• Published 9th Apr 2016
  • 1,090 Views, 12 Comments

Champion of Equestria: Dark Desires - Buddy Hooves



It's been half a year since Mark has defeated Sombra and saved Equestria. But all is not right in his world, as dark forces inside and around him plot to control him.

  • ...
3
 12
 1,090

Chapter 1: Adjustment

"I'm ready whenever you are." Shining Armor said, taking a defensive stance infront of me.

"Got it. Just so we're clear, it's the same bet as last time." I proclaimed with a smirk. Me and Shining Armor were both in an open area inside the Crystal Empire. Several of the royal guards circled around us, watching our little sparring match.

"You got this sir!" one of the guards cheered for Shining. "Come on, Mark! I got 60 bits riding on you." Another one shouted. Yeah. That makes me feel much better. I thought before sizing up my target.

Ever since I was made a 'Champion of Equestria' by princess Celestia, i've been acting as a front line soldier. Going all around the borders of Equestria, and dealing with monsters and events before they got out of hoof. And although I was much better at combat and spell casting then what I was when I first started, I was still no match against Shining Armor. He was captain of the royal guards, and had years of experience on me.

"What's the matter? Don't tell me you got cold feet on me." Shining smirked.

Charging up my horn, I fired a magic bolt right at his head. He quickly blocked it with his shield magic, but that sure took the smile off his face. Pressing my attack, I charged up my horn again while rushing right at him. I fired point blank at his shield, and while he was able to keep it up, it did slide him back a few feet. Neither of us could keep using our magic like we currently were, and we both knew it.

Which is what I was counting on.

As soon as Shining Armor dropped his shield, I didn't give him a moment to relax. I threw every punch and kick I had at him, hoping to throw him off before he could counter. I loved the thrill of my heart pumping and my body working overtime. I was in the zone. And then Shining did something that caught me off guard. He threw up his protect shield with me still in it.

"I got you now." Shining said. As he took advantage of my confusion, and went on the attack. Now it was my turn to block and dodge.

The guards around us cheered with excitement. They were loving the show we was giving them. But unless I did something quick, the match would be over, and like last time, I'd never hear the end of it. I couldn't teleport away, and I didn't have much room to work with. So I decided to take a gamble. Charging up my horn, I waited for Shining to throw the right punch at me. Then, instead of blocking the attack, I let him connect with a hoof in the side of me face. It hurt like hell, but when it hit I released my sonic wave spell. The screeching caused both of us to flinch in pain, covering our ears to avoid the sound. But he dropped the shield, and that was just the opening I needed.

Before he recoverd, I connected with a few lucky hits on him. But he then threw his own attacks right back at me, and we were now matching each other blow for blow. I need to end this fast! I thought. So after a quick perry, I jumped back and took to the sky. Now, I want to make it clear, I can't fly. The days when I was channelling the raw power of Sombra, and was able to do those crazy anime moves were over. But I was a full unicorn now. And these past few months had taught me how to control my magic with ease. And althought I couldn't fly, using a fraction of magic to soar high into the air was no problem.

With Shining Armor on the ground, and me in the air, I starting charging my horn up for one final attack. "Let's see you dodge this one!" I shouted down at him. The circle of guards started to worry. Some even backing as far back as they could. But Shining Armor just stood calm, and began charging up his horn as well. After a few seconds of preparing, we both fired our magic beams straight at each other. Both connected with a loud BOOM, and we both found ourselfs in the middle of a power beam struggle.

"You're not going to win this time!" I shouted, determined to win.

"No way. I'm not done yet." Shining grunted. He focused all his strength into the beam.

But luck was on my side. While I wasn't as powerful as I was when I defeated the Sombra possessed dragon, I was still a powerful unicorn when it came to magic. I wasn't as strong as the princesses were, but then again, niether was Shining. And I could feel his beam starting to weakin. Now was my chance to press the attack.

Now's my chance to finish him off once and for all...

The sudden thought caught me completely off guard. Before I could recover, Shining gave one last push, and won the beam struggle. His magic hit me straight on. I screamed before falling down to the ground. I soon connected with the earth with a loud THUD, knocking all the air from my lungs.

"ouch." I moaned. As I blinked the stars out of my eyes. I soon saw that Shining was standing over me, bearing a smug grin.

"I believe that this round is mine." Shining said. He then held a hoof out to help me up.

"I guess so. But you gotta admit, I came closer that time." I commented, before taking the hoof and pushing myself back up.

The guards around us cheered. Some even collected some bits from the others, much to their regret. After a few moments, the crowd around us dissolved, until it was Shining Armor, me, and a few guards. They quickly came up to us, with smiles on there faces.

"Excellent work, sirs." said the gray pegasus. His name was Fletfoot. "You gave the boys one heck of a show."

"Are you okay, Mark?" The white unicorn, named Light Flake asked. "You took a nasty fall there."

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just my pride was hurt is all." I said with a hint of disappointment.

