• Published 29th Feb 2016
  • 2,026 Views, 118 Comments

The Legend of the Everfree - Shadowmane PX-41



The girls are excited to be going to Camp Everfree for their Spring Break. The only downside is that the forest is on the verge of destruction, and only with the help of a mysterious girl called Gloriosa can the girls save the Everfree Forest...

  • ...
8
 118
 2,026

Midnight Rises

Gloriosa, the Rainbooms, and the Shadowbolts ran through the forest, with the Cerberus chasing behind them. Their breathing was incredibly heavy and their sweat turned into streams as they desperately tried to stay away from the giant machine trying to destroy them. Some of the girls nearly tripped up over some of the tree roots during the chase, and struggled to find their footing again.

"You're only making it worse for yourselves!" Miasma pressed some more buttons on her console, making her beast leap into the air in the attempt to crush some of the girls.

Rarity screamed and threw her arms airborne towards the falling robot, and all of a sudden, a transparent forcefield made of diamonds surrounded her and expanded, throwing the Cerberus forward and making it tumble and collapse around the other girls, almost crushing them in the process.

"Oh my..." Rarity looked at her hand before she looked at the overturned Cerberus, now helpless as a turtle on its back. "I never knew I could do that!

"Nice!" Indigo fist-pumped as she looked at the Cerberus. "It's been immobilized! Let's get going!"

"DAMMIT!" Miasma banged her head against the console of her machine as she tried to turn the machine up. All that happened, though, was that the legs of the mech simply flailer around helplessly. "WHY CAN'T I GET UP?!"

"That's the problem with these mech suits." Sci-Twi examined the legs of the Cerberus as they continued to jiggle and wave around. "They're powerful, yes. But if they're overturned—and especially with that design—then they're pretty useless."

"Let's get out of here before she gets back up, then." Sunset Shimmer and the girls continued to run farther and farther away from the immobile machine as fast as they could. "The quicker we get to the Power of the Everfree, the quicker we can finish Miasma once and for all."

"NO! STOP! DON'T YOU DARE RUN AWAY FROM ME, YOU MAGGOTS!" Miasma screamed as she pounded on all of the buttons in an attempt to try and flip her mech up or fire a weapon of any sort. She ended up blanketing herself in explosion smoke and putting herself underground even more. "I WILL HAVE YOUR HEADS! I SWEAR IT!"


When Gloriosa and the girls were out of Miasma's sight, they arrived at a cave with red crystals on the inside. The stalactimes and stalagmites inside were all very close together, like teeth gnashing against each other. The stagnant stench of water and roses hit the girls' noses when they walked inside.

"We'll be safe in here." Gloriosa ran towards a giant stone wheel and pushed it against the hole. It just fit the gap and sealed everyone inside, cutting them off from the rest of the Everfree Forest. "This is probably the most safe place of them all in the Everfree Forest. Not many people know about it, and even less dare to go in."

When the cave was closed, a bright blue light emanated from an altar in the middle. The red gems that surrounded it were glowing radiantly, and a bright blue orb with markings similar to the Rainbooms and Shadowbolts' logos appeared on it. THe orb itself was pulsating with rainbow-coloured energy, and there were faint whispers radiating off of it.

"Girls. Allow me to introduce you to the Power of the Everfree." Gloriosa walked up to the orb and stood behind it, watching the other girls step towards it. "It's the heart of the magic here in the Everfree Forest. If it falls into the hands of evil, then the world we know is done."

"It's so pretty..." Pinkie Pie was lost in a trance as she walked forward towards the orb and reached out to try and touch it. She was just about to lay her palm on the orb when Gloriosa grabbed her hand and stopped her.

"Yes. And it's only for the chosen one." Gloriosa looked Pinkie in the eyes and snapped her out of the trance by doing so. "The Power of the Everfree judges all that touch it, and decides the fate of the person through all of their life decisions and actions.

"For years, it has slept dormant in orb form. Me and Gaia have been defending it for as long as we can." Gloriosa walked back towards the orb and gazed deeper into it. "But now that Miasma seeks to destroy the forest, we can only assume that she intends to hunt down the Power of the Everfree as well. We cannot, under any circumstances let that witch harness that dark power that could come from corrupting this jewel of magic."

"Forgive me for sounding so skeptical about this, Gloriosa." Sugarcoat tipped her hand and cocked a brow at her. "But what exactly is the Power of the Everfree?"

