• Published 13th Jun 2012
  • 1,308 Views, 9 Comments

Ma and Pa - Twilicorn



Written for 30 Min Pony Prompts.

  • ...
 9
 1,308

Chapter One

Twilight walked through the orchard, her horn magically holding a quill as she scribbled in a notebook. "Braeburns, Golden Delicious, Red Delicious... how does she grow so many?" Her train of though was cut off by a quiet crying, and Twilight's ears leaned towards the sound, trying to locate its exact location. Following the quiet crying, she found Applejack, sitting on the bank of a small creek that ran through the orchard. The orange mare continued her crying until Twilight gently tapped her on the shoulder.

"Huh-oh-what, oh it's you," sniffled Applejack, standing abruptly. "What brings you way out here?"

"I was researching apples, but I heard you crying. What's wrong?" Twilight put emotion behind her words, but of course she was using the proper phrases from "Comforting 101".

"Oh, nothin' sugar cube. I better be getting back t-ta my applebuckin'." There was a catch in Applejack's throat that Twilight was quick to catch.

"Really Applejack, what's wrong? 'Nothing' doesn't get a pony this upset." Applejack sat down, and Twilight sat next to her, laying a comforting hoof on the mare's shoulder.

"My Ma and Pa," choked Applejack, tears falling once again from her eyes. Her face was read and puffy, making it clear she had been crying for some time. "Th-they..." a fresh layer of sobs came from her, and Twilight began stroking her back. Wordlessly, Applejack hoofed Twilight a letter. It was printed on thick paper, golden outlines on it.

"Dear Apple Family," began Twilight, seeing where this was going. "We regret to inform you that on June Eleventh, at approximately nine thirty, Missus Apple Cider and Mister Applebuck were found dead, presumably from a pony-carriage crash. Though we do not know who hit them, we are doing our best to find out. Our condolences to you and your family." Twilight's magic dropped the letter, and a tear formed in her eyes as well. As she had read, Applejack's eyes had cleared slightly, though Twilight continued rhythmically stroking Applejack's back.

"They were travelers. Looking fer new types o' apples," said Applejack quietly, wiping away a tear from her eye. "Their service is gonna be off in Detrot, that's the city they were closest too. What's worse is we can't afford the travels." Her tears had turned to a quieter sadness, and she slowly donned her Stetson, which had been sitting next to her. "Ah haven't told anypony else, ah just don' know how to break it to 'em."

"You're going to their service," said Twilight determinedly, standing up. "Even if I have to sell my library to do so."

"Ah can't have ya doin' that," protested Applejack, standing also.

"Yes, you can. And we're not gonna tell your family yet, but we are going to put this letter on your kitchen table." The two mares headed back to the farm and carefully set the letter on the table before exiting the farm, heading towards town.

"So what's yer big idea?" Asked Applejack, her eyes slightly brightening.

"You'll see," responded Twilight mischievously, leading the orange mare into Sugar Cube Corner. "Hey Pinkie, can I talk to you?" The bakery was mostly empty, and Pinkie nodded, going with Twilight to a back room. They emerged a few moments later, Pinkie's face wet.

"I'm sooo sorry, Applejack!" Exclaimed Pinkie as she scurried to a piece of paper. She grabbed a purple pen in her mouth and began scrawling, then somehow ended up with a multi-colored sign taped to the front of her display case.

"All apple pastries purchased funds' will go to helping Applejack see her parent's memorial," read Applejack, wiping away a tear. "Ya can't do this!" exclaimed Applejack, reaching up to take the sign. Twilight caught her magically and pulled her away, beginning to leave with Applejack in tow. "Pu' me down from here!" Exclaimed the western pony, her worries forgotten as she attempted to break free of the magic.

"If Pinkie wants to do that, she can," told Twilight.

"But it's too much," insisted Applejack, now settling and beginning to cry softly once again. Twilight released her, and they trotted towards a bench, sitting down carefully.

"No, it's not. You, and Apple Bloom, and Granny Smith, and Big Macintosh all deserve this. And Ponyville is going to want to help."

"We don' deserve it! We can't even pay for it, why should others pay for it?" With those words, Twilight realized just how strong and brave of a pony Applejack was. Refusing even the slightest amount of help, no matter how much she needed.

"Because, Applejack. Because they want too. Everypony here loves you!" Exclaimed Twilight, waving her hoof around Ponyville.

"Aw shucks," said Applejack, wiping away the tears once again. "But I can't accept charity," she said in a subdued tone.

"It's not charity, Applejack. It's a gift. A gift that you will never forget for a life time. And how rude would it be to refuse somepony's gift?"

"Ah see yer point," sighed Applejack, slightly gruffly. "But it don't seem right."

"Just don't worry about it, you silly mare. Now, let's go to see what Rarity can do for you." They slowly stood, stretching their limbs before heading towards the Carousel Boutique. Twilight quickly explained the situation, and Rarity's gasp could be heard through Ponyville.

"Well I'll be! Having something this dreadful happen to such a lovely mare as you, Applejack? I'll have to start selling something to help you afford your trip!" Applejack's protests were lost on the white unicorn, who was already bustling around to grab supplies. "An apple line! Why had I never thought of it!" The mare got to work, placing fabric on the mannequins while the others watched in a nervous trance. Sharing a glance, they slowly backed away from the crazily working unicorn, excusing themselves as they left.

"Now, Applejack. Do you see how ponies want to help?" Applejack nodded, and glanced up at the sun.

"It's gettin' late," sniffled Applejack. "Daddy always came in from the orchards when it was late." The blonde mare began sniffling again.

"Let's go eat dinner," offered Twilight gently, and carefully nudged the mare back home. It was going to be a stressful meal, but Applejack needed the support.