• Published 20th Apr 2016
  • 743 Views, 58 Comments

A Cultural Exchange - Illiad_Easle



Have you ever wanted to explore strange new cultures? To experience the world beyond the boundaries of your own city? Your country? This is the story of these two ponies, two different cultures coming together in the name of the cultural exchange.

  • ...
3
 58
 743

An Exchange of Medicine

Meanwhile...

Illiad's gem morphed around his unconscious body, wrapping in a sort of ring around his horn and extending in threads along his body, tracing the magical conduits throughout. Faint pulses of light traveled through the threads at regular intervals. Over time, the cloud diamond on Illiad extended further, beginning to lightly trace his veins in addition to the magical pathways in his body. The thin rivulets of diamond growing slightly brighter as his condition improved.

The zebra was spellbound.

She was standing next to the table Illiad was on, staring at the unicorn intently, watching every little change take place. Her eyes kept slowly following each rivulet of Diamond as she saw what was happening on the surface. She was completely transfixed on the sight; so much so that her mouth was slightly open and her eyes as big as saucers.

"Uhhhh, Doc? What's going on with him?"

Her eyes remained locked on Illiad, but she shrugged. "I have no idea... but it's quite a show!"

The miner looked at the others that had helped carry the two into the Doc's Office and passed the shrug along. They looked at each other, some even shrugging themselves.

"He gonna be okay?"

"What about Slapper - he gonna get like that too?"

"What IS that stuff?"

With that question, the zebra looked up suddenly, and then turned back to the miners. "Okay, everypony out! These two will need some peace and quiet, and I think it would be a good idea to give them some, don't you? Thank you so much for helping out - I really appreciate it!"

As they ushered outside, she turned back to glance over at the sleeping forepony, smile as he snored softly, then returned her watchful gaze to Illiad's form.

"I wish I had brought some popcorn to eat - but this sight alone is a heckuva treat!" She giggled at her own rhyme, and leaned in closer, watching intently...

Some time passed.

The zebra laid another rock on the edge of the scroll, holding it open for the ink to dry as she grabbed and opened another one. She zipped back to her quill and went back to writing a mile a minute, taking intricate notes on what was happening to the Trojan as the Diamond ran across him. The inkwell in front of her was already down to half; good thing she kept several.

The table next to her had several scrolls like the last, all held open by rocks of varying kinds and drying. As she finished her notes on the current scroll, she went through the process again. The entire time, she may have blinked once or twice, but otherwise her gaze was locked on Illiad Easle and the amazing thing happening to him.

There began to be a stirring within llliad, his breathing became more relaxed as his condition shifted from comatose to simply sleeping. He would need time to recoup his magical strength and a long rest to fully recover from the ordeal. With the healing well on its way the diamond reformed next to him, unconsciously he grasped it with his forehoof, drawing it towards himself as he slept.

The zebra couldn't tell why but she couldn't shake the feeling that the diamond was silently judging her.

She leaned in closer and closer, trying to make sense of what she was seeing... and then that 'judging' feeling came over her. She laid down the quill and scroll on a nearby cot and stood up, looking down at Illiad with curiosity and a little bit of wonder; she seemed almost like a big filly in a zebra's body.

No, not a zebra... not a FULL one. The peppermint-colored pony was actually half-zebra, yet she retained a good deal of physical traits from the zebra side of her line. The other side wasn't just average fare, either - the Doctor had wings, which were currently tucked neatly back as she kept her eyes glued to the fascinating things happening on her patient's physique.

She looked fit and long; she was taller than the miners that had brought the two into the clinic, and had almost been at eye level when she had been seated. She hunkered down low enough to almost touch, yet far enough to zip out of reach if need be. The light dancing in her eyes spoke of worlds of knowledge beyond her looks, but there was an authentic interest in what was happening; like a foal tasting Zap Apple Jam for the first time. The Doctor was a kind mare, and absolutely loved to learn - and this was definitely something new!

"Hello? Can you heeeeear meeeeee?" she whispered softly to the Diamond substance, more than halfway expecting an answer...

Upon closer inspection she could see the completed diamond in more detail. It was shaped in a way that it would appear circular from the top, and from the side it would look like a playing card diamond that had been truncated a little bit above the middle. In the middle of the gem she could see a faint blue light glowing within it.

The feeling of judging from the diamond shifted to a bit of surprise (In that the zebra somehow felt that the diamond was surprised) as if that wasn't enough of an answer to her question, the diamond shifted weakly in a motion similar to nodding.

The diamond considered simply speaking, but that would be quite the exertion of energy and it was low enough on energy already with Illiad unconscious. She hoped her slight movements would be enough to communicate with the curious one.

