• Published 1st May 2016
  • 556 Views, 20 Comments

Another Member of the Band - Magic Step



While investigating her mother's death (in a totes adorbs bear costume!) a young unicorn stumbles into a mysterious restaurant and makes some robot friends. They need her help, and she's happy to oblige. Friendship is magic, amiright?

  • ...
6
 20
 556

Endless Cover Up

Adorabelle only saw two gleaming blue eyes before something slammed into her, making her stop her light spell. She screamed and stumbled back as she felt limbs wrap around her neck; twisting and ducking, she broke away and sped down the walkway. She’d almost made it to Perfect Karma’s door, when crack something wrapped around her foreleg. Instinctively she reared back, but the pull of the rope made her lose her balance and topple sideways, her hooves clattering against the vertical wall on the other side of the battlement. Her head flooded with vertigo as she twisted upside down. Her back slammed against the cold castle wall as three, four hooves flew into the air, touching nothing. She was falling.

The dark ground below faced her. She squeezed her eyes and clenched her jaw and-

With a harsh jerk, her head stopped. The rest of her body swung limply beneath her and swung as she tried to understand what happened. Dimly, she became aware of the thin strip of leather clamped between her jaws.

Her head spun as she collected her thoughts. A rope like… thing… had wrapped around her leg and made her stumble over the walkway’s wall. By all rights she should have fallen two stories and broken her neck, but she’d stopped, because she’d grabbed something in her mouth…

She wanted to laugh, but couldn’t. The very weapon her assailant had used to send her over the edge was now saving her life.

“Hey.”

Adorabelle’s awkward position meant she couldn’t help but look up. A dark face appeared, more like an absence of moonlight than an actual presence.

“He-ey,” the creature repeated in a high-pitched voice. A horrifyingly familiar voice. “Just admit you lost, little girl, and die. Die. Die already! I said-”

“Perfect Aim!”

It was Perfect Karma’s voice. The face vanished, but fortunately wasn’t letting go of Adorabelle’s rescue device. Assuming that was a possibility.

“Oh, hi… Dad.”

“What have I told you? As much as I appreciate the sentiment, you can’t just yell insults at your stupid neighbor whenever you feel like it. She’s probably made it home and can’t even hear you. Get inside before anypony sees you.”

“But Daddeeee…”

“Get back to your room! I mean it!”

Perfect Karma had no idea Adorabelle was even there. She couldn’t even scream for help, not without letting go and falling. Upset, Adorabelle tried mumbling for help instead, but the attempt sounded weak even to her ears.

Perfect Karma gasped. “What- how- what is that abomination doing here?”

For a second, Adorabelle dared to hope that he’d seen her.

“Like him, Daddy?” his daughter asked. “He went with my bear collection. He was in the basement.”

Oh, he meant the stuffed bear. Figs.

“You give that over here at once! You can never touch my stuff, even if-”

Honk! “He makes sound, too, Daddy!”

“You stop that!”

Honk-honk-honk-honk-honk-honk-honk-honk-honk-honk-honk-honk-honk-honk-

“For the love of all things magical, stop! Stop! Stop!”

“Nooooo, give him back!”

Adorabelle couldn’t count on them noticing her, or on their willingness to help her. She pushed off the wall, then rocked to turn the momentum into swinging, just like a pendulum. Her eye was on a porch roof nearby; if she just got enough height and enough distance…

“He’s mine! Mine! Miiiiiiiiine!”

“No he isn’t- get back!”

Honk.

And then Perfect Karma screamed.

Adorabelle wasn’t sure she’d heard him scream in fear before. It startled her so much, she gasped.

Then she felt herself flung forward, and realized she’d accidently let go long before she was ready.

A wail escaped her as she soared towards the porch roof. She reached her hooves out and, with a thud, struck something solid.

Her hind legs were dangling beneath her. Her forehooves had made it, but the roof was pitched pretty steeply and made of slippery faux-gold. She could feel herself sliding.

“Help!” she screamed to the ponies on the walkway. “Please! Somepony! Help!”

Tears ran down her cheeks. It wasn’t going to work. Neither would be willing to help her; it was no use, and she was going to die-

Her hooves slipped and for one heart stopping second she floated in a void.

The next moment her hind legs hit the ground so hard she felt like they were being rammed up into her chest. She collapsed on one side, gasping in shock. Something warm was on one leg; her wound must have reopened.

