• Published 20th Apr 2016
  • 742 Views, 58 Comments

A Cultural Exchange - Illiad_Easle



Have you ever wanted to explore strange new cultures? To experience the world beyond the boundaries of your own city? Your country? This is the story of these two ponies, two different cultures coming together in the name of the cultural exchange.

  • ...
3
 58
 742

An Exchange of Parents

Lyre Easel had just recently returned from painting on the balcony, and was thus close to the door when she heard the knock. King had wanted Illiad's visit to be a surprise for her and thus had not told her while ensuring she would be there to meet him if he weren't back when they arrived. She quickly went to and opened the door to see who it could be. She had a light cream coat and light blue eyes, her brown mane was pulled back with silver and blond streaks in it, and her mark was an easel with a paintbrush like the one on the door. She was quite surprised to see her oldest son when she opened the door, "Illiad? Back again so soon? You should have told me you were coming for a visit." She came out of the house to hug him.

"I would have told you if I had known I was coming." They both pulled back from the hug, "Mrs. Blackwater over there, the mother of the one I'm doing that cultural exchange I told you guys about with, decided to bring me here as a surprise."

Lyre stepped back in to the house, holding the door open as she did so, "Well come in you two, I suppose this is what your father meant when he said he had a surprise for me. He should be back here shortly, he just had to run out to the market to buy some more food, which makes a bit more sense now."

Vylia put on her most charming demeanor.

"Oh, Mr. Easle! You didn't inform me that we would be meeting your sister!" Her melodic giggle made its appearance. "Vylia Blackwater, my dear - an absolute and distinct pleasure to meet you."

Vylia gave a low and respectful bow, as any proper upper-class matron would.

"My Daxter has been absolutely taken with Illiad, here! It does me such good to see my son making friends, I simply HAD to meet you, dearie."

She was unfathomable; not a whit of emotion was detectable in her - she was effectively emotionally invisible... perhaps further proof that she knew of Illiad's abilities - and proof that she most certainly knew how to deal with such, as well.

Lyre looked slightly uneasy and Illiad visibly shuddered as Mrs. Blackwater suddenly stopped giving off emotional energy. It was uncanny when someone did that, not to mention emotionally unhealthy to do over time.

Lyre shook off her discomfort and her motherly demeanor returned. "I appreciate the compliment but to be fair, you didn't tell him he was coming here now did you? Lyre Easel by the way, Illiad's mother. I am glad to hear you appreciate my son's efforts, he spoke highly of your son last time he visited, well written he told me. Anyway, if I had known you were coming I would have made better arrangements, but do come in." Lyre and Illiad entered the house, beckoning Mrs. Blackwater to follow.

The entryway had places to hang coats, hats, and scarves before opening into a hallway. To the right was a small living room with comfortable looking couches, the walls adorned with simplistic paintings of the surrounding area, forming a sort of panoramic from the perspective of above the house. Stairs to the second floor as well as an entrance to the kitchen were visible further down the hall.

Lyre led the group into the living room where they took their seats. "King should be home any minute now, do make yourselves comfortable."

"Thank you so kindly, dearie - might I say this is a fine home; I noticed the difference from the outside, by the way... new construction, or simply different materials? It truly does stand out; of course, after meeting Illiad, it fails to surprise me!"

She stepped carefully when she walked, her movements fluid and smooth as she made her way into the room.

"Now I'm CERTAIN I'm in good company! You and I should get together sometime, Ms. Easle - or would you simply prefer Lyre? - I don't wish to be rude."

As she spoke, her emotions were simply nonexistent; it was as if there was no one there, even though this bright and vivacious mare was right here in front of them. She scanned the room politely, not a hint or touch of judgement on her muzzle - in fact, she seemed mildly impressed at the tasteful yet humble surroundings.

