• Published 19th Feb 2016
  • 1,223 Views, 22 Comments

Mistakes? - Spaz-TanukiWolf



Scootaloo must cope with the decisions that her friend Button Mash recently made.

  • ...
2
 22
 1,223

Chapter 3: Remembering

About a month ago, Scootaloo asked Button a question. It was three in the morning, and Scootaloo had snuck into Button’s room to play Grand Theft Cart on his PC.

“Bang bang! That’s why you never want Button Mash to answer the scene of the crime!” Button mash exclaimed as he shot everyone involved in the robbery. He was playing a police mod and shooting anyone who commited a crime.

“Wow, Button. Overreact much?” Scootaloo said with a playful smirk.

“You know you like it,” Button responded calmly, noticing her smile.

Scootaloo noticed the Band-Aid on Button’s rump, and another on the back of his hoof. He’d gone to the doctor’s again. This was at least the fifth time that month.

“Hey, Button… Can I ask you something? And, you like, not get mad?” she asked quietly and seriously.

“Sure. What is it?” Button replied.

“Are you, like, terminally ill?” Scootaloo asked softly.

“What? What makes you ask that?” Button said in a strange tone, his ears fell flat. He promptly paused his game. He didn’t sound offended, but it was almost like there was a hint of sadness to his voice.

“Well, you keep going to the doctor’s. And you’ve been doing weird stuff lately. I don’t know that many ponies who spend all their time doing literally whatever pops in their head. Like ordering pizza at two in the morning. Or saying stuff like ‘Oh, well, everypony dies anyway.’ The other night, I woke up, and your face was covered in blood. You just shrugged it off and cleaned your muzzle. It reminds me of ponies that, like… are dying”

Button sighed, and swallowed softly. “I don’t know yet. My doctor says I most likely… Well, I do have stomach cancer. I just don’t know how bad yet. “

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Scootaloo replied as her eyes shifted downward. She shuffled a bit in place, staring at the floor.

“You can’t tell anyone. Nopony else knows. Nopony. Just me, my doctor, and you. Other ponies don’t need to know. They’ll just freak out about it,” he said. Then he was silent for several moments. “Besides, I’m ready”

Scootaloo furrowed her brow and pursed her lips, trying to grasp what that meant. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “What do you mean by… ready”

“Well, I mean, I always say 'everypony dies anyway.' Nothing matters. Everything is insignificant. So, if I know the end is near, I’m just going to bang and do drugs all day,” He smiled playfully, trying to lighten the mood. Scootaloo giggled at the thought of sex for a moment.

“I wish you wouldn’t think of it that way. I’m here for you. Whenever you need me, I’ll be here. Even if it’s just to talk,” Scootaloo offered.

“Trust me, talking doesn’t help the thoughts. Because it’s the truth. What does it matter if I die today, or if I wait? It’s going to happen eventually, and nothing I did will matter,” Button looked away and unpaused his game. The two took turns playing, and didn't mention the illness the rest of the night.