She’d only fallen from one story up. Of course she wasn’t dead; why had she thought she would be?

Because she was an idiot.

She pressed her face against the grass beneath her and sobbed, more with sound than with tears.

Violet Edge was probably still sleeping peacefully.

***

The Puppet bounded through the air, reveling in his newfound freedom. His animatronic family members would never understand what this felt like; their brains were too small, and their programming too rigid, for them to even conceive of a world outside their little restaurant. But the Puppet was never like them; he could go anywhere, and he was always thinking.

He flew over the rooftops, sometimes soaring like a superhero, sometimes twirling around the spires that adorned the houses of Canterlot, and sometimes wheeling through the night sky in grotesque cartwheels. His long, thin body wound about like a snake. Sometimes he did handstands, but he never stood upright; his two legs tapered off into thin points instead of feet. After being confined in a tiny box for so long, he was loving the ability to stretch out once more. He would have cackled with glee, had he had a mouth that could move. Or vocal cords.

He slid down the side of a roof that curled up at the end, throwing him across the street, where he caught a flagpole, now empty, sticking from the side of a mansion on the other side. He paused for a second, dangling there from his enormously long fingers. This, he thought, was living. No pesky music, no idiot robots to ignore, no interfering night guards. Nothing but him, the night sky, the empty streets… and the mare in the moon.

The very sight made him gleeful. So did the sight of all those shiny, sparkly, painful, hellish stars in the sky. Those saccharine sweet ponies just loved to take anything they didn’t understand and kill it with fire, and now they had no choice but to turn on their own kind, since they’d destroyed everything else.

As he watched, a shooting star zipped across the sky. That would cause a lot of chaos; with any luck, he’d even be around to see it. For once.

The Puppet stretched one arm up and slowly curled four long fingers, one by one, over the rain gutter on the roof. In defiance of gravity, he flipped upwards, the tapered ends of his legs sweeping just over the tip of the peaked roof. Then he slid down the other side, folding his hands behind his head. His shoulders heaved up and down in what, had he had lungs, would have been a sigh. After hearing the exact same minute-long ditty on loop, unceasingly for goodness knows how long, it was refreshing to hear nothing but the sound of…

…crying.

The Puppet sat bolt upright and started wringing his hands, twisting his fingers into licorice. Yes, yes it was. Definitely was. Great Starswirl; how long had it been…?

Feeling shy for some reason, the Puppet slunk from rooftop to rooftop like a cat. The sound of sobbing got louder and closer.
At last, he crawled to the top of a navy plated dome and saw movement. He carefully lowered himself towards the street, his legs wrapped around the golden weather vane on top.

Curses. The tower itself was white; his black body would be far too visible against it. He had to content himself with clinging to the edge of the roof.

The crier was a unicorn. A periwinkle unicorn. Her mane was white, and- yes, it did!- it had a blue streak running through it. And her cutie mark was… was…

The Puppet leaned down a little farther than seemed safe. Yes, it was the very same lock. There was no possible way he could be mistaking it. It was her. After all this time? How had she escaped?

The unicorn shuffled slowly down the street, sobbing miserably. She trotted up the steps of a house- and it was even the same house!- and slipped in the front door.

The Puppet pulled back and wrapped his arms around the weather vane, idly braiding them between the metal bars. He’d long imagined what his first day of freedom would be like, but how could he possibly have anticipated…?

One thing was certain. His work wasn’t done yet.

The Missing must stay Missing.

***

Adorabelle’s dad shook her awake the next morning.

“Adorabelle, Adorabelle!”

“Wh-what?” Adorabelle blinked sleepily at Sterling Scales. “Am I late for school?”

“N-no, no, you aren’t.” The chocolate brown stallion took a few steps back. “I… I had to tell you immediately. You see… Cadance… made a mistake.”

Adorabelle gasped. “The star spells? Really? Did she? What happened? What-”

“One… one of the stars shook loose during the sending.” Sterling Scales closed his eyes. “It fell.”

“No…” Adorabelle breathed. “Did… is he… dead?”

“No.” Her father cringed. “They found the crash site. It… the purification chamber, it was damaged… and completely empty. All the stars are full.”

“Was it a jailbreak?” Adorabelle trembled with excitement. “Who was it?”

“They’re not releasing it to the public… please don’t look happy.”