Lyre could not shake her disease at the emotionless mare in front of her, it certainly led quite a bit of credence to what she had heard. Despite their occasional acts of charity this Blackwater was as cold hearted as their mountain. Illiad too found it very disconcerting that Mrs. Blackwater gave off no emotional energy. Why would she stop when we arrived though and not earlier? Something isn't right about this situation.

Neither of them gave any outside indication that anything was wrong, their facial control thoroughly divorced from their actual feelings. "I'd prefer Mrs. Easel at this point if you don't mind Mrs. Blackwater. As for the exterior, king is just really good about keeping it in excellent condition, it is otherwise the same as any other house on this block."

There was the sound of the front door opening and a tall teal pegasus stepped into view, his dark brown mane was silvering in places to match the rectangular rims of his glasses, his mark an artist's compass and a ruler like on the door. "Ah, Mrs. Blackwater. I didn't expect you here so soon. I trust I haven't been keeping you guys long?"

King Truss was a well known architect and part time forepony on construction sites. He always treated his workers well, giving them what they needed to work at their best, sure he was taken advantage of in the beginning, but he gained respect quickly to the point where those that knew him saw him as a friend. His crew would reliably finish under budget and ahead of schedule without fail. He also did not approve of those that did not treat their workers as well as he did, and if the stories of the Blackwaters were to be believed then they too had gained his ire. However, they were powerful, and thus he would be cordial towards them.

"Oh, most certainly not; we've only just arrived. Wonderful to see you again, Mr. Truss - I do believe we've rather surprised your son."

She smiled at him kindly, then looked back and forth between mother and son, seemingly pondering something amusing. She let loose a giggle.

"The three of you are just adorable; happy little family in a happy little home. Well! I suppose perhaps I shall just have to literally hold my tongue if I should ever wish to hear you speak - my apologies, I DO go on... please."

She swept her hoof in a gesture to them to continue... whatever it was she thought they were doing. There was no telling.

The gathered family found the whole situation quite odd, they were all wary of Mrs. Blackwater's possible motives and only Illiad entertained positive ones, Maybe she just wants to see how I treat my family? Maybe she's trying to find a way to get me to design something for that rock pit? Maybe she's discovered my secret and plans to blackmail me for it? Lyre was always worried that someone had discovered her secret but so far it had remained undetected.

The family exchanged glances, unsure how to proceed, Illiad was the first to speak up, "Well, I didn't expect to see you guys again so soon, so there isn't much new in my life. The political journey is still going steady, very easy on my end though I have impossibly gained even more respect for how hard Midget works to push forward in this race, our victory will be almost assured when Luna endorses us so I'm not too worried about that, just the actual government obligations afterwards. Mostly it's been this cultural exchange in my life, a great appeal to the voters that I'm reaching out to other nations in an effort to understand them even if they don't try too hard to understand us, outside of you guys of course." Illiad found it possible that Mrs. Blackwater would have no idea what he was talking about, which would give him the perfect opportunity to talk about Trojan culture again.

King took a seat next to Lyre, wrapping a forehoof around her as he gave her an affectionate nuzzle. "That's good to hear, I'm sure you'll do fine when you win, we always knew you were destined for great things in life."

Vylia paid polite attention, a soft, pleasant little grin on her features as she listened and gave her attention to the proceedings.

At the mention of a 'race' and what sounded to be politics, Vylia raised an eyebrow... and incidentally, a tiny blip of interest that catches her only a little off-guard; she was back to not emoting quick enough - but any Empathic would have felt it.

Perhaps she did want to ask about it, but found it rude of herself to ask after just now staying quiet enough for them to speak.

Lyre gave a quiet sigh of relief at the small blip of emotion Mrs. Blackwater gave off. At least she's not a psychopath, still that she's holding all that in is still unsettling and not good for her emotional well being.

Illiad was tempted to say something about Mrs. Blackwater's emotional state but decided to hold off for now, it wasn't really his business.

Truss was the next to speak up. "I've managed to acquire a few more contracts since last we met. The changeling attack, though devastating, has given me many opportunities to aid in the rebuilding of Canterlot with much better designs and materials. Next time it will take much more effort to do the same amount of damage. The buildings will crush them instead of the other way around."