The medic went wide-eyed as she saw/felt its response, then she sat bolt upright and clapped her hooves together with a squee of delight.

"You CAN hear me, can't you? Wooooooooowwwwwww!!!"

Initially diving for the quill and scroll, she paused as she considered if she wanted to be writing during this... or experiencing it up-close and personal. After only a moment's thought, she decided the quill could wait and turned back to Illiad and the sentient Diamond.

"Oooh! I wonder how I'm supposed to greet a Diamond? I can't hug you, and you have no hoof to shake; maybe I should just introduce myself? Yeah, that sounds good!" She cleared her throat. "Hello, uhm... uhh... Diamond! I am pleased to meet you! My name is Doc Zinger, but most ponies just call me 'Ziggy' - it's easier to remember, which is good because I have problems doing that sometimes. It's okay, though - I could NEVER forget my medical training!"

She smiled brightly and broadly, a living glimmer of radiant sunshine.

"I work here at the quarry, tending to the workers that get hurt; it tends to be pretty safe here, but accidents will happen, right? So I was hired here to take care of anypony who got injured. Haven't lost a patient yet!"

Her look of grinning satisfaction melted away to one of curiosity as she leaned low once more, watching the Diamond closely.

"I guess, with what you're doing there, that you're kind of a doctor too, huh?"

The diamond picked up on Zinger's exuberance, it wished that Illiad were awake so she could communicate more effectively, but he really needed to rest and intruding on his dreams would not help that point. She wished she could collect energy like Illiad could, then she could use Zinger's enthusiasm to communicate. Alas, she would simply have to wait to have a more in depth conversation. Currently she was limited by her low energy to simple movements, healing Illiad had taken more out of her than she had anticipated.

The diamond shifted in a mix of nodding and shaking in an attempt to indicate a maybe and to convey the limits of its communicative abilities.

"You... want to... dance?"

She stood up and started a peppy little four-step jig, a smile spreading across her features. Her wings extended, and began swaying like palm fronds as she kept doing her tippity-tapping moves. The look on her face was somewhere between enjoying the moment and wondering if she was wrong.

It was that single, picturesque moment that Dax Blackwater shouldered the door open and stopped in his tracks just inside the threshold.

He was wearing a bright purple suit coat with a lemon yellow border; it was hideously colored, but still very well-made and tailored. On his head was an adorable little straw hat that had a regrettably matching hatband. The entire outfit made him look like a 'Little Lord Fauntlecolt' character - very upper-crust and dainty. This, combined with Dax's panting like a timberwolf after a long chase, made him look as ridiculous as Ziggy did.

They both froze in place, staring at each other in utter silence... aside from Dax's gasping for air, of course.

It was to that very scene that Illiad was awoken from his slumber by the door's abrupt opening. His face was one of shock and confusion, the kind one might find on one who can't quite tell whether they are actually awake. After a few moments of silence as he really drank the scene in, "I sincerely hope I can attribute at least some of what I'm seeing to magic depletion hallucinations."

His words were a bit slower and slightly slurred, it was clear that Illiad was still quite exhausted. His horn glowed weakly as he looked towards his diamond, he sighed as his horn stopped glowing. "That is certainly an interesting sensation, I hope that doesn't last."

He laid his head down on his foreleg in a way that he could still see the others whilst still laying down. He manually brought his gem closer to his face as he did so. "So, what did I miss?"

Both of them turned to look at Illiad.

They both tried to start talking at once, then both stopped, then tried again, then stopped... finally, Dax looked at Ziggy and nodded, and she turned to the unicorn to speak, at last able to get her words out.

"Are you okay? Do you feel pain? Is that crystal alive, or am I insane? That stuff that's on you is why you're awake - the healing you're feeling is NOT a fake! The whole... uhm..."

Ziggy giggled a bit, then grinned at Illiad. "Sorry; when I get worried or anxious, I rhyme. It's a habit. How do you feel?"

The look on Dax's muzzle was asking the same question, silently.

Illiad gave a slight yawn, amused by the situation before him. "Well... I'm tired, like really tired. I kind of feel sore, though not in any particular area. My magical abilities are reduced, though I expected as much."

He yawned again before continuing.

"This diamond? It's certainly intelligent and possesses healing properties, but that is unique to this one alone."

He peered around the room in search of a clock. "I suppose it must not have been very long since we left the caves if you are so impressed with my recovery, though I expect it will take longer for Knee to recover unassisted."

