• Published 15th Feb 2016
  • 641 Views, 14 Comments

The Crystal Changeling - Zoljen



What do you do when you discover a changeling that was encased in a crystal egg? Why, get it to tell you a story of adventure!

  • ...
0
 14
 641

The Forest

Crystal let out a soft squeak as she walked in the center of the group of ponies. Four guards, Captain Quake, a random stallion from a nearby village, Rose, Dust, and herself all walked along a path in the darkness of the forest. The two guards in front were unicorns, and letting their magic light the way as they made it through the dark and creepy forest.

“You know,” Rose started up, sounding somewhat shaky as he spoke. “This place is a lot scarier at night.”

“Says the pony of the night,” Dust chuckled weakly, looking around. “If only I had a horn, then I could help light up the area.” He glanced at Crystal, who, despite trying to look as brave as possible, was shaking slightly with each step. “Are you okay Crystal?”

“I’d be better if you two, and him,” she made a small gesture to the mottled red and pink pegasus with them. “Weren't shaking in your horseshoes! Seriously! This is just a forest and there is nothing out there!”

“I beg to differ, Crystal,” Quake huffed, looking at the changeling. “Timberwolves roam within forests, and this forest is actually quite big. Manticores have been seen in the area too, along with a few cockatrice.”

“Are you trying to scare us?” Rose tried to glare at Quake, but only managing to do it weakly. “Because if so, its working!”

“The morphling here is the bravest among you lot? And she is only quaking in fear because of you. Just imagine if she didn't feed off the ambient emotions, she might be worthy of some form of respect then!” Quake let out a soft chortle. “Why! If she does make it through here, and lasts more than a week at training, I’ll eat one of my plated boots!”

“Boy, aren't you being a hard ass.” Dust snorted softly, “Who trained you to be one, Lord General Shiro?”

“Oh, someone has the courage to be snarky to one trained by one of his generals.” Quake leaned closer down to Dust, causing him to scoot a little from him and bump into Crystal, “Yes, Lord General Shiro oversaw my training. However, I was trained by one just a step below him. And these guards were trained by me, and you lot will be trained by me as well.” He straightened up, “So consider yourselves lucky if you survive! I’ll make stallions out of you lot yet!”

“You hear that Crystal,” Dust chuckled weakly. “We get to be trained by a Captain who was trained by a general who was then trained by Lord General Shiro himself! Same training hierarchy my father had.”

Quake arched an eyebrow looking to the earth pony, “And who was your father?”

“Sapphire Hunter.” Crystal stated, calming down a little as the group slowed its stride. Quake blinked as he looked at her. He took the time to look the earth pony and changeling up and down, and before he can speak, she interrupted. “Abandoned, remember? I consider him my father.”

“Hmph, you may consider him a father, but you are not of his blood,” He looked at Dust, “However, you are. I suspect there is a lot hidden under the son of one of the best magic users we had.” Quake looked forward again, forcing the group to pick up its trot some.

“Funny, Dad never really talked about his time in the military.”

“He has seen plenty of things to turn a black pony white for years.” Quake let out a soft sigh, falling silent. The group continues on in silence for what seemed like a few hours. A few howls can be heard, making the ponies not covered in armor jump.

Crystal, being the most sensitive to those around her, squeaked at each sound that passed through the forest. Each branch that got scrapped against another, each rustle in the leaves, everything seemed to keep her and her friends on the tips of their hooves. She kept glancing about as they walked, ears perked constantly and her senses focused on the area.

Maybe that was the purpose of this? To heighten awareness of the area. Being a changeling meant she could detect emotions at probably the same distance that Rose could hear things. Glancing at Rose, she could see his ears constantly on alert, angling towards each howl that sounded. She looked to Dust next, his ears weren't as active, but his eyes seem to be going non-stop in every direction. He was looking around more than the others, especially when a howl sounded.

She looked back at the pegasus next, his eyes were almost going just as fast as Dusts, but his wings were held out a little, as if he was ready to take flight at a moment's notice. Pegasi were so flighty, but that also made her wonder why Rose didn't have his wings like that as well. His were clamped to his flanks, as if they’d been tied down.