"Don't feel too bad. If anything, I noticed how much your combat skills have improved in these past few months." Shining Armor reassured me.

"Besides, out of everypony that's challenged the captain, you're the the only one that's even come close to beating him." Fletfoot said, jabbing his hoof into my arm alittle harder then I would have liked.

All right, everypony. The show's over. Return to your posts." Shining ordered as our captain. "And Mark... Princess Twilight would like you to write her another friendship report as soon as your shift ends."

And with that, Shining Armor left us and the opened courtyard to no doubt continue his royal duties. And spend time with his wife and newborn daughter.

"Just remember your side of the deal." Fletfoot winked at me before walking off.

"Thanks for buying our drinks again." Light Flake waved at me before heading off to join him.

Well.... Shit. I thought to myself. Another sum of pay down the drain.


My name is Mark Less Stevens. And I used to be human. It was almost a whole year ago, that I found a strange looking crystal that transported me into Equestria, and started all these strange events that have lead to my new life. And a long story it was. But I'll pull a page off of my good friend Pinkie Pie, and try to tell the short version.

First I woke up in Everfree Forest, as a blue earth pony. I was then chased by some timberwolfs, and fell from a cliff into a river. I was found by the zebra, Zecora, who nursed me back to health before taking me into Ponyville. Once in Ponyville, I met the greatest mares that soon became my bestest friends. Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Twilight Sparkle. But that's when I also learned somepony was after me, as a giant rock golem attacked.

That's when I learned that the crystal gave me some unknown power.

After that, Twilight, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna tried to find the connection to everything about me. While that went on, I stayed in Twilight's castle, and started to adjust to my new life as a pony. I grew to love my new friends, and was even slowly started to learn how to tap into that strange magic I now had. But that's when trouble decided to pop its ugly head out again. This time in the form of three griffin mercs, lead by one named Dark Claw. It was a tough fight, as I had a few close calls and ran into a den of quarray eels. But thanks to my friends, in the end I was able to use my magic (in the form of a Kamehameha Wave) to save the day.

More time passed, and soon it was time for the Grand Galloping Gala. And that's when all hell broke lose. Dark Claw showed back up, as well as the one behind everything. Sombra. Who had now possessed the body of a black dragon. The girls and I defeated Dark Claw easily enough, but that's when the real problem started. It was then we all learned that Sombra had stored his spirit away inside of two crystals. One that a dragon found, and one that I found. It was then I realized that it was Sombra's magic I was using the whole time. It was sickening.

Sombra informed Princess Celestia, Luna, and the girls that if they defeated him in that form, his spirit would move on to possess me. Using that to his advantage, the girls couldn't, and wouldn't hurt Sombra for fear of what would happen to me. Deciding to put a stop to him once for all, I channeled all the power I had into another epic DBZ move (Vegeta would have been proud). But the move left me hanging on by a thead, and true to his word, Sombra's spirit did try to take me over. Princess Celestia, Princess Luna and Twilight used their combined magic to banish Sombra spirit from me. But by then, the damage had been done.

I now looked like a unicorn version of Sombra. Except with blue eyes.

After everything was all said and done, Princess Celestia had me knighted. I was now known as the Champion of Equestria. And although I would have loved to have stayed in Ponyville and live a peaceful life with my friends, I just couldn't. I was afraid. Though I told no one about it, Sombra's memories and mine were too woven together now. I wasn't the same pony that they grew attached to. I wasn't the same pony that Applejack fell in love with.

So I decided to take my new role as Equestria's protector more seriously, and choose to sign up with a special unit of royal guards. I was assigned to camps near the border of Equestria, to handle any threat that would dare invade this peaceful land. There, I was able to make friends like Fletfoot and Light Flake, as well as practice controlling my magic. During those following months, I dealt with things like guard duty, noble escort, and monster patrol. An encounter with a hydra earned me respect among my unit.

But I didn't cut all my ties to my friends in Ponyville during this time. Twilight made me promise that I'd write every so often to inform them what I was up to, and in return she did the same. Twilight told me how her and the girls have been busy during my time way, and how they were summoned by the 'Cutie Map' to go on friendship quests. She told me about all the things they were up to since then, and even about things they experienced during that time. They even reformed a new rival named Starlight Glimmer, and she was now staying in Twilight 's castle.

It was about the time that I was infomed that Shining Armor and Princess Cadence was going to have a baby, that my unit and I was reasigned. We were posted to a camp near Yakyakistan, to protect the trade route between them and the Crystal Empire from snow monsters. It was a tough assignment, as the blistering cold and isolation made life hell for most guards there. But I spent my time reading new spells I could find, and practicing my magic. And when we did get a chance to fight, I used everything I learned to good use.

But soon after, news of the new baby alicorn reached my post. And following that, a small band of my unit was sent to the Crystal Empire to help guard the new bady foal. Which is were I'm currently at. For this last month, I've been sparring with Shining Armor in my free time, while spending the rest on dull guard duty.