Lyre was a bit more comfortable now that the Blackwater had demonstrated some actual feelings, "I've managed to get a few jobs as a substitute art teacher in a few of the local schools, it feels good to be teaching art again, though I don't miss the stress of being a full time teacher. The politics there is just as bad as I remember it to be."

They all hoped that the Blackwater would do something to involve herself, it was quickly growing awkward to have her sit their silently and emotionally zeroed.

Vylia looked at them and sort of... blinked, as if she were a bit surprised. The smile slowly returned, except this time, Illiad could see the corners creep up into what was, Luna help him, Dax Blackwater's sheepish smile.

"I... am sorry, but I simply can't help myself; what exactly is this 'race' that you're talking about? A thousand pardons for interrupting, please... but, I fell a bit awkward simply sitting here, observing like this. I'm simply DYING to ask about what you're speaking of; may I?"

The collective family gave a mental sigh of relief as Illiad turned to face the actually responsive Blackwater. "The race? Oh, in Troy the government is run by a council of elected officials from each city in the empire, and the council is led by a Consul elected by popular vote of all the cities. Midget Hooves, a good friend of mine, is running against the current Consul Iron Hoof to be the Consul of Troy. I am in the running as his adviser or Vice-Consul. If anything were to happen to Midget before the end of his term I would step in as Consul. Generally there is an election for Consul every two years, a fairly quick turnover rate, though most consuls will last two to four terms before another gets elected, Iron is running for his fourth term now, but I think we have a good chance of winning with our inclusion-ism policies while Iron is continuing with his strong border policies."

Vylia listened politely, yet now there was a stirring of emotion - the Blackwater matron was thinking, though deep enough to keep from betraying any emotion on the matter. Illiad had no idea what was on her somewhat devious mind, but chances were good that it had something to do with politics... which may or may not be a good sign.

All the same, her charming grin became a bit more devious (and less like an act) as the Trojan spoke.

"Fascinating; I do say you've just jumped up a number of places on my personal interest chart, Mr. Easle - it sounds as if you're certainly a great deal more complex than Daxter led me to believe. Mayhaps I should ask more later, hmmmm?"

She shrugged dismissively; she'd address it later, Illiad could be fairly certain - but for now, it was Social Time. She cast her gaze onto Illiad's parents.

"So, please - I've been simply DYING to ask what little Illiad was like as a colt; personally, I think that there are possibly a few things between he and my Daxter that must be similar; they certainly DO get along well enough! Regale me, if it wouldn't be too much to ask, about the tender years you went through with your son - what was he like? I'm curious..."

Illiad had been around long enough to notice she had compared Illiad to Dax - normally it would just be a statement, but from a mare like Vylia Blackwater, it was actually high praise; as high of an opinion as she had of her family, comparing ANYPONY to them would be saying volumes for her thoughts on the subject.

Illiad's parents may have found Vylia to be a somewhat unnerving and unwelcome guest, but Illiad himself was beginning to gather evidence that the Blackwater matron might actually be doing her absolute best to be cordial and friendly... yet after years of intrigue and her family's general status as social pariahs, she simply may not have known HOW.

It was growing quite clear to Illiad that the Blackwaters seemed to only form relationships on utility, and were thus wholly unused to the possibility of friendship beyond what they could do for them. Illiad was not impressed that it was his political standing that made her feel more highly of him and not something about him that actually mattered.

Mrs. Blackwater wasn’t doing herself many favors in the eyes of his parents either, it was becoming quite clear to them that this Blackwater was not one to make social visits but rather was ever on the lookout for things that could benefit her. They began to plot as to how they could end this visit as quickly as they could.

Illiad decided he would speak up on the matter, looking slightly disappointed. "I'm sorry you find my political standing to be one of the more interesting things about me, I must seem very dull to you if that is the case."

