• Published 9th Apr 2016
  • 1,089 Views, 12 Comments

Champion of Equestria: Dark Desires - Buddy Hooves



It's been half a year since Mark has defeated Sombra and saved Equestria. But all is not right in his world, as dark forces inside and around him plot to control him.

  • ...
3
 12
 1,089

Chapter 4: Reflections

Today was turning out better then I hoped it would. For starters, I was able to take my shower in a different bathroom of the castle, so I didn't have to worry about walking in on either Twilight or Starlight. Then, after breakfast was over, I went to the library to kill a few hours reading a Daring Do book. Then after that, I decided to walk around Ponyville and just enjoy the day. That's when I ran into Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. Now I was talking with them, as Dash wanted to hear all about the 'cool' parts of my time as a royal guard.

Truth was, I was truly happy. In just a few days, I had returned to Ponyville, faced my fears and told my friends why I left in the first place. Applejack and I made up, and now our relationship was doing better then it ever had before. I still couldn't believe that I had a girlfriend now. Just a year ago, I was just an average human loser, who had no real goal in life. But now, in Equestria, I was a unicorn stallion with a beautiful earth pony mare and was known as a hero.

My life had really changed. I had really changed.

"No way, that's nothing." Dash boasted, showing me a small scar on one of her legs. "This is from the time I crashed into the Everfree and had to escape from a pack of tiberwolfs."

"Oh yeah?" I turned to my side, showing them a burn scar on my belly. "This was from the time I was hit by friendly fire when me and my unit took on a snow monster."

What started out as my telling Dash and Fluttershy about my experiences as a guard, quickly turned into a contest over who had the better battle scars. She showed everything from her fights, to her flight crashes, to even simple childhood scars she had.

"Umm, guys? I don't really think this matters. Does it?" Fluttershy softly asked.

"Well check this out." Dash then pointed to one of wings, which had a barely visible scar at it's base. "This is from the first time I ever tried to fly. Jumped off the couch and broke my wing. Gave my folks a real heart attack."

"Ha. I can top that. This little beauty was when as a kid, my appendix almost rupture and I had to have surgery." I pointed to the small line scar that was on the right side of my belly.

"Oh my that must have been horrible." Fluttershy said looking at the scar with concern.

"It wasn't that bad." I chuckled. "The worst part was trying to move around after the surgery. I was sore for a month."

Dash also gave the scar a quick look, showed both part wonder and part sympathy. When she didn't say anything for a few moments I knew that I had won that little game. Which was good because I had no intention of showing her anything else on my body. Some scars and things are better left quiet about.

"Say, I'm getting pretty hungry." I stated, hoping to change subjects and move on. "What do you say we all go grab a bite to eat. It was then the line 'eat to bite' from the Tom Hanks movie The terminal popped into my head.

"Sounds good. But your buying." Dash smiled.

"What? Why?" I asked.

"Because your the gentlecolt here, and that's what they are suppose to do for mares." She stated. "Besides you must have quite a few bits saved up from your time working for the royal guard."

"That doesn't mean I'm loaded." I protested. "Most of my savings is in the bank. I don't walk around with a huge money sack on me at all times."

"Umm, if it's too much trouble, I could pay for the meal." Fluttershy stated.

"It's okay Shy, I can pay for my meal. I was just messing around with Mark." Dash reassured her.

"More like you were trying to get a free meal from me."

"I was not!"

That caused Fluttershy and me to bust out laughing, while Dash huffed and crossed her front legs. And so, we made our way to a nearby diner, enjoying the day and each others company.


Meanwhile, in the market place of Ponyville, Twilight Sparkle was standing there waiting calming. Twilight had went with Spike and Starlight to pick up a few supplies they would need in the castle. She was waiting outside near the stalls while they went into one of the local stores. She was proud to see that her faithful assistant and new student went were getting along so well. They showed real promise when they worked together during the Crystalling incident that happened a while back. It was at that moment, Applejack had showed up.

"Howdy Twilight." Applejack greeted as she walked up to her. "Do ya have a moment ta talk?"

"Of course, AJ. What can I do for you?"

"I need ta talk with ya bout Mark." AJ said, shifting her hooves as she looked towards the ground.

"Mark? Why? Is something wrong? Did something happened?" Twilight asked, concern that Mark was in trouble.

"No, Nothing's happened. But it's still important." AJ said. "Ya see... The thing is... Well..."

"Come on, AJ. Tell me what it is. I promise that whatever it is, we'll work things out together." Twilight explained. Hoping that Applejack and Mark hadn't broken up or anything.

Applejack took a moment to draw in a deep breathe before releasing a long sigh, hoping it would ready her for this. She didn't like telling ponies about others promise, but she knew this was too important to keep quiet about. Mark was her coltfriend, and see cared for him deeply. But she also knew he wouldn't talk about this willing, so it was up to her to make sure he got the help he needed.