Today's guard duty was especially boring, as I was assigned to watch the store room. Who's going to break into a room with castle cleaning supplies? I thought to myself. Oh yes, Princess Cadence, I've stolen all your Mr. Clean and mops in the castle. If you don't surrender to me, your castle will become dirty! Dunt dunt duh! I laughed at the thought of such a thing even happening.

Just as I imagined what a villian like that could even look like, another guard came over. "your shift is done." he told me.

"That can't be right. I still have at least four more hours left." I stated.

"Sorry, but that's the orders." He said calmly. "The Princess wanted you to see her in the dining hall right away."

That doesn't sound good. I thought to myself. I wonder if anything's wrong. I quicky thanked the replacement guard before heading straight toward the dining hall.


One good thing about wearing royal guard armor was that nopony could tell who I was underneath it. As I made my way to the dinner hall, I passed a few castle staff as well as a few regular crystal ponies. Who must have been part of the castle tour that Shining Armor and Princess Cadence came up with shortly after coming to power. I was uncomfortable begin around the crystal ponies of the Crystal Empire, seeing as I looked just like their King before he went nuts. So I keeped my armor on most of the time, taking it off only at the end of my shift.

When I reached the dining hall and opened the massive doors, I found a puzzling sight. Princess Cadence was sitting at the end of the table sipping tea and eating a few fresh made muffins. From the smell, I 'd say blue berry. The only other person in the room was a servant waiting to refill her cup. Or get some more muffins.

"Mark, how nice to see you again." the Princess greeted me. "Come, join me for some tea. Will you?"

Puzzled, I took a seat not far from her. "Is everything alright, your Majesty?" I asked, before taking my helmet off and setting it beside me. The servant immediately poured me a fresh cup of tea. Which I have to say, smelled great.

"Mark, there's no need to be so formal." Cadence giggled. "Just call me Cadence. We are both friends, after all.

"As you wish." I replied before taking a sip of tea. It was heavenly. "What can I do for for?"

"That's just it. You've already done so much for me, as well as for all of Equestria." She said before setting her tea cup down with her magic. She then gave me a very serious look that seemed almost stern. "I've read up on your report file. Since you started duty as an active guard, your record has been outstanding. You've always been on time. Followed orders to a T. And took every dangerous mission that was near you." She then gave me a small smile. "Even my husband tells me of how well your skills have become."

"Thank you." I nodded. "Speaking of which, where is Shining Armor?" I asked.

"Spending some time with the baby." she answered. "Mark, listen. I've known that ever since you've been knighted, you've taken the role very seriously. But I've also know that you've sign up for posts near the end of Equestria." Oh boy. I don't like where this is going. "Almost like you've been avoiding Ponyville for some time."

I knew it. We're finally opening the can of worms, it seems.

"Mark, what's the matter? Why haven't you've returned to Ponyville?" She asked. When I looked at her, I saw her eyes were full of concern.

"Nothing's wrong, per say." I fidgeted in my chair. "I've just been busy is all. With royal guard duty."

She gave me a look of complete deadpan.

"Okay. So maybe my last few assignments have been a little lack luster." I admitted.

"Mark, I think you need a break. When aunt Celestia made gave you the title of Champion, I don't think it meant full time guard duty." She then gave me a soft smile. "Go home, Mark. Spend some time with your friends. Live your life like a normal pony. You've more then earned it."

"But what about protecting the Empire? What if there's another threat?" I asked, worried.

"Then we will deal with it when the time comes." She simply stated. "Me and the other princesses agree that you've been pushing yourself too hard."

I said nothing, as I looked straight at the table. Deep in thought. Maybe I have been pushing myself too hard. But I can't just return to Ponyville and pretend like nothing happened. It's been well over six months. Will my friends be angry with me because of it? Will Applejack?

"Don't think so much about it."

"Huh?"

"I said, don't worry so much about it." Cadence said, snapping me back to reality. "Tomorrow, take the first train back to Ponyville and enjoy yourself."

"Okay. Just do me a favor and don't write to Twilight about this." I pleaded. "If Pinkie hears I'm on my way back, she'll freak out and I don't think the world is ready for a party of that scale." I shivered at the image. Confetti and streamers everywhere.

"Deal." Cadence laughed.

After that, I bid the princess farewell and headed back to my quarters. To not only pack my things for the trip, but tell my unit I was leaving. Something told me Fletfoot and Light Flake still expected those drinks before I left.

Author's Note:

Hope you all like my sequel. I know I'm two year late to the party, but better late then never. Besides, I was dealing with things at the time, so I couldn't find the time to continue. But the show is still going, and I feel like writing.

On a side note, this story will be shorter (I hope) then the last one. But I hope to trim the fat of the plot and get right into the good parts. Also, this chapter took awhile to write because I was hit by a stomach virus while working on it. Not fun.