving a bewildered Applejack in her wake. But she didn't make it very far. As she tried to round the corner Spike caught her, pulling her back.

"Twilight, what are you doing?"

"Spike, I really have to get back to..."

"These people just risked their lives, without reservation..."

"I wouldn't call it that much of a..."

"WITHOUT RESERVATION." The glare that accompanied the raised volume placated Twilight just enough for Spike to gain full control of the conversation. "My point is, the least you could do is be nice to them. Friendly even." Twilight looked warily over at the group, all still grinning after her, albeit slightly confused by her outburst.

."You're not going to give up on this, are you?"

"Not a chance!" Slowly, like a naughty child, Twilight wandered back over to the others, never taking her eyes off the ground.

"I suppose I should buy you all lunch, or something, for helping me out." The sound of food instantly attracted everyone's attention, leading to an out pour of suggestions and demands to make Twilight instantly regret her choice of words.

And in the shadows of the alleys, when no one was watching, the Great and Powerful Trixie scampered away.


Celestia and Shining Armor stood over the groaning bodies of the Diamond Dogs, the young captain of the guards silenced in confusion. Celestia didn't appear at all fazed by the stack of bodies left haphazardly in the street.

"I think this is the right way."

Author's Note:

This...took far too long...for far too little.

On a side note, I am completely intending to keep this story going, thanks to everyone who pestered me about it :)

Critique welcome as always.