• Published 10th Mar 2016
  • 3,515 Views, 29 Comments

Sunset's mother, Celestia - miiohau



It’s never easy to get along with one’s parents. It’s even harder when they gave you way and denied you your birthright. This is the story of Sunset Shimmer and how she fell out with and returned to speaking terms with her mother Princess Cele

  • ...
14
 29
 3,515

The party Celestia wasn't invited to

Twilight was heading off to see her human friends. Pinkie was bouncing around being her usual self.

Pinkie bounced along with Twilight. “Why can’t I come?”

“Because there is already another you over there,” answered Twilight.

“But there is already another you and two Sunsets.”

“True, but neither my human counterpart nor Sunset’s goes to the same school. It not the same.”

Pinkie stopped bouncing and pouted. “Bummer. Wait…” Pinkie suddenly shot up like a rocket. “I just got the greatest idea in the history of ideas! If we can’t go there then why can’t they come here! If they stayed in the castle then only we would know they were here.”

Twilight blinked and tried to find a flaw in Pinkie’s plan. OK, Twilight keep calm and reasonable. Worst case scenario one, Lyra sees one or more of them and starts a human panic and Ponyville becomes a ghost town for a couple of hours. Worst case scenario two, somepony sees two Pinkies, no, two Rarities and causes a panic about pod ponies or changelings, again Ponyville becomes a ghost town for a couple of hours while I prove my identity and the guard sweep Ponyville for Changelings. Worst case scenario three my brother hears the portal is open and charges through and scares Flash. Celestia knows he gave the pony version enough trouble, and I don’t even like that one. OK, one and two can be mitigated by informing the town I am going be doing an experiment and to not be surprised if they see two of my friends. Three can be mitigated by - Twilight brain glitched for a moment –actually I will just tell Cadence to keep him busy and not think about how she going to keep him busy or how it could make me an aunty.

I wonder how running endurance translates to endurance in- Twilight smacked herself three times. I said to not think about that brain. How does a foal fit though- la,la,la not thinking about it. She going to put her lips on his lips, their mouths are going to touch- *Smack* Not thinking about it! Not thinking about it! Party, party party. Not thinking- wait what? Twilight blinked and saw Pinkie in front of her repeating the word ‘party’ over and over again.

“Ah, Pinkie what are you doing?” asked Twilight.

“Oh, I was practicing saying party while you slept with your eyes open, on your hooves midstep,” replied Pinkie.

“Pinkie, I wasn’t asleep.”

“Then was Princess Celestia speaking to you telepathically? Can she do that talk to a pony in their mind? Where did she learn to do that?”

Twilight facehooved. “I wasn’t talking to Princess Celestia.”

“Then were you—”

“I was thinking about your idea and –” Twilight blushed. “-and kind of zoned out.” Twilight shook her head. “Anyways, I can’t find a problem with it. I will present it to them today.”

“Wait, just a second.” Pinkie zipped off and came back with a stack of six envelopes and hoofed them to Twilight. “Here’s their invitations and this one is yours.” Pinkie pull a final envelope from her mane and gave it to Twilight.

Twilight opened it and started reading. “Dear Twilight, you are invited to a party at Twilight’s castle for the first ever human-pony counterpart meet and greet. Signed party planner extraordinaire pony Pinkie Pie.” Twilight wasn’t even going to ask how she made these so fast, there was never a good explanation for Pinkie Pie.

“OK Pinkie I hope they all will be able to come.” Twilight placed the rest of the invitations in her saddle bags which would become her backpack on the other side. She turned and walked through the mirror.

-----

Twilight stepped out of the mirror on the human side. She saw Canterlot High for a second before her vision was filled with a cotton candy pink face.

“Hi, Twilight. What did you bring us? What did you bring us?” said Pinkie Pie.

“Pinkie, good gravy, give the girl some room. She’s about to fall back the way she came,” said Applejack.

Pinkie fell backwards into a crab walk and then did a back flip, landing on her feet.

“Pinkie! You could have shown Twilight *whisper*your underwear*whisper*,” said Rarity.

“Na, uh. I’m wearing biker shorts,” replied Pinkie.

Rarity blinked. “You’re what? Pinkie, why are you wearing biker shorts?”

“So I can do back flips without you complaining,” answered Pinkie.