"Didn't I already say that?" Gloriosa gently skimmed her hand over the magical ball. "The Power of the Everfree controls all of the plantlife in the forest, augmenting and accelerating their growth to levels not even physically possible." With a simple tap on the ball, a blue pulse spread out far into the forest beyond. "This magic has the power to sustain all of the magic in the forest, revive any trees that were felled by Miasma and her company, but also change the forest into a true vision of beauty. Blooms of multiple different glowing colours, nighttime plants that shine brighter and more beautifully than any night light or streetlamp, and pure streams of unhindered magic dancing through the air, keeping it all in check.

"Legend has it that a chosen one shall inherit this power and be bestowed the blessing of Ecoloris himself." Gloriosa looked back up at the girls. "Someone who is pure of heart, devoid of any evil, and has just been an overall samaritan. That chosen one is one of you twelve."

"I already know it's not going to be me or her." Sour looked over at Sweet, gazing at the crystals all around the cave. "Together as one person, we did some pretty bad things back at Crystal Prep Academy."

"It has to be someone who didn't do anything wrong who can use this power." Sunny Flare turned towards the rest of the Rainbooms and Shadowbolts. "And I already know for a fact that we made a pretty big mistake back at the Friendship Games."

"Yeah. We were all just puppets on Cinch's strings." Lemon Zest nodded and took her headphones off. "I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad. I was just caught up in the moment and curious as to what that magic could've done for all of us."

"The Power of the Everfree judges you on everything. Not just one simple mistake denies you the right to use it." Gloriosa patted Lemon Zest's shoulders. "It will judge you based on your personality, your ideals, your actions in the past, and how you affected the world around you. If you meet the criteria, then the power is yours."

"And if we don't?" Fluttershy meekly raised a finger.

"Let's just say you'll see something that'll never leave your heads..." Gloriosa's brows lowered as she looked back at the orb. "It's a bit daunting, I agree. But if you're brave enough to be judged by the orb, then feel free and place your hand on it."

"Look at it, Twilight." Midnight Sparkle crept up behind Sci-Twi as a silhouette and whispered in her ears. "Doesn't it feel inviting? Don't you want to touch it? To learn it? To win this silly little competition with it?"

"No." Sci-Twi looked back at Midnight and gave the monster a glare. "I don't want to be involved with anything involving you ever again. You hurt so many people, and you caused nothing but pain and suffering not just for the Canterlot High students, but for the Crystal Prep Academny kids as well." She balled her hands into fists and stepped forward. "You have no right to haunt me! And the sooner that I banish you from my conscience, the sooner I'll be happier!"

"Happiness? What good is that when all that it brings you is the suffering and jealousy of others?!" Midnight screeched and slithered with her tongue. "When you're happy, the world doesn't seem to agree. The Crystal Prep students didn't like you then, and I'm sure that they all hate you now!"

"Uhh... Girls?" Sunset backed away from Twilight, seeing Midnight Sparkle materialize before her. "It is just me, or is Twilight's visions of Midnight Sparkle becoming a reality?"

"All that you've ever cared about is work, grades, and your own well-being!" Midnight's feet stomped on the ground, her wings unfurled, and her horn shone bright as she took her physical form. "You don't care about anyone or anything else deep down! You're just a mindless and soulless machine, trapped in a world of science books and exam papers! You always have been, and always will be!" With a purple burst of energy, Midnight appeared in full detail in front of Twilight. "And once you have a taste of the magic, you can never go back! I'll always be haunting your every dreams! Hiding in the darkest corners of your mind! Waiting for you to slip up and open yourself up to magic once more!"

"Midnight's back!" Pinkie Pie jumped into the air and waved her arms. "EVERYBODY PANIC AND RUN AROUND IN CIRCLES!" She screamed and yelled as loud as she could, making laps around the altar and the orb.

"Huh?" Midnight looked down at her hand and made it into a claw, creating an orb of black energy. She looked at the other one and saw the exact same result. "Hmm... Perhaps this Power of the Everfree is stronger than you thought, Gloriosa." She turned her gaze to the forest girl and lit up the tip of her horn.

"Who are you?! And how do you know my name?!" Gloriosa took up a battle stance as she eyed up the demon.

"I am Midnight Sparkle." She flapped her wings hard, sending a gust of wind in Gloriosa's face. "Mistress of the darkness, embodiment of the Crystal Prep Shadowbolts, and all of the evil desires of your precious little Twilight Sparkle here."

"Embodiment of the Shadowbolts?! Hah! Get real!" Indigo Zap taunted Midnight, jabbing her finger at her. "You're nothing more than a mistake; one that we should've never made back at the Games!"