She shook her head slightly, and took a look at their armoured escort. The two unicorns in front kept their horns glowing, lighting up the path in front of them and off to the side in a mix of blue and red auras. They were both walking calmly, their light armor clinking softly as they strode, heads held high and ears somewhat perked.

Crystal glanced back at the guards bringing up the rear, a pair of earth ponies with swords in scabbards along their back. They were walking in the same positions as the unicorns ahead of them, though their ears were more perked. She finally looked at Quake, who stood almost a head taller than the others. She could swear he was built huge for a pegasus, and wore what looked like heavy armor.

He kept a halberd held in a wing as he walked, head held high and eyes forward. Maybe she could find a way to feed off of his courage, if she could detect any kind of emotion from him, or the other four. She huffed and resumed her scan of the surrounding forest, thankful she only detected the emotions of the others.

They carried on for what seemed like another hour, before Quake glanced skywards. He nodded for a second before stopping in his tracks, the other guards following his stop a few seconds later, making the untrained ponies all squeak as they stopped too. He popped his neck as he looked around.

“Good place to make camp, don't you think?” he asked nopony in particular. “We can set those tents back up and the new blood can take them.”

“Here?” Rose spoke up, looking around nervously.

“Yes, is there a problem?” Quake narrowed his eyes at the bat pony.

“N...no…” Quake kept narrowing his eyes at Rose, who gulped, “Sir.” Quake nodded.

“Lieutenants Spark and Tendril, you can decide who takes first watch.” The unicorns turned and saluted back to him. One turned to help take the tents off of Dust and Crystal, the other moved a little and stood at one end of the small clearing they were at.

Tendril, one of the unicorns, walked up to Crystal and floated the tent off her back. She nodded and turned, helping unroll it with her magic as they laid it out and started pitching it. she sighed, glancing to the unicorn for a moment before focusing back on the tent.

“You have a question for me, don't you?” The unicorn paused for a moment, glancing to the other tent being set up by Dust, Rose, the pegasus, and one of the earth ponies in armor.

“A few, but mainly why are you in the army?”

“What? Do I seem out of place or something?” Tendril chuckled, “I joined because I wanted to. That's why most ponies join, either because they want to, have no choice, or have nothing left in life. I wanted to defend the helpless, the innocent, and the weak from harm.” He shrugged slightly, looking over the tent. “What about you?”

“Me?” Crystal looked up at him.

“Yeah, why’d you want to follow your friend? You could have easily let him go alone, but you didn't.”

“I…” She looked down, focusing on a tent stake for a moment.

“I think, deep down, you’re looking for something.” Tendril shrugged as he drove the last stake in, then glanced at the other tent, which was moving right along and almost done. “At least you aren't searching alone.”

Crystal blinked, looking at Tendril for a moment, then to her friends. She grinned softly as Rose made some not-so-witty remark and got driven into the dirt by Dust. She turned back to Tendril with a shrug, “This is going to be a rough month I bet.”

“Month?” The voice made her squeak, as she quickly turned to see the chest of Quake. She backed up and looked up at him, seeing his helmet removed and revealing a brown face, with a few scars lining his muzzle. “I plan on training you foals for a lot longer than that.” He grinned, leaning down to Crystal. “And believe me; rough is putting it lightly.”

She gulped, but didn't step back as Quake chuckled.

“Get sleep, you're going to need it.”


Crystal would have prefered the sounds of the birds chirping to rouse her from her slumber, or the sound of a light breeze, or something else that didn't sound like two solid tree trunks landing an inch from her face. She was certainly alert and up though, and on the other side of the tent, sitting on Dust Horn’s back, curled up and wide eyed as she stared at the flat expression of Quake.

That was an hour ago, and the group had taken down the tents and resumed along the path. The earth ponies were leading this time, with the unicorns bringing up the rear. Rose kept yawning as they walked, stumbling every so often as it looked like he didn't get much sleep. Of course, Crystal didn't get much sleep either, and it felt like that once she was asleep, Quake woke her up.