“You, like, aren’t exactly the public.” Adorabelle leapt out of bed and started arranging her outfit for the day; what would match the mood of this historic event? The star summoning had gone off without a hitch for decades.

“But you are. And I don’t think you need to know either. Just… please, please, Adorabelle, stay safe. And don’t do anything stupid. And stay with Violet Edge as much as possible. And if you learn anything, anything at all, please, please, please…”

“Aw, come on.” Adorabelle settled on a blue gauzy scarf covered with gold glitter stars and a matching skirt. “I’m, like, not stupid. Of course I’ll go to the cops.”

“Promise me,” Sterling Scales said. His voice was practically trembling.

Adorabelle turned and kissed her dad on the cheek. “I promise that if I meet a murderer, or hear where a murderer is, I’ll go straight to the cops. Happy?.”

“Thank you.” Sterling Scales bent his head and pressed one hoof to his mouth. Maybe he was fighting tears.

“Don’t worry, m’kay?” Adorabelle finished tying her scarf, then slipped out of her room.

***

Adorabelle climbed in the window and landed with a clunk on the living room floor.

Perfect Karma dashed in and growled at her. “Was coming through the door not obnoxious enough?”

“Well, like, I can’t open any doors, so I had to come in the window.” Adorabelle dashed past him and up the stairs. “Edgy! E-e-e-edgy! Time for school!”

“He’s down here,” Perfect Karma said.

“Huh?” Adorabelle turned so fast she hurt her neck. “Since when?”

But Perfect Karma had left the room.

Adorabelle leapt down the remaining stairs and stumbled after him. “Hey, where’s Violet Edge then? Hey Edgy!”

She found him in one of the mansion’s grand halls. The ceiling was extra high, and there was a bridge between two of the second story hallways arching over the first floor.

Violet Edge was staring intently at a book lying on the floor. A string was tied around it, and led all the way up to the bridge, where a certain grinning mare sat. Her short, light blue mane was frazzled and unkempt; her coat was the same shade as Perfect Karma, her father’s; her cutie mark was a wildly lashing whip.

“Aw, Aimy, what are you doing now?” Adorabelle asked.

Perfect Aim giggled hysterically. “Fishing for ehhhhhhgies!”

“Adorabelle…” Violet Edge said. Sweat ran down his forehead. “I can handle this.”

“Noooo, I’ve got it.” Adorabelle dashed forward and grabbed at the book, but Perfect Aim jerked it away from her. Adorabelle reached out to it telekinetically.

A small object clunked Adorabelle between the ears.

“Naughty naughty.” Perfect Aim wagged her hoof. “Leave the bait alone!”

“Is that book really so important?” Adorabelle asked Violet Edge.

“Of course,” Violet Edge whispered. “It’s my guardian’s copy of Black’s law dictionary.”

“Oh, but, like, I gave you your own for your birthday, remember?” Adorabelle brightened. “It’s in your room. BRB!” She skittered towards the second floor staircase before Perfect Aim could throw something at her.

“Wait, no!” Violet Edge’s hoofbeats pursued her. “It’s okay, it’s not like Perfect Aim is strong enough to, um, reel me in or anything-”

Adorabelle made it to Violet Edge’s room and pushed the door open. She gasped.

“Oh, boy,” Violet Edge whimpered.

One of the bookcases had been tipped over, scattering important looking books everywhere. Behind the bookcase was the balcony door, ever so slightly ajar.

Tears tickled Adorabelle’s eyes. She turned and flung her forelegs around Violet Edge’s neck.

“No, no, please…” Violet Edge said.

“You do care about me,” Adorabelle sobbed, swinging Violet Edge slightly. “You knew I was in trouble and went to save me. You’re a real knight in shining armor, you really are!”

“No I’m not!” Violet Edge shouted right in Adorabelle’s ear. This startled her into loosening her grip, and Violet Edge slipped out and glared at her.

“But…”

“A real hero would have run out to the walkway where you actually were, not some stupid balcony.”

“You used your telekinesis to catch me, and that’s why I didn’t die!” Adorabelle smiled.

“You didn’t die because you fell hind legs first from less than one story.”

“No, you helped, I’m sure you did.” Adorabelle levitated the bookcase upright again. “And now I can return the-”

Violet Edge screamed in rage and stormed out of the room.

“Hey, what did I just say- oop!” Adorabelle realized her mistake. In her shock, she nearly let the bookcase topple over again; she quickly fixed it before following Violet Edge.