Lyre decided she would still be civil despite not wanting to continue much further, "When he was younger he was quite wrapped up in his studies, spending most of his time either at school or at the archives, honestly we're surprised his mark wasn't more closely related to those things, though we are glad he had a talent similar to our own. He never had a whole lot of friends, but the few friends he did have were close, it was when he started to branch out a bit that the attack happened, his true friends have stayed with him, but many of the friends outside his closest circle abandoned and vilified him. I'm glad to hear that he's branching out again and I hope it doesn't lead to another social crash, especially with the election so close."

"The attack... yes, I'd gotten word about that. An absolute shame that ponies put so much rotten intent toward things they don't understand, isn't it?"

Did Vylia just make a reference to Illiad's attack... or herself? With the flat emotional register, there was no way to tell.

"Still, a true show of character is the difference between one who folds into themselves after suffering like that, and one who continues on in spite of such things... and character is key, of course."

The souring mood in the room was not lost on Vylia Blackwater; a look of carefully constructed disinterest began to settle onto her features, and it seemed as if she were mentally 'unplugging' from the situation.

"But I suppose I've taken up a fair bit of your time today - and I also suppose your family wishes to spend their own time with you, of course. Far be it for me to keep a family separate; Mr. Easle? You are more than welcome to visit as long as you like with them... I believe I have a few things to see to myself, at any rate. Either come outside when you're ready, or signal to the driver for me to leave; I can send him back for you later, if you desire more palatable company."

She headed for the door, stopping just as she crossed the threshold.

"For what it's worth, you DO seem to have quite a nice little family, here. Ta, dearies..."

And out she went, headed for the taxicab and climbing into the front bench seat.

Strangely enough, within moments there was a general feeling of surprise, then sadness, then blatant anger from outside, one after the other... and they seemed to be coming from the cab driver, who was now staring back at the house with a rather cross look on his muzzle. Vylia, from her position in the cab, couldn't be seen.

Illiad ran his tongue across his teeth as he was want to do when frustrated and confused. The family collectively sighed from how awkward her parting comments were. "I should go after her, see what that was all about." He looked back towards Lyre, "This is the first time she was so emotionally nulled, I can understand how uncomfortable that must have been for you and I'm sorry."

Lyre waved him off, "It's not your fault, she surprised you as much as she did me. But yes, go see if you can't figure out what was going on with her."

Illiad moved to the door, flashing the toga off of himself and neatly rolling it with his diamond as a pole. "I'll see you guys in a few months, though expect a few letters before then, Bye!" He left the house and proceeded to the carriage. Ignoring for the moment the cross expression of the taxi driver. Rather than immediately address Mrs. Blackwater he chose to look at her with a confused yet intrigued expression. There were quite a few questions he had to ask her at some point, but he wanted to see if she would offer some sort of explanation first.

She sat rather stiffly in the front bench seat, and made a point to turn her head away when Illiad got close.

"Well, are we already leaving so soon? Well, I suppose I can't say I didn't expect it - part of being a Blackwater, after all. Well, if you're done here, then so am I - I am MORE than ready to leave, if it's all the same to you."

She shifted in her seat a bit.

"... after all, I have appointments and a schedule to keep - it wouldn't do to waste any more of my time here, I see that now. If you're coming, then get in the cab - I'll be fine sitting up here for a bit by myself, thank you very much. If you're done with me, that's fine too - I can send a cab for you later, and give you and your parents plenty of time together, without me here to muddle things up, as it were."

NOW there was an emotion slowly surfacing from the Blackwater matron...

Sorrow.

"Well? Will you bother yourself with my presence some more, or have you had enough?"

The irritation in her words didn't quite match the hurt in her voice.