Illiad almost yawned again before looking over at his diamond with a look of surprise, before looking towards the Zebra. He shrugged a bit before laying his head back down on his legs. "Selena wanted me to let you know that she finds you interesting by the way, that's the diamond's name."

He turned to look over at Dax. "It's good to see you again, next time? Don't move things around in the caves."

Zinger smiled, "I'm glad to see you're awake; you looked fairly out of it, but I didn't actually find any medical maladies that'll require surgery or anything... just a decent rest, maybe a day in bed? That, and an old herbal remedy from my younger days, should put you right as rain."

She shuffled over to a small cabinet and fished out a pouch of some thickly blueberry-smelling stuff. "It's a tea; you brew and drink it twice a day until it runs out. Hope you like tea..."

Dax winced with an embarrassed grin on his muzzle as she put the pouch into his hooves. There was a decent amount of what appeared to be very light brown ground-up tea leaves, mixed with bits of twig and dried blueberry; it smelled pleasant - Illiad might not have been a fan of tea, but perhaps this would make good potpourri?

Dax looked down at the floor. "I... didn't know, but I still shouldn't have. I had NO idea what could have happened... but I gather it was BAD. I-..." He glanced at Ziggy, then nodded to her and returned his focus to the unicorn. "Yeah, no more messing around in off-limits areas - regardless of what I find. I'm sorry I caused all this mess... but at least it's dealt with permanently now, right?"

Off to the side and writing a report, Ziggy was grinning to herself and occasionally mouthing the word 'Selena' in amusement.

The smell and sight of the tea sent an involuntary shudder through Illiad's body, the soreness concentrated briefly on certain parts of his back. "I appreciate the offer Miss..." Illiad cocked his head in a bit of confusion, "I don't believe you told me your name, but Selena says it is Zinger correct? Anyway, I am not too fond of tea after a particularly traumatic experience a few years back. I am sure it tastes as wonderful as it smells and Knee will no doubt appreciate it. I have a more direct way of restoring energy, so long as I can stay awake I can take advantage of the excess emotion you two are giving off, something I sense Knee is doing automatically. Your enthusiasm will no doubt speed both of our recoveries along."

He set the tea bag aside, hoping he caused no offence to the doctor. He turned back towards Dax. "It is dealt with as permanently as it possibly can from what I saw, but I think it best that no one goes there again, despite what else lays there."

Illiad yawned again.

"No doubt I will need to sleep again, but if you two can get enthused about something I may not need more than a good night's rest. You may even get Knee to recover faster too."

"OH! Yeeeeeaaaah... sorry; my mind gets away from me sometimes. My name is Doc Zinger, but most ponies here at the quarry just call me Ziggy - in fact, most ponies kind of call me Ziggy, regardless of whether I'm at the quarry or not. Hmph."

She shrugged, then seemed to start spacing out again before she caught herself and smiled broadly at Illiad.

"The tea is mostly a suggestion; it won't hurt you NOT to take it, so it's okay - and you may have a point about Slapper using it instead. I just... Selena the diamond is amazing in the scope and concept of what this could mean for Equestria as a whole - except I get the feeling that this is a phenomenon that I'm going to be asked to keep a secret. I have to keep it a secret, don't I?"

She gave a mournful glance over her shoulder at the scrolls still drying on the table, and sighed.

Dax, in the meantime, had gotten a thinker's muzzle. "Enthusiastic... well, I could always tell Ziggy about Troy - y'know, I'll be going there to visit soon?"

Ziggy listened intently as the young Blackwater began regaling her with all he'd learned about Illiad's homeland, proving further that he was a diligent and well-educated pony; the more he spoke, the more that it seemed both of them got excited for Dax's upcoming trip. The eagerness and excitement was coming off of them both at a decent clip - the Doc was apparently just as excitable as the Earth Pony was!

At this rate, a recharge wouldn't take much time at all...

Illiad's horn glowed slightly as he began to drain the excess enthusiasm, it would mean that their enthusiasm would be a bit less contagious, but the three of them were already individually enthused about the subject material. Illiad's yawns grew further apart and his words seemed less tired as time passed.

"Before you guys get too carried away, Yes, I'm afraid Princess Luna wants to keep Selena a secret for now. However, I'm sure she would love to read your observations on Selena's behavior."

That said Illiad returned to listening to Dax describing Troy, he was looking for an opportunity where he could join in the discussion, maybe answer a question or clarify a point. But he was content to wait for the opportunity.

Dax went on for quite some time, allowing room for Illiad to add facts and Ziggy to make curiosity comments. The three remained together chatting for a good bit, while Knee continued snoring in his corner cot. Eventually, of course, it got late - especially evidenced when the quarry work whistle blew it's long, shrill note that signified the end of the workday.