Everybody blinked at Pinkie wondering how much of the last five minutes Pinkie had preplanned.

Twilight coughed. “Getting back to Pinkie’s question. I brought you these.” Twilight pulled the invites out of her saddlebag turned backpack and handed them to her friends.

“A Party!” cried Pinkie. “Hosted by pony me!”

Twilight nodded.

Sunset took a step back and away from the group. She was wearing a black bomber jacket with orange stripes on the sleeves over a spring green short sleeved dress. The bottom hem was extended a good six inches more by a transparent maize yellow skirt. She wore a pair of steel blue tights. Her dark gray boots shared the same orange stripes as her jacket.

Sunset looked at the invite. Mom. How can I… How can I face you after all I’ve done. Her face hardened. After all you done.

Sunset finally spoke. “I’m sorry Twilight, but I can’t come.” Sunset handed her invite back to Twilight.

“WHAT!?” screamed Pinkie. “But you have to come! Don’t you want to meet your counterpart?”

Sunset Shimmer pointed to herself. “I’m from Equestria, remember? I was”- Sunset’s hands spasmed into fists-“born there.”

“Oh, ya,” said Pinkie. “But you’ll miss my party.”

“I DON’T CARE ABOUT YOUR STUPID PARTY!” screamed Sunset.

Everybody was quiet. Tears were gathering in Pinkie’s eyes.

Sunset looked at Pinkie and put her head in her hands. She then looked straight at Pinkie. “Sorry Pinkie. I didn’t mean that. Equestria just brings up bad memories. Over there I’m a snob, a liar, a thief and a traitor.”

Twilight put her hand on Sunset. “Sunset, I know you haven’t had the best history but you are making amends. I’m sure Celestia”-Sunset’s eyes hardened-“will see that and forgive you. Come on. This is just going to be a fun party between friends. Why don’t you come and make some good memories?”

Sunset sighed. “Fine, on the condition that Celestia isn’t invited.”

“Your old mentor, why?” asked Twilight.

“It’s personal.”

Twilight took a deep breath. “Ok, I promis—”

“WAIT!” screamed Pinkie. “You can’t just promise. Can’t you see this is too important to Sunset for a regular promise? You need to Pinkie Promise!”

Twilight rolled her eyes. No matter what universe Pinkie took the craziest things seriously. “Ok, I promise that Celestia will not be invited. Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” Twilight did the motions as she said the words and actually managed to not put her hoof in her eye (Of course the fact that she didn’t have hooves at the moment helped).

“Good, let’s get ready,” said Sunset.

-----

Twilight came back the following Friday to guide her human friends through the mirror. “Ok, everybody, it will be a little freaky for a bit, but it is perfectly safe.” Twilight walked back through the mirror.

Her human friends followed after her.

After a light show and their bodies reshaping themselves to pony form they stepped out on the other side into what looked like a library inside a crystal building.

“Welcome to Equestria,” said Twilight.

Everypony turned and saw Twilight in all of her Alicorn glory.

“Eek!” Rarity covered her eyes. “Twilight, you aren’t wearing any clothes.”

“Uh, Rarity,” said Applejack. “Twi’s a horse. Why would she wear clothes?”

“Because otherwise she’s naked,” replied Rarity.

“Um, Rares. I think you have bigger problems than worrying about Twilight.” Rainbow Dash pointed at Rarity’s white coated body.

Rarity looked down at herself. She moved her forehooves over where her breasts and other private parts would be if she was human. “WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME I WAS NAKED!?”

Rainbow giggled. “I thought I just did.”

“CLOTHES! I NEED CLOTHES!”

Twilight blinked. “I think Rarity, I mean your Equestria counterpart, has a couple of outfits in the ballroom down the hall.”

Rarity ran out of the room, tripping a couple of times.

Rainbow Dash fall to the floor laughing.

“Rainbow Dash, that wasn’t nice,” chastised Fluttershy.

“Lighten up Fluttershy. She was going to realize it eventually.”

Twilight whispered to Sunset, “What was that all about? Why was Rarity so worried about being naked?”

Sunset whispered back, “Twilight, humans wear clothes all the time. As in, they are only without clothing when changing or bathing.”

Pinkie walked around on her hind hooves like it was normal. “So where’s the party?”