Illiad sighed as he climbed up into the carriage, this was a very delicate situation though it was clear to him that Mrs. Blackwater recognized that something wasn't right about the situation. "I'm going to be honest with you okay? And if you don't like what I have to say then I'll leave you alone. What you did in there, the full emotional withdrawal? It is a very uncomfortable thing for me to experience. Very few give off no emotional energy, the vast majority of them psychopaths or other potentially undesireable individuals and that utter lack of emotion was how you presented yourself. My family is built on emotional connection, so to have someone try to wholly remove themselves from their emotions is jarring to us."

He sighed, setting the rolled cloth next to him. "You may never understand what it's like to be like me, and I'm sure you had your reasons to withdraw yourself, but doing so made you seem like an outsider, makes you seem like someone who doesn't care about others. I'm sure that wasn't your intention, its just that my parents are very caring people, for someone to seem the opposite just doesn't feel right to them."

He was careful as he started to draw some of the sorrow away. "I'm sorry if I seem to be rambling, or if I or my family came off as judgmental towards you, it was not our intention. Can you forgive me?"

He hoped that the honesty in explaining their feelings on the matter as well as the apology for any misunderstandings would be enough, he didn't want her sorrow to turn to anger as she could make life very hard for his parents if she so desired.

Vylia's mood seemed to reveal itself little by little as she spoke, like someone unpacking a very thoroughly packed suitcase. First, there was hurt...

"Oh, were they being judgmental? I'd have never noticed, dearie - they seemed as if they were so VERY inviting to me; how could you say something like that? After all, I invited YOU to t-... luncheon with Oglevy and I, didn't I? But of course, after Daxter had told me about how your family actually lived there, it would be normally proper to return the favor... but I chose not to judge you in that manner, Mr. Easle."

... anger...

"I mean, after all - I'm a Blackwater! That instantly gives credence to the idea that I am a sleazy, low-lifed individual who is always out for her own benefit, isn't that correct? I am COMPLETELY aware of what is said about myself and my husband and children; after spending time in our company, I'm SURE you can see that all the rumours about us are completely and totally confirmed, aren't they?"

... shame...

"I mean, there's HARDLY a reason for me to actually make a pass at trying to be cordial when there's no point in it whatsoever - simply a waste of my time, that's all. Nothing to cry over, I assure you... this is simply... a reaction to some of the flora around here, perhaps - I'll have to avoid this area in the future; good news for your family, no doubt."

... loneliness...

"I should stop fooling myself, anyhow - from what I had seen of the friendship between yourself and my Daxter, I had thought that perhaps... well, it may sound silly, but I thought I should try my hoof at it... and what better chance than the family of somepony who actually HAD become a friend of a Blackwater, hmmm? Mayhaps I meant to... well... no. Never mind; it was a passing fancy, nothing more. Not a mistake I wish to make YET again."

... and more pain.

"Besides, who was I trying to kid? Myself?" The melodious laugh came again, but this time it had a sarcastic and almost mean sound to it. "I simply should have known better, is all. Well, lesson learned."

She gave a sharp sigh.

"I suppose I don't mind YOUR company so much, Mr. Easle; YOU are forgiven, though for what, I'm still not certain."

She sat there, forehooves crossed, looking out the window.

The cabbie had been glaring at Illiad, but after the unicorn apologized, his mood lightened up. Now he was dutifully staying out of the conversation; Illiad could feel the earth pony's unease at having heard what he had heard.

"Driver? The next stop, please."

Without a word, the cabbie began moving, and they went along their way, Illiad's home behind them looking kind and inviting... yet perhaps not so for everypony, after all.

Illiad grimaced ever so slightly, this mare was a mess to be honest, but hopefully a mess he could help. He sighed as he thought of how to best phrase what he would say next.

"I'm going to be honest again. Whether you intended to or not, by withholding your emotions you made it seem as though you couldn't care less about how they felt. If you are going to make friends, to shake off the Blackwater stigma, you're going to have to care about others, to show that you care. I know how hard it can be to put yourself in a situation where you are vulnerable, but that's how you make connections with others."