Ziggy jumped when it blew, but Dax only grinned and stretched; he had long ago taken off the purple outfit, and it was folded neatly on a nearby table. Illiad noticed that, unlike the other workers, Ziggy seemed to have a sturdy friendship with him; what was the difference?

Regardless, Dax looked over at the Trojan and grinned. "So, feel up to going out to the tent... or should we wait on that one?"

"Either way, I have to lock up the shed here; Mr. Easle, if you want to stay in here overnight, then we can do that - but I'd have to lock both of us in. It's against quarry policy to leave a patient here all alone. It's okay if you want to stay, because I usually sleep here anyway!"

Dax turned to her. "I think he'll be okay. C'mon, Illiad - let's head back to the manor; Mother is probably having a fit wondering where her clotheshorse has gotten to." He gathered the outfit from the table and waited for Illiad's response.

"We should wait on the tent, we still have five more days after all. I think I can make it back to the manor now, but I don't think I'll wake up early tomorrow."

Illiad got himself up and off of the cot he was on with only a little difficulty, though it was clear by the wobble of his legs that walking would not be so easy at first. "I suppose I'll get the hang of walking again in no time."

He took a few wobbly steps around the room, his pace quickly becoming more regular. "Yes I think that'll do."

He turned to face Ziggy as he placed his diamond back in his robes. "Thank you for taking care of me, don't forget about Knee, he certainly needs your help now more than I do." He turned back towards Dax as he began to make his way to the door. "Well? Let's get going."

Ziggy waved as she saw them out, then closed the door and locked it, with herself and Knee Slapper safely ensconced within. Dax walked back with Illiad, sticking by his side in case the weakness hit again. The Trojan could feel the little ripples of concern coming from the young stallion.

"Look, I'm sorry I didn't get back very quickly - Mother insisted I try on some outfits, so I didn't have much choice. I'm guessing it wasn't a pretty sight, was it? Again, I'm really sorry, and now that I know things aren't safe there, I'll stay away from it. I'm sure Father will probably blast that particular cavern closed in a few days, anyway."

Dax walked with Illiad to his room and sighed. "I'll try to get to my chores early, but I'll take my time so you can sleep in. I'm... I'm glad you're okay. I dunno what happened... but I'm still glad you're okay." He hugged the unicorn before heading off towards his own bedroom.

Illiad stood in the doorway to his room, contemplating the day he had had and more recently Dax's actions. He was quite honestly touched by Dax's show of compassion, a true feeling of genuine concern, something that was far too absent in the world. A slight smile came to his face as he entered his room and closed the door, I suppose he is a true friend, and I am glad for it. I only hope he considers me a friend as well.

Illiad moved to the tub cover he had used as a bed the previous night, he didn't form the fan as he did the night before as he needed Selena in one piece. Once he was comfortable he quickly fell asleep.

He found himself in the plain white room that often manifested when Selena entered his dreams. He called forth a comfortable couch to rest in as he waited for Selena to fully emerge. She did so in similar form to the one she had taken in the mines, a mare of smallish proportions (Like Cocoa Pommel) "You shouldn't strain yourself so hard for me, we both know a full body wasn't really necessary."

"I know, but there was the quantity available and the power to sustain it for a bit, I proved it was possible. Now if we can find a good power source we can finally give you a permanent body of your own."

"I appreciate the gesture, I did enjoy the feeling of experiencing the world more directly. It looks like you are influencing me more than Mother supposed, the rate is slowing but if it continues much longer I will be as much you as I am her."

"Well, you were only half of her to begin with, the other half needed to be filled in by something. When we get back to Troy, I think you should introduce yourself to Dax more directly. I want to see what sort of reaction he would have to you."

A slight smile came to her face. "If only you had slept at the hospital, I could have had a better conversation with Ziggy."

"If only..." With that the room dissolved as Selena exited the dream, Illiad returned to a much needed sleep to recover from the ordeal of the caves.

Author's Note:

And now we see the other side of the aftermath of An Exchange of Blows, and thus ends the second day in Blackwater Quarry. What awaits our heroes as their adventure continues?

Given Randimaxis' commentary on his own characters I thought I may as well do a bit of an introduction for my own as they appear, and thus Selena Diamond to start.

Her full story will be revealed later in this story, but I often think of Selena as Illiad's daughter of sorts, though they see their relationship as more of a brother/sister sort of arrangement similar in a way to Shining and Twilight. Can you guess who this Mother might be? To borrow from Randimaxis, No Spoilers...