Violet Edge was at the bottom of the spiral stairs. Adorabelle took a few steps down so she could see him, then telekinetically yanked his tail to pull him back.

“You, like, can’t walk around Canterlot naked. It’s too rustic. Please come up and we’ll pick a cute outfit.”

“Go on without me. You’re the one with an actual gift.”

“Aw, Edgy, don’t be like that. You know average girls are more magical than average boys. There’s, like, no shame in being average.”

“I’m not average and you know it. Let go of my tail.”

“Well, like, not all gifts are magical, and yours is, like, legal awesomeness. Okay? So stop being such a total, like, drama queen and get up here.”

Violet Edge glared at her, but came upstairs.

“Oh, yeah, before I forget, my dad says I have to stay with you all day long.”

“Oh, ha ha, no he didn’t.”

“Did so. Because a criminal escaped from the stars because, like, Cadance messed up her first star summoning, so we have to be all safe and stuff.”

Violet Edge froze. “Tell me you’re kidding.”

“Nup. Serious as, uh, Sunday. The day. Not the ice cream. Which isn’t serious.”

Violet Edge slapped his forehead. “Why me?”

***

Of course she didn’t really get to follow Violet Edge around all day because they didn’t have any classes together. Adorabelle had been under the impression that they’d get to watch Mystic Faerie’s vandalism case, but first Violet Edge had insisted that it wasn’t useful enough to him to be worth skipping class over, and then Mystic Faerie sent them a telegram saying it had been settled out of court.

So Adorabelle, being the dutiful child that she was, waited eagerly for Violet Edge at the door to the cafeteria.

While she waited, she took a seat by the side of the cafeteria door and closed her eyes. She had another spell she could use almost instinctively; it was a listening spell of sorts that let her hear everything in a room as though she were nearby, and it let her process everything she was hearing simultaneously. Security guards and bodyguards and ponies of that ilk used it to keep an ear out for suspicious characters; they had better filters. Adorabelle just sort of took in everything.

“I don’t know, maybe materials engineer,” Chemical Formula was saying. “I was always fascinated by the different plastics used in my toys…”

“Y-you didn’t melt them or anything, did you?” Test Tube continued.

“Oh, ha ha, no… um… they were kind of collector’s items…”

“I have a set of Button Eye toys.”

“Oh! I like Disguise Bots.”

Then, in another part of the room…

“…have to discuss our costumes,” Twinkleshine was saying. “Hope you’re not in a lurch…”

“Oh, it’s fine, fine, totally fine,” Minuette replied. “Waterfire looked lonely anyway. See you… tomorrow?”

Still elsewhere…

“Of course I’m not bitter. She only stole my idea and took credit for it and threw me under the buggy. But I’m sure it’s just because they don’t teach manners in Trottingham, and it’s not fair to expect anything else from her.”

“You’re so Sour that nopony likes you.”

“Hey, Sugarcoat! You’re not exactly the poster child for having tons of friends!”

“Heeeeeeey!” Lemon Zest interrupted. “Check out this sick new beat I got!”

Drum solo, probably played on the tabletop.

“Some friends I could do without,” Sour Sweet grumbled.

“How dare you hurt my ears with that obnoxious heavy metal nonsense!?” Black Snooty shouted from somewhere far from when Lemon Zest’s voice came from.

“That’s not heavy metal,” Lyra said from yet another place. “That’s an isolated drum beat. You can’t call it anything yet until you put something on top of it.”

Then, the voice she’d been waiting to hear.

“…looked identical to my dad in every way, except that I had a horn, so they were doomed no matter what they did. Had my mom claimed me, they both would have been kicked out, so my dad claimed me instead, since they couldn’t prove I was the child of his owner, just that my dad had a relationship with a unicorn… which, as a slave in a supremacist house, he still wasn’t supposed to do, so he had to leave, but only me and my dad instead of our whole family… hence the ‘Edge’. They lived on the edge, and it came to bite them.”

“Your dad was an earth pony?” Sunny Flare asked. “I suppose that’s why your magic is so… ahem…”

Adorabelle sprang to her hooves and trotted over to where Violet Edge was sitting with a small bunch of pre-law students. “How did you sneak in without my noticing?” she demanded of her friend.

“Sneak, nothing,” Crystal Clear said. “We went in invisibly.”