Illiad sighed as he looked about the carriage awkwardly. "It's funny actually, Daxter talked to me about pretty much the same thing, asking whether he'd ever be more than just another Blackwater. I told him he could change the opinion with effort, he could rise above and show the world that he wasn't like the rest. I think you can do it too, be more than just a Blackwater, show the world that you are better than the old ones, care about creatures and show them that they're wrong for thinking you just another Blackwater. It will certainly be difficult, but I believe in you. If you open yourself up a bit, then others will see the caring pony I have seen, and they will believe in you too."

Illiad looked back towards his house as it shrank into the distance, "If you don't mind me asking, why did you withdraw yourself emotionally?"

It was quiet for a moment or two, only the general sounds of the city around them and the clippety-clop of the cabbie's hooves. After unpacking her 'emotional baggage', she was emoting again... and it felt a lot like Dax's 'Pink-Slip' mood.

"Two reasons."

She spoke out of the blue, answering his question.

"First and foremost, I had gained information on Empathics and what was known about their abilities; I had assumed that showing any... eagerness on my part would make things worse. So, I merely went into my 'socialite' state of mind - I had thought to open up as conversation progressed. Your speaking of the political race caught my interest, so I made a remark upon it - merely making conversation, mind you - and I could almost feel the distaste coming from them. I feel it from everypony, Mr. Easle; and this experience has shown me that even those who have nothing to do with society instantly think the worst of me."

"Don't think I didn't catch your mother's back-hoofed turn-of-phrase, either. I hope it doesn't lead to another SOCIAL CRASH... no, nothing to worry about there; after today, I won't sully you with my presence again. I'll simply step aside and allow you and Daxter to have a friendship... he does need it. I, however, apparently should have no need to socialize - after all, I have my husband and my darling children."

She sniffled softly, once.

"Same as it ever was."

Then, her mood took an odd, sympathetic turn for a moment.

"The second reason was to see who would react to my lack of an emotional state the most - and your Mother won, hooves down. SHE'S the one you got it from, hmm? Well, no worries - I've no want to cause any more trouble for you OR her in that sense; her secret is safe with me, I assure you... of course, that WOULD mean having to trust me, wouldn't it?"

She finally turned to look at Illiad, and it was obvious she had been crying; her eyes were puffy, and the kerchief in her other hoof was noticeably moist. She looked somewhere between frustrated and depressed, and her mood confirmed both.

"So you don't like me, I can deal with that... but you WILL have to trust me, won't you?"

"I must say I am quite impressed by your deductions, you are the first to have ever found out her secret on their own. On the other hoof, for as perceptive as you are you saw the whole thing from a filtered point of view. My mom is not subtle with her words, if she didn't like you she'd tell you, you just made her very uncomfortable with the lack of emotion. You assumed they wouldn't like you so that's how you interpreted what you saw, we were actually really hoping you would enter the conversation, but when you did we were disappointed that you engaged us with only your words and not your emotions, making your words empty and making it seem like you didn't really care about what you were talking about. Even now I can tell you for certain that they simply find you odd and the situation awkward, but they don't think ill of you, if you opened up to them they'd probably come to respect you in the same way I do, they may even be happy to call you their friend one day if you're willing to feel around them."

He felt inclined to give a physical gesture of comfort but decided against it as it would likely not be appropriate. "I respect you Mrs. Blackwater, you are a good pony and you care deeply about your family. I trust you wholeheartedly at this point. Think about what I've said, you don't have to be just another Blackwater."

She was quiet for a long time.

Author's Note:

And so we meet Illiad's parents for the first time.

I based them, of course, off of my own parents, though I had to make a few alterations given the available technology in Equestria. Thus King Truss the civil engineer and Lyre Easel the painter/art teacher came to be.

Some of you may have noticed that Lyre and Illiad's last names are spelled differently, well there's a good reason for that, but No Spoilers

The discussion with Mrs. Blackwater after they left actually surprised me, though we'll be getting more into it in the next chapter, which I have yet to give a cool name.

As always, remember to ask your own questions!