"I beg to differ, little ones." Midnight licked her lips and gazed down at the Shadowbolts. "All of your greedy and foolish desires are what created me, and so I actually am part of all of you. No matter how many times you want to deny it, the evidence will always remain clear. The Friendship Games is your sin, and the very same that not only allowed me to rise from Twilight Sparkle, but also cut you off from the light once and for all!"

"I admit. Our disregard brought chaos not only to our school, but to Canterlot High as well." Sunny Flare hung her head and made fists out of her hands too. "But what do YOU have to gain from all of this? Why continuously plague poor Twilight with your infernal malice and desire for destruction?"

"Weak and scared little Sunny Flare." Midnight stomped forward and got right in her face. "Behind all of those big words and supposed generousity, you're nothing more than a face out in the crowd. You conformed to Abacus's rules, and your entire personality was lost as a whole! What are you now, when you are nothing more than a background character?"

"I... I..." Sunny Flare couldn't even find the right words.

"Leave her alone, you big bully!" Lemon Zest pushed Midnight away from Sunny. "You've got no right to talk to Sunny that way!"

"Bah! I reach the limits of my patience. I've no time to deal with your petty antics and sappy talk about friendship!" Midnight slammed her hands against the ground, knocking all of the Shadowbolts against the wall, almost impaling them on the rock formations. "There's a world to be conquered, magic to be discovered, and much more now that I am free from that wretched sap of a vessel." She flew over to the Power of the Everfree and drove her claws into it, causing the ball to turn purple and expel black lightning. "If it's any consolation, Miasma will also be annihilated before I leave this forest. None will survive. Not her. Not you, and especially not New World! This world is mine to rule, and I won't let anyone else say otherwise!"

"NO! STOP!" Gloriosa ran towards the cracked orb but was knocked back against the walls by a dark purple ring of energy that burst out of it. All of her arms and legs were shackled to the walls, and her entire body was chained up.

Sunset Shimmer and Sci-Twi fought against the roaring magical torrent while the rest of their friends were pushed back. They tried using their powers to fight Midnight, but the dark magic that was spewing out of the Power of the Everfree was creating a barrier around her.

"Power of the Everfree. My conquest shall begin anew." Midnight Sparkle spoke in a serene tone to the ball of magic. "Ahh. But know this. I shall use your darkness as much as I desire." The whispers rang in her ears, and she hummed in content as the rest of the ball turned dark purple. "Mark my words. You can no more be complete without me, than I without you.

"Heed me, almightiest of magics. Lend me your power, so that I might be complete." Midnight's horn grew longer, her wings got bigger and sharper, and her claws grew extra long. She contracted a new demonic look and her eyes burned a shade of dark purple. "The power to erase the foolish mortals that hinder me."

"Midnight! STOP THIS!" Sci-Twi screamed as she got closer and closer to Midnight.

"The Rainbooms, who pray and hope with their flimsy Magic of Friendship." Midnight cast glares at them as her arms and legs grew spiky purple armour.

"Midnight! DON'T!" Sunset pleaded as she made it to the altar, continuing to fight back against the blast of energy.

"The Shadowbolts, responsible for my creation." Midnight now cast her gaze on the Shadowbolts as her chest and head now grew armour as well.

"YOU CAN'T CONTROL ANY OF THIS!" Gloriosa cried out from the walls. "YOU'LL END UP DESTROYING YOURSELF!"

"And the rest of these foolish pretenders of magic and control." Midnight's grin grew wider as her horn poked out of the helmet she was now wearing. "Those fools at Canterlot High and Crystal Prep know that magic is beyond their understanding, but it's not beyond mine! MAGIC IS THE BE-ALL AND END ALL FOR EVERYTHING, IN ALL WORLDS!"

With one final blast of light, the cave was entirely destroyed, and a dark purple beam of energy shot out at the thorny dome, lighting all of the vines on fire and making them disappear as the forest began to rise back up to the world, with the night sky now visible.

Once the forest was back to where it used to be, Midnight shot another torrent of energy up into the air, causing a dark purple vortex to blot out the stars and moon that hung in the air. Lightning shot out from the anomaly, as she fired on multiple different parts of the forest, creating new cracks leading not just to Equestria, but to the other worlds that the Gatekey projected.

"I think it's safe to say that we're well and truly screwed." Rainbow Dash looked at the world as Midnight began to use her magic all over it. There were rifts everywhere, and the sky was completely consumed by darkness. "And something tells me that she's not going to be easy to beat this time around..."