"Okay. So remember how Mark said that the whole reason he left was because he was afraid, and wanted time to think things over?" She asked.

"Yes I do." Twilight nodded. "He said it was because of how he looked more like Sombra."

"Yeah. But that wasn't the whole truth. See, the thing is, after the fight at the Gala, he said that some of his memories are mixing with Sombra's. And that every now and then he can hear him in his head, telling to do things."

"And Mark told you all this?" Twilight questioned, surprised by what she just heard.

Applejack nodded. "He sure did, sugar cube. When he was at the farm yesterday, he told me the real reason he left and has been gone all this time. He was afraid he might change and hurt us."

"But I don't understand. Why hasn't he told me or the other princesses about this?"

"Because he was afraid of what they may think." AJ explained. "He was afraid that they might view him as a monster."

"I guess I understand." Twilight took a moment to ponder. "This is something personal, and he has trusted you to tell you about this. So why are telling me all this? Did he tell you to keep it a secret?"

"Well, kinda..." AJ paused. "But I had to tell ya about it, Twi. He's too stubborn to ask for help and i'm afraid this may turn into a bigger problem if left unchecked."

Twilight looked at her friend for a moment. While she thought it funny that Applejack was calling Mark stubborn, a moment of the pot calling the kettle black, she was impressed none the less. She really cared for Mark.

"Please, Twi. Please tell me that ya'll talk with him later about this."

"Don't worry, AJ. I'll have a talk with him about it when he get back to the castle. Maybe I could even have Princess Luna check his dreams and see if everything is okay."

"Thanks Twi." Applejack said as she gave her friend a quick hug. "I knew I could count on ya."

"No problem, AJ. We're friends after all." Twilight smile.

"Darn right we are. Well, I got ta get back ta the farm. Bye Twilight. Oh yeah, don't forget ta tell everypony that we're having a little shindig in a few days to celebrate our harvest."

"Will do. See you later, Applejack." Twilight waved goodbye to Applejack, just as Spike and Starlight walked out of the store. They were carrying a few bags, and it looked like they got everything they needed.

"We're done, Twilight." Spike announced.

"We would have been finished sooner, if a certain dragon didn't take so long looking at comics." Starlight said dryly.

"Hey, it was a annual issue of Mare Do Well."

Ignoring their banter, Twilight instead started thinking about what Applejack had told her. If Mark was hearing Sombra inside his head, then perhaps part of his spirit was still inside him. And if their memories were starting to fuse together, then maybe it was a sign Sombra was trying to take him over. Twilight knew she had to get to the bottom of this.

"Right! Come on guys, let's go home. We got work to do."


Spending time with my friends was great. Rainbow Dash and I had a blast talking about Daring Do as we ate lunch, and I even learned that she was a real pony. Who would have thought. Fluttershy talked about her experiences with Discord and the different animals she's helped while I was gone. Not that I minded, because I found it interesting to hear how different some creatures behaved compaired to that on Earth. Not to mention she was so damn cute and I could literary have that sweet voice sing me to sleep each night. Oh shit, did I think that just now? Note to self, NEVER tell Applejack what you just thought about her friend, ever!

Anyway, after we finished our meal we just walked around for awhile longer, talking and having a great time. But then we noticed it was getting late in the day, so we decided to call it a day and head on home. After saying our goodbyes, we parted ways and I slowly begun to make my way back to the castle with a big stupid smile on my face. I needed a good day like today. Sometimes, with everything that has happened in my life it was easy to forget that I had made some great friends. Sure, they were candy colored ponies, but to be honest they were the best things that happened in my life.

After several of moments of walking, I soon arrived to the Castle just before the sun started to set for the day. Slipping inside as quietly as I could, I decided to make my way to my room so I could unwind and relax for the day. Maybe continue reading that erotic romance book I had found while looking through the library. I wonder if Twilight knew she had this? It was during that trail of thought that Spike walked into the hall.

"Mark, there you are. We was starting to wonder where you were." Spike exclaimed.

"Sorry about that. Me and the others were having such a good time that we sort of lost track of time." I explained.

"That's cool, I understand." Spike said with smile. "Oh yeah, Twilight said she wanted to see you."

"What about?"

"I don't know. She's been acting strange all afternoon." Spike said, with a puzzled look. "She's in the study room, reading old books and writing notes."

"Thanks, Spike. I'll go see what's up." I told him before making my way there. As I turned throught a few hallways, I pondered over what this could be about. I hope nothing bad has happened. I thought to myself. That's just what I need. The other boot to come down just as I was just starting to get my life back on track.