Twilight blinked at Pinkie being Pinkie. “Uh, in the ball-room. I thought you might want a little time to get used to being ponies.” Twilight lead them the ballroom.

As soon as they entered the ball room a pink blur appeared. “Hi, I’m Pinkie Pie. But you already know that. Here’s your name tags.” Pinkie handed each of the humans turned Ponies the word ‘Earth’ on a chain. “Please wear them or else this party will be confusing, nopony will know who’s who and who’s doing what.” Pinkie than handed Sunset and Twilight each a chain that said ‘Equestria’ then she zipped back so everypony could see she was wearing an ‘Equestria’ chain of her own.

The human turned ponies and the two unicorns put their tags on.

“Ok, now over here we have cake, lilies, hay and some Sweet Apple Acres cider. Lilies and hay aren’t normally party food but I thought you might want to try them while you are here. Now over there we have the makeover station where you can try Equestrian beauty products and clothing, and where your Rarity is already trying on an Equestrian dress.”

Earth Rarity was wearing a white ruffled dress from her Equestria self’s collection.

“Up there we have an open window so any pegsi who want to stretch their wings can do a couple of laps around the castle,” said Pinkie. “Over there is the dance floor. The bath room is just down the hall.”

-----

For the next hour the party was in full swing.
The Fluttershys were talking about animals and to Equestria Fluttershy’s embarrassment, pegsi, especially wing and coat care.
The Rainbow Dashs had a race around the castle. After which Equestria Rainbow Dash said her Earth counterpart had potential. Then Earth Rainbow Dash challenged Equestria Rainbow Dash to a ground based race on grounds she wasn’t used to her wings yet. Same result. Finally Earth Rainbow Dash won the two legged race. Which Equestria Rainbow Dash thought was unfair because Earth Rainbow Dash was more used to moving like that. Upshot was Earth Rainbow Dash was going to come over to Equestia to practice with her wings and hooves and Equestria Rainbow Dash was going to practice running on two legs.

The Applejacks talked about farming and the best ways to get the testiest apples.

The Rarities compared fashions.

And the Pinkie Pies, well picture a pair of super bouncy balls in a non-regular solid (i.e. lots of angles), now replace the rubber in those balls with flubber (a material that gains energy every time it bounces). Now drop the balls. The flight of those ball almost describes the motion of the Pinkie Pies, except the Pinkies were meeting more often than that model would suggest.

-----

The party when on for an hour more when the doors to the ballroom opened and in walked Princess Celestia and Spike.

“I can't understand why Pinkie didn’t invite you, Princess. That seems unlike her. Especially since…” said Spike.

Princess Celestia wasn’t listening to Spike anymore as she was too busy staring at her orange, flame haired former student. “Sun… Set…?” said Princess Celestia.

Sunset looked at Celestia like a jaywalking deer caught in front of the Canterlot Express.

Celestia ran over and hugged Sunset. “My little Sunbeam, why didn’t you return with Twilight?” Celestia held Sunset at hoof length. “Look at you. You’ve grown into a beautiful mare.”

Sunset pushed Celestia away. “Now you recognize me! Seriously!? I guess the nobles aren’t so troublesome anymore. Oh, wait they’re always troublesome. Goodnight, Princess. Have fun with your replacement daughter.” Sunset walked out of the room and down the hall.

Princess Celestia stared after Sunset then broke down crying.

“What just happened?” asked Earth Rainbow Dash.

Equestria Pinkie walked forward her mane as straight as a razor. “I messed up, that’s what. I thought if I didn’t invite her she wouldn’t come. Now… Now, it all messed up and they’re both hurting.” Pinkie cried into her hooves.

Twilight put a hoof on Pinkie. “We both did. I should’ve told Spike.”

“Told me what?” asked Spike.

Twilight turned to Spike. “Sunset didn’t want to see Celestia.”

The wailing of giant ball of white fur that was mere moment ago was Princess Celestia of Equestria increased in volume.

Twilight flinched. “Sorry.

Earth Pinkie put a hoof on Twilight. “Twilight, we need to apologize to Sunset. We broke a Pinkie Promise. It’s not our fault. Not really but it happened and it needs to be fixed.”

Author's Note:

March 12, 2016. Revised chapter. Removed ending and put back to incomplete, while work of letting the story flow naturally.