As she glanced at her friends, and the pegasi whom they discovered is named Wind Blast, she noticed that the only one who looked rested was Dust. She wondered how he could of slept in the tent with what all was going on outside of it. Of course, Dust had been known to sleep just about anywhere anyway.

Still, at least the walk in the forest during the day was better. They were all walking at a faster pace, since the sunlight was keeping the unarmoured ponies from walking in constant fear. Crystal glanced at Rose, who had yawned again.

“How much sleep did you get?”

“What is,” He paused to yawn. “Sleep?” He glanced at Crystal, stumbling for a moment before he got caught in her green aura. “Thanks.” He yawned again as he righted himself.

“Heh, did you and Wind Blast stay up later chatting away?” she glanced to the pegasus, who yawned widely as well.

“No,” He said calmly, looking at her. “We couldn't get to sleep. Every time we got close, something would snap or crack and we’d bolt upright.” Wind shook his head, sighing. “I can't wait till we reach that encampment, at least then we won't be in a scary forest.”

“Just a stone's throw from it, that's all.” Quake casually remarked next to them, making the four squeak softly.

“You know,” Crystal started, after calming down from the sudden scare. “It's a wonder you're so quiet with that heavy armor on.”

“Yeah, can you even fly?” Rose asked, looking back at Quake.

Quake merely let out a soft chuckle, extending his wings, which were covered in light plates, and flapped only twice to get to a hover. “This armor is actually much lighter than it looks, and still just as strong as heavy armor.” He let himself fall, returning to the ground with a very light clop. “This armor is designed by the Lord General himself. And all pegasi Generals and Colonels wear it.”

“Colonel? But I thought you said you’re a Captain.” Rose raised an eyebrow at Quake.

“That I am. Shiro saw it fit that I be a Captain, and given this armor.”

“Yeah, since you didn't want the job of Colonel.” Tendril muttered softly. Quake growled faintly and turned on him. He narrowed his eyes at him for a few moments before just sighing and turning back.

“And you can do ten laps, in heavy armor, when we get back to the camp, for that remark.” Huffed Quake.

“AWWW! I didn't mean it like that sir!” Whined the unicorn.

“Do you want 20?” Quake arched an eyebrow at the unicorn, who straightened up and shook his head quickly. “Good.” He looked at the group. “We should be arriving at the camp by mid afternoon. You will be assigned your tents and given the rest of the day to familiarize yourself with the grounds. Tomorrow, your fun begins.” Crystal could almost hear the faint evil intent in that last sentence.

The group marched on in silence after that, only the sounds of the birds and their hooves breaking up the stillness. A few hours passed before they cleared the forest and opened up into plains. The ponies stopped for a moment, looking around and seeing nothing but rolling plains.

“Uhh, Captain sir. Unless the camp is in the clouds, we don't see it.” Rose looked up, just to be sure.

“I said a stone’s throw, I didn't say where.” Quake grunted, pointing along the forest edge. “We hike on our own path now.” The earth ponies led the group along the forest edge.

“Ugh, more hiking?” Rose whined.

Quake lowered himself next to Rose with a glare, “You were the one who signed up for this. Did you think it was all sunshine and roses?” Rose squeaked softly with Quake so close. “Well it aint, get used to it. Unless you wish to fly back with your tail between your legs.” He straightened up, “And lose whatever bet was placed.”

Rose sighed heavily as he hung his head, “You're going to hold that over me, aren't you?”

“Every minute that you’re awake, colt.” Quake smirked, “Let's move out, shall we? I’m sure you're all hungry.”

They all nodded and seemed eager to start hiking, even if the pegasus and bat pony started whining ten minutes after going along the unwalked path. The group eventually made it to a hill, and upon cresting it, finally saw the encampment.

The encampment was set up as various lines of tents. There were two large tents set up next to each other, with a smaller one in between them. Another large tent sat off to the left of the lines, where a few ponies were going in and out of. Quake smirked as he let the young ponies look it all over.

“Say hello to your new home for the next few months.” Quake sweeps an arm towards the encampment.