After a few more turns, I soon arrived to the room labeled 'Study Room'. Apparently, when Starlight moved in, she could find her way around the castle. Just like I couldn't when I first got here. But, unlike me, she soon started putting little labels near certain rooms to remind herself were things were. Smart move, Starlight. I opened the door and walked inside, finding Twilight sitting at a table reading a huge old book I had never seen before.

Twilight turned around as soon she heard the door close, having a deep expression of her lost in thought. But as soon as she saw it me, her face quickly took a gentle tone as she gave me a warm smile.

"Mark, so glad to see again. I was hoping to get a chance to speak with you this evening." She said as she walked up a little closer to me.

"Yeah. Spike said you wanted to see me. So what is it?"

She gave a me a small nod before taking a quick calming breathe. Almost like she was preparing herself for something.

"Mark, I'm just going to get right to the point. Applejack told me what's been going on with you."

"........"

"She told me how about your memories merging with some of his and how you've sometimes hear him in your head."

I stood there for a long moment. Not saying anything as I just stared at nothing. It was like somepony decided to stop the world stop spinning. Without having to say a word, I knew how she had learned all of that.

"Applejack." It wasn't a question as much as a statement.

"Yes. But please don't be angry at her, she was just trying to help." Twilight quickly explained, hoping to quell some of my anger at this discovery. "She's worried that something might be wrong and wanted to make sure you're okay.

"I'm not angry." I calmly replied. Truth be told, I was more shocked then I was anything. I knew Applejack and the other girls were close, so them asking each other for help came as no surprise. Still, I couldn't help but feel a little frustration.

"So you're not upset?" Twilight asked, giving me a questioning look.

"No, not really. I know you guys are just trying to help." I sighed. "So what do you think is happening to me? Do you think that spell you and the other princesses did messed up or something?"

"I'm not sure. The spell we used to banish Sombra from your body was an ancient, only know to the princesses and very few gifted unicorns." She explained. "For the spell to go wrong, a number of factors would have to be considered. But I don't think the spell failed."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because if it did, you wouldn't be you right now. Sombra would have taken you over and you would cease to exist."

"Point taken." I said with a gulp. Not liking the idea of that possibility.

"But don't worry. I sent word to Princess Celestia, and asked for Princess Luna to check your dreams tonight to see if anything is wrong." Twilight stated. "You can be surprised what you can learn in somepony else's dream."

"What?"

"Don't worry Mark, it won't hurt."

"It's not that. Just I don't like the idea of somepony walking around inside my head." The thought of the princess seeing all the personal things inside my head was beginning to make my face feel flushed.

"Why not? She's done it before."

"That was different. I was near death and had an evil spirit trying to possess me." I exclaimed. "This time, she'll be able to see the personal things in my dreams."

"It won't be tha..."

"She could see all the embarrassing dreams I had of me living out the horror that was highschool!"

"Don't worry so much about it. I'm sure Luna will be very careful to avoid running into anything that would be too embarrassing for you." She reassured. "Besides, highschool wasn't that bad. I remember in Canterlot High, the only embarrassing thing I had happen was post of me trying to use the internet for the first time."

"What?"

Twilight quickly put a hoof to her mouth. She expression told volumes of how much she had over said.

"Twilight, how do you know anything about computers, posts or the internet?"

"Umm... Well, you see... There has been a few times when I've entered into a world like this one, but everypony was human and..."

"What?!"

"You see, it's a magic mirror that's a gateway into another world. But it can only be opened every thirty...."

"WHAT?!! You mean to tell me there's been a way for me to return home all this time, and you didn't tell me?" I almost screamed at her.

"I'm not sure. That world could be very different from the one you know, and there was the risk that you could have been stuck there. We didn't want to take that chance."

"What gives you the right to decide my fate?" I slammed a hoof down hard into the floor. I could feel my horn light up as magic flowed through me. "I'm ALREADY stuck in a world I don't know about. If there was a chance that the mirror could lead to me home, don't you think I would have tried? Don't you think I'd want to see my family again?"

"I know you would. But please, Mark, try to understand. We was only trying to help you." She pleaded.

"Help? Help?! I think I've had enough of your 'help' for one lifetime." I said as I turned back towards the door.

"Mark, please."

But I didn't bother to look at her. I just opened the door walked out of the room and slammed the door.

Author's Note:

Silly Twilight, if she didn't mention her adventures in Equestria girls, none of this would have happened. This chapter took a little longer then I thought, but that's okay. The whole thing was building to Luna going into his dreams, but I decided to put all of that into its own chapter. I can't wait!

In another topic, I was wondering if I should put the sex tag up on this story yet. There are a few chapters coming up that will have detailed moments of intimacy, but only in those few parts. I'll wait and see. Maybe just give a warning before I lay that on here.

In the mean time, tell me what you think of the story so far, and what you think I could do to improve. I'd love to hear the feedback. Besides, if you give me any cool ideas, I just might use them on here.