Violet Edge glared at Crystal Clear.

“Hey,” Sunny Daze said, “I did not agree to that! How is anypony supposed to see my beautifully coordinated outfit if they can’t see me?”

“Well, I’m, like, here now, so-”

“These seats are taken,” Argumentation blurted out.

“All of them,” Sunny Flare said. “Everywhere.”

“Except in Canterlot University,” Crystal Clear said, doing her best to look down her nose at Adorabelle even though she was sitting down and Adorabelle was standing. “So go eat lunch there, where the fluff-headed beauties go.”

Violet Edge sunk his teeth into a sandwich and left them there, trying to avoid eye contact.

Adorabelle swished her tail angrily. “Hey, CU has lots of smart ponies who just wanted to, like, do sports and stuff too. Also, like, our school has a rep for being full of rude snobs.” In an especially cutesy voice, she asked, “Wonder why?”

“It’s not snobbery if it’s true,” Crystal Clear said. “And you, my dear, have the absolute worst academic performance of anypony in this school, and it is quite frankly a disgrace.”

Violet Edge finally stopped biting his sandwich. “Somepony would always have to have the lowest performance…”

“Not in every single subject.” Sunny Flare tossed her short purple mane with contempt.

“I’m, like, good at history and, uh, writing…”

“No you aren’t, you idiot,” Argumentation said. “We’ve all seen your ‘writing’, and we all know it’s just scribbles designed to look like you’re paying attention. Also, any of these girls sitting here could give you a run for your money on beauty if they weren’t too busy with more important academic pursuits.”

“Oooh, bad move,” Adorabelle said sympathetically.

“What are you talking about!?” Sunny Flare stood up and held her drink threateningly over the unwise stallion’s head. “Say I’m more beautiful than her, or I ruin that lovely silk jacket you have on!”

Argumentation flattened his head against the table. “Mercy, please!”

Adorabelle took the distraction as an opportunity to sweep one foreleg around Violet Edge’s shoulder and try and pull him away.

“No, please,” he whispered. “I like these ponies and your dad didn’t literally mean we have to be together constantly…”

“But I need to talk to you,” Adorabelle whisper-whined.

Violet Edge sighed and scooped up his lunch tray. They retreated to an empty table in the corner.

“What is so incredibly important?” Violet Edge muttered bitterly.

“Oh, well…” Adorabelle had lots to say, but wasn’t sure how to bring it up. It was more like she wanted to use Violet Edge as a sounding board than that she wanted him to know what she had to say. “Um… what’ll you do if the criminal contacts you?”

Violet Edge stared blankly at her. “The one from the failed star sending?”

Adorabelle nodded.

“…Go to the police?” he deadpanned.

Adorabelle rested her head on her hooves and sighed. “I, like, wasn’t totally sure…”

“I thought you promised your dad-”

“I promised him that I’d tell the police if a murderer contacted me. And, like, you totally figured out who the escaped guy is, amiright?”

Violet Edge swirled some salad leaves around. “…Well, escaped convict must have come from Taurus, since that’s the constellation that was being sent…”

“And?”

“And your dad was specific that you and I needed to stay together, not just that you shouldn’t be alone…”

“And?” Adorabelle prompted.

“…so that narrows it down to cases where your dad was the judge, and my guardian was the prosecutor.” He lowered his eyelids. “Which is almost all of them, so I don’t see-”

“But my dad knows I’m not stupid and would totally have too much sense to follow directions by, y’know, total creeps. But he was, like, totally freaking out, so… who on Taurus would I be most likely to trust?”

Violet Edge’s eyes grew wide again. “Terry.”

“And Terry isn’t a murderer, because his victim didn’t die-”

“Yes she did and I’m sick of hearing you say that.” Violet Edge stabbed his salad forcefully, which naturally made his telekinetic grip on the fork slide off, and the implement clattered to the table. He flinched, then tried to pretend he hadn’t.

“Nooooo, Dahlia isn’t dead, silly. She’s just hiding. I totally would know if she was dead; we’ve got that psychic twin link going on.”

Violet Edge put his head in his hooves. “I don’t even know where to begin…”

Adorabelle pet his head comfortingly. “Take it piece by piece.”

“Okay. One, you two aren’t twins. Two, you don’t have a psychic link. Three, that’s a really stupid reason for thinking somepony isn’t dead. Four, if you two are really such awesome friends as you keep saying, why would she go into hiding and not tell you?”

Adorabelle grew sober. “Well… I’ve been thinking about that, and I guess… I mean, I can totally keep a secret, but it, like, somehow didn’t occur to me it should be secret so I’ve been talking about how she’s just in hiding since, like, I first heard the news… if she had told me then, I would have stopped talking about it, and it would have been all suspicious and stuff. There! That proves it!”

“Stop it. Your logic makes me cry.” Violet Edge pressed his face deeper into his hooves.

Adorabelle giggled.

“But that’s beyond the point.” Violet Edge lifted his head again. “Please tell me that even if Terry contacts you, you’ll still go to the police.”

Adorabelle’s shoulders sagged. “I… I guess.” She stared at the table. “Oh, and, like, speaking of things I shouldn’t do…”

“You invited me over here to talk about your own projects again?”

“I need to investigate the Missing Children Incident, and I’m hoping you can help.”

“Well, hope no more. What do you expect that I can do that you can’t?”

Adorabelle twirled a strand of her mane in her telekinetic grip. “Well, I, like, wanted you to ask your guardian if-”

“No.”

“Aw, come on…”

“Didn’t your dad also tell you to not investigate this?”

“Yes, and that’s why I totally have to!”

She waited for Violet Edge’s witty remark. But he just took a mouthful of salad and wouldn’t look at her.

Finally he asked, “Why?”

Adorabelle started whispering. “The Missing Children Incident was the last case my mom ever worked on. I don’t know where she was in it- if the trial had or hadn’t happened and stuff- but her client was with her when she died. My uncle didn’t know him, or anything about the MCI.”

“MCI?”

“‘Missing Children Incident’ was getting totes clunky. Anyway, my dad freaked when I learned about the incident, and was totally intent on keeping me from learning more. Ten years or so after the fact.”

“Why are you whispering?”

“Whispering is for secrets. So why would my dad be scared of me investigating anything?”

“If he thought you would be in danger…”

“Right. It’s almost like he thinks the case… would kill me. Like it killed my mom.” Adorabelle inhaled slowly. “But my uncle had no connection to the case… like, at all.”

Violet Edge continued his blank stare. “Wait… you think your uncle is innocent?”

“Worse. I think my dad knows he’s innocent.”

Violet Edge drew back. “You are… what? Okay, in the first place-”

“Whisper!”

“No! I’m not whispering! In the first place, isn’t your dad’s talent ‘justice’? Wouldn’t letting his innocent brother be punished for a crime he didn’t commit be kind of against his talent?”

“Well, yeah, but, like, family confuses him. He’s only equine. That’s why he won’t judge cases that involve his family or friends.”

“Fair enough,” Violet Edge said through gritted teeth. “But second, what makes you think the case necessarily had to do with your mom’s death? Maybe it was just really dangerous. You know literally nothing except the name!”

“Still dangerous ten-something years later?” Adorabelle countered. “He’s not normally that paranoid.”

“This is your dad we’re talking about, Adorabelle. He’s afraid of his own shadow.”

“Nooo, that would be Safeguard… literally.”

“Stop changing the subject. This is a stupid train of thought that you’re on and I hope you disembark before you crash.”

“Ooh, cool metaphor.”

Violet Edge rolled his eyes. “Maybe accept that your dad is older and wiser than you for once.”

Adorabelle slumped and rested her chin on the table. “You never want me to have fun.”

“Yes I do.” Violet Edge shuffled his empty dishes around his lunch tray, apparently looking for some food to distract his eyes with. “Which is why I want you to leave me alone and find other friends. I’m a stick in the mud and everypony knows it.”

“I know, but I think sticks are cute.” Adorabelle leaned forward and booped him on the nose. “I’m weird that way.”

“Ow.”

“Some stallion you are; that didn’t hurt and you know it.”

Violet Edge’s cheeks flared red, and he slid his lunch tray off the table and caught it with wobbly telekinesis. “See you after school?” he muttered.

“I hope I don’t have to go to the hospital after testing again. I, like, totally hate to make you wait…”

It was only after Violet Edge left that Adorabelle remembered she’d forgotten to get food for herself. Oops. She could grab some apple chips on the way out, anyway. Nothing Violet Edge had said had changed her mind. She totally still wanted to meet with Terry, and was totally still investigating the Missing Children Incident.

Especially why her dad was so keen on keeping it from her.